Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 20:52 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 20:52

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 120 [109]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 23 [13]
Given Kudos: 8
WE:Architecture (Investment Banking)
Send PM
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 63658 [8]
Given Kudos: 1773
GMAT 1: 780 Q51 V46
GMAT 2: 800 Q51 V51
GRE 1: Q170 V170

GRE 2: Q170 V170
Send PM
General Discussion
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 213 [2]
Send PM
Re: A researcher studying drug addicts found that, on average, they tend [#permalink]
Kudos
(A) After becoming addicted to drugs, drug addicts learn to manipulate other people as a way of obtaining drugs.

If addicts learn to become manipulative after becoming one, then the researchers assertion that the people who are manipulative become addicts falls apart. The causal relationship is no longer evident.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 13 [7]
Send PM
Re: A researcher studying drug addicts found that, on average, they tend [#permalink]
Kudos
Bookmarks
Yes, the answer is 100% A

This argument is the typical correlation causation problem we see with many CR questions. Researchers have found a high incidence of those who manipulate others within drug addicts. They conclude that it is the manipulation that leads people to become drug addicts.

To weaken the argument, we can:

1) Remove the manipulation and show that people are still drug addicts

2) Give an alternate cause for drug addiction, or

3) Show that drug addiction leads to manipulation

The only answer choice that clearly does any of the above, is A.

Choice D, as many people who posted above me said, does not specifically attack the argument. It is a very weak attempt at weakening the argument...
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 147 [3]
Given Kudos: 100
Send PM
Kudos
A researcher studying drug addicts found that, on average, they tend to manipulate other people a great deal more than nonaddicts do. The researcher concluded that people who frequently manipulate other people are likely to become addicts.

Which of the following, if true, most seriously weakens the researcher’s conclusion?

(A) After becoming addicted to drugs, drug addicts learn to manipulate other people as a way of obtaining drugs. Drug addicts learn to manipulate other people after becoming addicted to drugs. This weakens the the argument. Correct
(B) When they are imprisoned, drug addicts often use their ability to manipulate other people to obtain better living conditions. Irrevelent
(C) Some nonaddicts manipulate other people more than some addicts do. The stimulus is talking about the entire group not some people from the group, Incorrecr
(D) People who are likely to become addicts exhibit unusual behavior patterns other than frequent manipulation of other people. Incorrect, Does not weaken the argument.
(E) The addicts that the researcher studied were often unsuccessful in obtaining what they wanted when they manipulated other people. Incorrect, Does not weaken the argument
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 398 [1]
Given Kudos: 120
GMAT 1: 720 Q50 V38
GPA: 4
Send PM
Kudos
I am confused between A & D here. I can clearly see that A is correct and thats what I have marked. But, I have no idea how D isnt the right answer.

The confusion, in my opinion, lies in the meaning of the word "Other than". If we take other than to mean, apart from or in addition to, D can easily be eliminated.
The another meaning of "Other than" can be except. In that case, The sentence is trying to convey that there are other indicators and not the one author is talking about. So it weakens author's conclusion by saying that the said indicator is not relavant.

Can experts please clarify? egmat mikemcgarry GMATNinja
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 0 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Send PM
GMATNinja wrote:
darshak1 wrote:
I am confused between A & D here. I can clearly see that A is correct and thats what I have marked. But, I have no idea how D isnt the right answer.

The confusion, in my opinion, lies in the meaning of the word "Other than". If we take other than to mean, apart from or in addition to, D can easily be eliminated.
The another meaning of "Other than" can be except. In that case, The sentence is trying to convey that there are other indicators and not the one author is talking about. So it weakens author's conclusion by saying that the said indicator is not relavant.

Quote:
(D) People who are likely to become addicts exhibit unusual behavior patterns other than frequent manipulation of other people.

Here, "other than" means "outside of." It is possible that the people referred to in (D) display only these additional "unusual behavior patterns," or that they both frequently manipulate others and display other unusual behavior patterns.

Let's say that the "unusual behavior pattern" in (D) is excessive nose picking. (D) tells us that people who are likely to become addicts are DEFINITELY excessive nose pickers. However, (D) does NOT tell us whether these likely addicts frequently manipulate other people -- maybe they do, and maybe they do not. In other words, the information in (D) does not exclude the possibility that people who are likely to become addicts frequently manipulate others.

Because (D) does not give us any relevant information pertaining to the conclusion in the passage ("people who frequently manipulate other people are likely to become addicts"), it does not weaken that conclusion.

I hope that helps!

GMATNinja

When we say A causes B, we make an assumption that A is the only cause of B. Now Option D is saying, other than A, X also causes B. In a way, it is breaking down an assumption that A is the only cause of B. Ideally, this should be a weakener then. Where am I going wrong? Please explain.
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 63658 [0]

Send PM
Expert Reply
rk0510 wrote:
GMATNinja wrote:
darshak1 wrote:

Quote:
(D) People who are likely to become addicts exhibit unusual behavior patterns other than frequent manipulation of other people.

Here, "other than" means "outside of." It is possible that the people referred to in (D) display only these additional "unusual behavior patterns," or that they both frequently manipulate others and display other unusual behavior patterns.

Let's say that the "unusual behavior pattern" in (D) is excessive nose picking. (D) tells us that people who are likely to become addicts are DEFINITELY excessive nose pickers. However, (D) does NOT tell us whether these likely addicts frequently manipulate other people -- maybe they do, and maybe they do not. In other words, the information in (D) does not exclude the possibility that people who are likely to become addicts frequently manipulate others.

Because (D) does not give us any relevant information pertaining to the conclusion in the passage ("people who frequently manipulate other people are likely to become addicts"), it does not weaken that conclusion.

I hope that helps!

GMATNinja

When we say A causes B, we make an assumption that A is the only cause of B. Now Option D is saying, other than A, X also causes B. In a way, it is breaking down an assumption that A is the only cause of B. Ideally, this should be a weakener then. Where am I going wrong? Please explain.

If I say that high unemployment causes low GDP growth, that does not mean that there are not other causes (lack of innovation, government policies, pandemics, etc.) of low GDP growth. In other words, to claim one thing causes another does not assume the former is the ONLY cause of the latter. There can be multiple causes (frequent manipulation, nose picking, etc.) of a single result (addiction).

Still, the other error in your logic is that the researcher DOES NOT conclude that frequently manipulating others CAUSES one to become an addict. Instead, he/she simply concludes that those who frequently manipulate are likely to become addicts. That indicates these two things are CORRELATED, but not necessarily that frequent manipulation CAUSES addiction.

For those reasons, in addition to what we’ve laid out in our previous post, we can eliminate (D).

I hope that helps!
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 3 [2]
Given Kudos: 36
Send PM
Kudos
drug addicts ----> tend to manipulate more than nonaddicts do

people who frequently manipulate ----> likely to become addicts

This is Cause and Effect relationship

Cause ---> manipulation

Effect ---> becoming addict

So, M ---> A

Answer choice A correctly says, A ---> M. In other words, it reverses the action, saying the cause is A, not M.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 28 [2]
Given Kudos: 10
Concentration: Strategy, Sustainability
GPA: 4
Send PM
Kudos
Let's analyse argument
Premise- drug addicts manipulate people more than non addicts.
Conclusion people who manipulate others might or are likely to become addicts

The question wants us to weaken the conclusion

A. A it says people manipulate others after getting addicted to drugs. This weakens the conclusion because it shows an effect(MANIPULATION) after the action(ADDITION) is performed.

B. This option says why drug addicts do manipulations. It does not address the conclusion that people who manipulates are likely to become addicts.

C. This option compares non addicts to addicts. Irrelevant

D. this option states that people have other behaviour patterns as well. in other words this people manipulate plus display other behavioral patterns.

E. This option tells us that their manipulations are not successful this option is irrelevant because it does not address the conclusion to weaken it.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 13 [0]
Given Kudos: 135
Send PM
govinam wrote:
A researcher studying drug addicts found that, on average, they tend to manipulate other people a great deal more than nonaddicts do. The researcher concluded that people who frequently manipulate other people are likely to become addicts.

Which of the following, if true, most seriously weakens the researcher’s conclusion?

(A) After becoming addicted to drugs, drug addicts learn to manipulate other people as a way of obtaining drugs.
(B) When they are imprisoned, drug addicts often use their ability to manipulate other people to obtain better living conditions.
(C) Some nonaddicts manipulate other people more than some addicts do.
(E) The addicts that the researcher studied were often unsuccessful in obtaining what they wanted when they manipulated other people.

AjiteshArun GMATNinja VeritasKarishma

My doubt is w.r.t to the Main conclusion of researchers: " The researcher concluded that people who frequently manipulate other people are likely to become addicts."

Question stem asks to weaken researchers conclusion.

So, as per my understanding , conclusion is not about any causality.it just says people who frequently manipulate are likely to become drug addicts.

weakening would be: Some people who frequently manipulate are not likely to become drug addicts..- No answer choice mentions such scenario.

Further,correct option A would have been correct, had conclusion be about causality i.e " manipulation caused people to become drug addicts". in that it says First people were addicts & then they learned to manipulate.

i am facing issues in approaching correlation questions. Please help on this one as to where i am faltering & also how to approach for correlation questions.
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 4653 [1]
Given Kudos: 631
GMAT Focus 1:
715 Q83 V90 DI83
GMAT 1: 780 Q50 V51
GRE 1: Q170 V169
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
gmatassassin88 wrote:
weakening would be: Some people who frequently manipulate are not likely to become drug addicts..- No answer choice mentions such scenario.

Hi gmatassassin88,

Here's the argument:
1. DAs tend to be more manipulative than non-DAs. ← This is the support.
2. Therefore, manipulative people are more likely to become DAs. ← This is the conclusion.

We can't get from (1) to (2) very easily. The author makes an assumption here, that "manipulative behavior" (M) does not start after "becoming an addict" (A). Now, weakening an assumption is a very common way to weaken an argument, so something like "M does start after A" would weaken the argument. That is, if the manipulative behavior develops only after the addiction, then clearly the author's conclusion that the manipulative behavior was in place before the addiction is severely weakened.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 13 [1]
Given Kudos: 135
Send PM
AjiteshArun wrote:
gmatassassin88 wrote:

Hi gmatassassin88,

Here's the argument:
1. DAs tend to be more manipulative than non-DAs. ← This is the support.
2. Therefore, manipulative people are more likely to become DAs. ← This is the conclusion.

We can't get from (1) to (2) very easily. The author makes an assumption here, that "manipulative behavior" (M) does not start after "becoming an addict" (A). Now, weakening an assumption is a very common way to weaken an argument, so something like "M does start after A" would weaken the argument. That is, if the manipulative behavior develops only after the addiction, then clearly the author's conclusion that the manipulative behavior was in place before the addiction is severely weakened.

AjiteshArun I think argument says DA tend to manipulate other people contrary to what you mentioned that DA themselves becoming manipulative.

Though i understood the point you are trying to establish, please find my understanding below accordingly

first->People tend to manipulate other people. Secondly (then) People are likely to become DA.

assumption here is : people already knew to how to manipulate & then they become DA.option A weakens the same by saying people are already DA & then they learn to manipulate.
Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 64904 [0]
Given Kudos: 426
Send PM
Expert Reply
gmatassassin88 wrote:
govinam wrote:

(B) When they are imprisoned, drug addicts often use their ability to manipulate other people to obtain better living conditions.
(C) Some nonaddicts manipulate other people more than some addicts do.
(E) The addicts that the researcher studied were often unsuccessful in obtaining what they wanted when they manipulated other people.

AjiteshArun GMATNinja VeritasKarishma

My doubt is w.r.t to the Main conclusion of researchers: " The researcher concluded that people who frequently manipulate other people are likely to become addicts."

Question stem asks to weaken researchers conclusion.

So, as per my understanding , conclusion is not about any causality.it just says people who frequently manipulate are likely to become drug addicts.

Further,correct option A would have been correct, had conclusion be about causality i.e " manipulation caused people to become drug addicts". in that it says First people were addicts & then they learned to manipulate.

i am facing issues in approaching correlation questions. Please help on this one as to where i am faltering & also how to approach for correlation questions.

Consider this:
Tall people are likely to do better at sports.

What are you saying here? That their height helps them in some way to be better at sports, right? There is an implied causality.

The research found that drug addiction and manipulating people are linked.

Conclusion: People who frequently manipulate other people are likely to become addicts.
(The conclusion says that people who manipulate others become addicts so the manipulation is the cause of addiction).

But what if addiction is the one causing manipulations? If a person becomes addicted, he manipulates others to fulfil his addiction needs (money for drugs etc). This will weaken the conclusion that manipulative people are likely to become addicts.

Hence (A) is correct.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 56 [1]
Given Kudos: 110
GRE 1: Q167 V160
Send PM
Kudos

I'm posting an explanation because I struggled with options A, C and D, and while GMATNinja has pointed out the flaw in Option D, I wanted to confirm my learning from option A and C too

Gaps:
1) Manipulating more is not the same thing is manipulating more frequently
2) There seems to be a correlation between addiction and manipulation. It could be that addiction leads to manipulation and not the other way round

Initially, I rejected this option thinking that it doesn't tell me what addicts do before becoming addicted - maybe these non-addicts are manipulative for different reasons. Basically, what I was thinking about was:
1. People learn to manipulate others
2. Become drug addicts
3. Learn to manipulate for a very specific cause

The key lesson here was the presence of the word learn. 'Learning manipulation' would only happen once, its application, however, might change based on the stage of addiction. Hence, if my case were true, the verb in the sentence would have been use instead of learn.

1. People learn to manipulate others
2. Become drug addicts
3. Use manipulation tactics for a specific cause

[b]GMATNinja : Could you please tell me if my understanding is correct?[/b] What if option A were: 'After becoming addicted, people use manipulation tactics to obtain drugs' - in that case, would this option weaken our conclusion that manipulation is more likely to lead to addiction?

(C) Some non-addicts manipulate other people more than some addicts do.
We can have 3 categories of people:
i) Non-addicts who don't manipulate
ii) Non-addicts who manipulate
iii) Addicts who manipulate

This argument seems to be saying that x people in group (ii) are more manipulative (whatever that means) than y people in group iii
However, we were simply concerned with a comparison of people in group i) and group ii)

Hence, out of scope

(D) People who are likely to become addicts exhibit unusual behavior patterns other than frequent manipulation of other people
GMATNinja's explanation for this is perfect- patterns 'other than' could mean maybe they frequently manipulate, maybe they don't.
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 63658 [2]

Send PM
Kudos