GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 15 Nov 2018, 04:37

ISB R1 results on Nov 15:

Join Chat Room for Live Updates

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel
Events & Promotions in November
PrevNext
SuMoTuWeThFrSa
Open Detailed Calendar
  • Free GMAT Strategy Webinar

November 17, 2018

November 17, 2018

07:00 AM PST

09:00 AM PST

Nov. 17, 7 AM PST. Aiming to score 760+? Attend this FREE session to learn how to Define your GMAT Strategy, Create your Study Plan and Master the Core Skills to excel on the GMAT.
  • GMATbuster's Weekly GMAT Quant Quiz # 9

November 17, 2018

November 17, 2018

09:00 AM PST

11:00 AM PST

Join the Quiz Saturday November 17th, 9 AM PST. The Quiz will last approximately 2 hours. Make sure you are on time or you will be at a disadvantage.

A retail item is offered at a discount of p percent (where p

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Study Buddy Forum Moderator
D
WE: Engineering (Other)
Premium Member CAT Tests
Re: A retail item is offered at a discount of p percent (where p  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 14 Apr 2018, 19:29
niks18

I think there was a gap in putting my query as well as steps.

Here is my re framed query:

Quote:
A retail item is offered at a discount of p percent (where p > 10), with a 5% state sales tax assessed on the discounted purchase price. If the state sales tax were not assessed, what percent discount from the item’s original retail price, in terms of p, would result in the same final price?

Quote:
A retail item is offered at a discount of p percent (where p > 10), with a 5% state sales tax assessed on the discounted purchase price

Let us say original price is $100 since i am dealing with %tages and discounts.

I can have all sort of combinations from :
100 * 0.8 * 1.05 .. . . (1) when p =20
to
100*0.7*1.05
.. . . (2) when p =30

Note that both values of p are permissible since all I am given in question stem is: p> 10
As you can see, both (1) and (2) are permissible and yet shall yield a different final answer,
the one that is not permissible in PS. We need to get an unique ans to a Q in PS

It's the journey that brings us happiness not the destination.

PS Forum Moderator
D
GPA: 3.82
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member Reviews Badge
Re: A retail item is offered at a discount of p percent (where p  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 15 Apr 2018, 10:41
adkikani wrote:
niks18

I think there was a gap in putting my query as well as steps.

Here is my re framed query:

Quote:
A retail item is offered at a discount of p percent (where p > 10), with a 5% state sales tax assessed on the discounted purchase price. If the state sales tax were not assessed, what percent discount from the item’s original retail price, in terms of p, would result in the same final price?

Quote:
A retail item is offered at a discount of p percent (where p > 10), with a 5% state sales tax assessed on the discounted purchase price

Let us say original price is $100 since i am dealing with %tages and discounts.

I can have all sort of combinations from :
100 * 0.8 * 1.05 .. . . (1) when p =20
to
100*0.7*1.05
.. . . (2) when p =30

Note that both values of p are permissible since all I am given in question stem is: p> 10
As you can see, both (1) and (2) are permissible and yet shall yield a different final answer,
the one that is not permissible in PS. We need to get an unique ans to a Q in PS

Hi adkikani

Note, here you are "assuming" values for "p" and each of your assumption will give a different value. hence value of the equation at p=20 and p=30 will be different. However important point to note is that whatever value you assume, you must stick to that value and then check the options by substituting only that particular value of p.

so for this question you are assuming p=20, then you will get the final price as 100*0.8*1.05=84. Note this is the final price under the assumed condition and not the "Actual" final price because we don't know the actual value of "p"

now when testing the options you will have to use p=20 only.

In quant question we need to know the unique value, but since you are solving this question through substitution method, you can assume any value permissible under the given condition and test the equation accordingly. There will be however only ONE option that will give you the correct value for the assumed parameter, in this case only Option C will give you the correct value for any assumed value of p, hence you are getting a unique solution.
GMAT Club Bot
Re: A retail item is offered at a discount of p percent (where p &nbs [#permalink] 15 Apr 2018, 10:41

Go to page   Previous    1   2   [ 22 posts ] 

A retail item is offered at a discount of p percent (where p

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Copyright

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap