It is currently 22 Feb 2018, 02:15

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

A ruined structure found at Aqaba, Jordan, was probably a church as in

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Manager
Manager
B
GMAT 1: 690 Q48 V36
GPA: 3.54
CAT Tests
Re: A ruined structure found at Aqaba, Jordan, was probably a church as in [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 16 Jan 2018, 22:35
EducationAisle wrote:
sunny91 wrote:
Hi EducationAisle,
In OA E, how can the article- 'the' and such as go together.
Example- I love places, such as Denmark and Nepal.
I love the places, such as Denmark and Nepal.--> This is wrong. We cant use the with such as

In OA E- That a ruined structure found at Aqaba, Jordan, was probably a church is indicated by its eastward orientation and overall plan, as well as by the artifacts, such as glass-oil lamp fragments.My questions i how come the artifacts go in line with such as?

Hi sunny91, the sentence under consideration isn't the same as:

I love the places, such as Denmark and Nepal.

It is similar to:

I love the mountainous places, such as Denmark and Nepal, that offer a serene environment.

Basically the difference here is the presence of a comma before such as and a subsequent modifier, making the entire such as... phrase non-essential. So, the core of the sentence would be:

I love the mountainous places that offer a serene environment.

Am sure you would be fine with the above sentence using a the.

Having said that, GMAT doesn't really test you on articles, so an article would not be something I would focus on, to eliminate/choose an option.

Hi EducationAisle,
Thanks for the quick reply.
I guess the following sentence is correct where there is no comma and 'the' article.
I love mountainous places such as Denmark and Nepal-->Right

I guess the following sentence is incorrect without the use of comma and with 'the' article.
I love the mountainous places such as Denmark and Nepal-->Wrong

Please clarify if my understanding is correct
1 KUDOS received
Director
Director
S
Re: A ruined structure found at Aqaba, Jordan, was probably a church as in [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 16 Jan 2018, 22:42
This post received
KUDOS
sunny91 wrote:
Hi EducationAisle,
Thanks for the quick reply.
I guess the following sentence is correct where there is no comma and 'the' article.
I love mountainous places such as Denmark and Nepal-->Right

I guess the following sentence is incorrect without the use of comma and with 'the' article.
I love the mountainous places such as Denmark and Nepal-->Wrong

Please clarify if my understanding is correct

That's right.

But would like to reiterate what I had mentioned in my last post: GMAT doesn't really test you on articles, so an article would not be something I would focus on, to eliminate/choose an option :-) .

Thanks,
Ashish (GMAT Faculty @ EducationAisle)
http://www.EducationAisle.com

Sentence Correction Nirvana available at Amazon.in and Flipkart

Now! Preview the entire Grammar Section of Sentence Correction Nirvana at pothi.com

Intern
Intern
B
GPA: 3.34

Show Tags

New post 01 Feb 2018, 21:36
(B) A ruined structure found at Aqaba, Jordan, once probably being a church, was indicated by its eastward orientation, overall plan, and

(B) is wrong because it seems like it is saying the ruined structure no longer is indicated by the orientation and plan and artifacts.
Re: A ruined structure found at Aqaba, Jordan, was probably a church as in   [#permalink] 01 Feb 2018, 21:36

Go to page   Previous    1   2   3   4   [ 63 posts ] 

A ruined structure found at Aqaba, Jordan, was probably a church as in

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap