GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 20 Aug 2018, 03:47

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

A ruined structure found at Aqaba, Jordan, was probably a church as in

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Intern
Intern
GPA: 3.96
GMAT ToolKit User Reviews Badge
A ruined structure found at Aqaba, Jordan, was probably a church as in  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post Updated on: 18 Aug 2017, 09:00
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

75% (hard)

Question Stats:

58% (01:32) correct 42% (01:19) wrong based on 3027 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

A ruined structure found at Aqaba, Jordan, was probably a church as indicated in its eastward orientation and by its overall plan, as well as artifacts, such as glass-oil lamp fragments, found at the site.

(A) A ruined structure found at Aqaba, Jordan, was probably a church, as indicated in its eastward orientation and by its overall plan, as well as

(B) A ruined structure found at Aqaba, Jordan, once probably being a church, was indicated by its eastward orientation, overall plan, and

(C) Indicating that a ruined structure found at Aqaba, Jordan, was probably a church were its eastward orientation and overall plan, but also the

(D) A ruined structure found at Aqaba, Jordan, was probably a church, as indicates its eastward orientation and overall plan, as well as the

(E) That a ruined structure found at Aqaba, Jordan, was probably a church is indicated by its eastward orientation and overall plan, as well as by the

Originally posted by schak2rhyme on 05 Aug 2015, 01:33.
Last edited by hazelnut on 18 Aug 2017, 09:00, edited 5 times in total.
Formatted the question.
Most Helpful Expert Reply
Retired Moderator
D
Status: worked for Kaplan's associates, but now on my own, free and flying
WE: Education (Education)
Re: A ruined structure found at Aqaba, Jordan, was probably a church as in  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 06 Aug 2015, 01:46
The prepositional parallelism should be maintained in all the arms of a list.

(A) A ruined structure found at Aqaba, Jordan, was probably a church, as indicated in its eastward orientation and by its overall plan, as well as --- The correct parallelism is 'by its eastward orientation, by its overall plan as well as by artifacts' – wrong

(B) A ruined structure found at Aqaba, Jordan, once probably being a probably a church, was indicated by its eastward orientation, overall plan, and --- meaning totally changed; the structure was not indicated; that the structure was a church was indicated by several factors. Wrong

(C) Indicating that a ruined structure found at Aqaba, Jordan, was probably a church were its eastward orientation and overall plan, but also the--- If we intend to use ‘but also', then we must also have used ‘not only’ prior to it.

(D) A ruined structure found at Aqaba,Jordan,was, was probably a church, ‘as indicates’ its eastward orientation and overall plan, as well as the --- ‘as indicates’; we must either say ‘as indicated by ’ or simply say ‘as it indicates’ – Per se, this is a fragment

(E)That a ruined structure found at Aqaba,Jordan,was probably a church is indicated by its eastward orientation and overall plan, as well as by the --- The best of the constructions

you can know a lot about something and not really understand it."-- a quote
No one knows this better than a GMAT student does.
Narendran +9198845 44509

Most Helpful Community Reply
Intern
Intern
Re: A ruined structure found at Aqaba, Jordan, was probably a church as in  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 09 Oct 2015, 04:02
A: as indicated
Here, it is not crystal clear WHAT is indicated.
Eliminate A.

B: A ruined structure...was indicated by its orientation.
This meaning is nonsensical:
An ORIENTATION cannot indicate a STRUCTURE.
Eliminate B.

but must serve to connect CONTRASTING IDEAS.
C: its eastward orientation and overall plan, but also the artifacts
Here, the usage of but is inappropriate, since the orientation, the plan and the artifacts are NOT contrasting ideas.
Rather, all three serve THE SAME FUNCTION: they indicate that the ruined structure was probably a church.
Eliminate C.

D: as indicates its eastward orientation and overall plan
Here, indicates (singular) does not agree with its eastward orientation and overall plan (plural subject).
Eliminate D.

The correct answer is E.
General Discussion
Retired Moderator
S
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 19 Sep 2015, 10:27
A ruined structure found at Aqaba,Jordan,was probably a church as indicated in its eastward orientation and by its overall plan,as well as artifacts,such as glass-oil lamp fragments,found at the site

A ruined.... phrase correctly modifies the structure Jordan.
The fact that it may be a church is indicated by 3 factors
    its eastward direction
    by its overall plan and
    as well as artifacts
These 3 are found at site.

Now in given sentence all these 3 do not follow parallel construction with only one by for 2nd item. Hence A is wrong.

now going for other options

(B) A ruined structure found at Aqaba,Jordan,once probably being a church,was indicated by its eastward orientation,overall plan,and
once probably being a church............[color=#ff0000]gives a meaning error spoiled by once and being(for past tense).

(C) Indicating that a ruined structure found at Aqaba,Jordan,was probably a church were its eastward orientation and overall plan,but also the
Using Present continuous tense Indicating for past event is wrong. Also Jordan is a structure and it is not indicating sth. This is wrong meaning wise because of wrong modifier.
not only...........but also......... is also used wrongly

(D) A ruined structure found at Aqaba,Jordan,was probably a church,as indicates its eastward orientation and overall plan,as well as the
present tense indicates changes the whole meaning of the sentence.

(E)That a ruined structure found at Aqaba,Jordan,was probably a church is indicated by its eastward orientation and overall plan,as well as by the
even though, Use of That in modifier part seems somewhat awkward to me, parallel structure in this sentence is well written without error.

That a ruined.... phrase correctly modifies the structure Jordan.
The fact that it may be a church is indicated by 3 factors
    by its eastward direction and its overall plan
    by artifacts

The only time you can lose is when you give up. Try hard and you will suceed.
Thanks = Kudos. Kudos are appreciated

http://gmatclub.com/forum/rules-for-posting-in-verbal-gmat-forum-134642.html
When you post a question Pls. Provide its source & TAG your questions
Avoid posting from unreliable sources.

My posts
http://gmatclub.com/forum/beauty-of-coordinate-geometry-213760.html#p1649924
http://gmatclub.com/forum/calling-all-march-april-gmat-takers-who-want-to-cross-213154.html
http://gmatclub.com/forum/possessive-pronouns-200496.html
http://gmatclub.com/forum/double-negatives-206717.html
http://gmatclub.com/forum/the-greatest-integer-function-223595.html#p1721773
https://gmatclub.com/forum/improve-reading-habit-233410.html#p1802265

Manager
Manager
G
WE: Supply Chain Management (Computer Hardware)
GMAT ToolKit User

Show Tags

New post 23 Sep 2015, 15:49
A ruined structure found at Aqaba, Jordan, was probably a church, as indicated in its eastward orientation and by its overall plan, as well as artifacts, such as glass oil-lamp fragments, found at the site.

(A) A ruined structure found at Aqaba, Jordan, was probably a church, as indicated in its eastward orientation and by its overall plan, as well as
(B) A ruined structure found at Aqaba, Jordan, once probably being a church, was indicated by its eastward orientation, overall plan, and
(C) Indicating that a ruined structure found at Aqaba, Jordan, was probably a church were its eastward orientation and overall plan, but also the
(D) A ruined structure found at Aqaba, Jordan, was probably a church, as indicates its eastward orientation and overall plan, as well as the
(E) That a ruined structure found at Aqaba, Jordan, was probably a church is indicated by its eastward orientation and overall plan, as well as by the

In (A) indicated by --in its eastward orientation and by its overall plan, as well as are not parallel.
In (B)once probably being -- incorrect
IN (C) Indicating that a ruined and but also ( the introduction of but also doesnt make sense) -- incorrect
IN (D) indicates is present
In(E) best
Intern
Intern

Show Tags

New post 06 Jan 2016, 10:35
I agree that (E) is the best option available. But can someone explain this option in more detail please?

I felt it would be better if (E) goes like "That ... is indicated by its eastward orientation, overall plan, as well as artifacts...", instead of "That ... is indicated by its eastward orientation and overall plan, as well as by the artifacts..."

Thanks!
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
GMAT 1: 760 Q50 V44

Show Tags

New post 07 Jan 2016, 02:58
kevinyuan136 wrote:
I agree that (E) is the best option available. But can someone explain this option in more detail please?

I felt it would be better if (E) goes like "That ... is indicated by its eastward orientation, overall plan, as well as artifacts...", instead of "That ... is indicated by its eastward orientation and overall plan, as well as by the artifacts..."

Thanks!

The statement in the given form talks about two different list of things, hence the given construction.
It talks about the "something related to architecture", as well as the "artifacts"

Does this help?
Math Expert
V

Show Tags

New post 07 Jan 2016, 03:20
kevinyuan136 wrote:

Thanks!

Hi kevinyuan136 and gibbet,

It will not be ok to replace or add 'as well as' or 'and'...
the role of 'as well as' is to lay extra emphasis on the preceding term, whereas 'and' lays equal emphasis..

now if you look at the Q
it lays emphasis on 'eastward orientation and overall plan' and less emphasis on 'artifacts'....
so you have to keep the original meaning..

Quote:
The statement in the given form talks about two different list of things, hence the given construction.
It talks about the "something related to architecture", as well as the "artifacts"

Does this help?

TeamGMATIFY, the emphasis is the main reason and not to list out different things...
the different things would actually be mentioned as such..

That ... is indicated by its eastward orientation and overall plan, and by the artifacts..."

Hope it helped

1) Absolute modulus : http://gmatclub.com/forum/absolute-modulus-a-better-understanding-210849.html#p1622372
2)Combination of similar and dissimilar things : http://gmatclub.com/forum/topic215915.html
3) effects of arithmetic operations : https://gmatclub.com/forum/effects-of-arithmetic-operations-on-fractions-269413.html

GMAT online Tutor

VP
VP
S

Show Tags

New post 08 Jan 2016, 08:44
rest wrote:
A ruined structure found at Aqaba, Jordan, was probably a church, as indicated in its eastward orientation and by its overall plan, as well as artifacts, such as glass oil-lamp fragments, found at the site.

why a is wrong
indicated modify subject of main clause
A is
structure was a church as structure is indicated. no logic

visit my facebook to help me.
on facebook, my name is: thang thang thang

Math Expert
V

Show Tags

New post 08 Jan 2016, 09:18
thangvietnam wrote:
rest wrote:

why a is wrong
indicated modify subject of main clause
A is
structure was a church as structure is indicated. no logic

Hi,

lets see why A is wrong and E is the correct choice..

A ruined structure found at Aqaba, Jordan, was probably a church, as indicated in its eastward orientation and by its overall plan, as well as artifacts, such as glass oil-lamp fragments, found at the site....

1) indicated in" is not the correct usage indicated by.. is correct..
indicated in would be better used in a sentence like..
the route was indicated on the paper..
the war was imminent as per the news indicated in various newspaper..

2) 'by the ' is missing before the artifacts, so there is a parallelism issue...
if I remove other parallel issues, it would read..
]A ruined structure found at Aqaba, Jordan, was probably a church, as indicatedin its eastward orientation and by its overall plan, as well asartifacts, such as glass oil-lamp fragments, found at the site...
as indicated artifacts, such as,... does not make sense..

1) Absolute modulus : http://gmatclub.com/forum/absolute-modulus-a-better-understanding-210849.html#p1622372
2)Combination of similar and dissimilar things : http://gmatclub.com/forum/topic215915.html
3) effects of arithmetic operations : https://gmatclub.com/forum/effects-of-arithmetic-operations-on-fractions-269413.html

GMAT online Tutor

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
WE: Corporate Finance (Manufacturing)
GMAT ToolKit User

Show Tags

New post 26 Jul 2016, 04:29
Top Contributor
Here, the that clause is only in the subject position and not the subject itself. The verb mood is passive, as indicated by the "is indicated" and therefore "that a ruined structure..." is a direct object.

There's no hard rule that "that clauses" must be in a certain position in the sentence, but there is a hard rule that the clause should be deployed wherever the meaning of the sentence is least ambiguous. Additionally, "that clauses" is a way to make the sentence more concise than a sentence with a series of modifiers. The alternative to the sentence above is somewhat messy: "A ruined structure found at Aqaba, Jordan, being probably a church is indicated by...." Quite difficult to understand

I hope this helps

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Intern
Intern
B

Show Tags

New post 17 Mar 2017, 01:16
I have a very silly question,but felt to get it clear. In the above sentence "A ruined structure found at Aqaba, Jordan, was probably a church" I thought found was acting as verb and therefore felt that there were 2 verbs 'found' , 'was' for 1 subject ruined structure. Please help me in understanding why found is not verb here
Retired Moderator
G
Schools: HHL Leipzig
GMAT 1: 780 Q50 V47
WE: Corporate Finance (Pharmaceuticals and Biotech)
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 18 Mar 2017, 09:43
KARISHMA315 wrote:
I have a very silly question,but felt to get it clear. In the above sentence "A ruined structure found at Aqaba, Jordan, was probably a church" I thought found was acting as verb and therefore felt that there were 2 verbs 'found' , 'was' for 1 subject ruined structure. Please help me in understanding why found is not verb here

"Found" is not a verb, but a past participle modifier for "structure". Consider the following sentence:
A ruined structure found at Aqaba, Jordan.
This sentence does not make sense since the ruined structure did not find (someone else found the ruined structure) - hence "found" is not a verb.
Intern
Intern

Show Tags

New post 18 Mar 2017, 22:56
Quote:

You can also think of it this way: the phrase "A ruined structure found at Aqaba, Jordan" is actually a condensed version of "A ruined structure that was found at Aqaba, Jordan."

So "found at Aqaba, Jordan" is actually a relative clause that is placed between the subject and the verb.

The sentence can be mapped out as follows:

[subject] A ruined structure [relative clause] found at Aqaba, Jordan, [verb] was...

If the relative clause is removed, the structure of the sentence becomes clear: A ruined structure...was probably a church.
Intern
Intern
B
Concentration: Operations, Leadership

Show Tags

New post 30 May 2017, 02:22
Can a sentence start with "That" ?

I thought option A was better in the lot, even when it had awkward structure for "as indicated in
its eastward orientation "
Director
Director
P
Concentration: Strategy, Marketing
GMAT 1: 690 Q50 V33
GMAT 2: 700 Q50 V33
GMAT 3: 730 Q51 V38
GPA: 4
WE: Consulting (Consulting)
Premium Member Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 30 May 2017, 04:59
sandaki wrote:
Can a sentence start with "That" ?

I thought option A was better in the lot, even when it had awkward structure for "as indicated in
its eastward orientation "

Hi,
I think it can start with " That " . When it is acting as a linking word. Just as , Because, although etc.
Do correct me if i were wrong . :)
Manager
Manager
B

Show Tags

New post 21 Jun 2017, 15:44
A ruined structure found at Aqaba, Jordan, was probably a church as indicated in its eastward orientation and by its overall plan, as well as artifacts, such as glass-oil lamp fragments, found at the site

(A) A ruined structure found at Aqaba, Jordan, was probably a church,as indicated in its eastward orientation and by its overall plan, as well as - "in its" and "by its" are not parallel
(B) A ruined structure found at Aqaba, Jordan, once probably being a church, was indicated by its eastward orientation, overall plan, and - "once probably being a church" need I say more
(C) Indicating that a ruined structure found at Aqaba, Jordan, was probably a church were its eastward orientation and overall plan, but also the - "were" cannot be used for singular "ruined structure"
(D) A ruined structure found at Aqaba, Jordan, was probably a church, as indicates its eastward orientation and overall plan, as well as the - "indicates" is in present, whereas "found" is in past.. we need "indicated" here
(E) That a ruined structure found at Aqaba, Jordan, was probably a church is indicated by its eastward orientation and overall plan, as well as by the - BEST of the lot (still awkward, certainly a post GMAT person - an MBA grad or a phd will not/must not speak in such an unclear, not-simple and awkward manner.. but cést la vie)

NOTE: I am not an expert, therefore my analysis answering the questions may be incorrect and may not be relied upon. However I will appreciate if you can correct the mistakes I may have made in my analysis.

Manager
Manager
G
Concentration: Strategy, International Business
GMAT 1: 620 Q48 V26
GMAT ToolKit User

Show Tags

New post Updated on: 24 Jun 2017, 22:16
daagh wrote:
The prepositional parallelism should be maintained in all the arms of a list.

(A) A ruined structure found at Aqaba, Jordan, was probably a church, as indicated in its eastward orientation and by its overall plan, as well as --- The correct parallelism is 'by its eastward orientation, by its overall plan as well as by artifacts' – wrong

(B) A ruined structure found at Aqaba, Jordan, once probably being a probably a church, was indicated by its eastward orientation, overall plan, and --- meaning totally changed; the structure was not indicated; that the structure was a church was indicated by several factors. Wrong

(C) Indicating that a ruined structure found at Aqaba, Jordan, was probably a church were its eastward orientation and overall plan, but also the--- If we intend to use ‘but also', then we must also have used ‘not only’ prior to it.

(D) A ruined structure found at Aqaba,Jordan,was, was probably a church, ‘as indicates’ its eastward orientation and overall plan, as well as the --- ‘as indicates’; we must either say ‘as indicated by ’ or simply say ‘as it indicates’ – Per se, this is a fragment

(E)That a ruined structure found at Aqaba,Jordan,was probably a church is indicated by its eastward orientation and overall plan, as well as by the --- The best of the constructions

daagh Sir,

Here goes the link of an official gmatprep question,which has used the but also construction without using a "not only".So my question is.if the construction X, but also Y is right according to GMAC,then is option C right??

https://gmatclub.com/forum/not-only-did ... 81150.html

Originally posted by techiesam on 23 Jun 2017, 23:34.
Last edited by techiesam on 24 Jun 2017, 22:16, edited 1 time in total.
Director
Director
G

Show Tags

New post 24 Jun 2017, 10:50
anilkumar1510 wrote:
IMO choice E does not have an independent clause. Not able to understand the construction.

That .... as well as .....

This is a dependent clause. Am i missing something here ?

Hi anilkumar1510, actually this is a case where a clause is acting as the subject of the sentence. The subject (clause) is:

That a ruined structure found at Aqaba, Jordan, was probably a church

The one important thing to note vis-a-vis this structure is that in such cases, the subject is always considered singular (and hence, the main verb of this sentence is singular is).

The structure of this sentence is:

<Subject clause> is indicated by X as well as by Y.

Where:

X: its eastward orientation and overall plan

Y: the artifacts, such as glass-oil lamp fragments, found at the site

Another similar official example:

That some fraternal twins resemble each other greatly while others look quite dissimilar highlights an interesting and often overlooked feature of fraternal-twin pairs, namely that they vary considerably on a spectrum of genetic relatedness.

p.s. Our book EducationAisle Sentence Correction Nirvana discusses Noun Clause, its application and examples. If someone is interested, PM me your email-id; I can mail the corresponding section

Thanks,
Ashish
EducationAisle, Bangalore

Sentence Correction Nirvana available on Amazon.in and Flipkart

Now! Preview the entire Grammar Section of Sentence Correction Nirvana at pothi.com

Retired Moderator
D
Status: worked for Kaplan's associates, but now on my own, free and flying
WE: Education (Education)

Show Tags

New post 24 Jun 2017, 23:29
Top Contributor
Techie
Quoted official example

C. The systematic clearing of forests in the United States, creating farmland (especially in the Northeast) and giving consumers relatively inexpensive houses and furniture, but
The choice C as above is a downright fragment and is wrong. Can you Pl give me a correct choice, where 'but also' is used without 'not only'
On the contrary, take the next choice D. It also doesn't use 'not only'; it is still the OA. However, the structure of 'but also' is changed to 'but it also'.
Coming to the text:
Indicating that a ruined structure found at Aqaba, Jordan, was probably a church were its eastward orientation and overall plan, but also the
If you flip the sentence as per SVO format, the following emerges.
Its eastward orientation and overall plan were indicating that a ruined structure found at Aqaba, Jordan was probably a church, but also the artifacts, such as glass oil lamp fragments, found at the site
The second part here is a fragment without a verb of its own and is not a modifier either since it is connected by fanboys to the other clause.
Perhaps one can now appreciate the validity of the correlative conjunctions appearing in pairs.

you can know a lot about something and not really understand it."-- a quote
No one knows this better than a GMAT student does.
Narendran +9198845 44509

Re: A ruined structure found at Aqaba, Jordan, was probably a church as in &nbs [#permalink] 24 Jun 2017, 23:29

Go to page    1   2    Next  [ 33 posts ] 

A ruined structure found at Aqaba, Jordan, was probably a church as in

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Events & Promotions

PREV
NEXT

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap