Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 16:43 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 16:43

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Kudos
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Math Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 619024 [26]
Given Kudos: 81595
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
RC & DI Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 31933 [11]
Given Kudos: 290
Send PM
General Discussion
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [1]
Given Kudos: 35
Send PM
Math Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 619024 [0]
Given Kudos: 81595
Send PM
Re: A semicircle with area of xπ is marked by seven points equally spaced [#permalink]
Expert Reply
chetan2u wrote:
Bunuel wrote:
A semicircle with area of \(x \pi\) is marked by seven points equally spaced along the half arc of the semicircle, such that two of the seven points form the endpoints of the diameter. What is the probability of forming a triangle with an area less than x from the total number of triangles formed by combining two of the seven points and the center of the diameter?

A. 4/5
B. 6/7
C. 17/21
D. 19/21
E. 31/35

HI,

Bunuel, pl relook into the choices given..

firstly semi circle has a area of \(x \pi\)..
so \(\frac{\pi*r^2}{2}=x\pi.......r=\sqrt{2x}\)
so when we make 7 points in the way it has been described, there are 6 equal segments which will have area of \(\frac{x \pi}{6}\)..LESS than \(x\pi\)
here central angle at centre is 180/6=30..
How many triangles ? 6

Now when we take two such pieces, the centre angle becomes 60 and other two sides are radius so it becomes EQUILATERAL triangle with each side \(\sqrt{2x}\)..
Area = \(\frac{\sqrt{3}}{4}*a^2=\frac{\sqrt{3}}{4}*\sqrt{2x}^2=\frac{\sqrt{3}}{2}*x\), which is less than x.
How many such triangles? when 1 and 3 is choosen OR 2 and 4 OR 3 and 5 OR 4 and 6 OR 5 and 7------- 5 triangles..

Next when you choose three segments that is 30*3=90, it becomes right angled triangle with sides \(\sqrt{2x}\)..
area = \(\frac{1}{2}*\sqrt{2x}^2=x\) which is NOT less than x.
From here on any triangle with three segments or MORE will have AREA equal to or greater than x..

so total triangles with area less than x is 6+5=11
total triangles possible = 7C2=\(\frac{7!}{5!2!}\)=21
but it includes the two points 1 and 7 where these three points form a straight line DIAMETER.. so 21-1=20

probability = \(\frac{11}{20}\)

Checked. The options are copied as they show up in the source.
RC & DI Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 31933 [0]
Given Kudos: 290
Send PM
A semicircle with area of xπ is marked by seven points equally spaced [#permalink]
Expert Reply
Bunuel wrote:
chetan2u wrote:
Bunuel wrote:
A semicircle with area of \(x \pi\) is marked by seven points equally spaced along the half arc of the semicircle, such that two of the seven points form the endpoints of the diameter. What is the probability of forming a triangle with an area less than x from the total number of triangles formed by combining two of the seven points and the center of the diameter?

A. 4/5
B. 6/7
C. 17/21
D. 19/21
E. 31/35

HI,

Bunuel, pl relook into the choices given..

firstly semi circle has a area of \(x \pi\)..
so \(\frac{\pi*r^2}{2}=x\pi.......r=\sqrt{2x}\)
so when we make 7 points in the way it has been described, there are 6 equal segments which will have area of \(\frac{x \pi}{6}\)..LESS than \(x\pi\)
here central angle at centre is 180/6=30..
How many triangles ? 6

Now when we take two such pieces, the centre angle becomes 60 and other two sides are radius so it becomes EQUILATERAL triangle with each side \(\sqrt{2x}\)..
Area = \(\frac{\sqrt{3}}{4}*a^2=\frac{\sqrt{3}}{4}*\sqrt{2x}^2=\frac{\sqrt{3}}{2}*x\), which is less than x.
How many such triangles? when 1 and 3 is choosen OR 2 and 4 OR 3 and 5 OR 4 and 6 OR 5 and 7------- 5 triangles..

Next when you choose three segments that is 30*3=90, it becomes right angled triangle with sides \(\sqrt{2x}\)..
area = \(\frac{1}{2}*\sqrt{2x}^2=x\) which is NOT less than x.
From here on any triangle with three segments or MORE will have AREA equal to or greater than x..

so total triangles with area less than x is 6+5=11
total triangles possible = 7C2=\(\frac{7!}{5!2!}\)=21
but it includes the two points 1 and 7 where these three points form a straight line DIAMETER.. so 21-1=20

probability = \(\frac{11}{20}\)

Checked. The options are copied as they show up in the source.

Agreed Bunuel but it is surely 700 level Q
it skipped my mind that as the angle increases from 90 the area will again start reducing, so all other triangles will also be LESS than x
Non-Human User
Own Kudos [?]: 822 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Re: A semicircle with area of xπ is marked by seven points equally spaced [#permalink]
Hello from the GMAT Club BumpBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
GMAT Club Bot
Moderators:
Math Expert
92915 posts
Senior Moderator - Masters Forum
3137 posts