Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 04:00 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 04:00

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Kudos
Tags:
Difficulty: Sub 505 Levelx   Long Passagex   Sciencex                           
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 84 [0]
Given Kudos: 147
Send PM
Volunteer Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 6858 [0]
Given Kudos: 500
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 0 [0]
Given Kudos: 2
Send PM
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 30 [0]
Given Kudos: 496
Send PM
Re: A small number of the forest species of lepidoptera (moths and butterf [#permalink]
GMATNinja VeritasKarishma

Nuclear polyhedrosis viruses are hypothesized to be the driving force behind population cycles in lepidoptera in part because the viruses themselves follow an infectious cycle in which, if protected from direct sun light, they may remain virulent for many years in the environment, embedded in durable crystals of polyhedrin protein.

I have a few SC doubts.
1)What's the role "embedded in durable crystals of polyhedrin protein". Is it a verb-ed modifier? Can you explain the sentence structure?
2)Unable to understand if then condition - if protected from direct sun light, they remain virulent inside crystal - Is my understanding correct?
What will happen if they are exposed to direct sunlight? They will not remain virulent. I am not able to comprehend this sentence correctly. Please help.

Thanks!
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 8 [0]
Given Kudos: 71
Send PM
Re: A small number of the forest species of lepidoptera (moths and butterf [#permalink]
Hi,
Can someone please explain in question 2 why option C is correct and not A and also what is the difference between both of them? Also, 1 other question The questions which we get in RC what is the difficulty level for them because gmat is adaptive so if someone marked the wrong answer for question 5 so will that person get the Q6 same as the person who has marked the right answer for Q5 . or the level of question in the RC passage is same for everyone irrespective of the accuracy of their previous answer.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 14 [0]
Given Kudos: 139
Send PM
Dear Experts,

I have a question in Q3

RC00120-02 According to the passage, before the discovery of new techniques for detecting viral DNA, population ecologists believed that viral diseases--

(A) were not widely prevalent among insect populations generally
(B) affected only the caterpillar life stage of lepidoptera
(C) were the driving force behind Lepidoptera population cycles
(D) attacked already declining caterpillar populations
(E) infected birds and parasites that prey on various species of lepidoptera

Why (A) is wrong? and

The passage mentions :
Recent work suggests that this agent may be a virus. For many years, viral disease had been reported in declining populations of caterpillars, but population ecologists had usually considered viral disease to have contributed to the decline once it was underway rather than to have initiated it.

I cannot eliminate (A) and (B)

From my understanding :
"population ecologists had usually considered viral disease to have contributed to the decline once it was underway rather than to have initiated it" could be implied that ecologists typically find the virus when it was underway (or in process of decline). I have no idea and feel it make no sense that virus (C) attacked already declining caterpillar populations.

Could any experts help me eliminate (A) and (C), and explain why (C) is correct?

Thank you in advance :)
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 63663 [0]
Given Kudos: 1773
GMAT 1: 780 Q51 V46
GMAT 2: 800 Q51 V51
GRE 1: Q170 V170

GRE 2: Q170 V170
Send PM
Expert Reply

Question 3

Tanchat wrote:
Dear Experts,

I have a question in Q3

RC00120-02 According to the passage, before the discovery of new techniques for detecting viral DNA, population ecologists believed that viral diseases--

(B) affected only the caterpillar life stage of lepidoptera
(E) infected birds and parasites that prey on various species of lepidoptera

Why (A) is wrong? and

The passage mentions :
Recent work suggests that this agent may be a virus. For many years, viral disease had been reported in declining populations of caterpillars, but population ecologists had usually considered viral disease to have contributed to the decline once it was underway rather than to have initiated it.

I cannot eliminate (A) and (B)

From my understanding :
"population ecologists had usually considered viral disease to have contributed to the decline once it was underway rather than to have initiated it" could be implied that ecologists typically find the virus when it was underway (or in process of decline). I have no idea and feel it make no sense that virus (C) attacked already declining caterpillar populations.

Could any experts help me eliminate (A) and (C), and explain why (C) is correct?

Thank you in advance :)

As you point out, the first two sentences in the second paragraph are key for this question:

Quote:
Recent work suggests that this agent may be a virus. For many years, viral disease had been reported in declining populations of caterpillars, but population ecologists had usually considered viral disease to have contributed to the decline once it was underway rather than to have initiated it. The recent work has been made possible by new techniques of molecular biology that allow viral DNA to be detected at low concentrations in the environment.

This tells us that before the discovery of new DNA techniques, ecologists thought the virus contributed to a decline "once it was already underway." Keep in mind that we won't need any outside knowledge for these passages. So even if this fact seems odd, we should assume that ecologists held this belief when tackling the questions.

Let's start with (A):
Quote:
According to the passage, before the discovery of new techniques for detecting viral DNA, population ecologists believed that viral diseases--

Although the passage discusses how the virus might specifically affect caterpillars, it never talks about the "prevalence" of the virus amongst "insect populations generally." So, since the discussion is limited to the virus's effect on caterpillars, we can discard (A).

Quote:
(B) affected only the caterpillar life stage of lepidopteras

The passage suggests that the virus contributed to the decline of caterpillars. However, it never suggests that ecologists ever thought the virus affected lepidopteras only during the caterpillar stage. Since (B) is out of scope, we can eliminate it.

Quote:

This is exactly what ecologists hypothesized after the discovery of new DNA techniques. Before this discovery, we know they thought it wasn't the driving force, but that it merely contributed to a decline that was already happening. For that reason, we can get rid of (C).

Quote:

The passage tells us that before the discovery of the DNA techniques, ecologists thought the virus contributed to the decline caterpillars populations once the decline was "underway," rather than initiating the decline. So (D) is correct.

I hope that helps!
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 254 [0]
Given Kudos: 316
GPA: 3.64
Send PM
A small number of the forest species of lepidoptera (moths and butterf [#permalink]
avigutman can you pls clarify the role of 'if not self regulating' in 'insect populations, if not self-regulating, MAY at least be regulated by an agent MORE intimately connected with the insect THAN are predatory birds or parasites? What does it mean exactly'? What drew the author to say it is not self regulating based on the fact that predators are not the reason? GMATNinja @jonshukruat @ronpuruwel AndrewN MartyTargetTestPrep @gmatwhizz egmat

Also not clear on Q6 wh not A? We can say that predators have been decreasing due to which they have not been able to measure the impact correctly and draw a linkage b/w predators and population cycles due to which the claim about this missing linkage is wrong. And in Q6 how do we identify that
example of habitats' is not considered as self - regulating or intimately connected when we dont really know the definition of these terms?'
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 84 [0]
Given Kudos: 147
Send PM
dear GMATNinjaTwo, VeritasKarishma, MartyTargetTestPrep, AndrewN,VeritasPrepBrian,GMATRockstar
KarishmaB

avigutman, AndrewN,MartyTargetTestPrep ,

I am struggled with this question,
RC00120-01.
Quote:
Which of the following, if true, would most weaken the author???s conclusion in lines 18-22?

(A) New research reveals that the number of species of birds and parasites that prey on lepidoptera has dropped significantly in recent years.
(B) New experiments in which the habitats of lepidoptera are altered in previously untried ways result in the shortening of lepidoptera population cycles.
(C) Recent experiments have revealed that the nuclear polyhedrosis virus is present in a number of predators and parasites of lepidoptera.
(D) Differences among the habitats of lepidoptera species make it difficult to assess the effects of weather on lepidoptera population cycles.
(E) Viral disease is typically observed in a large proportion of the lepidoptera population.

I haven't gotten where my mistakes are.
my reasoning is as following:
the author points out the evidence implies that the evidence implies that these insect populations, if not self-regulating, may at least be regulated by an agent more intimately connected with the insect than are predatory birds or parasites.
what the evidence refers to ? obviously, the evidence is mentioned in the earlier part in P1,
Quote:
The common approach of studying causes of population cycles by measuring the mortality caused by different agents, such as predatory birds or parasites, has been unproductive in the case of lepidoptera. Moreover, population ecologists??? attempts to alter cycles by changing the caterpillars??? habitat and by reducing caterpillar populations have not succeeded.

in other words, predatory birds or parasites are unproductive, which leads to picked up A, A implies the birds or parasites have dropped significantly, so there are insufficient birds or parasites, so if insufficient, even the result is unproductive, it is hard to say birds or parasites are not the driving force. maybe they are the driving force, but they are so few that you cannot get the whether they are driving force or not, so we cannot rule out this potential driving forces, therefore, weaken the conclusion.

and I am also confused by C
if virus are present on birds or parasites, additional the evidence above, you can infer both virus and birds or parasites are not the driving forces.

appreciate your help.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 3 [0]
Given Kudos: 15
Send PM
Dear experts,
Can you please explain the correct answer choice for Question 1?
It says, "develop an explanation for the existence of lepidoptera population cycles." What confuses me here is we already know that the mentioned population cycle exists. We are trying to find out why the cycle occurs. Is it appropriate to say, "develop an explanation for the existence of lepidoptera population cycles?"
Thank you so much.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 67 [0]
Given Kudos: 52
GMAT 1: 680 Q49 V34
Send PM
GMATNinja wrote:
Quote:
6. Which of the following, if true, would most weaken the author’s conclusion in lines 25- 30 (bold lines)?

This question asks us to flex our CR muscles, but let's first take a moment to nail down the structure and purpose of this passage:

• In paragraph 1, the author explains that a small number of lepidoptera species exhibit population cycles, and states that the driving force behind these cycles is difficult to identify. The author concludes that this driving force may be intimately connected to the insect itself, rather than being connected to the insect's predators or parasites.
  • In paragraph 2, the author presents recent work, which suggests that this driving force (a.k.a. the agent regulating population cycles) may be a virus.
  • In paragraph 3, the author notes that the virus hypothesis is attractive because it seems broadly applicable across different lepidoptera species.

OK, now let's revisit the conclusion being highlighted:

Quote:
In short, the evidence implies that these insect populations, if not self-regulating, may at least be regulated by an agent more intimately connected with the insect than are predatory birds or parasites.

The author concludes that whatever is regulating the population cycle is closer to the insect than it is to predatory birds or parasites. Here's how the author reaches this conclusion:

• Studying predatory birds and parasites, thought to be potential agents, has been unproductive in the case of lepidoptera.
  • Recent study of viral disease, thanks to new techniques of molecular biology, has identified nuclear polyhedrosis viruses as a more likely agent.
  • Polyhedrosis viruses follow an infectious cycle that is intimately linked to lepidoptera, in which lepidoptera ingest the virus in the form of crystals, incubate new virus particles within their bodies, and release these crystals back into the environment upon dying.

If we're looking to weaken this conclusion, we need an answer choice that either:

• contradicts what we've read about this link between polyhedrosis viruses and lepidoptera, or
  • delivers evidence that some other regulating agent is even more likely to be the driving force of these population cycles.

Now let's use process of elimination to go through all five choices.

Quote:
(A) New research reveals that the number of species of birds and parasites that prey on lepidoptera has dropped significantly in recent years.

This choice actually strengthens the conclusion, because it adds evidence that other potential agents (predatory birds and parasites) have significantly decreased in number in recent years. This reinforces what the author stated plainly in paragraph 1. Eliminate (A).

Quote:
(B) New experiments in which the habitats of lepidoptera are altered in previously untried ways result in the shortening of lepidoptera population cycles.

This choice introduces new evidence that the regulating agent we're all looking for might be intimately linked to the habitats of lepidoptera, after all. Most importantly, this choice tells us that whatever these experiments did to habitats, that action definitely resulted in the shortening of lepidoptera population cycles. We'll keep choice (B) because it provides proof that another agent--habitat--can regulate population cycles.

bpdulog wrote:
I was down to B and C but went with C since the later part of the line dismisses the relationship with predators and the driving force of the life cycle

Quote:
(C) Recent experiments have revealed that the nuclear polyhedrosis virus is present in a number of predators and parasites of lepidoptera.

Knowing that the nuclear polyhedrosis virus is present in a number of predators and parasites doesn't change anything we've read about the nuclear polyhedrosis virus and its link to lepidoptera. The author's conclusion does not depend on this virus existing only in lepidoptera. And the language of this answer choice doesn't include any dismissal of the intimate link between polyhedrosis viruses and lepidoptera. It simply points out that the virus is also present in predators and parasites of lepidoptera.

(C) doesn't contradict the impact of nuclear polyhedrosis viruses or provide an alternative agent, so we'll eliminate (C).

gauravmarwaha wrote:
I could easily eliminate options E, C and A and chose option D over B. Can someone help?

Quote:
(D) Differences among the habitats of lepidoptera species make it difficult to assess the effects of weather on lepidoptera population cycles.

Choice (D) does identify a potential alternative agent: weather. However, the logical statement made here is quite weak. (D) tells us that it's difficult to assess the effects of weather on lepidoptera population cycles. So even if it's possible for weather to affect these population cycles, we have no way of confirming whether that effect is actually taking place.

Likewise, I could say, "It's difficult to assess the effects of the lunar cycle on lepidoptera," but this wouldn't make me jump up and say that lunar cycles are likely to be more of a driving force of lepidoptera population cycles than nuclear polyhedrosis viruses. We're not interested in hypothetical effects that are difficult to assess. We're interested in proof that an alternative agent is truly at work. That's why we eliminate (D).

Quote:
(E) Viral disease is typically observed in a large proportion of the lepidoptera population.

This choice doesn't affect the conclusion. Much like Choice (C), it tells us a little more about the presence of viral disease in lepidoptera populations, but it doesn't mention polyhedrosis viruses and doesn't provide evidence of any alternative agent regulating population cycles. Eliminate (E).

Whew! This may have taken me an entire population cycle to write. (Yes, more bad Dad jokes. I'm practicing them. There's no "negative kudos" button, so you're stuck with them.) After all of that, (B) is the only choice that presents evidence of a regulating agent that is NOT intimately linked to the insect (instead, the agent is linked to the insect's habitat). So we keep (B) and move on.

I hope this helps!

Hey GMATNinja , Author is concluding that there is some other agent that is affecting insect's population more than birds and parasite. So a possible weakener would be to show that birds and parasites are indeed on same or greater level than this other agent. Please let me know if I am right? If I am, then wouldn't option B weaken the idea behind this weakener thereby strengthening it?
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Given Kudos: 23
Send PM
GMATNinja wrote:
Quote:
6. Which of the following, if true, would most weaken the author’s conclusion in lines 25- 30 (bold lines)?

This question asks us to flex our CR muscles, but let's first take a moment to nail down the structure and purpose of this passage:

• In paragraph 1, the author explains that a small number of lepidoptera species exhibit population cycles, and states that the driving force behind these cycles is difficult to identify. The author concludes that this driving force may be intimately connected to the insect itself, rather than being connected to the insect's predators or parasites.
  • In paragraph 2, the author presents recent work, which suggests that this driving force (a.k.a. the agent regulating population cycles) may be a virus.
  • In paragraph 3, the author notes that the virus hypothesis is attractive because it seems broadly applicable across different lepidoptera species.

Quote:
In short, the evidence implies that these insect populations, if not self-regulating, may at least be regulated by an agent more intimately connected with the insect than are predatory birds or parasites.

The author concludes that whatever is regulating the population cycle is closer to the insect than it is to predatory birds or parasites. Here's how the author reaches this conclusion:

• Studying predatory birds and parasites, thought to be potential agents, has been unproductive in the case of lepidoptera.
  • Recent study of viral disease, thanks to new techniques of molecular biology, has identified nuclear polyhedrosis viruses as a more likely agent.
  • Polyhedrosis viruses follow an infectious cycle that is intimately linked to lepidoptera, in which lepidoptera ingest the virus in the form of crystals, incubate new virus particles within their bodies, and release these crystals back into the environment upon dying.

If we're looking to weaken this conclusion, we need an answer choice that either:

• contradicts what we've read about this link between polyhedrosis viruses and lepidoptera, or
  • delivers evidence that some other regulating agent is even more likely to be the driving force of these population cycles.

Quote:

This choice actually strengthens the conclusion, because it adds evidence that other potential agents (predatory birds and parasites) have significantly decreased in number in recent years. This reinforces what the author stated plainly in paragraph 1. Eliminate (A).

Quote:

This choice introduces new evidence that the regulating agent we're all looking for might be intimately linked to the habitats of lepidoptera, after all. Most importantly, this choice tells us that whatever these experiments did to habitats, that action definitely resulted in the shortening of lepidoptera population cycles. We'll keep choice (B) because it provides proof that another agent--habitat--can regulate population cycles.

bpdulog wrote:
I was down to B and C but went with C since the later part of the line dismisses the relationship with predators and the driving force of the life cycle

Quote:

Knowing that the nuclear polyhedrosis virus is present in a number of predators and parasites doesn't change anything we've read about the nuclear polyhedrosis virus and its link to lepidoptera. The author's conclusion does not depend on this virus existing only in lepidoptera. And the language of this answer choice doesn't include any dismissal of the intimate link between polyhedrosis viruses and lepidoptera. It simply points out that the virus is also present in predators and parasites of lepidoptera.

(C) doesn't contradict the impact of nuclear polyhedrosis viruses or provide an alternative agent, so we'll eliminate (C).

gauravmarwaha wrote:
I could easily eliminate options E, C and A and chose option D over B. Can someone help?

Quote:

Choice (D) does identify a potential alternative agent: weather. However, the logical statement made here is quite weak. (D) tells us that it's difficult to assess the effects of weather on lepidoptera population cycles. So even if it's possible for weather to affect these population cycles, we have no way of confirming whether that effect is actually taking place.

Likewise, I could say, "It's difficult to assess the effects of the lunar cycle on lepidoptera," but this wouldn't make me jump up and say that lunar cycles are likely to be more of a driving force of lepidoptera population cycles than nuclear polyhedrosis viruses. We're not interested in hypothetical effects that are difficult to assess. We're interested in proof that an alternative agent is truly at work. That's why we eliminate (D).

Quote:

This choice doesn't affect the conclusion. Much like Choice (C), it tells us a little more about the presence of viral disease in lepidoptera populations, but it doesn't mention polyhedrosis viruses and doesn't provide evidence of any alternative agent regulating population cycles. Eliminate (E).

Whew! This may have taken me an entire population cycle to write. (Yes, more bad Dad jokes. I'm practicing them. There's no "negative kudos" button, so you're stuck with them.) After all of that, (B) is the only choice that presents evidence of a regulating agent that is NOT intimately linked to the insect (instead, the agent is linked to the insect's habitat). So we keep (B) and move on.

I hope this helps!

Thanks so much GMATNinja for providing these explanations, but I'm confused that why choice B does not strengthen the conclusion instead. The conclusion states that "In short, the evidence implies that these insect populations, if not self-regulating, may at least be regulated by an agent more intimately connected with the insect than are predatory birds or parasites." It does not say that the agent is the virus. Couldn't the experiment in choice B be that agent?

Thanks so much again.
Intern
Intern
Given Kudos: 23
Send PM
rickyric395 wrote:
GMATNinja wrote:
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

bpdulog wrote:

Quote:

gauravmarwaha wrote:

Quote:

Quote:

I hope this helps!

Hey GMATNinja , Author is concluding that there is some other agent that is affecting insect's population more than birds and parasite. So a possible weakener would be to show that birds and parasites are indeed on same or greater level than this other agent. Please let me know if I am right? If I am, then wouldn't option B weaken the idea behind this weakener thereby strengthening it?

rickyric395 I read the same way!
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 63663 [0]
Given Kudos: 1773
GMAT 1: 780 Q51 V46
GMAT 2: 800 Q51 V51
GRE 1: Q170 V170

GRE 2: Q170 V170
Send PM
Expert Reply
rickyric395 wrote:
GMATNinja wrote:
Quote:

[] In paragraph 1, the author explains that a small number of lepidoptera species exhibit population cycles, and states that the driving force behind these cycles is difficult to identify. The author concludes that this driving force may be intimately connected to the insect itself, rather than being connected to the insect's predators or parasites.
    [] In paragraph 2, the author presents recent work, which suggests that this driving force (a.k.a. the agent regulating population cycles) may be a virus.

Quote:

[] Studying predatory birds and parasites, thought to be potential agents, has been unproductive in the case of lepidoptera.
    [] Recent study of viral disease, thanks to new techniques of molecular biology, has identified nuclear polyhedrosis viruses as a more likely agent.

[]contradicts what we've read about this link between polyhedrosis viruses and lepidoptera, or
    []delivers evidence that some other regulating agent is even more likely to be the driving force of these population cycles.

Quote:
New research reveals that the number of species of birds and parasites that prey on lepidoptera has dropped significantly in recent years.

Quote:
New experiments in which the habitats of lepidoptera are altered in previously untried ways result in the shortening of lepidoptera population cycles.

bpdulog wrote:

Quote:
Recent experiments have revealed that the nuclear polyhedrosis virus is present in a number of predators and parasites of lepidoptera.

gauravmarwaha wrote:

Quote:
Differences among the habitats of lepidoptera species make it difficult to assess the effects of weather on lepidoptera population cycles.

Quote:
Viral disease is typically observed in a large proportion of the lepidoptera population.

I hope this helps!

Hey [url=https://gmatclub.com:443/forum/memberlist.php?mode=viewprofile&un=GMATNinja%5D%5Bb%5DGMATNinja%5B/b%5D%5B/url%5D , Author is concluding that there is some other agent that is affecting insect's population more than birds and parasite. So a possible weakener would be to show that birds and parasites are indeed on same or greater level than this other agent. Please let me know if I am right? If I am, then wouldn't option B weaken the idea behind this weakener thereby strengthening it?

Be careful about altering the author's language! The author isn't just saying there's "some other agent." She's saying that the population may be regulated "by an agent more intimately connected with the insect than are predatory birds or parasites." What might be "more intimately connected"? Maybe something inside the insect's cells. Like a virus!

So you're right that (B) is introducing the possibility of there being another agent, but because this agent is introduced by altering the habitat, it doesn't sound as though this other agent is more intimately connected to the insect. In other words, it's more likely that it's the altered habit that's influencing the life cycle. Not the “intimately connected” virus.

So that "intimately connected" phrase is doing some pretty heavy lifting here. Without it, you’d be right. But it’s here, and it’s important.

I hope that clears things up!
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 8 [0]
Given Kudos: 89
Send PM
Question 5, i chose D: while inside its polyhedrin protein crystals, the nuclear polyhedrosis virus cannot be ingested by caterpillars.

It should be true that when the virus is inside the crystal, it cannot be ingested because the virus is still there even after the crystal is ingested from statement “Once ingested by a caterpillar, the crystals dissolve, releasing the virus to infect the insect’s cells”
And this statement also shows that a caterpillar ingests only the ‘crystal’ not the ‘virus’

Could anyone please explain option D why my understanding is wrong. Thank you!

Posted from my mobile device
Intern
Intern
Given Kudos: 49
Send PM
GMATNinja wrote:
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

bpdulog wrote:

Quote:

gauravmarwaha wrote:

Quote:

Quote:

I hope this helps!

Hello GMATNinja

Really amazing explanation with so much detail. Thank you for such amazing answers which help us understand

My doubt here pertains to choice C. The author gives the highlighted conclusion at the end of the first paragraph that there might be some other agent more closely related to the insect than the predatory birds or parasites. Till this point author has not considered the possibility of the Nuclear polyhedrosis viruses so IMO while looking for points to weaken this conclusion, we need not to consider anything in particular about this virus because the same information has not been presented yet and author doesn't use this information to arrive at this conclusion, That is the reason I rejected Option C.

If there were any other option which said that the Nuclear polyhedrosis viruses don't have that much affect on the population cycle of lepidoptera, I would have rejected the same on this ground since author's conclusion is primarily concerned with some agent which is intimately connected with the insect and author till this point doesn't say that agent has to be Nuclear polyhedrosis viruses in particular. Even if an option choice said that Nuclear polyhedrosis viruses don't affect the population cycle that much there could very well be a possibility of some other agent affecting their population cycle which is intimately connected with the insect and thus such a choice won't weaken the conclusion.

So a possible weakener here should be either a statement telling us that something else not so intimately connected with the insect affects their population cycle or a statement which shows us that its impossible for any agent intimately connected with the insect to affect their population cycle.

I don't think that we should consider the information given in the subsequent passage after the conclusion has been made to weaken the conclusion.

Please tell me if my understanding is correct or not. Will wait for your reply.
Thank you
GMAT Club Bot
   1   2   3 
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6920 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts
GRE Forum Moderator
13958 posts