Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 13:06 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 13:06

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Kudos
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Math Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 618803 [33]
Given Kudos: 81588
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 6296 [11]
Given Kudos: 704
Send PM
General Discussion
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 6296 [3]
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 207 [3]
Given Kudos: 135
Send PM
A small table has a length of 12 inches and a breadth of b inches. Cub [#permalink]
Kudos
A small table has a length of 12 inches and a breadth of b inches. Cubes are placed on the surface of the table so as to cover the entire surface. The maximum side of such cubes is found to be 4 inches. Also, a few such tables are arranged to form a square. The minimum length of side possible for such a square is 48 inches. Find b.

A. 8
B. 16
C. 24
D. 32
E. 48

nick1816, Archit3110

Posted from my mobile device
Attachments

IMG_20191106_093716__01.jpg
IMG_20191106_093716__01.jpg [ 1.58 MiB | Viewed 5251 times ]

VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 542 [2]
Given Kudos: 1656
Send PM
Re: A small table has a length of 12 inches and a breadth of b inches. Cub [#permalink]
Kudos
To understand what the question is asking and the underlying concepts at play, you could start with a couple of simple numbers and see what the conditions ultimately mean for the unknown side B.

Suppose we had a Rectangle with a Length of 6 and a Width of 4.

"cubes are placed on the surface of the table so as to COVER THE ENTIRE surface"

A cube, with each side equal, must be placed side-by-side on the rectangle such that the entire surface area of the rectangle is covered.

then we are told the MAXIMUM SIDE that such a cube could have.

in our made up example (L = 6 and W = 4) what length could we make the cubes such that they would cover the entire surface area?

1: we could have 1-by-1 and have 6 across the length and 4 across the width --- total of 24

2: we could have 2-by-2 and have 3 across the length and 2 across the width --- total of 6

3. could we use 3-by-3 cubes?
we would be able to put TWO 3-by-3 cubes across the length. However, when we put one row of two cubes down across the length, there would only be 1 inch remaining across the width. we could NOT cover the entire surface area with just 3-by-3 cubes.

1 and 2 are COMMON FACTOR of the Length and Width. The MAXIMUM side of such cubes would be 2 inches, where 2 inches is the GREATEST Common Factor of the Length (6) and the Width (4)

Therefore, the statement "the maximum side of such cubes is found to be 4 inches" is essentially telling us the following:

the GREATEST COMMON FACTOR of (12 and b) = 4 (i)

(Part 2 of the question stem)

we then take the 12 - by - B rectangles and lay them down side by side, creating a square. The MINIMUM Length possible of a Square that could be created is 48 inches.

For the Square to be 48 - by - 48 we would have to lay FOUR tables (12 inches) along the Length Side in the 1st Row.

how many we would have to place in each of the columns would depend on the value of B. The B inch width of each table MUST be evenly divisible into 48 inches.

and since 48 inches is the MINIMUM Length possible of such a Square, the statement is essentially telling us the following:

LOWEST COMMON MULTIPLE of (12 ; b) = 48 (ii)

at this point we can use the following Property:

for any two positive integers (X and Y) the following equation will always hold:

LCM (X ; Y) * GCF (X ; Y) = X * Y

at this point we just need to insert (i) and (ii) for the LCM and GCF and the side lengths of the rectangle.

LCM(12 ; b) * GCF (12 ; b) = 12 * b
48 * 4 = 12 * b

b = 16

Answer *B*
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 6296 [1]
Send PM
Re: A small table has a length of 12 inches and a breadth of b inches. Cub [#permalink]
Kudos
dc2880

Product of a and b= LCM(a,b) * HCF(a,b) ........{ true for any 2 positive integers}

12*b = LCM(12,b) * HCF(12*b)

12*b/[HCF(12*b)] = LCM(12,b)
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 4096 [0]
Given Kudos: 242
Concentration: Sustainability, Marketing
GMAT Focus 1:
545 Q79 V79 DI73
GPA: 4
WE:Marketing (Energy and Utilities)
Send PM
for the given length of 12 inches the side b inches is found to be 4inches
so now to form a square ie 12x12 ; we need total 3 such tables
and so as to make table with min length 48 inches we need 48/3 ; 16 such tables
IMO B

Bunuel wrote:
A small table has a length of 12 inches and a breadth of b inches. Cubes are placed on the surface of the table so as to cover the entire surface. The maximum side of such cubes is found to be 4 inches. Also, a few such tables are arranged to form a square. The minimum length of side possible for such a square is 48 inches. Find b.

A. 8
B. 16
C. 24
D. 32
E. 48

Are You Up For the Challenge: 700 Level Questions
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 0 [0]
Given Kudos: 6
Send PM
What does it mean "The maximum side of such cubes is found to be 4 inches"? I guessed it means that every cube has a side of 4 inches. Is it right?
While "The minimum length of side possible for such a square is 48 inches" means that the square obtained with the few tables has a side lenght of 48?

Thanks, I am not english and am afraid I might not have understood the text right, because I find 24 as the answer.
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 6296 [0]
Send PM
A small table has a length of 12 inches and a breadth of b inches. Cub [#permalink]
You've correctly understood it.

If b=24, then use can use cubes of length 12 cm to cover the table; hence, your solution contradicts the statement given.

axelr wrote:
What does it mean "The maximum side of such cubes is found to be 4 inches"? I guessed it means that every cube has a side of 4 inches. Is it right?
While "The minimum length of side possible for such a square is 48 inches" means that the square obtained with the few tables has a side lenght of 48?

Thanks, I am not english and am afraid I might not have understood the text right, because I find 24 as the answer.
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Focus 1:
545 Q79 V79 DI73
Send PM
axelr
See attached image

axelr wrote:

Attachments

File comment: Pic
IMG_20191105_230233862_HDR.jpg
IMG_20191105_230233862_HDR.jpg [ 1.23 MiB | Viewed 5402 times ]

GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Focus 1:
545 Q79 V79 DI73
Send PM
nick1816 ; okay i got your point what I did was that I actually formed square shaped table considering 3 equal '4inches' sides i.e 12 each .. and so as to get min length side of 48 ; 16 such table arrangements would be required...

nick1816 wrote:
This is wrong...though you get right answer

Table is not a square first of all.

Cubes are placed on the surface of the table so as to cover the entire surface. The maximum side of such cubes is found to be 4 inches.

This statement implies that b is a multiple of 4. b=4k, where k is not multiple of 3.

a few such tables are arranged to form a square. The minimum length of side possible for such a square is 48 inches

This statement implies that LCM of 12 and b is 48.

12*b/4=48
12*4k/HCF(12,4k)=48

k=4
b=16

Archit3110 wrote:
axelr
See attached image

axelr wrote:

Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 10 [0]
Given Kudos: 41
Send PM
nick1816 wrote:
This is wrong...though you get right answer

Table is not a square first of all.

Cubes are placed on the surface of the table so as to cover the entire surface. The maximum side of such cubes is found to be 4 inches.

This statement implies that b is a multiple of 4. b=4k, where k is not multiple of 3.

a few such tables are arranged to form a square. The minimum length of side possible for such a square is 48 inches

This statement implies that LCM of 12 and b is 48.

12*b/4=48
12*4k/HCF(12,4k)=48

k=4
b=16

Archit3110 wrote:
axelr
See attached image

axelr wrote:

Hi, can you please explain where you obtained the equation: 12*4k/HCF(12,4k)=48 ? Thank you!
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 21 [0]
Given Kudos: 187
GMAT 1: 610 Q47 V27
Send PM
This question is one of the BEST question to test application of HCF and LCM. nick1816 method is the best one to solve this question in my opinion.

Another take -

Assuming 'n' number of cubes. The square formed would have the side as 4n. Therefore, Area = 16n^2.

Area is also = 12 x b x n

=> 12bn = 16n^2
=> 12b = 16n
=> b = 4n/3

Also, for min. sq. side = 48, n = 12.

=> b = 4 x 12/3 = 16.
GMAT Club Bot
Moderators:
Math Expert
92902 posts
Senior Moderator - Masters Forum
3137 posts