GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 14 Oct 2019, 11:10

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

A software programmer does 20% of the work in 80% of the

  new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Author Message
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Find Similar Topics 
Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 18 Sep 2010
Posts: 2
A software programmer does 20% of the work in 80% of the  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post Updated on: 05 Nov 2012, 22:27
3
17
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

  55% (hard)

Question Stats:

70% (03:02) correct 30% (02:58) wrong based on 494 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

A software programmer does 20% of the work in 80% of the time, and 80% of the work in the remaining 20% of the time. If the code he writes is X lines long and he was given one month (30 days) to accomplish the task, then, assuming that the programmer works at a constant rate in each of the two stages, How many lines of code were written in the last two weeks, in terms of X?

A. 13x /15
B. 15x/15
C. 7x/15
D. 2x/30
E. 13x/30

Originally posted by vivatran on 06 Mar 2011, 05:42.
Last edited by vivatran on 05 Nov 2012, 22:27, edited 3 times in total.
Most Helpful Expert Reply
Veritas Prep GMAT Instructor
User avatar
V
Joined: 16 Oct 2010
Posts: 9699
Location: Pune, India
Re: Work Problems  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 15 Sep 2011, 22:27
6
shuwa wrote:
A software programmer does 20% of the work in 80% of the time, and 80% of the work in the remaining 20% of the time. If the code he writes is X lines long and he was given one month (30 days) to accomplish the task, then, assuming that the programmer works at a constant rate in each of the two stages, How many lines of code were written in the last two weeks, in terms of X?

A) 13x /15

B) 15x/15

C) 7x/15

D) 2x/30

E) 13x/30


Another thing you might want to note here is that he does 80% of the work in the last 20% of time i.e. in last 6 days. So the work he does in last 14 days is more than 4X/5 but less than X. Only option (A) lies in this range.
_________________
Karishma
Veritas Prep GMAT Instructor

Learn more about how Veritas Prep can help you achieve a great GMAT score by checking out their GMAT Prep Options >
Most Helpful Community Reply
Retired Moderator
avatar
Joined: 20 Dec 2010
Posts: 1585
Re: Work Problems  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 06 Mar 2011, 05:54
10
30 days- X lines

80% of 30
24 days; 0.2X lines

Remaining 6 days:
0.8X lines

Need to find out for last 14 days;
We know the number of lines for last 6 days: 0.8X

How about 8 days before that;
24 days- 0.2X
1 day - 0.2X/24 lines
8 days - (0.2X/24)*8 lines = (1/15)X lines

Total number of lines in last 14 days

(1/15)x + 0.8X = (1/15)x + (8/10)X = (52/60)X = (13/15)X lines of codes
_________________
General Discussion
Math Expert
User avatar
V
Joined: 02 Sep 2009
Posts: 58320
Re: Work Problems  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 06 Mar 2011, 06:35
5
1
shuwa wrote:
A software programmer does 20% of the work in 80% of the time, and 80% of the work in the remaining 20% of the time. If the code he writes is X lines long and he was given one month (30 days) to accomplish the task, then, assuming that the programmer works at a constant rate in each of the two stages, How many lines of code were written in the last two weeks, in terms of X?

Please explain. thanks


It's better to plug the numbers for this question let x=30 lines;

20% of the work in 80% of the time --> 0.2*30 lines=6 lines in the first 0.8*30 days=24 days and the remaining 24 lines in last 6 days;

Last 14 days = last 6 days (stage 2) + previous 8 days (part of stage 1): 24 lines in last 6 days + 1/3*6=2 lines in previous 8 days (as 8 is 1/3 of 24 days in stage 1) = 26 lines in the last 14 days, which is 26/30=13/15 part of the whole job.

P.S. Please provide answer choices for PS problems.
_________________
Director
Director
avatar
Joined: 01 Feb 2011
Posts: 551
Re: Work Problems  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 18 Sep 2011, 10:16
work - time

1 t
20/100 80t/100
80/100 20t/100


task

30 days - x lines

20x/100 will be finished in (80/100)*30 days ( i.e 24 days)

80x/100 in (20/100)*30 days (i.e 6 days)

work done in last two weeks = last 6 days work + last 8 days work

= 80x/100 + (20x/100)(8/24)
= 13x/15

(one flaw i see in the question is that it does not say the programmer works initial 20% of work in 80% time. so if you take it as initial 80% of work in 20% time, answer would be different)
Veritas Prep GMAT Instructor
User avatar
V
Joined: 16 Oct 2010
Posts: 9699
Location: Pune, India
Re: Work Problems  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 18 Sep 2011, 21:06
Spidy001 wrote:

(one flaw i see in the question is that it does not say the programmer works initial 20% of work in 80% time. so if you take it as initial 80% of work in 20% time, answer would be different)


I did notice the same thing and therefore, read the question stem carefully. Notice that it says 'does 20% of the work in 80% of the time, and 80% of the work in the remaining 20% of the time.'
Important is the use of the word 'remaining' which implies that he does 20% of the work in the first 80% of time and 80% in the leftover 20% time. Therefore, the intent of the question is quite clear.
_________________
Karishma
Veritas Prep GMAT Instructor

Learn more about how Veritas Prep can help you achieve a great GMAT score by checking out their GMAT Prep Options >
Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 01 Nov 2010
Posts: 7
Location: United States
GMAT Date: 03-30-2012
WE: Pharmaceuticals (Health Care)
GMAT ToolKit User
Re: Work Problems  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 21 Sep 2011, 20:10
Hi,
I'm trying to plug in for Question # 138 in OG 12. Could anyone point out where i'm going wrong in my reasoning?
No. of Boxes loaded by Night workers = 3/4 of Day workers
No. of Night workers = 4/5 of Day workers.

Let the number of Day workers = 100 and they load a total of 100 boxes.
No. of boxes loaded by Night workers = 3/4 x 100 = 75
No. of Night workers = 4/5 x 100 = 80

total no. of boxes loaded by both workers = 175
total no. of boxes loaded by day workers = 100

fraction of boxes loaded by day workers out of the total = 100/175 = 4/7
The closest answer is 4/5 which is D.

But the correct answer is 5/8 which is E.
Veritas Prep GMAT Instructor
User avatar
V
Joined: 16 Oct 2010
Posts: 9699
Location: Pune, India
Re: Work Problems  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 22 Sep 2011, 20:51
gmatyro wrote:
Hi,
I'm trying to plug in for Question # 138 in OG 12. Could anyone point out where i'm going wrong in my reasoning?
No. of Boxes loaded by Night workers = 3/4 of Day workers
No. of Night workers = 4/5 of Day workers.

Let the number of Day workers = 100 and they load a total of 100 boxes.
No. of boxes loaded by Night workers = 3/4 x 100 = 75
No. of Night workers = 4/5 x 100 = 80

total no. of boxes loaded by both workers = 175
total no. of boxes loaded by day workers = 100

fraction of boxes loaded by day workers out of the total = 100/175 = 4/7
The closest answer is 4/5 which is D.

But the correct answer is 5/8 which is E.


You need to make a new thread for a new question, put down the question and your method.
_________________
Karishma
Veritas Prep GMAT Instructor

Learn more about how Veritas Prep can help you achieve a great GMAT score by checking out their GMAT Prep Options >
Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 01 Nov 2010
Posts: 7
Location: United States
GMAT Date: 03-30-2012
WE: Pharmaceuticals (Health Care)
GMAT ToolKit User
Re: Work Problems  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 23 Sep 2011, 13:19
VeritasPrepKarishma wrote:
gmatyro wrote:
Hi,
I'm trying to plug in for Question # 138 in OG 12. Could anyone point out where i'm going wrong in my reasoning?
No. of Boxes loaded by Night workers = 3/4 of Day workers
No. of Night workers = 4/5 of Day workers.

Let the number of Day workers = 100 and they load a total of 100 boxes.
No. of boxes loaded by Night workers = 3/4 x 100 = 75
No. of Night workers = 4/5 x 100 = 80

total no. of boxes loaded by both workers = 175
total no. of boxes loaded by day workers = 100

fraction of boxes loaded by day workers out of the total = 100/175 = 4/7
The closest answer is 4/5 which is D.

But the correct answer is 5/8 which is E.


You need to make a new thread for a new question, put down the question and your method.


Hi,
There was a thread already and have posted the question on that thread. [url]help-me-with-the-answer-rates-ratio-question-102404.html[/url]
I went thru the answers posted which i understand but i can't see why my reasoning is wrong. Appreciate your response
Veritas Prep GMAT Instructor
User avatar
V
Joined: 16 Oct 2010
Posts: 9699
Location: Pune, India
Re: Work Problems  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 24 Sep 2011, 09:48
gmatyro wrote:

Hi,
There was a thread already and have posted the question on that thread. [url]help-me-with-the-answer-rates-ratio-question-102404.html[/url]
I went thru the answers posted which i understand but i can't see why my reasoning is wrong. Appreciate your response


Have posted the issue in your solution in that thread itself. If you want me to look at a particular question or your solution, just put it down in the corresponding thread and send me a pm. I will look into it.
_________________
Karishma
Veritas Prep GMAT Instructor

Learn more about how Veritas Prep can help you achieve a great GMAT score by checking out their GMAT Prep Options >
Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 24 Sep 2011
Posts: 6
Re: Work Problems  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 24 Sep 2011, 16:41
Hi,

Is there a way to solve the problem by solving for the portion of X done in the first 14 days and subtract the result from X? I keep getting the wrong answer with the following:

X/5 = R*4T/5
R = X/(4T)
14 days later.. or T/2
X/(4T)*T/2 = X/8
So for the remainder period...
X-X/8 = 7X/8

would appreciate any help that would pinpoint where this fails.
Veritas Prep GMAT Instructor
User avatar
V
Joined: 16 Oct 2010
Posts: 9699
Location: Pune, India
Re: Work Problems  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 29 Sep 2011, 03:23
syh244 wrote:
Hi,

Is there a way to solve the problem by solving for the portion of X done in the first 14 days and subtract the result from X? I keep getting the wrong answer with the following:

X/5 = R*4T/5
R = X/(4T)
14 days later.. or T/2
X/(4T)*T/2 = X/8
So for the remainder period...
X-X/8 = 7X/8

would appreciate any help that would pinpoint where this fails.


Sure you can do it that way too.

The error is that the month consists of 30 days (given) so you need to find the work done in 16 days (so that 2 weeks i.e. 14 days are leftover) and subtract that from X.

(X/4T) * 16T/30 = 2X/15

X - 2X/15 = 13X/15
_________________
Karishma
Veritas Prep GMAT Instructor

Learn more about how Veritas Prep can help you achieve a great GMAT score by checking out their GMAT Prep Options >
Manager
Manager
User avatar
B
Joined: 16 Jan 2011
Posts: 89
Re: A software programmer does 20% of the work in 80% of the  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 13 Apr 2012, 04:21
taking into account the assumptions about 20% of work during the 80% of time and vice versa we get

(1)
30 days*80%=24days
X work *20%=x/5
(2)
30*20%=6 days
X*80%=4x/5

we need to find out the amount of work, done during the last 14 days
according to the (2) we already have the amount of work, done in last 6 days - 4x/5

rest will be calculated based on the data from (1)
knowing that during each stage work was done at constant rate, we can set a proportion
(x/5)/24*8=x/15

and now we just sum up two pieces of work
x/15+(4x)/5=13x/15
Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 22 Dec 2011
Posts: 211
Re: Work Problem - Need help on this.  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 01 Dec 2012, 04:55
4
2
manukumar wrote:
A software programmer does 20% of the work in 80% of the time, and 80% of the work in the remaining 20% of the time. If the code he writes is X lines long and he was given one month (30 days) to accomplish the task, then, assuming that the programmer works at a constant rate in each of the two stages, How many lines of code were written in the last two weeks, in terms of X?

1) 13x/15
2) 7x/15
3) 7x/60
4) 2x/3
5) x/2


Pick nos. Take x = 60
1st stage -> 20% of the work in 80% of the time
So 20% of 60 = 12
and 80% of 30 (nos of days) = 24
So he writes 12 lines of code in 1st 24 days

2nd stage -> 80% of the work in the remaining 20% of the time
so he writes 48 lines of code in last 6 days.

The 2 boldface are your rates.
In the last 14 days comprises of both the stages.
in the 1st 8 days he writes at the rate of\(\frac{12}{24} \frac{lines}{days}\) so he writes 4 lines ( \(8 * \frac{12}{24}\))
in the last 6 days he writes at the rate of\(\frac{48}{6}\) lines / days so he writes 48 lines (\(6 *\frac{48}{6}\))

totally he writes 52 lines. This is the final value / target value.
Substitute X = 60 and check which one results in 52.

Only option A gives 52 when x = 60.

Cheers
Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 21 Sep 2012
Posts: 208
Location: United States
Concentration: Finance, Economics
Schools: CBS '17
GPA: 4
WE: General Management (Consumer Products)
Re: A software programmer does 20% of the work in 80% of the  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 22 Aug 2014, 07:08
3
1
Total work - x lines
Total time - 30 days

20% work done in 80% time... given
20% of work= x/5
80% of time=30*0.8=24 days
Therefore rate for first 24 days=(x/5)/24=x/120

We have been asked to compute work completed in last 2 weeks, i.e. last 14 days
Work done in last 14 days=Total work-work done in first 16 days
= x-[(x/120)*16]
= x-(2x/15)
= 13x/15
Ans= A
Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 30 May 2013
Posts: 2
WE: Consulting (Consulting)
GMAT ToolKit User
A software programmer does 20% of the work in 80% of the  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 25 Aug 2014, 11:56
1
This question can be answered without any computation.
As the 80% of work is done in the last 6 days( 20% of 30 days). Then the work done in the last 14 days must be more than 80% i.e. 4/5 (For the possible answer the numerator must be greater than half of the denimenator) and there are two possible options A (13x/15 ) and D (2x/3 ) Clearly D is just 66.67% and the obvious choice is answer choice A.

Or, if we want to kill some time and do the tedious job of computing, we can do the same as follows :
For first part, the time spent is is 80% of 30 days = 30*0.8 =24 days ( Here the programmer does 20% of the work (x) i.e. 1x/5)

For the second part, the time spent is 20% of 30 days= 30*0.2= 6 days ( Here the programmer does 80% of work (x) i.e. 4x/5)

Now lets see, what part of work the programmer does in last 14 days.

Last 14 days= 8 days + 6 days (last 6 days)
= [(1x/5)*(1/24)]*8 + 4x/5
=1x/15 +4x/5
=13x/15
Current Student
User avatar
B
Joined: 25 Feb 2014
Posts: 211
GMAT 1: 720 Q50 V38
Reviews Badge
Re: A software programmer does 20% of the work in 80% of the  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 03 Sep 2015, 12:51
1
Here is the pictorial representation of the situation:


Work = X Time = 30 days Last 15 days work
1) 20% = 1/5X 80% = 24 days 8 days of work = 24 days of work/3 = 1/3*1/5x = 1/15*x
2) 80% = 4/5X 20% = 6 days 6 days of work = 4/5*x

Last 15 days will be 8 days from the 1) and 6 days from 2) = (4/5+1/15)*x = 13/15*x
_________________
Consider KUDOS if my post helped :)

I got the eye of the tiger, a fighter, dancing through the fire
'Cause I am a champion and you're gonna hear me roar
CEO
CEO
User avatar
D
Status: GMATINSIGHT Tutor
Joined: 08 Jul 2010
Posts: 2974
Location: India
GMAT: INSIGHT
Schools: Darden '21
WE: Education (Education)
Reviews Badge
Re: A software programmer does 20% of the work in 80% of the time, and 80%  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 25 Oct 2016, 00:27
Bunuel wrote:
A software programmer does 20% of the work in 80% of the time, and 80% of the work in the remaining 20% of the time. If the code he writes is X lines long and he was given one month (30 days) to accomplish the task, then, assuming that the programmer works at a constant rate in each of the two stages, what fraction of the work did he complete in the last two weeks, in terms of X?

A. 13x/15
B. 7x/15
C. 7x/60
D. 2x/3
E. x/2


Total Work = X lines

20% Total Work = (20/100)X = X/5 lines
80% Total Work = (80/100)X = 4X/5 lines


20% Total Time = (20/100)30 = 6 Days
80% Total Time = (80/100)30 = 24 Days

Last two weeks = 2*7 = 14 days

Amount of work done done in last 6 of these 14 days = 80% Total Work = 4X/5 Lines
Amount of work done done in First 8 of these 14 days = (8/24)*(X/5 lines) = X/15 Lines

Total Work done in last 14 days = (4X/5) +(X/15) Lines = 13X/15 Lines

Answer: option A
_________________
Prosper!!!
GMATinsight
Bhoopendra Singh and Dr.Sushma Jha
e-mail: info@GMATinsight.com I Call us : +91-9999687183 / 9891333772
Online One-on-One Skype based classes and Classroom Coaching in South and West Delhi
http://www.GMATinsight.com/testimonials.html

ACCESS FREE GMAT TESTS HERE:22 ONLINE FREE (FULL LENGTH) GMAT CAT (PRACTICE TESTS) LINK COLLECTION
Board of Directors
User avatar
P
Joined: 17 Jul 2014
Posts: 2515
Location: United States (IL)
Concentration: Finance, Economics
GMAT 1: 650 Q49 V30
GPA: 3.92
WE: General Management (Transportation)
GMAT ToolKit User Reviews Badge
A software programmer does 20% of the work in 80% of the  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 16 Nov 2016, 09:36
vivatran wrote:
A software programmer does 20% of the work in 80% of the time, and 80% of the work in the remaining 20% of the time. If the code he writes is X lines long and he was given one month (30 days) to accomplish the task, then, assuming that the programmer works at a constant rate in each of the two stages, How many lines of code were written in the last two weeks, in terms of X?

A. 13x /15
B. 15x/15
C. 7x/15
D. 2x/30
E. 13x/30


I had the same approach as VeritasPrepKarishma had.

we can easily eliminate B, C, D, and E right away.

in the last 6 days, he did 80% of the job. therefore, in last 2 weeks, he finished more than 80% of the work.
B = X, or 100% - CLEARLY not
C = slightly more than 50%. 9x/15 = 3x/5 = 60%. but this is way more than 7x/15
D = way too small
E = way too small


now..to verify
we know that in first 24 days, he did x/5 work. each day, he did x/120 work. in 8 days, he did 8x/120 work, or 4x/60 or x/15.
in last 6 days, he did 4x/5 work.
total work done in last 2 weeks:
4x/5 + x/15
multiply first one by 3:
12x/15 + x/15 = 13x/15

answer is A.

I believe it should be a sub-600 level question, if the answer choices are not changed so that to not eliminate incorrect ones so easy.
Non-Human User
User avatar
Joined: 09 Sep 2013
Posts: 13145
Re: Question  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 30 Sep 2019, 03:27
Hello from the GMAT Club BumpBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
_________________
GMAT Club Bot
Re: Question   [#permalink] 30 Sep 2019, 03:27
Display posts from previous: Sort by

A software programmer does 20% of the work in 80% of the

  new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  





Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group | Emoji artwork provided by EmojiOne