Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 08:31 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 08:31

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Kudos
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1870 [88]
Given Kudos: 30
Concentration: Technology, Strategy
GMAT 1: 730 Q49 V41
GPA: 3
WE:Information Technology (Telecommunications)
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
Math Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 618756 [53]
Given Kudos: 81587
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 84 [6]
Given Kudos: 3
Concentration: Finance, Technology
GPA: 3.5
WE:Programming (Telecommunications)
Send PM
General Discussion
Verbal Forum Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 3092 [2]
Given Kudos: 141
Send PM
Re: A sporting goods store received a shipment of baseball glove [#permalink]
Kudos
thelosthippie wrote:
A sporting goods store received a shipment of baseball gloves that included 5 brown gloves for every 6 black gloves. Did the store receive at least 250 gloves in the shipment?

(1) 44% of the left-handed gloves in the shipment were black.

(2) The shipment included 84 black, right-handed gloves.

Bunuel,I feel this question is a bit out of place for GMAT, ONLY because it requires one to know that baseball glvoes don't come in pairs.Your take?
Math Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 618756 [1]
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
vinaymimani wrote:
thelosthippie wrote:
A sporting goods store received a shipment of baseball gloves that included 5 brown gloves for every 6 black gloves. Did the store receive at least 250 gloves in the shipment?

Bunuel,I feel this question is a bit out of place for GMAT, ONLY because it requires one to know that baseball glvoes don't come in pairs.Your take?

Yes, in baseball players wear only one glove, but not sure that this is a common knowledge, thus real GMAT question would probably make note about that.
Math Expert
Send PM
Bookmarks
Expert Reply
JusTLucK04 wrote:
Total Gloves have to be a multiple of 10k + 12k..including right + left for both the colors

Now A says it is a multiple of 25..so the least possible number where 22 and 25 meet (LCM) is above 250..A is suff

B is also suff---> 168 Black gloves + 168*5/6 = some number greater than or less than 250...suff

D should be the answer :shock:

From stem: the total # of gloves is a multiple of 11, not necessarily of 22.

From (1): the # of left-handed gloves is a multiple of 25, not the total # of gloves.

From (2): the shipment included 84 black, right-handed gloves. How does it follow from this that there are 168 black gloves?

Complete solution is here: a-sporting-goods-store-received-a-shipment-of-baseball-glove-152090.html#p1220135

Hope it helps.
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Affiliations: EMPOWERgmat
Own Kudos [?]: 11665 [1]
Given Kudos: 450
GMAT 1: 800 Q51 V49
GRE 1: Q170 V170
Send PM
Bookmarks
Expert Reply
Hi All,

This DS question revolves around a ratio. In these situations, it's important to remember that ratio questions often come down to "multiples."

We're given a starting ratio of Brown gloves to Black gloves = 5/6. We're told that Left-handed and Right-handed gloves are ordered individually (which means that there's NO ratio governing the number of Left or Right). We're asked if the total number of gloves is at least 250? This is a YES/NO question.

From the prompt, we KNOW that the number of Brown gloves MUST be a multiple of 5 and the number of Black gloves MUST be a multiple of 6…

Fact 1: 44% of left-handed gloves are Black.

44/100 = 11/25 left-handed gloves are Black, so the minimum number of this type = 11

This means….

56/100 = 14/25 left-handed gloves are Brown, so the minimum number of this type = 14

We don't know the number (or color) of Right-handed gloves, which is a significant missing piece of information, so we could have ANY NUMBER of Right-handed Black and Right-handed Brown gloves (as long as those number properly complete the given ratio). For example:

Brown Left = 14
Black Left = 11
Brown Right = 1
Black Right = 7
Total = 33 and the answer to the question is NO

Brown Left = 14
Black Left = 11
Brown Right = 101
Black Right = 127
Total = 253 and the answer to the question is YES

Fact 1 is INSUFFICENT

Fact 2: 84 Black Right-handed Gloves

Using the original ratio, this info tells us that there are a MINIMUM of 70 Brown gloves, so the MINIMUM TOTAL = 154 (answer is NO), but the total could be higher (e.g. in the 1000s, so the answer is YES.
Fact 2 is INSUFFICIENT

Combined, we know:
Black Right-handed = 84
Brown Rightt-handed = ???
Black Left-handed = multiple of 11
Brown Left-handed = multiple of 14
Total Brown = multiple of 5
Total Black = multiple of 6

Here's where things get a bit more complex:

Since the Total Black must be a multiple of 6….84 + (multiple of 11) = (multiple of 6)

The MINIMUM multiple of 11 that "fits" this factoid would be 66, so we'd have 84 + 66 = 150 Black gloves AT THE MINIMUM

With those 150 Black gloves, we'd have to match the ratio in the prompt, so the Total number of Brown gloves would be 125 AT THE MINIMUM.

So, we end up with a MINIMUM of 275 gloves; the answer to the question is ALWAYS YES.

Final Answer:

GMAT assassins aren't born, they're made,
Rich
Math Expert
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
gupta87 wrote:
Can any one explain this

A sporting goods store received a shipment of baseball gloves that included 5 brown gloves for every 6 black gloves. If left-handed and right-handed gloves are sold and ordered individually, did the store receive at least 250 gloves in the shipment?

thnx

Merging topics. Please refer to the discussion above.

Also, please read carefully and follow: rules-for-posting-please-read-this-before-posting-133935.html Thank you.
Math Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 618756 [0]
Send PM
Expert Reply
subhendu009 wrote:
1) Not sufficient.As we don't know anything on right handed gloves.
2) Not sufficient.

Combining both :

Let the total no of gloves be 200x. 100x for left hand and 100x for right hand.

For right hand: black gloves = 84
brown gloves = 100x - 84.

For left hand : black gloves = 44x
brown gloves = 100x - 44x = 56x

So total no of black gloves = 84 + 44x
total no of brown gloves = 100x - 84 + 56x = 156x - 84.

Then, (84 + 44x)/(156x - 84) = 6/5
=> x = 924/716
=> 200x = 258

Ans : Option C.

----------------------------------------
Please press \(+1 Kudos\)if my post helps you.

That's not correct.

First of all, we cannot get the exact number of the gloves in the shipment. Next, the # of gloves MUST be a multiple of 11, so the # of gloves cannot be 258.

Check here: a-sporting-goods-store-received-a-shipment-of-baseball-glove-152090.html#p1220135 The least # of gloves is 275.
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 1219 [0]
Given Kudos: 139
Concentration: Strategy, General Management
GMAT 1: 730 Q51 V38
WE:Analyst (Consulting)
Send PM
Total Gloves have to be a multiple of 10k + 12k..including right + left for both the colors

Now A says it is a multiple of 25..so the least possible number where 22 and 25 meet (LCM) is above 250..A is suff

B is also suff---> 168 Black gloves + 168*5/6 = some number greater than or less than 250...suff

Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 1219 [0]
Given Kudos: 139
Concentration: Strategy, General Management
GMAT 1: 730 Q51 V38
WE:Analyst (Consulting)
Send PM
Bunuel wrote:
JusTLucK04 wrote:

From stem: the total # of gloves is a multiple of 11, not necessarily of 22.

From (1): the # of left-handed gloves is a multiple of 25, not the total # of gloves.

From (2): the shipment included 84 black, right-handed gloves. How does it follow from this that there are 168 black gloves?

Complete solution is here: a-sporting-goods-store-received-a-shipment-of-baseball-glove-152090.html#p1220135

Hope it helps.

I just went through the complete thread...I didn't have any clue about baseball stuff..
So there cant be 5 brown and 6 black gloves..as they have to be in pairs(My assumption)..Hence I deduced the 10 -12 logic
Same assumption for 2nd statement and you should get a D..
Not a GMAT type question..No body outside US follows baseball(I believe)
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 40 [0]
Given Kudos: 67
Send PM
Hi Bunuel,

please correct me ....

A is not sufficient since we don't know the exact number of the total left hand gloves.

for B if we know there are 84 right hand gloves, then there will be equivalent number of left hand side gloves.
hence the total will be 168. Also, its given the ration of Brown to black 5:6 ... hence 140 another gloves .... this makes the total more than 250 .. sufficient .

For me answer should be B ... Can you please help me to understand this.
Math Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 618756 [0]
Send PM
Expert Reply
GmatDestroyer2013 wrote:
Hi Bunuel,

please correct me ....

A is not sufficient since we don't know the exact number of the total left hand gloves.

for B if we know there are 84 right hand gloves, then there will be equivalent number of left hand side gloves.
hence the total will be 168. Also, its given the ration of Brown to black 5:6 ... hence 140 another gloves .... this makes the total more than 250 .. sufficient .

For me answer should be B ... Can you please help me to understand this.

Please read whole thread before posting a question. Chances are that your question has already been answered. Check here: a-sporting-goods-store-received-a-shipment-of-baseball-glove-152090.html#p1220260

Hope it helps.
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 29903 [0]
Given Kudos: 799
Send PM
A sporting goods store received a shipment of baseball glove [#permalink]
Expert Reply
Bunuel wrote:

Given: Black:Brown=6x:5x, so the # of black gloves is a multiple of 6 and # of brown gloves is a multiple of 5.

(1) 44% of the left-handed gloves in the shipment were black --> 44%=11/25 of left-handed gloves are black, thus the # of left-handed gloves is a multiple of 25. Not sufficient.

(2) The shipment included 84 black, right-handed gloves. Also not sufficient.

(1)+(2) We have the following matrix:

Notice that we have that \(84+\frac{11Y}{25}=6X\).

Now, since both 84 and 6x are multiples of 6, then \(\frac{11Y}{25}\) must also be a multiple of 6, which means that Y must be both multiple of 25 and 6, or a multiple of 150 (LCM of 25 and 6). Thus the least value of Y is 150. In this case \(84+\frac{11*150}{25}=150=6x\) --> \(X_{min}=25\) --> \(Total=6X+5X=11x=275>250\). Sufficient.

Answer: C.

Hope it's clear.

I thought I'd point out that Bunuel approach is sometimes known as the Double Matrix Method. This technique can be used for most questions featuring a population in which each member has two characteristics associated with it.
Here, we have a population of baseball gloves, and the two characteristics are:
-left-handed or right-handed
- black or brown

This question type is VERY COMMON on the GMAT, so be sure to master the technique.
To learn more about the Double Matrix Method, watch our free video: https://www.gmatprepnow.com/module/gmat- ... ems?id=919

Cheers,
Brent
RSM Erasmus Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 1360 [0]
Given Kudos: 641
Concentration: Operations, Strategy
Schools: Erasmus (II)
Send PM
A sporting goods store received a shipment of baseball glove [#permalink]
EMPOWERgmatRichC wrote:
Hi All,

This DS question revolves around a ratio. In these situations, it's important to remember that ratio questions often come down to "multiples."

We're given a starting ratio of Brown gloves to Black gloves = 5/6. We're told that Left-handed and Right-handed gloves are ordered individually (which means that there's NO ratio governing the number of Left or Right). We're asked if the total number of gloves is at least 250? This is a YES/NO question.

From the prompt, we KNOW that the number of Brown gloves MUST be a multiple of 5 and the number of Black gloves MUST be a multiple of 6…

Fact 1: 44% of left-handed gloves are Black.

44/100 = 11/25 left-handed gloves are Black, so the minimum number of this type = 11

This means….

56/100 = 14/25 left-handed gloves are Brown, so the minimum number of this type = 14

We don't know the number (or color) of Right-handed gloves, which is a significant missing piece of information, so we could have ANY NUMBER of Right-handed Black and Right-handed Brown gloves (as long as those number properly complete the given ratio). For example:

Brown Left = 14
Black Left = 11
Brown Right = 1
Black Right = 7
Total = 33 and the answer to the question is NO

Brown Left = 14
Black Left = 11
Brown Right = 101
Black Right = 127
Total = 253 and the answer to the question is YES

Fact 1 is INSUFFICENT

Fact 2: 84 Black Right-handed Gloves

Using the original ratio, this info tells us that there are a MINIMUM of 70 Brown gloves, so the MINIMUM TOTAL = 154 (answer is NO), but the total could be higher (e.g. in the 1000s, so the answer is YES.
Fact 2 is INSUFFICIENT

Combined, we know:
Black Right-handed = 84
Brown Rightt-handed = ???
Black Left-handed = multiple of 11
Brown Left-handed = multiple of 14
Total Brown = multiple of 5
Total Black = multiple of 6

Here's where things get a bit more complex:

Since the Total Black must be a multiple of 6….84 + (multiple of 11) = (multiple of 6)

The MINIMUM multiple of 11 that "fits" this factoid would be 66, so we'd have 84 + 66 = 150 Black gloves AT THE MINIMUM

With those 150 Black gloves, we'd have to match the ratio in the prompt, so the Total number of Brown gloves would be 125 AT THE MINIMUM.

So, we end up with a MINIMUM of 275 gloves; the answer to the question is ALWAYS YES.

Final Answer:

GMAT assassins aren't born, they're made,
Rich

Hi Rich,

Although Fact 2 is insufficient, how could you use the original ratio in the prompt (5:6)? you have only the number of Right handed gloves 84, while the ration is about Total Brown to Total black. So the balk left handed gloves are missing.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 92 [0]
Given Kudos: 15
Send PM
DS PROBLEM [#permalink]
Can any one explain this

A sporting goods store received a shipment of baseball gloves that included 5 brown gloves for every 6 black gloves. If left-handed and right-handed gloves are sold and ordered individually, did the store receive at least 250 gloves in the shipment?

thnx
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 65 [0]
Given Kudos: 24
GMAT 1: 640 Q49 V30
GMAT 2: 710 Q50 V35
GPA: 3.61
Send PM
Bunuel wrote:
vinaymimani wrote:
thelosthippie wrote:

Yes, in baseball players wear only one glove, but not sure that this is a common knowledge, thus real GMAT question would probably make note about that.

i calculated assuming gloves to come in a pair :-(
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [0]
Given Kudos: 7
Send PM
gloves don't come in the same colour per pair???
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 101 [0]
Given Kudos: 227
Send PM
A note on this one.

The original question on Veritas Prep that I encountered right now reads:

"A sporting goods store received a shipment of baseball gloves that included 5 brown gloves for every 6 black gloves. If left-handed and right-handed gloves are sold and ordered individually, did the store receive at least 250 gloves in the shipment?"

My first issue: They are sold and ordered individually, but the ratio of 5:6 is supposed to be for all the gloves in the shipment and not per type o glove? I was looking for a 5:6 ratio WITHIN right-handed gloves and a 5:6 ratio within left-handed gloves. This definitely complicated things a lot for me. But when I read it again, I see now that the received order as a whole consists of the ratio 5:6.
Non-Human User
Own Kudos [?]: 821 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Hello from the GMAT Club BumpBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
GMAT Club Bot
Moderator:
Math Expert
92902 posts