GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 17 Jul 2018, 10:40

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

A square wooden plaque has a square brass inlay in the

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

2 KUDOS received
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Concentration: Marketing, Finance
GPA: 3.23
GMAT ToolKit User
Re: A square wooden plaque has a square brass inlay in the [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 01 Dec 2012, 21:18
This tells us that there is a particular ratio for the width of the wooden frame to the width of the brass inlay.

This means there is a f(x) = \((\frac{A}{B})(x)\). Any x is possible and will yield a corresponding f(x).

Impossible is nothing to God.

Expert Post
Math Expert
V
Re: hard problem OG Quant 2nd edition [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 31 May 2013, 09:23
cumulonimbus wrote:
Bunuel wrote:
hrish88 wrote:
so doest it mean any width <= 39/4 is possible.

this is the 2nd last problem in OG.so i thought it would be difficult. :-D

No I mean ANY width is possible.

Let the the side of small square be \(x\) and the big square \(y\).

Given: \(\frac{x^2}{y^2-x^2}=\frac{25}{39}\) --> \(\frac{x^2}{y^2}=\frac{25}{64}\) --> \(\frac{x}{y}=\frac{5}{8}\).

We are asked which value of \(\frac{y-x}{2}\) is possible. \(\frac{y-\frac{5}{8}y}{2}=\frac{3}{16}y=?\).

Well, expression \(\frac{3}{16}y\) can take ANY value depending on \(y\): 1, 3, 4, 444, 67556, 0,9, ... ANY. Basically we are given the ratios of the sides (5/8), half of their difference can be any value we choose, there won't be any "impossible" values at all.

Hope it's clear.

Again,
This squestion is ambiguous.
Why cant anyone not interpret it as:
b^2/w^2 = 25/39
where b- is the side length for brass inlay,
and W - length of wooden box

Not ambiguous at all (notice that the question is from OG).

The question says that "a square wooden plaque has a square brass inlay in the center, leaving a wooden strip of uniform width around the brass square. If the ratio of the brass area to the wooden area is 25 to 39 ...", so it should be b^2/(w^2-b^2)=25/39.

Consider the diagram below:
Only grey area is wooden, the remaining (white area) is brass.

Hope it's clear.

New to the Math Forum?
Please read this: Ultimate GMAT Quantitative Megathread | All You Need for Quant | PLEASE READ AND FOLLOW: 12 Rules for Posting!!!

Resources:
GMAT Math Book | Triangles | Polygons | Coordinate Geometry | Factorials | Circles | Number Theory | Remainders; 8. Overlapping Sets | PDF of Math Book; 10. Remainders | GMAT Prep Software Analysis | SEVEN SAMURAI OF 2012 (BEST DISCUSSIONS) | Tricky questions from previous years.

Collection of Questions:
PS: 1. Tough and Tricky questions; 2. Hard questions; 3. Hard questions part 2; 4. Standard deviation; 5. Tough Problem Solving Questions With Solutions; 6. Probability and Combinations Questions With Solutions; 7 Tough and tricky exponents and roots questions; 8 12 Easy Pieces (or not?); 9 Bakers' Dozen; 10 Algebra set. ,11 Mixed Questions, 12 Fresh Meat

DS: 1. DS tough questions; 2. DS tough questions part 2; 3. DS tough questions part 3; 4. DS Standard deviation; 5. Inequalities; 6. 700+ GMAT Data Sufficiency Questions With Explanations; 7 Tough and tricky exponents and roots questions; 8 The Discreet Charm of the DS; 9 Devil's Dozen!!!; 10 Number Properties set., 11 New DS set.

What are GMAT Club Tests?
Extra-hard Quant Tests with Brilliant Analytics

1 KUDOS received
Verbal Forum Moderator
Premium Member

Show Tags

New post 01 Jun 2013, 01:31
hrish88 wrote:
A square wooden plaque has a square brass inlay in the center, leaving a wooden strip of uniform width around the brass square. If the ratio of the brass area to the wooden area is 25 to 39, which of the following could be the width, in inches, of the wooden strip.

I. 1
II. 3
III. 4

A. I only
B. II only
C. III only
D. I and III only
E. I, II and III

The only restriction on the value of b(side of the brass square) is that b<w. From the given problem, we know that\(\frac{b^2}{(w^2-b^2)}\)= 25/39--> 39/25 = \((\frac{w}{b})^2-1\)-->
\(\frac{w}{b}\)= \(\sqrt{64/25}\)--> b = \(\frac{5}{8}*w\). Thus, any value of w, would still give a value where b<w.
E.

All that is equal and not-Deep Dive In-equality

Hit and Trial for Integral Solutions

Director
Director
GMAT 1: 710 Q50 V36
GMAT 2: 750 Q51 V41
GMAT 3: 790 Q51 V49
GPA: 3.3

Show Tags

New post 02 Oct 2013, 14:48
Bunuel wrote:
hrish88 wrote:

Given: \(\frac{x^2}{y^2-x^2}=\frac{25}{39}\) --> \(\frac{x^2}{y^2}=\frac{25}{64}\) --> \(\frac{x}{y}=\frac{5}{8}\).

We are asked which value of \(\frac{y-x}{2}\) is possible. \(\frac{y-\frac{5}{8}y}{2}=\frac{3}{16}y=?\).

Well, expression \(\frac{3}{16}y\) can take ANY value depending on \(y\): 1, 3, 4, 444, 67556, 0,9, ... ANY. Basically we are given the ratios of the sides (5/8), half of their difference can be any value we choose, there won't be any "impossible" values at all.

Hope it's clear.

the ratio is 5/8, Lets say the number be 5n and 8n

So what we need is difference divided by 2 i.e.

8n-5n/2 = 3n/2 = 1.5n

Now you said it can take any value, so my question is n is an integer or n is an infinite set of Natural number?

Like my post Send me a Kudos :) It is a Good manner.
My Debrief: http://gmatclub.com/forum/how-to-score-750-and-750-i-moved-from-710-to-189016.html

Expert Post
Math Expert
V

Show Tags

New post 03 Oct 2013, 01:24
honchos wrote:
Bunuel wrote:
hrish88 wrote:

Hope it's clear.

the ratio is 5/8, Lets say the number be 5n and 8n

So what we need is difference divided by 2 i.e.

8n-5n/2 = 3n/2 = 1.5n

Now you said it can take any value, so my question is n is an integer or n is an infinite set of Natural number?

We are not told that the sides are integers, thus n may or may not be an integer.

New to the Math Forum?
Please read this: Ultimate GMAT Quantitative Megathread | All You Need for Quant | PLEASE READ AND FOLLOW: 12 Rules for Posting!!!

Resources:
GMAT Math Book | Triangles | Polygons | Coordinate Geometry | Factorials | Circles | Number Theory | Remainders; 8. Overlapping Sets | PDF of Math Book; 10. Remainders | GMAT Prep Software Analysis | SEVEN SAMURAI OF 2012 (BEST DISCUSSIONS) | Tricky questions from previous years.

Collection of Questions:
PS: 1. Tough and Tricky questions; 2. Hard questions; 3. Hard questions part 2; 4. Standard deviation; 5. Tough Problem Solving Questions With Solutions; 6. Probability and Combinations Questions With Solutions; 7 Tough and tricky exponents and roots questions; 8 12 Easy Pieces (or not?); 9 Bakers' Dozen; 10 Algebra set. ,11 Mixed Questions, 12 Fresh Meat

DS: 1. DS tough questions; 2. DS tough questions part 2; 3. DS tough questions part 3; 4. DS Standard deviation; 5. Inequalities; 6. 700+ GMAT Data Sufficiency Questions With Explanations; 7 Tough and tricky exponents and roots questions; 8 The Discreet Charm of the DS; 9 Devil's Dozen!!!; 10 Number Properties set., 11 New DS set.

Director
Director
GMAT 1: 710 Q50 V36
GMAT 2: 750 Q51 V41
GMAT 3: 790 Q51 V49
GPA: 3.3

Show Tags

New post 03 Oct 2013, 01:47
N is absolutely infinite that means, infinite solutions. Make sense. Thanks for the discussion.

Like my post Send me a Kudos :) It is a Good manner.
My Debrief: http://gmatclub.com/forum/how-to-score-750-and-750-i-moved-from-710-to-189016.html

Current Student
B
GPA: 3.02
Re: A square wooden plaque has a square brass inlay in the cente [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 19 Mar 2014, 21:06
Bunuel wrote:
The Official Guide For GMAT® Quantitative Review, 2ND Edition

A square wooden plaque has a square brass inlay in the center, leaving a wooden strip of uniform width around the brass square. If the ratio of the brass area to the wooden area is 25 to 39, which of the following could be the width, in inches, of the wooden strip?

I. 1
II. 3
III. 4

(A) I only
(B) II only
(C) I and II only
(D) I and III only
(E) I, II , and III

Since the question indicates only ratio of areas, therefore any length is possible. Hence E is the answer.
Manager
Manager
B
WE: Project Management (Non-Profit and Government)
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 23 Jan 2015, 20:32
Bunuel wrote:
hrish88 wrote:

Hope it's clear.

I think we can use slightly different approach.

There is a square inside a square with a uniform border of thickness. We know that the larger side lets say S = s +2t, where t is the thickness of the border.

We are given that s^2 / (s+2t)^2 -s^2 = 25/39

Then on solving we get
s^2 / (s^2 + 4t^2+ 4ts - s^2) = 25/39

therefore: s^2/ ( 4t +4ts) = 25/39
on solving we get
25 x 4 x t ( 1+s) = 39s^2.

therefore : 39 s^2 - 100t - 100ts = 0

this is a quadratic of the form ax^2 + bx + c= 0 & we have a = positive, b= -100t & c=-100t

SO here he discriminant Sqrt ( b^2 - 4ac) will always be positive as the sign of c is neg. & we will have two value of the solution. Hence any value of t will satisfy the equation as long as it is positive length thickness.
Intern
Intern
GMAT Date: 11-29-2014

Show Tags

New post 24 Jan 2015, 00:21
I made a mistake- I thought "brass has to be a multiple of 5 and wood has to be a multiple of 1.5 ( since 5x is the brass portion and 3x is the wooden portion in the 8x whole, that i calculated from 25+39=64's root, AND 3x is splitted into 2 as width is what is asked and not the wooden portion)"
I saw Bunuel's first answer and totally agreed with it (I was amazed by it!!!). But could someone tell me what I assumed wrong.
Thanks
Intern
Intern
GMAT 1: 620 Q43 V32
GPA: 2.9
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 30 May 2015, 01:40
Bunuel wrote:
hrish88 wrote:
A square wooden plaque has a square brass inlay in the center ,leaving a wooden strip of uniform width around the brass square.if the ratio of the brass area to the wooden area is 25 to 39,which of the following could be the width ,in inches ,of the wooden strip.

I. 1
II. 3
III. 4

A.I only
B.II only
C.III only
D.I and III only
e.I,II and III

Why would ANY width of the strip be impossible?

Answer: E.

Alternate approach

Let the uniform width be = x

=> (5+2x)²/25 = 39/25

4x²+25+10x =39
(4x+14) (x-1) = 0
x= 1 or
x =-14/4 (length cannot be negative)

=> Since we were dealing with ratios this means x can be a any positive multiple (as length cannot be negative) of 1

So Ans E
Intern
Intern
Schools: CBS '18 (D)
GMAT ToolKit User

Show Tags

New post 05 Jul 2015, 05:35
I read the question and interpreted "wooden area" as the whole plaque. Bad move...but you do get some funky equations out of it...

Ah, the benefit of hindsight...
Intern
Intern
B
GMAT 1: 620 Q47 V29

Show Tags

New post 29 May 2016, 03:46
Hello Bunuel

I was not able to understand the part where you mentioned Area of the brass inlay (small square with side x) /area of the wooden area( large square with side y) =25/64 (39+25). Why did we add these two ?

Ratio of the same has been clearly mentioned in the question as :- If the ratio of the brass area (small square) to the the wooden area(larger square) is 25 to 39 , then how come we added the two numbers (25+39) to depict the area of the larger square ?

Please explain , I know it is a silly question , but i am not able to get the facts straight .

Thanks
Expert Post
Math Expert
V

Show Tags

New post 30 May 2016, 12:42
Ujjwalkathpalia wrote:
Hello Bunuel

I was not able to understand the part where you mentioned Area of the brass inlay (small square with side x) /area of the wooden area( large square with side y) =25/64 (39+25). Why did we add these two ?

Ratio of the same has been clearly mentioned in the question as :- If the ratio of the brass area (small square) to the the wooden area(larger square) is 25 to 39 , then how come we added the two numbers (25+39) to depict the area of the larger square ?

Please explain , I know it is a silly question , but i am not able to get the facts straight .

Thanks

Please click Quote under the post you are referring in order for me to know which post you are talking abut. Thank you.

New to the Math Forum?

Resources:

Collection of Questions:

Current Student
B
GMAT 1: 660 Q48 V32
GPA: 3.56
WE: Programming (Computer Software)
Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 11 Aug 2016, 20:54
Also, am I wrong in considering 25/39 as the ratio of the brass area to the whole square and not just the border? A plaque with brass inlay is simply a layer of brass above the wooden part. Should they not have mentioned clearly that 25/39 is the ratio of the brass area to the wooden border or something like exposed wooden area or something?

If this were the case, we would have a constraint that the inlay area should not be more than the area of the plaque itself. I started out with this equation and the whole arithmetic turned out very clumsy since none were nice numbers.

May be all three numbers are still possible and the answer remains unchanged, but I am just trying to understand how is this not considered an ambiguity in the question.
Manager
Manager
B

Show Tags

New post 27 Oct 2016, 10:01
Bunuel wrote:
mymbadreamz wrote:
Why is it not y-x? Why do we calculate (y-x)/2?

Consider the diagram below:
Attachment:
Wooden strip.png
As you can see the width of the wooden strip (the width of grey strip) is \(\frac{y-x}{2}\).

OMG !!! It took me ages to understand of what you said.... Is not too obvious at all.

For those that they are on the same boat with me it boils down to y-x / 2 BECAUSE...

Say d is the length of the of the wooden strip.... where Bunuel has the DOUBLE arrows. Then you know that Y = x + d (the left) + d (the right) so you end up having:

y = x + 2d hence d = (y - x) / 2
Intern
Intern
B
Concentration: Technology, Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 660 Q45 V35
GMAT 2: 640 Q49 V28
GMAT 3: 640 Q49 V28
GMAT 4: 640 Q49 V28
GMAT 5: 640 Q49 V28
GPA: 2.84
WE: General Management (Consumer Products)
GMAT ToolKit User
A square wooden plaque has a square brass inlay in the [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 16 Dec 2016, 12:08
Hi, I did it another way, but in my solution none of the given value satisfies.

Take wooden (bigger area) =\(a^2\)
let x be the width.
so brass area = \((a-2x)^2\)
so,

\((25/39)=( (a-2x)^2 )/ (a^2)\)

1. x=1
\((a-2) = 5\)
so, a=7
and \(a^2 = 49\)

giving ratio : \(25/49\) which is not as given one.

trying all these, give different ratios.

what did i do wrong?
Expert Post
1 KUDOS received
Manhattan Prep Instructor
S
GMAT 1: 790 Q51 V49
GRE 1: Q170 V170

Show Tags

New post 16 Dec 2016, 12:20
hanyhamdani wrote:
Hi, I did it another way, but in my solution none of the given value satisfies.

Take wooden (bigger area) =\(a^2\)
let x be the width.
so brass area = \((a-2x)^2\)
so,

\((25/39)=( (a-2x)^2 )/ (a^2)\)

1. x=1
\((a-2) = 5\)
so, a=7
and \(a^2 = 49\)

giving ratio : \(25/49\) which is not as given one.

trying all these, give different ratios.

what did i do wrong?

Just because \((25/39)=( (a-2x)^2 )/ (a^2)\), doesn't necessarily mean that \(25=(a-2x)^2\).

That's a general truth about ratios. If x/y = 12/19, x isn't necessarily 12. For instance, x could be 24 and y could be 38.

Chelsey Cooley | Manhattan Prep Instructor | Seattle and Online

My upcoming GMAT trial classes | GMAT blog archive

Manager
Manager
B
Concentration: Leadership, Technology
GMAT 1: 700 Q50 V35
GPA: 3.39
A square wooden plaque has a square brass inlay in the [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 17 Dec 2016, 20:36
Solution attached.

Edit1: After reading Bunuel 's one line solution, I feel really stupid, having done so much calculation :roll:
Attachments

5.jpg
5.jpg [ 212.62 KiB | Viewed 1953 times ]

Intern
Intern
B

Show Tags

New post 10 May 2017, 00:41
any measure is possible because
area (wood) / area (brass) = 25/39
=> width (wood) / width (brass) = 5/ root sqrt(39) which is smaller than 1
then if width wood increases, then width of brass increases accordingly such as wood always lies in center of brass
Re: A square wooden plaque has a square brass inlay in the   [#permalink] 10 May 2017, 00:41

Go to page   Previous    1   2   3    Next  [ 53 posts ] 

A square wooden plaque has a square brass inlay in the

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Events & Promotions

PREV
NEXT

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap