GMAT Question of the Day: Daily via email | Daily via Instagram New to GMAT Club? Watch this Video

It is currently 03 Aug 2020, 06:40

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

A star will compress itself into a white dwarf, a neutron star, or a

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Find Similar Topics 
SVP
SVP
D
Schools: ISB
GPA: 3.31
Re: A star will compress itself into a white dwarf, a neutron star, or a  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 23 Jan 2020, 19:35
aarushisingla wrote:
I agree that Choice D is best answer but I guess that in choice d , it should be written compresses rather than compress because star is singular.

Hi Aarushi, the exact structure that the sentence uses is will compress.

So, the sentence is in future (will). In future tense, we always use the plural form, irrespective of whether the subject is singular or plural.

Stars will compress.

Star will compress.

EducationAisle Online GMAT Classes

Sentence Correction Nirvana available on Amazon.in and Flipkart

Join us for a free GMAT Live Online Class from anywhere in the world
Intern
Intern
B
Re: A star will compress itself into a white dwarf, a neutron star, or a  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 25 Jan 2020, 21:43
EducationAisle wrote:
aarushisingla wrote:
I agree that Choice D is best answer but I guess that in choice d , it should be written compresses rather than compress because star is singular.

So, the sentence is in future (will). In future tense, we always use the plural form, irrespective of whether the subject is singular or plural.

Stars will compress.

Star will compress.

Yes, i got it. Thankyou so much.

Posted from my mobile device
Experts' Global Representative
P
GMAT Date: 11-01-2019

Show Tags

New post 27 Jan 2020, 03:34
EducationAisle wrote:
aarushisingla wrote:

Stars will compress.

Star will compress.

Hello EducationAisle

Thank you for your contribution to this conversation.

Your response to aarushisingla is absolutely correct and quite succinct.

Thank you once again for addressing this doubt.
Experts' Global Team
B
WE: Accounting (Consulting)
A star will compress itself into a white dwarf, a neutron star, or a  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 03 Feb 2020, 04:43
gmatt1476 wrote:
noboru wrote:
A star will compress itself into a white dwarf, a neutron star, or a black hole after it passes through a red giant stage, depending on mass.

(A) A star will compress itself into a white dwarf, a neutron star, or a black hole after it passes through a red giant stage, depending on mass.

(B) After passing through a red giant stage, depending on its mass, a star will compress itself into a white dwarf, a neutron star, or a black hole.

(C) After passing through a red giant stage, a star’s mass will determine if it compresses itself into a white dwarf, a neutron star, or a black hole.

(D) Mass determines whether a star, after passing through the red giant stage, will compress itself into a white dwarf, a neutron star, or a black hole.

(E) The mass of a star, after passing through the red giant stage, will determine whether it compresses itself into a white dwarf, a neutron star, or a black hole.

SC43561.01

Official Explanation

Logical predication; Rhetorical construction

The sentence attempts to convey the idea that a star will compress itself into one of three forms after it passes through the red giant stage: a white dwarf, a neutron star, or a black hole. The sentence also indicates that which one of these three forms the star will compress itself into is determined by the star's mass. As worded, these ideas are not clearly and unambiguously conveyed. For example, it is not clear what the modifying phrase depending on mass is supposed to modify. Because of its placement, it appears to modify red giant stage; it should, however, modify star. Given this problem, the sentence fails to convey its intended meaning clearly.

A. As indicated above, this version fails to convey its intended meaning clearly.

B. The referent of the pronoun its is unclear. Given that red giant stage is the only noun before its, the sentence would seem to indicate that red giant stage is the referent, but the meaning would be correct only if its refers to star. Furthermore, the modifying statement depending on its mass appears to modify red giant stage rather than star.

C. The modifying phrase After passing through a red giant stage modifies a star's mass but it should describe the star itself. Given that the mass is not what passes through the red giant stage, this is incorrect.

D. Correct. In this version, it is clear that the sentence is saying that the star itself passes through the red giant stage and that the star will ultimately compress itself into one of the three listed options: white dwarf, neutron star, or black hole.

E. The pronoun it refers to the mass of a star, rather than a star, as intended. Likewise, the star itself passes through the red giant stage, not its mass.

The correct answer is D.

Hi VeritasKarishma, Bunuel, EducationAisle, generis

My queries are related to option B.

Logically, stage does not have the mass. So, from the logic perspective, it is clear that mass is related to the star. According to the official explanation, its apparently refers to red giant stage's because red giant stage appears before the possessive pronoun its. whether it is necessary to have noun before the pronoun in a sentence?

Also, why depending in option B modifies red giant stage and not a star ?

Thank you.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
P
GMAT 1: 690 Q50 V33
GMAT ToolKit User Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 10 Feb 2020, 22:24
I thought Whether-----------or------------- construction is wrong on GMAT .Can anyone please clarify this.
SVP
SVP
D

Show Tags

New post 11 Feb 2020, 01:33
LoneSurvivor wrote:
I thought Whether-----------or------------- construction is wrong on GMAT .Can anyone please clarify this.

Hi, more specifically, Whether-----------or-------------not is generally a redundant construct.

For example, following would not be correct:

Mass determines whether or not a star, after passing through the red giant stage, will compress itself into a white dwarf.

However here, three possibilities vis-a-vis neutron star are being expressed:

..a star can compress itself into a white dwarf, a neutron star, or a black hole.

It's like this:

GMAT score will determine whether LoneSurvivor will get admit to HBS, LBS, or Wharton.

Can't think of a better way to depict these choices/options.

Intern
Intern
B
CAT Tests
A star will compress itself into a white dwarf, a neutron star, or a  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 15 Feb 2020, 01:20
Hi,

In Option D - "Mass determines whether a star, after passing through the red giant stage, will compress itself into a white dwarf, a neutron star, or a black hole"

I rejected this answer because of "Mass". It was not clear to me whose mass is it? I mean, hypothetically, Mass can also be a name of a person.
Please can someone explain what I am missing?
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
P
GMAT 1: 690 Q50 V33
GMAT ToolKit User Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 05 Mar 2020, 21:11
C and E uses wrong comparison as Mass of a start does not pass through a red giant stage rather the Star passes through.

In A ,depending on mass is situated way far
In B depending on its mass has wrong suggesting red giant stage

Hence D
Intern
Intern
B
Premium Member

Show Tags

New post 27 Apr 2020, 06:43
ekluo wrote:
Quote:
Answer Choice (D) Mass determines WHETHER a star, after passing through the red giant stage, will compress itself into a white dwarf, a neutron star, or a black hole.

My understanding was that "whether" is reserved for scenarios where there were only 2 potential outcomes (ie: going to the party or not going). In this case, there are 3 potential outcomes (compressing itself into a white dwarf, neutron star, or black hole). Is there an exception to this rule?

Can anyone explain this? This got me confused as well.
Intern
Intern

Show Tags

New post 27 Apr 2020, 23:54
noboru wrote:
A star will compress itself into a white dwarf, a neutron star, or a black hole after it passes through a red giant stage, depending on mass.

(A) A star will compress itself into a white dwarf, a neutron star, or a black hole after it passes through a red giant stage, depending on mass.

(B) After passing through a red giant stage, depending on its mass, a star will compress itself into a white dwarf, a neutron star, or a black hole.

(C) After passing through a red giant stage, a star’s mass will determine if it compresses itself into a white dwarf, a neutron star, or a black hole.

(D) Mass determines whether a star, after passing through the red giant stage, will compress itself into a white dwarf, a neutron star, or a black hole.

(E) The mass of a star, after passing through the red giant stage, will determine whether it compresses itself into a white dwarf, a neutron star, or a black hole.

SC43561.01

Hello
Let me present my idea of the solution for this question
This question can be entirely solved by just looking at the meaning of the sentence.

Meaning analysis
The sentence talks about different forms a star can change into after passing through the red giant stage. A star will compress itself into one of three forms: a white dwarf, a neutron star, or a black hole after the star will pass through the red stage. This stage is said to be depending on the mass. But this meaning is not logical and is not the intended meaning.
It is correct that a star will change into one of the three forms after passing through the red giant stage, but this alteration is based on a condition. The condition on which this transformation depends is the mass of the star. This is the logical intended meaning

Let's look at each answer choice and its meaning

As already mentioned in the meaning analysis, this choice does not convey the intended logical meaning.

'This choice changes the meaning. This choice means that depending on the mass the star will pass through the red giant stage. This is not the correct meaning

In this choice, it seems that the star's mass is actually passing through the red giant star. Also, this choice says that the mass will determine if the mass will compress into a white dwarf, a neutron star, or a black hole. Incorrect.

This choice conveys the intended meaning logically and grammatically.

This choice makes the same meaning error as made in choice C

What is the benefit of using the meaning-based approach is that you do not get stuck up on grammatical rules. In GMAT there can be answer choices that are grammatically correct but do not convey the correct meaning. The meaning-based approach helps you save time and extra efforts to find the correct answer. :)
Director
Director
P
CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 28 Apr 2020, 00:29
daagh EducationAisle

After passing through a red giant stage,depending on its mass, a star will compress itself into a white dwarf, a neutron star, or a black hole.

I eliminated B because "After passing through a red giant stage" should be followed by the modifying entity ie "a star". Is this correct?
SVP
SVP
D

Show Tags

New post 28 Apr 2020, 01:57
Kritisood wrote:
After passing through a red giant stage,depending on its mass, a star will compress itself into a white dwarf, a neutron star, or a black hole.

I eliminated B because "After passing through a red giant stage" should be followed by the modifying entity ie "a star". Is this correct?

Hi Kriti, your observation is broadly correct.

Sometimes however, a non-essential phrase can be expected after the introductory participial phrase.

For example, following would be acceptable:

While playing at Wankhede, Mumbai's biggest cricket stadium, Tendulkar scored fifteen centuries.

Notice that Mumbai's biggest cricket stadium is an appositive, modifying Wankhede.

Director
Director
P
CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 28 Apr 2020, 03:51
EducationAisle wrote:
Kritisood wrote:

Sometimes however, a non-essential phrase can be expected after the introductory participial phrase.

While playing at Wankhede, Mumbai's biggest cricket stadium, Tendulkar scored fifteen centuries.

Notice that Mumbai's biggest cricket stadium is an appositive, modifying Wankhede.

understood, so this cannot be the sole reason to eliminate an answer choice then? Between D and B i gave preference to D because of this.
Intern
Intern

Show Tags

New post 28 Apr 2020, 04:08
Kritisood wrote:
EducationAisle wrote:
Kritisood wrote:

understood, so this cannot be the sole reason to eliminate an answer choice then? Between D and B i gave preference to D because of this.

Hey there
You can refer to my post to understand other ways to eliminate answer choices :)
SVP
SVP
D

Show Tags

New post 28 Apr 2020, 04:13
Kritisood wrote:

Hi Kriti, in the sentence under consideration, your reason to eliminate B is correct, since depending on its mass is not a non-essential phrase.

However, following sentence would also have been correct (from a modifier perspective):

After passing through a red giant stage, the last stage of stellar evolution, a star.....

the last stage of stellar evolution is a non-essential phrase modifying a red giant stage. So, in the above sentence, the participial phrase After passing through a red giant stage would correctly have modified a star.

Intern
Intern
B
GMAT 1: 700 Q50 V34
CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 02 Jun 2020, 03:38
Queries for various options:

(A) What is 'depending on mass' modifying here?

(D) Use of 'whether' in this context conveys optionality - whether (or not). From the original sentence, there doesn't seem to be a doubt whether the star will compress into one form, but which one. Hence the use of 'whether' here isn't appropriate.
Intern
Intern
B

Show Tags

New post 03 Jun 2020, 07:39
Here 'depending on the mass' and 'mass determines' were interchanged and both were correct. Don't they convey different meanings?

Also in the correct choice D- we don't know whose mass? Does that not matter?
Director
Director
P
CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 04 Jun 2020, 09:27
daagh as per this concept
"The concept is that whenever there is a pronoun in the subordinate portion of a complex sentence, the subordinate clause should be followed by the subject of the main clause. In addition, the protocol of pronoun reference is that the pronoun first refers to the subject of the main clause, and if that be not suitable, may seek any other logical eligible referent. "

in D the subject is "mass" but "will compress itself into a white dwarf, a neutron star, or a black hole" refers to the star. could you pls assist in clearing the confusion?
Intern
Intern
B

Show Tags

New post 04 Jun 2020, 13:06
I chose B.

I crossed D off because I thought it should say "The star's mass" or something like that. I didn't think starting off the sentence with "Mass" was specific enough. "The star's mass determines whether the star..." or something would have been much more clear.

Can anyone tell me why my assumption was wrong?
Retired Moderator
V
WE: Education (Education)

Show Tags

New post 04 Jun 2020, 19:09
Top Contributor
Kriti

I didn't get your doubt rightly. mass is no doubt the subject and 'determines' is the verb of the main clause and there is a subordinate clause starting with 'whether a star ", which you seem to have lost sight of. Therefore the actual subject is the star and you in your super-haste or overindulgence went astray.
Please do the Serenity Prayer every day religiously and your confusion will clear. Best of Luck.

The excellent high-end materials that you gave me were, in fact, the drivers of my performance that I added the extra marks to my score
Arjun - 919884544509 / newnaren@gmail.com
GMAT Club Bot
Re: A star will compress itself into a white dwarf, a neutron star, or a   [#permalink] 04 Jun 2020, 19:09

Go to page   Previous    1   2   3   4    Next  [ 64 posts ] 

A star will compress itself into a white dwarf, a neutron star, or a

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics