Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 04:04 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 04:04

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Kudos
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 3420 [36]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 3378 [17]
Given Kudos: 877
Concentration: Marketing, International Business
Schools: HBS '19
GMAT 1: 770 Q51 V44
GPA: 4
WE:Education (Education)
Send PM
General Discussion
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 34 [3]
Given Kudos: 115
GPA: 2.3
WE:Information Technology (Computer Software)
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 95 [3]
Given Kudos: 42
GMAT 1: 620 Q48 V28
GMAT 2: 700 Q50 V33
Send PM
Re: A study by the Ocean Wildlife Campaign urged states to undertake a num [#permalink]
Kudos
Bookmarks
in this sentence which is referring to remidies but it cannot be placed next to remedies so use including which modifies the entire clause.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 599 [2]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Re: A study by the Ocean Wildlife Campaign urged states to undertake a num [#permalink]
Kudos
i'll go for D
in C 'which' refers to population but infact it shud refer to remedies..
D has correct parallelism establishing, closing, requiring
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [2]
Given Kudos: 16
Send PM
Kudos
Please explain that why 'which' is used improperly?
Verbal Forum Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 8808 [2]
Given Kudos: 171
Concentration: General Management, Strategy
GPA: 3.2
WE:Information Technology (Consulting)
Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks
ShashankDave wrote:
anairamitch1804 wrote:
This sentence has parallelism error. The list is not parallel. Since 3rd element of the list is not underlined, elements 1 and 2 should follow the structure of element 3. Thus, all elements should be verb-ing forms as follows:

1) establishing size limits for shark catches
2) closing state waters for shark fishing during pupping season
3) requiring commercial fishers to have federal shark permits
This sentence also has modifier error. The modifier “which includes…” modifies the closest noun or noun phrase. In this sentence, it does not make sense for the “which modifier” providing list of remedies to modify either the noun phrase “decline in shark population” or the noun “the shark population”.

In A and B, the singular verb includes implies that the pronoun which refers either to the singular noun decline or to the singular noun population, but neither the decline nor the population is including the list of remedies that follows. Eliminate A and B.
C and E lack parallelism: the establishment of (the + noun + preposition), the establishing of (the + gerund + preposition), and the closing of (the + gerund + preposition) are not parallel with requiring commercial fishers (gerund + direct object). Eliminate C and E.
The correct answer is D.
D is correct primarily because A, B, C and E each have a clear error.
In D, including and establishing are performing different functions.

Generally, when a present participle (such as including) is preceded by a comma, it refers to the subject of the previous clause. It could be argued that including refers to the study: the study is including -- among the remedies that it recommends -- establishing size limits, closing state waters, and requiring fishers to have permits.
Establishing is not a present participle but a gerund (a verb functioning as a noun). Establishing size limits is one of the remedies that the study is including.

I agree with D as the correct answer only because it is better than all the others. But I do have a question regarding its grammatical correctness. The problem is with "including".

This has been used at the end of the main clause to tell something extra about the clause. But from what I've read in MGMAT and e-GMAT, if a Verb-ing nodifier is placed at the end of a sentence, then it can do only the following:-
1. Tell us about the result of an action in the clause.
2. Tell us something extra about a verb in the clause.

In this sentence, "including" is doing none of these, but is used to modify a noun in the preceding clause. Is there some grammatical knowledge that I'm missing? Please help.

Posted from my mobile device

Hi ShashankDave ,

comma+ INCLUDING is used -
- It modifies the preceding Noun
- It should give a list of SOME, but not ALL, of that noun.
- Though it looks like comma+ing , it does not function like one.

Here , "including" is placed as close as possible to "remedies"

*For more information on this, watch Thursdays with Ron - Sep 23 , 2010
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 4653 [2]
Given Kudos: 629
GMAT Focus 1:
715 Q83 V90 DI83
GMAT 1: 780 Q50 V51
GRE 1: Q170 V169
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
nishantgauragmat wrote:
GMATNinja , in this question can't which refer to "a number of remedies....."?
So at the end "which includes" means "a number of remedies" includes "establishing limit....,closing ...., and requiring ....
A number of is just another way of saying some or many. To be more specific, when you see a number of + [plural noun] used this way, the focus is always on the plural noun, and not on the word number. For example:

1. A number of people who has taken the GMAT...
vs.
2. A number of people who have taken the GMAT...

So effectively, it doesn't matter whether we look at remedies or a number of remedies. The verb after the which cannot be singular.

3. ... a number of remedies, which includes...
Verbal Forum Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 8808 [1]
Given Kudos: 171
Concentration: General Management, Strategy
GPA: 3.2
WE:Information Technology (Consulting)
Send PM
Kudos
A study by the Ocean Wildlife Campaign urged states to undertake a number of remedies to reverse a decline in the shark population, which includes the establishment of size limits for shark catches, closing state waters for shark fishing during pupping season, and requiring commercial fishers to have federal shark permits.

A. which includes the establishment of size limits for shark catches, closing - usage of which to refer to a number of remedies but it refers to population here ; subject verb agreement
B. which includes establishing limits to the size of sharks that can be caught, closing - usage of which to refer to a number of remedies but it refers to population here; subject verb agreement
C. which include the establishment of size limits for shark catches, the closing of - usage of which to refer to a number of remedies but it refers to population here
D. including establishing size limits for shark catches, closing - Correct
E. including the establishing of limits to the size of sharks that are caught, the closing of - Parallelism issue - the establishing , the closing and requiring

Answer D
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 63652 [1]
Given Kudos: 1773
GMAT 1: 780 Q51 V46
GMAT 2: 800 Q51 V51
GRE 1: Q170 V170

GRE 2: Q170 V170
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
mallya12 wrote:
GMATNinja
I agree with D as the correct answer only because it is better than all the others. But I do have a question regarding its grammatical correctness. The problem is with "including".

This has been used at the end of the main clause to tell something extra about the clause. But from what I've read in e-GMAT, if a Verb-ing modifier is placed at the end of a sentence, then it can do only the following:-

In this sentence, "including" is doing none of these, but is used to modify a noun in the preceding clause. Is there some grammatical knowledge that I'm missing? Please help.

"-ing" modifiers can also act as adjectives and modify nouns! For example, "The man eating sushi has fishy breath."

For more on this, check out section 4 of this article.

I hope this helps!
CEO
CEO
Own Kudos [?]: 3528 [1]
Given Kudos: 149
Schools: ISB
GPA: 3.31
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
mallya12 wrote:

This has been used at the end of the main clause to tell something extra about the clause. But from what I've read in e-GMAT, if a Verb-ing modifier is placed at the end of a sentence, then it can do only the following:-

Hi mallya12, this indeed creates confusion. The rule you've mentioned (result/something extra about the clause) is for present participial phrases. However, including is not a present participial phrase; including is actually a preposition. Hence, the general rules of participial phrases do not apply to including.

including can modify the Noun or Noun-Phrase immediately before the word including.

An officially correct sentence:

A study by the Ocean Wildlife Campaign urged states to undertake a number of remedies to reverse a decline in the shark population, including establishing size limits for shark catches, closing state waters for shark fishing during pupping season, and requiring commercial fishers to have federal shark permits.

Notice how including modifies a rather far-away noun remedies.

p.s. Our book EducationAisle Sentence Correction Nirvana has a special note on the usage of including. Have attached the corresponding section of the book, for your reference.
Attachments

Including.pdf [10.85 KiB]
Downloaded 80 times

Own Kudos [?]: 1970 [0]
Given Kudos: 200
Concentration: Finance, Technology
GMAT 1: 730 Q49 V41
GPA: 4
Send PM
A study by the Ocean Wildlife Campaign urged states to undertake a number of remedies to reverse a decline in the shark population, which includes the establishment of size limits for shark catches, closing state waters for shark fishing during pupping season, and requiring commercial fishers to have federal shark permits.

A. which includes the establishment of size limits for shark catches, closing
B. which includes establishing limits to the size of sharks that can be caught, closing
C. which include the establishment of size limits for shark catches, the closing of
D. including establishing size limits for shark catches, closing
E. including the establishing of limits to the size of sharks that are caught, the closing of
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 239 [0]
Given Kudos: 872
Concentration: Marketing, Finance
GMAT 1: 740 Q50 V41
GPA: 3
Send PM
anairamitch1804 wrote:
This sentence has parallelism error. The list is not parallel. Since 3rd element of the list is not underlined, elements 1 and 2 should follow the structure of element 3. Thus, all elements should be verb-ing forms as follows:

1) establishing size limits for shark catches
2) closing state waters for shark fishing during pupping season
3) requiring commercial fishers to have federal shark permits
This sentence also has modifier error. The modifier “which includes…” modifies the closest noun or noun phrase. In this sentence, it does not make sense for the “which modifier” providing list of remedies to modify either the noun phrase “decline in shark population” or the noun “the shark population”.

In A and B, the singular verb includes implies that the pronoun which refers either to the singular noun decline or to the singular noun population, but neither the decline nor the population is including the list of remedies that follows. Eliminate A and B.
C and E lack parallelism: the establishment of (the + noun + preposition), the establishing of (the + gerund + preposition), and the closing of (the + gerund + preposition) are not parallel with requiring commercial fishers (gerund + direct object). Eliminate C and E.
The correct answer is D.
D is correct primarily because A, B, C and E each have a clear error.
In D, including and establishing are performing different functions.

Generally, when a present participle (such as including) is preceded by a comma, it refers to the subject of the previous clause. It could be argued that including refers to the study: the study is including -- among the remedies that it recommends -- establishing size limits, closing state waters, and requiring fishers to have permits.
Establishing is not a present participle but a gerund (a verb functioning as a noun). Establishing size limits is one of the remedies that the study is including.

This has been used at the end of the main clause to tell something extra about the clause. But from what I've read in MGMAT and e-GMAT, if a Verb-ing nodifier is placed at the end of a sentence, then it can do only the following:-

Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [0]
Given Kudos: 25
Send PM
GMATNinja , in this question can't which refer to "a number of remedies....."?
So at the end "which includes" means "a number of remedies" includes "establishing limit....,closing ...., and requiring ....
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 18 [0]
Given Kudos: 93
Send PM
GMATNinja

Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 396 [0]
Given Kudos: 2198
Send PM
singh_amit19 wrote:

(A) which includes the establishment of size limits for shark catches, closing

(B) which includes establishing limits to the size of sharks that can be caught, closing

(C) which include the establishment of size limits for shark catches, the closing of

(D) including establishing size limits for shark catches, closing

(E) including the establishing of limits to the size of sharks that are caught, the closing of

some verb-form words such as "including", " combined" or "compared with" are not verb or participle but word as a preposition
"including" here is a preposition. look at it in a dictionary.

including normally refer to a plural noun such as "remedies". but , it, I think, can refer to a single noun. I have a 3 day holiday, including nest friday.

"including" can refer to far noun "remedies", so, which can refer to "remedies. but I see that gmat do not like which refer to a far noun, while it permit "including" refer to a far noun/nouns.

but even if "which" can refer to "remedies", this reference is not logical. "remedies " can not "includes". the verb "includes" means "contains". each "remedies" can not contain
closing or requiring.
"including" is a preposition. it means "among them are closing, and requiring". this meaning is logical.
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Affiliations: CrackVerbal
Own Kudos [?]: 7625 [0]
Given Kudos: 215
Send PM
Top Contributor
singh_amit19 wrote:

(B) which includes establishing limits to the size of sharks that can be caught, closing

(C) which include the establishment of size limits for shark catches, the closing of

(E) including the establishing of limits to the size of sharks that are caught, the closing of

This question tests the concepts of Modifiers and Parallelism.

The intended meaning of the sentence is that a study urged states to undertake a number of remedies to reverse a decline in the shark population. The sentence then lists the remedies. The remedies are listed in the form of a modifier and since there is a list of remedies, there is also parallelism involved.

When we do a vertical scan of the options, we see that Options A, B, and C begin with the relative pronoun ‘which’ and Options D and E begin with the participle ‘including’.

A relative pronoun refers to the noun immediately before it, which in this case, would be “shark population”. Since ‘shark population’ cannot include the establishment of size limits for shark catches etc., the sentence doesn’t convey a logical meaning.

Further, parallelism is also affected in Options A and C. The last part of the sentence is a list of remedies – establishing…, closing…, and requiring…
In Options A and C, ‘establishing’ has been changed to ‘the establishment’. So, Options A and C can be eliminated.

In Option B, parallelism has been maintained but the phrase “establishing limits to the size of sharks that can be caught” changes the meaning. The limits are on the size of ‘shark catches’, meaning the number of sharks that can be caught, not on the size of the sharks that can be caught. So, Option B can also be eliminated.

Between Options D and E, E contains the same error as Option B. The phrase “establishing limits to the size of sharks that can be caught” has been used in this option too. So, Option E can be eliminated.

Therefore, Option D is the most appropriate one.

Jayanthi Kumar.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 37 [0]
Given Kudos: 195
GMAT 1: 710 Q50 V36
Send PM
A study by the Ocean Wildlife Campaign urged states to undertake a num [#permalink]

1) "which" usually modifies the nearest "noun" or "noun + modifier": Here, "which" seems to modify "shark population" or "a decline", meaning that "shark population" or "decline" includes the establishment...closing state waters..., and requiring. Illogical

2) Parallelism issue: ...the establishment...closing state waters..., and requiring

1) "which" usually modifies the nearest "noun" or "noun + modifier": Here, "which" seems to modify "shark population" or "a decline", meaning that "shark population" or "decline" includes the establishment...closing state waters..., and requiring. Illogical

2) "that", an essentiol modifier, narrows down the noun it modifies: "sharks that can be caught"---> here, "that" gives the meaning that there some sharks that can be caught and other sharks that cannot be caught. For example, "Hammerhead sharks" can be caught, while "Great white shark" cannot. Besides, (B) says that some countermeasures include establishing limits to the SIZE of sharks that can be caught. ILLOGICAL: The intended meaning is that there should be limits on shark catches, not the size or types of sharks.

1) the same problem with "which"

2) Parallelism issue: ...the establishment...the closing state waters..., and requiring

1) Unlike some other "comma + V_ing", which usually modifies the nearest action and its agent, "comma + including" modifies a noun, which can be anywhere in the preceding clause, and serves to mean "for example".

Now, Let's find a plural noun that can include the three actions: estalishing...closing..., and requiring.

Yes, You are right! "remedies": "remedies" can include the three actions: estalishing...closing..., and requiring.

1) Parallelism issue: ...the establishment...the closing state waters..., and requiring
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 137 [0]
Given Kudos: 426
Send PM
Moral of the story - Parallelism should be the better route to eliminate our answers.
Establishing….,closing….., and requiring…..

Only option B and D follow this structure.

B is incorrect as “includes” can refer to singular antecedent but we don’t have any singular antecedent.

Hence D is our answer.

Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 137 [0]
Given Kudos: 426
Send PM
Moral of the story - Parallelism should be the better route to eliminate our answers.
Establishing….,closing….., and requiring…..

Only option B and D follow this structure.

B is incorrect as “includes” can refer to singular antecedent but we don’t have any singular antecedent.

Hence D is our answer.

GMAT Club Bot
 1   2   
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6917 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts