Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 12:46 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 12:46

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 1480 [243]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 63657 [59]
Given Kudos: 1773
GMAT 1: 780 Q51 V46
GMAT 2: 800 Q51 V51
GRE 1: Q170 V170

GRE 2: Q170 V170
Send PM
Magoosh GMAT Instructor
Own Kudos [?]: 28569 [21]
Given Kudos: 130
Experts' Global Representative
Own Kudos [?]: 4683 [3]
Given Kudos: 38
GMAT Date: 11-01-2019
Send PM
Re: A study of food resources in the North Pacific between 1989 and 1996 [#permalink]
Kudos
Bookmarks
Expert Reply
Dear Friends,

Here is a detailed explanation to this question-
laxieqv wrote:
A study of food resources in the North Pacific between 1989 and 1996 revealed that creatures of the seabed were suffering from dwindling food supplies, possibly resulting from increasing sea surface temperatures during the same period.

(A) that creatures of the seabed were suffering from dwindling food supplies, possibly resulting from increasing

(B) that creatures of the seabed were suffering because food supplies were dwindling, possibly as a result of an increase in

(C) that creatures of the seabed were suffering because of food supplies, which were dwindling possibly as a result of increasing

(D) creatures of the seabed that were suffering from food supplies that were dwindling, possibly resulting from an increase in

(E) creatures of the seabed that were suffering because food supplies were dwindling, which possibly resulted from increasing

Meaning is crucial to solving this problem:
Understanding the intended meaning is key to solving this question; the intended core meaning of this sentence is that the study revealed that creatures of the seabed were suffering because food supplies were dwindling, and they were dwindling possibly as a result of an increase in surface temperatures.

Concepts tested here: Meaning + Idioms + Awkwardness/Redundancy

• When the word “result” is used as a noun, the correct, idiomatic usage is “result + of”, and when “result” is used as a verb, the idiomatic construction is “result + from”.

A: Trap. This answer choice alters the meaning of the sentence through the phrase "suffering from dwindling food supplies"; the construction of this phrase illogically implies that the sea creatures were suffering because of the food supplies; the intended meaning is that the sea creatures were suffering because the food supplies were dwindling. Further, Option A incorrectly uses the unidiomatic construction "result (noun) from"; please remember, when the word “result” is used as a noun, the correct, idiomatic usage is “result + of”, and when “result” is used as a verb, the idiomatic construction is “result + from”.

B: Correct. This answer choice uses the phrase "revealed that creatures of the seabed were suffering because food supplies were dwindling", conveying the intended meaning - that the study revealed the fact that creatures of the seabed were suffering because food supplies were dwindling. Further, Option B correctly uses the idiomatic construction "result (noun) + of". Additionally, Option B is free of any awkwardness or redundancy.

C: This answer choice alters the meaning of the sentence through the phrase "suffering from dwindling food supplies"; the construction of this phrase illogically implies that the sea creatures were suffering because of the food supplies; the intended meaning is that the sea creatures were suffering because the food supplies were dwindling. Further, Option C uses the needlessly wordy and indirect phrase "which were dwindling possibly as a result of increasing", leading to awkwardness and redundancy.

D: This answer choice alters the meaning of the sentence through the phrase "revealed creatures of the seabed"; the construction of this phrase incorrectly implies that the study revealed the existence of creatures of the seabed that were suffering because food supplies were dwindling; the intended meaning is that the study revealed the fact that creatures of the seabed were suffering because food supplies were dwindling. Moreover, Option D further alters the meaning of the sentence through the phrase "suffering from dwindling food supplies"; the construction of this phrase illogically implies that the sea creatures were suffering because of the food supplies; the intended meaning is that the sea creatures were suffering because the food supplies were dwindling.

E: This answer choice alters the meaning of the sentence through the phrase "revealed creatures of the seabed"; the construction of this phrase incorrectly implies that the study revealed the existence of creatures of the seabed that were suffering because food supplies were dwindling; the intended meaning is that the study revealed the fact that creatures of the seabed were suffering because food supplies were dwindling. Further, Option E uses the needlessly indirect and wordy phrase "which possibly resulted from increasing", leading to awkwardness and redundancy.

Hence, B is the best answer choice.

All the best!
Experts' Global Team
General Discussion
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 134 [15]
Send PM
Re: A study of food resources in the North Pacific between 1989 and 1996 [#permalink]
Kudos
Bookmarks
One more for B.

a) that creatures of the seabed were suffering from dwindling food supplies, possibly resulting from increasing - suffering from (a disease).WRONG.

b) that creatures of the seabed were suffering because food supplies were dwindling, possibly as a result of an increase in - suffering because (of a reason)

c) that creatures of the seabed were suffering because of food supplies, which were dwindling possibly as a result of increasing - changes the meaning. the creatures were suffering from a lack of food supplies. WRONG

d) creatures of the seabed that were suffering from food supplies that were dwindling, possibly resulting from an increase in - need that. WRONG

e) creatures of the seabed that were suffering because food supplies were dwindling, which possibly resulted from increasing - need that. WRONG
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 23 [6]
Send PM
Kudos
I think the previous posters are correct that the correct answer is B, and that part of the reason that A cannot be correct is that A says the creatures suffered from dwindling food supplies, which doesn't make any sense.

that said, I'll still try to answer your question about "as a result of" vs "resulting from,"

in this sentence, just look at this segment: "... that creatures of the seabed were suffering from dwindling food supplies, possibly resulting from ..."

now remove "of the seabed" and "from dwindling food supplies," to remove some of the clutter of the sentence, because you want to be able to see clearly what the "possibly resulting from" part of the sentence is referring to. that leaves you with "... that creatures ... were suffering ... , possibly resulting from ..."

now you should be able to see pretty clearly that the phenomenon whose cause the sentence is trying to explain is the creatures' suffering, and not the dwindling food supplies. the dwindling food supplies is a secondary point in the sentence. the main issue is the suffering of the creatures. hopefully you can see that when you remove some of the supporting details?

now the question becomes: do creatures suffer as a result of something, or do they suffer resulting from something? only the first choice is correct, because "resulting from" can only be used with a noun, while "as a result of" is used with verbs. since suffer is a verb, "as a result of" must be used.

let me know if you have any questions about that.
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 3671 [3]
Given Kudos: 8
Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks
This is one of those questions that the GMAC folks have focused on - namely you come down to 2 answer choices but the correct answer choice is the one that makes sense within the sentence - though gramatically both can be correct.

In this case, C does not make sense because creatures of the seabed were NOT suffering BECAUSE of food supplies. They were suffering because the food supplies were DWINDLING.

How the sentence is structured comes to this reasoning, though in speech you may have heard people talking this way. But on the GMAT exam, it's not a sentence that makes sense.
Magoosh GMAT Instructor
Own Kudos [?]: 4562 [11]
Given Kudos: 2
Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks
Expert Reply
Hi Metallicafan :).

Let me see if I interpret your question correctly. You are asking, I believe, how the participial modifiers work with commas.

1. The sea creatures floated merrily along the water, waving their blubbery flippers.

2. The sea creatures floated merrily along the water waving their blubbery flippers.

In the first case, 'waving their...' refers to the subject of the sentence because of the comma between the participial phrase and the noun water. When I remove the comma, as I did in #2, an illogical comparison arises. Now the water is waving blubbery flippers (which, despite the arresting visual, is clearly nonsensical).

In the original question, in answer choice (A) the participial phrase 'possibly resulting' illogically modifies 'creatures'. You allude to this error. It sounds that the MGMAT folks may have been saying that getting rid of the comma would correct this faulty modification: '...were suffering from dwindling supplies possibly resulting from increasing...'. Nevertheless, this phrase sounds a bit awkward and is not as direct as (B).

Hopefully, that somewhat helps :).
Retired Moderator
Status:2000 posts! I don't know whether I should feel great or sad about it! LOL
Own Kudos [?]: 3945 [0]
Given Kudos: 109
Concentration: Finance, SMEs, Developing countries, Public sector and non profit organizations
Schools:Harvard, Stanford, Wharton, MIT & HKS (Government)
GPA: 4.0
WE 1: Economic research
WE 2: Banking
WE 3: Government: Foreign Trade and SMEs
Send PM
daagh wrote:
I would rather take a less tortuous route to get this solved. An increasing temperature means an on going and continuing affair without a cap and hence is illogical. On the contrary, an increase denotes a certain amount of increase in temperature that has ceased to increase after the spurt. This is acceptable

So we have a cause to dump A, C and E. Coming to B and D, In D, the usage ‘creatures of the seabed that were suffering’ flouts touch rule of the relative pronoun. So there is enough reason to choose B, not withstanding the debate about the modification

Thank you Chriss and daagh!
daagh, I have an additional question: In the case of C, could "as a result of increasing" mean also that the food supplies are increasing the temperature?
Let' see: "...because of food supplies, which were dwindling possibly as a result of increasing temperatures..."
Now, let's see this example: She love me as a result of sending love letters and chocolates to her.

In this case, "sending" is not a modifier of "love letters and chocolates".

What do you think? Probably, choice C (and A and E) could also have that ambiguous meaning. Maybe we could undestand that the food supplies are increasing the temperatures. In other words, "increasing" is not a modifier in those choices.
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 42103 [2]
Given Kudos: 422
WE:Education (Education)
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
I fully agree that in your example, the word sending is certainly a gerund; However In the case of increasing temps, the expression increasing of temps, would have made it straighter.

If this sentence is flipped it will read as follows: A study of food resources in the North Pacific between 1989 and 1996 revealed that increasing temperatures (an increase in temperatures) during the same period possibly caused the dwindling of food supplies, which in turn caused the creatures of the seabed to suffer. Perhaps, this would make it clear what caused what. As per this, it looks as if the temperatures were the initiators of the whole phenomenon.

But IMO, the prime purpose of this topic, would be to test whether 1. We can make a distinction between increasing temperatures and an increase in temperature and whether 2. We can elicit the necessity of using the connector ‘that’ in a reported text such as this.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 4324 [6]
Given Kudos: 197
Concentration: General Management, Operations
GMAT 1: 700 Q50 V34
GPA: 3.6
Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks
Dhairya275 wrote:
A study of food resources in the North Pacific between 1986 and 1996 revealed that creatures of the seabed were suffering from dwindling food supplies, possibly resulting from increasing sea surface temperatures during the same period.

A. that creatures of the seabed were suffering from dwindling food supplies, possibly resulting from increasing
B. that creatures of the seabed were suffering because food supplies were dwindling, possibly as a result of an increase in
C. that creatures of the seabed were suffering because food supplies, which were dwindling possibly as a result of increasing
D. creatures of the seabed that were suffering from food supplies that were dwindling, possibly resulting from an increase in
E. creatures of the seabed that were suffering because food supplies were dwindling, which possibly resulted from increasing

IMO B
SOME THEORIES:
-verb-ing =>when followed by a (clause+comma) either modify -whole clause or -show result .
-which =>this can never refer to whole clause it either refers to noun or noun phrase.

A. that creatures of the seabed were suffering from dwindling food supplies, possibly resulting from increasing
WRONG.
-Dwindling food supplies =>it seems that food supplies were dwindling by itself.=>illigical.
-wrong usage of verb-ing after (clause+comma)=>neither showing result of previous clause nor describing previous clause.

B. that creatures of the seabed were suffering because food supplies were dwindling, possibly as a result of an increase in
RIGHT.

C. that creatures of the seabed were suffering because food supplies, which were dwindling possibly as a result of increasing
WRONG.
-The part starting from WHICH WERE..{...}is acting as a modifier..now if you remove this modifier you can easily see that sentence is incomplete hence a fragment.

D. creatures of the seabed that were suffering from food supplies that were dwindling, possibly resulting from an increase in
WRONG.
-Lack of THAT after revealed..(revealed that ...)
-again same as C its a fragment.

E. creatures of the seabed that were suffering because food supplies were dwindling, which possibly resulted from increasing
WRONG.
-use of which is wrong....as we know which cant refer to a CLAUSE hence it is either refering to FOOD SUPPLIES or DWINDLING(not a noun)..in both cases sentence doesnt makes sense.

hence B
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 31 [0]
Given Kudos: 15
Send PM
I am able to D and E because of missing that.

C is incorrect because of which, its creating a doubt in logic.

I was confused between A and B. So i went with the shorter sentence and Hence selected A. I couldnt find any reason to select the best answer.

Can you please help me in understanding the modifier concept here and how its applied?

Cheers,
Ankur
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 1588 [0]
Given Kudos: 56
Send PM
ankurjohar wrote:
I am able to D and E because of missing that.

C is incorrect because of which, its creating a doubt in logic.

I was confused between A and B. So i went with the shorter sentence and Hence selected A. I couldnt find any reason to select the best answer.

Can you please help me in understanding the modifier concept here and how its applied?

Cheers,
Ankur

With pleasure :)

When ever you see such hugely worded questions, you can remove prepositional phrases, (modifiers in the non-underlined portion) etc, to easily identify the SV pair.

A study of food resources in the North Pacific between 1989 and 1996 revealed that creatures of the seabed were suffering from dwindling food supplies, possibly resulting from increasing sea surface temperatures during the same period.

A) that creatures of the seabed were suffering from dwindling food supplies, possibly resulting from increasing
creatures of the bed were suffering because of some reason. They don't suffer from dwindling food supplies. (you suffer from/with something abstract. You don't suffer from a proper noun)

B) that creatures of the seabed were suffering because food supplies were dwindling, possibly as a result of an increase in
Why were the creatures suffering? because of dwindling food supplies. How did this happen? As a result of an increase in ..
Perfectly fine.

C) that creatures of the seabed were suffering because of food supplies, which were dwindling possibly as a result of increasing
This sentence means that creatures were suffering because of food supplies. The sentence actually means that the creatures were suffering because food supplies are dwindling.

D) creatures of the seabed that were suffering from food supplies that were dwindling, possibly resulting from an increase in
Lot of issues here. Creatures were suffering from food supplies? Absolutely wrong. The modifier is modifying the preceding clause (wrongly)

E) creatures of the seabed that were suffering because food supplies were dwindling, which possibly resulted from increasing
Creatures were dwindling? This isn't the intended meaning.
e-GMAT Representative
Own Kudos [?]: 30782 [3]
Given Kudos: 635
GMAT Date: 08-19-2020
Send PM
Kudos