Check GMAT Club Decision Tracker for the Latest School Decision Releases https://gmatclub.com/AppTrack

It is currently 29 May 2017, 03:31

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

A sudden increase in the production of elephant ivory

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 10

Re: A sudden increase in the production of elephant ivory [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 03 Aug 2013, 01:28
hi maggie,

the highlited portion is not correct IMO.

A sudden increase in the production of elephant ivory artifacts on the Mediterranean coast of North Africa occurred in the tenth century. Historians explain this increase as the result of an area opening up as a new source of ivory and argue on this basisthat the important medieval trade between North Africa and East Africa began at this period.

IN THE ARGUMENT IT SAYS THAT A NEW SOURCE OF IVORY WAS FOUND ...AND ON THE BASIS OF THAT HISTORIANS ARGUE THAT :the important medieval trade between North Africa and East Africa began at this period.===>SO TRADE DOESNT LED TO INCREASE IN THE PRODUCTION OF ARTIFACTS.

hope it helps[/quote]

Hi, thanks! that really helps.
so a new source led to the increase right? then why does the author need to mention the trade here? i don't get this part.
"argue on this basis" means "argue on the basis of the new source of invory" right?
Intern
Intern

Show Tags

New post 03 Aug 2013, 01:44
blueseas wrote:

yes true that is not related actually...but GMAT does this this to confuse the test takers...by merging two things...
first the topic is regarding historians finding reason that how the ivory artfact number increased...then suddenly new topic is merged(which is rather main topic for this question).===>that historians assumed that trade started during this time....so finally according to question stem you have just to focus on trade thing.

so a takeaway will be : when there is EXCEPT question ...dont prethink the answer...rather understand the argument and then start eliminating wrong answers.

hope it helps

DO NOT PREPHRASING, i will keep that in mind :-D
so one thing just for sure, the author included the ivory part just to introduce the trade thing,
"trade thing" is "the historian's account" ( in the question stem), right?
Intern
Intern

Show Tags

New post 03 Aug 2013, 01:49
blueseas wrote:
maggiegecby wrote:

DO NOT PREPHRASING, i will keep that in mind :-D
so one thing just for sure, the author included the ivory part just to introduce the trade thing,
"trade thing" is "the historian's account" ( in the question stem), right?

yes that is correct.

great!! thanks a lot !!! crystal clear now :-D
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Followers: 1000

Kudos [?]: 225 [0], given: 0

Premium Member

Show Tags

New post 24 Aug 2014, 09:28
Hello from the GMAT Club VerbalBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Followers: 1000

Kudos [?]: 225 [0], given: 0

Premium Member

Show Tags

New post 30 Nov 2015, 21:04
Hello from the GMAT Club VerbalBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
S
Concentration: Marketing, International Business
Schools: HBS '19
GMAT 1: 770 Q51 V44
GPA: 4
WE: Education (Education)
Followers: 25

Kudos [?]: 64 [0], given: 823

Show Tags

New post 07 May 2017, 02:06
The conclusion is: trade between east Africa and north Africa began during tenth century.
This is an Except question. so we are looking for an answer choice that does not provide support for the stimulus.
Remember, Not provide support can mean either a weakening statement/ junk answer . Be open for all options.

(A) In East Africa gold coins from Mediterranean North Africa have been found at a tenth-century site but at no
earlier sites. This provides support to say that the contact between the 2 parts indeed started at around 10th century. Eliminated.

(B) The many surviving letters of pre-tenth-century North African merchants include no mention of business
transactions involving East Africa. When they dont mention, it means such trade did not exist then. since trade was not established before tenth century, it supports the stimulus in establishing that the trade started after. Eliminated.

(C) Excavations in East Africa reveal a tenth-century change in architectural style to reflect North African
patterns. when we see architectural changes? when the people get exposed to such architectures. Here it again supports the stimulus.Eliminated

(D) Documents from Mediterranean Europe and North Africa that date back earlier than the tenth century
show knowledge of East African animals. If prior to 10th century, inhabitants had knowledge of east African animals, then it cannot mean that trade started around 10th century. The inhabitants must be already be in contact to establish the exchange of info. Weakens the stimulus. My answer.

(E) East African carvings in a style characteristic of the tenth century depict seagoing vessels very different
from those used by local sailors but of a type common in the Mediterranean.This again establishes the contact that occurred during 10th century. Eliminated.

Thanks & Regards,
Anaira Mitch

Re: A sudden increase in the production of elephant ivory   [#permalink] 07 May 2017, 02:06

Go to page   Previous    1   2   [ 26 posts ]