Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 15:36 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 15:36

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 227 [131]
Given Kudos: 4
Schools:UNC Duke Kellogg
 Q50  V44
GPA: 3.28
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 294 [40]
Given Kudos: 4
Send PM
CR Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 15266 [15]
Given Kudos: 26
Schools:
GMAT 1: 780 Q50 V47
WE:Corporate Finance (Pharmaceuticals and Biotech)
Send PM
Experts' Global Representative
Own Kudos [?]: 4683 [4]
Given Kudos: 38
GMAT Date: 11-01-2019
Send PM
Re: A surge in new home sales and a drop in weekly unemployment claims [#permalink]
Kudos
Bookmarks
Expert Reply
Dear Friends,

Here is a detailed explanation to this question-
DevilDoggNC wrote:
A surge in new home sales and a drop in weekly unemployment claims suggest that the economy might not be as weak as some analysts previously thought.

(A) claims suggest that the economy might not be as weak as some analysts previously thought

(B) claims suggests that the economy might not be so weak as some analysts have previously thought

(C) claims suggest that the economy might not be as weak as have been previously thought by some analysts

(D) claims, suggesting about the economy that it might not be so weak as previously thought by some analysts

(E) claims, suggesting the economy might not be as weak as previously thought to be by some analysts

Concepts tested here: Subject-Verb Agreement + Tenses + Grammatical Construction + Idioms + Awkwardness/Redundancy

• The present perfect tense (marked by the use of the helping verb “has/have”) is used to describe events that concluded in the past but continue to affect the present.
• The simple past tense is used to refer to actions concluded in the past.
• Two singular nouns joined by "and" form a plural noun phrase.
• “as A as B” is the correct, idiomatic usage.

A: Correct. This answer choice correctly acts upon the independent subject "A surge in new home sales and a drop in weekly unemployment claims" with the active verb "suggest" to form a complete thought, leading to a complete sentence. Moreover, Option A correctly refers to the plural noun phrase "A surge in new home sales and a drop in weekly unemployment claims" with the plural verb "suggest" and refers to the plural noun "analysts" with the verb "thought", which can refer to both plural and singular nouns. Additionally, Option A correctly uses the simple past tense verb "thought" to refer to an action that concluded in the past. Option A also correctly uses the idiomatic construction "as A as B". Besides, Option A is free of any awkwardness or redundancy.

B: This answer choice incorrectly refers to the plural noun phrase "A surge in new home sales and a drop in weekly unemployment claims" with the singular verb "suggests"; remember, two singular nouns joined by "and" form a plural noun phrase. Further, Option B incorrectly uses the present perfect tense verb "have...thought" to refer to an action that concluded in the past; please remember, the simple past tense is used to refer to actions that concluded in the past, and the present perfect tense (marked by the use of the helping verb “has/have”) is used to describe events that concluded in the past but continue to affect the present. Additionally, Option B incorrectly uses the unidiomatic construction "so A as B"; please remember, “as A as B” is the correct, idiomatic usage.

C: This answer choice incorrectly refers to the singular noun "economy" with the plural noun "have been...thought". Further, Option C incorrectly uses the present perfect tense verb "have been...thought" to refer to an action that concluded in the past; please remember, the simple past tense is used to refer to actions that concluded in the past, and the present perfect tense (marked by the use of the helping verb “has/have”) is used to describe events that concluded in the past but continue to affect the present. Additionally, Option C uses the passive voice construction "have been previously thought by some analysts", leading to awkwardness and redundancy.

D: This answer choice fails to form a complete sentence; as "suggesting" is a present participle ("verb+ing") acting as a modifier, there is no active verb to act upon the subject noun "A surge in new home sales and a drop in weekly unemployment claims". Further, Option D incorrectly uses the unidiomatic construction "so A as B"; please remember, “as A as B” is the correct, idiomatic usage. Additionally, Option D uses the needlessly wordy and passive phrases "suggesting about the economy" and "previously thought by some analysts", leading to awkwardness and redundancy.

E: This answer choice fails to form a complete sentence; as "suggesting" is a present participle ("verb+ing") acting as a modifier, there is no active verb to act upon the subject noun "A surge in new home sales and a drop in weekly unemployment claims". Further, Option D uses the needlessly wordy phrase "thought to be", leading to awkwardness and redundancy.

Hence, A is the best answer choice.

To understand the concept of "Present Perfect Tense" on GMAT, you may want to watch the following video (~1 minute):

To understand the concept of "Simple Tenses" on GMAT, you may want to watch the following video (~1 minute):

All the best!
Experts' Global Team
General Discussion
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 3 [3]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Re: A surge in new home sales and a drop in weekly unemployment claims [#permalink]
Kudos
I am quoting this from OG12

Quote:
A surge in new home sales and a drop in weekly unemployment claims suggest that the economy might not be as weak as some analysts previously thought.

(A) claims suggest that the economy might not be as weak as some analysts previously thought
(B) claims suggests that the economy might not be so weak as some analysts have previously thought
(C) claims suggest that the economy might not be as weak as have been previously thought by some analysts
(D) claims, suggesting about the economy that it might not be so weak as previously thought by some analysts
(E) claims, suggesting the economy might not be as weak as previously thought to be by some analysts

Agreement; Grammatical construction

The plural subject of this sentence (surge and drop) requires a plural verb, suggest. Th e object of this verb, the clause beginning with that, should be presented in as clear and direct a manner as possible.

1. Correct. The plural subject is matched with a plural verb.

2. The singular verb suggests does not match the plural subject of the sentence.

3. The sentence offers no plural subject to fit the passive verb have been thought.

4. This construction is awkward, wordy, and imprecise; it also lacks a main verb; there is no reason to use passive voice, and suggesting about the economy that it might … introduces extra words that contribute nothing to the meaning of this sentence fragment.

5. The passive construction makes this unnecessarily wordy; the lack of a main verb makes this a sentence fragment.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 418 [2]
Given Kudos: 282
Concentration: Technology, General Management
GPA: 3.75
WE:Sales (Telecommunications)
Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks
The subject is plural here because of the use of 'and'. so let us keep A and C. Eliminate D and E because the sentences seem to be fragment.

Because, in D and E there are two subjects 'surge' and 'drop' and a sentence should have a verb that makes sense with the subject.

Now between A and D-
for me the use of 'as have been previously thought' changes the voice and structure of the sentence. So the best ans is A
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [1]
Given Kudos: 1
Send PM
Kudos
Between A and C
In A, looks like 'as weak as' is modifying how 'Analyst's thought'.
C corrects that err by comparing economy that is 'being suggested' to the one 'previously thought'.As the emphasis here is on object and not on the subject so passive voice is warranted here.

Request experts to please correct if I missed anything above.
Bloomberg Exam Prep Representative
Own Kudos [?]: 160 [3]
Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks
Expert Reply
himapm1l wrote:
Between A and C
In A, looks like 'as weak as' is modifying how 'Analyst's thought'.
C corrects that err by comparing economy that is 'being suggested' to the one 'previously thought'.As the emphasis here is on object and not on the subject so passive voice is warranted here.

Request experts to please correct if I missed anything above.

The phrase "as weak as" is used in answer A correctly, since it refers to the whole clause "as some analysts previously thought." So we are comparing two clauses. Answer C is grammatically incorrect because the subject of the verb "have been previously thought" is missing.
Manhattan Prep Instructor
Own Kudos [?]: 7775 [10]
Given Kudos: 55
GMAT 2: 780  Q50  V50
Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks
Expert Reply
The idiom is "as X as Y," but this is not a comparison in the traditional sense. It's really a way of clarifying extent. The economy may be weak, but not as low as the analysts' earlier opinion would indicate. We aren't comparing the clauses "The economy might not be [as] weak" and "some analysts thought."

So, could we say "thought to be"? In short, no--that doesn't convey a clear meaning. You may be thinking of "though it to be." That would work, but the excess words aren't really needed. The shorter version is a very common English construction:

The guests were earlier than I expected.
The food was spicier than I wanted.
The experiment has produced more startling results than anyone could have predicted.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 17 [0]
Send PM
Please kindly help!

I'm having a headache with this question, so expert please help me to sort out the 2 questions below:

1. Regarding the option "as weak as analyst previously thought". This structure is very clear. I can say it is a short form of: The economy is not as weak as analysts previously thought <It was>.

However, regarding the phrase "as previously thought by analyst", what was thought by analyst here? Is it a "virtual idea" like the experts in magoosh said or "the economy" like some replies from experts above?

If it is "the economy", how can we recover the long, full form of the sentence? Is it "the economy is not as weak as the economy, which was thought by analyst", which I think grammatically incorrect because we can not say that "the economy was thought by analyst"or in active form "analyst thought the economy". Should it be " As previously thought about by analyst" or "as previously thought to be by analyst", so that when we recover the full clause, it is more natural?. Don't mention about wordiness or something, I just want to find the grammar structure here.

If it is a virtual "idea", then the full clause is "the economy is not as weak as the idea, which was previously thought by analysts". The sentence is now very awkward.

2. The expert said we need to include "was" to the sentence to make it a correct passive form (as was previously thought by analyst). I disagree because it's unnecessary to have "was" in the sentence. Am I wrong?
CR Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 15266 [5]
Given Kudos: 26
Schools:
GMAT 1: 780 Q50 V47
WE:Corporate Finance (Pharmaceuticals and Biotech)
Send PM
Kudos