GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 20 Jun 2018, 17:50

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

A system-wide county school anti-smoki

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

1 KUDOS received
Director
Director
Concentration: Finance, Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 580 Q46 V24
GPA: 3.88
WE: Information Technology (Consulting)
GMAT ToolKit User
A system-wide county school anti-smoki [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 27 May 2015, 09:48
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

75% (hard)

Question Stats:

48% (01:11) correct 52% (01:08) wrong based on 518 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

A system-wide county school anti-smoking education program was instituted last year. The program was clearly a success. Last year, the incidence of students smoking on school premises decreased by over 70 percent.

Which of the following, if true, would most seriously weaken the argument in the passage?

(A) The author of this statement is a school system official hoping to generate good publicity for the anti-smoking program.
(B) Most students who smoke stopped smoking on school premises last year continued to smoke when away from school.
(C) Last year, another policy change made it much easier for students to leave and return to school grounds during the school day.
(D) The school system spent more on anti-smoking education programs last year than it did in all previous years.
(E) The amount of time students spent in anti-smoking education programs last year resulted in a reduction of in-class hours devoted to academic subjects.

When you’re up, your friends know who you are. When you’re down, you know who your friends are.

Share some Kudos, if my posts help you. Thank you !

800Score ONLY QUANT CAT1 51, CAT2 50, CAT3 50
GMAT PREP 670
MGMAT CAT 630
KAPLAN CAT 660

Director
Director
Concentration: Finance, Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 580 Q46 V24
GPA: 3.88
WE: Information Technology (Consulting)
GMAT ToolKit User

Show Tags

New post 27 May 2015, 09:53
You won't like the OA ))).... I've picked b here, but was wrong.. have a nice try

When you’re up, your friends know who you are. When you’re down, you know who your friends are.

Share some Kudos, if my posts help you. Thank you !

800Score ONLY QUANT CAT1 51, CAT2 50, CAT3 50
GMAT PREP 670
MGMAT CAT 630
KAPLAN CAT 660

6 KUDOS received
Current Student
Concentration: Finance, Accounting
GMAT 1: 720 Q47 V41
GPA: 3.52
WE: Operations (Non-Profit and Government)

Show Tags

New post 27 May 2015, 10:59
A system-wide county school anti-smoking education program was instituted last year. The program was clearly a success. Last year, the incidence of students smoking on school premises decreased by over 70 percent.

Which of the following, if true, would most seriously weaken the argument in the passage?

(A) The author of this statement is a school system official hoping to generate good publicity for the anti-smoking program.
Incorrect - this does not necessarily mean that the official falsified data.

(B) Most students who smoke stopped smoking on school premises last year continued to smoke when away from school.
Incorrect - this statement is a bit neutral. It neither strengthens the argument nor necessarily weakens it. Furthermore, if the ultimate goal of the program was to decrease on school incidences, then it was still a success.

(C) Last year, another policy change made it much easier for students to leave and return to school grounds during the school day.
Correct - We needed something that indicated another motivation outside of the program. This fulfills that necessity and weakens the argument. If we can positively associate the decrease in on-school incidences to another policy, then this weakens the argument made.

(D) The school system spent more on anti-smoking education programs last year than it did in all previous years.
Incorrect - This ultimately holds zero weight in the success of the program. If anything this helps the argument.

(E) The amount of time students spent in anti-smoking education programs last year resulted in a reduction of in-class hours devoted to academic subjects.
Incorrect - Can it still be stated that the program was worth it despite the decrease in class time? Yes. This is an example of an answer choice that gets you to unintentionally bring in real world experience/desire.

Kudos if my analysis was helpful! 8-)

~ GMAT 1 August 8th, 2015: 650 - Q42 - V37 - AWA 6 - IR 4
~ GMAT 2 September 4th, 2015: 720 - Q47 - V41 - AWA 5.5 - IR 5

1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
Concentration: Strategy, Technology
GMAT ToolKit User
Re: A system-wide county school anti-smoki [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 27 May 2015, 19:29
I think C weakens the most as compared to other choices. Choice C states that another policy made it easier for students to come back to ground, etc-> and hence this probably made students(who smoke often) adhere more to the anti smoking campaign.....
Current Student

Show Tags

New post 01 Jun 2015, 01:46
BrainLab wrote:

Straight C!
I think this ques belongs to the early 600 difficulty category and not the early 700s !
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Concentration: Operations, Strategy
GMAT 1: 750 Q50 V41

Show Tags

New post 01 Jun 2015, 02:24
C
Conclusion - Last year, the incidence of students smoking on school premises decreased by over 70 percent.

B - states that students continued to smoke outside school but stopped smoking on school premises - this may well mean reduced amount of smoking as there smoking duration is cut
C - If they are allowed to go outside and smoke and come back again that means smoking is not reduced

Apoorv

I realize that i cannot change the world....But i can play a part :)

Manager
Manager

Show Tags

New post 14 Jun 2015, 04:51
apoorv601:
Your explanation contradicts.
For option choice C also,like b, students don't smoke in school premises, they still go outside for smoking.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Concentration: General Management, Economics
GMAT 1: 640 Q44 V33
WE: Sales (Telecommunications)

Show Tags

New post 26 Jun 2015, 02:13
apoorv601 wrote:
C
Conclusion - Last year, the incidence of students smoking on school premises decreased by over 70 percent.

B - states that students continued to smoke outside school but stopped smoking on school premises - this may well mean reduced amount of smoking as there smoking duration is cut
C - If they are allowed to go outside and smoke and come back again that means smoking is not reduced

Good point apoorv601!
I didn't think about this. Smoking outside school could mean smoking fewer sigaretes=)). Cool idea! B is sure trap. I picked C since i suspected that outside school is still a school premises=))

"Are you gangsters?" - "No we are Russians!"

2 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern
GMAT 1: 600 Q42 V32
GMAT 2: 710 Q48 V38
GPA: 3.7
Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 06 Jul 2015, 19:17
BrainLab wrote:

Here is how I did it.

Cause: anti-smoking education program
Effect: decrease in incidence of students smoking on school premise

Assumption: 1. Only the Anti-smoking education program decreased the incidence of smoking in the school premise ( There is no other cause for the decrease )
Goal: Attack the assumption

A. Out of Scope
B. This shows a another effect of the Anti-smoking education program ( They smoked somewhere else )
C. Yep! Perfectly attacking the assumption. Another policy (Not anti-smoking program) lead to the decrease in incidence.
D.Cost??? Way out of scope
E. Time??? Nope

Hope it helps :)
Expert Post
SVP
SVP
B

Show Tags

New post 07 Jul 2015, 02:47

(A) The author of this statement is a school system official hoping to generate good publicity for the anti-smoking program.Even if this were true, it doesn't affect the argument.
(B) Most students who smoke stopped smoking on school premises last year continued to smoke when away from school. The smoking or not smoking outside of school is out of scope because we are concerned with smoking at school.
(C) Last year, another policy change made it much easier for students to leave and return to school grounds during the school day.This would suggest that students are still smoking at school, but where they cannot be detected.
(D) The school system spent more on anti-smoking education programs last year than it did in all previous years.How much was spent is not relevant to the argument.
(E) The amount of time students spent in anti-smoking education programs last year resulted in a reduction of in-class hours devoted to academic subjects.How much time students spent in the programs and the result of that is out of scope.
Expert Post
Verbal Expert
G
Schools: HHL Leipzig
GMAT 1: 780 Q50 V47
WE: Corporate Finance (Pharmaceuticals and Biotech)
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 18 Dec 2016, 00:21
This is a typical weakening structure:
Given: X and Y are observed to happen together.
Conclusion: X causes Y.
Weakening statement: Something else, Z causes Y.

Here X= anti-smoking program
Y= reduction in smoking
Z = easier return to school grounds

The conclusion is: X causes Y ( anti-smoking program caused reduction in smoking).
The weakening statement is: something else, Z causes Y ( easier return to school ground caused reduction in smoking).
Manager
Manager
S
GMAT 1: 670 Q50 V30
WE: Engineering (Computer Software)

Show Tags

New post 29 Dec 2016, 11:39
Isn't B and C trying to say the same thing. B says that student reduces on premise smoking but continued to smoke away from it. C says that a policy made it easier for students to leave school, go smoke and come back. But since B is more clear I selected it. Where is my understanding wrong ?
Manager
Manager
S
GMAT 1: 670 Q50 V30
WE: Engineering (Computer Software)

Show Tags

New post 29 Dec 2016, 11:55
Isn't B and C trying to say the same thing. B says that student reduces on premise smoking but continued to smoke away from it. C says that a policy made it easier for students to leave school, go smoke and come back. But since B is more clear I selected it. Where is my understanding wrong ?
Expert Post
Manhattan Prep Instructor
S

Show Tags

New post 30 Dec 2016, 02:01
ankujgupta, the idea is that we want to weaken the implied causal argument by showing some other possible cause for the reduction in smoking. C shows that students may simply be smoking less on campus because it's easier to get away. Perhaps the new program had no effect at all! B tells us that students who seemed to change their habits may not have cut down on their overall smoking, so we can read it as underlying the author's premise. However, it does nothing to help us understand why students have cut down on on-campus smoking, if the new program was not the cause.

So, I can see why C is the OA, but it's pretty hard to say that B doesn't weaken at all. I'm not sure we'd see a split like that on the GMAT--the wrong answers should be definitively wrong! However, if someone has an official example like this, I'd love to see it.

Dmitry Farber | Manhattan GMAT Instructor | New York

Manhattan GMAT Discount | Manhattan GMAT Course Reviews | View Instructor Profile |
Manhattan GMAT Reviews

Manager
Manager
B

Show Tags

New post 20 Jan 2018, 18:27

Took time to decide between B & C. Avoided B because it says students reduced overall smoking and this supports the conclusion that the program is clearly a success - before the program they used to smoke both at school and when away, after the program they do only when away.

Just restarted my GMAT life. KUDOs please :-)
A system-wide county school anti-smoki   [#permalink] 20 Jan 2018, 18:27

A system-wide county school anti-smoki

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap