Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 03:49 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 03:49

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Kudos
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 3671 [15]
Given Kudos: 8
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 1187 [11]
Given Kudos: 23
Concentration: Strategy, General Management
Schools: Olin - Wash U - Class of 2015
WE:Information Technology (Computer Software)
Send PM
General Discussion
Math Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 618901 [2]
Given Kudos: 81595
Send PM
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 1821 [1]
Given Kudos: 11
Concentration: Marketing, Finance
GPA: 3.23
Send PM
Re: A team of 6 cooks is chosen from 8 men and 5 women. The team [#permalink]
Bookmarks
gmatpill wrote:
A team of 6 cooks is chosen from 8 men and 5 women. The team must have at least 2 men and at least 3 women. How many ways can this team be created?

A) 140
B) 320
C) 560
D) 700
E) 840

M M W W W M/W

This means we could have either combinations:
(1) 2MEN 4WOMEN
(2) 3MEN 3WOMEN

We will add the total number of both possibilities:
8!/6!2! * 5!/4!1! + 8!/3!5! * 5!/3!2! = 140 + 560 = 700

Answer: D
MBA Section Director
Affiliations: GMAT Club
Own Kudos [?]: 10011 [1]
Given Kudos: 4542
Test: Test
Send PM
Bookmarks
Expert Reply
AccipiterQ wrote:
Hi,

I have the GMAT coming up on November 7th. I'm starting to panic because I get almost every PS problem that involves probabilities & selection wrong.

By selection I mean problems like this:

A team of 6 cooks is chosen from 8 men and 5 women. The team must have at least 2 men and at least 3 women. How many ways can this team be created?

A) 140
B) 320
C) 560
D) 700
E) 840

It's not that I don't get the formulas, I do. I just have no idea when to apply which formula. Or how you guys/ladies are looking at a problem and thinking "oh if I break this problem down into simpler terms, I can use formula ABC to solve it". It's exceedingly frustrating, because I'm getting about 90% of the problems incorrect. I just don't know what to do. I'm usually pretty good at math, I took the GRE about 7 years ago and was around 760 on the math section, but the GMAT questions just seem so different.

Question is not so difficult. Only thing matters is how do we simplify the information.

We know the team must have AT-LEAST 2 men and AT-LEAST 3 women. So the possible combinations are 2(M) and 4(W) or 3(M) and 3(W)

Case I :- 2 Men and 4 Women -------> selection of 2 men from 8 men AND selection of 4 women from 5 women ------> 8 C 2 * 5 C 4 -------> 28*5 -----> 140 teams

Case II :- 3 Men and 3 Women -------> selection of 3 men from 8 men AND selection of 3 women from 5 women ------> 8 C 3 * 5 C 3 -------> 56*10 -----> 560 teams

Total Number of teams = 140 + 560 = 700 ---------> Choice D

Hope that Helps! :)

PS :- For reference check my Permutations and Combinations article listed in my signature.
MBA Section Director
Affiliations: GMAT Club
Own Kudos [?]: 10011 [1]
Given Kudos: 4542
Test: Test
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
AccipiterQ wrote:
Thanks for the reply; it's actually a question posted here elsewhere, I just was using it as a sample of the type of problem. The issue I have is that I have no idea how to apply these formulae or when to apply them.

Ok. Refer the Article 'Permutations and Combinations' listed in my Signature below. I am sure it will help you understand when to apply which formula.

Thanks

Narenn
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 370 [0]
Given Kudos: 134
Send PM
Could someone point out where my thought process is faltering.

I did
\(8C2 * 5C3 * 8C1\)

8C1 - after choosing 2 men and and 3 women it doesn't matter who you pick from the remaining 8, so \(8C1\)

Await valued response.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 370 [0]
Given Kudos: 134
Send PM
Bunuel wrote:
eaakbari wrote:
Could someone point out where my thought process is faltering.

I did
\(8C2 * 5C3 * 8C1\)

8C1 - after choosing 2 men and and 3 women it doesn't matter who you pick from the remaining 8, so \(8C1\)

Await valued response.

This way you are counting some teams more than once.

Consider that you get A and B (men) from 8C2, X, Y, Z (women) from 5C3 and C (man) from 8C1, so your group is {A, B, C, X, Y, Z}.

But if you get A and C (men) from 8C2, X, Y, Z (women) from 5C3 and B (man) from 8C1, your group will still be {A, B, C, X, Y, Z}.

Hope it's clear.

Ahhh, yes. I do understand now.

Thanks, Bunuel, for the wonderful explanation.
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 4054 [0]
Given Kudos: 156
Send PM
OA: D-700.

GMATPill/Bunuel,
Is it really a 700+ level Q ? It's pretty easy guys...!

In that case combinations going to be an easy topic in GMAT.. :)
Math Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 618901 [0]
Given Kudos: 81595
Send PM
Expert Reply
debayan222 wrote:

GMATPill/Bunuel,

GMAT combination/probability questions are fairly straightforward, so you won't see much harder questions on these topics on the exam.
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 4054 [0]
Given Kudos: 156
Send PM
Bunuel wrote:
debayan222 wrote:

GMATPill/Bunuel,

GMAT combination/probability questions are fairly straightforward, so you won't see much harder questions on these topics on the exam.

Great to know that Bunuel...! :)
Well, in that case Qs. in your signature and those in the GMAT Club tests (obviously apart from OG Qs.) would be suffice for 700+ in GMAT I think as far as combination/probability questions are concerned...!

Appreciate your thoughts on this...
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 216 [0]
Given Kudos: 28
Send PM
A team of 6 cooks is chosen from 8 Men and 5 Women. The team must have at least 2 men and at least 3 woen. How many ways can we form this team?

A) 140
B) 320
C) 560
D) 700
E) 840

Solution: We have two possibilities 2M 4F or 3M 3F
(8C2)(5C3)+(8C3)(5C3)=700

I am trying another method but I am not getting it correctly. So for The first scenario 1) 3M 4F
MMFFFF
We can use a permutation approach. For the first man we have 8 choices. Second man 7. Likewise for the females. 5 for the first....2 for the last. We get
(8*7)*(5*4*3*2)
Now here is what is confusing me. Since I have MMFFFF and order doesn't matter the number of ways to arrange 3M's & 4F's is 6!/(2!*4!). I know I have to divide by 2! and 4! because we have duplicates and order doesn't matter but what about the 6!??? Should we include or exclude it? The answer has it excluded, but why?? I feel without the 6! we don't take into account MFFFMF or FFMFMF.... etc. What am I doing wrong?
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
(8C2)(5C3)+(8C3)(5C3)=28*10 + 56*10 = 280 + 560 = 840 --> E

are you sure its D? Please explain
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 1519 [0]
Given Kudos: 20
Send PM
Expert Reply
alphabeta1234 wrote:
A team of 6 cooks is chosen from 8 Men and 5 Women. The team must have at least 2 men and at least 3 woen. How many ways can we form this team?

A) 140
B) 320
C) 560
D) 700
E) 840

Solution: We have two possibilities 2M 4F or 3M 3F
(8C2)(5C3)+(8C3)(5C3)=700

I am trying another method but I am not getting it correctly. So for The first scenario 1) 3M 4F
MMFFFF
We can use a permutation approach. For the first man we have 8 choices. Second man 7. Likewise for the females. 5 for the first....2 for the last. We get
(8*7)*(5*4*3*2)
Now here is what is confusing me. Since I have MMFFFF and order doesn't matter the number of ways to arrange 3M's & 4F's is 6!/(2!*4!). I know I have to divide by 2! and 4! because we have duplicates and order doesn't matter but what about the 6!??? Should we include or exclude it? The answer has it excluded, but why?? I feel without the 6! we don't take into account MFFFMF or FFMFMF.... etc. What am I doing wrong?

Hi,

You are only finding the different combinations and not concerned about the ordering of the combinations. Suppose the females are f1, f2, f3 , f4 and f5, including f1 and f2 means you do not have to consider f1, f2 and f2, f1 as separate. You do it only once. Hence you have to use the combination formula.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 598 [0]
Given Kudos: 40
Concentration: Finance, Economics
GMAT 1: 670 Q39 V41
GMAT 2: 730 Q49 V41
Send PM
Hi,

I have the GMAT coming up on November 7th. I'm starting to panic because I get almost every PS problem that involves probabilities & selection wrong.

A) 140
B) 320
C) 560
D) 700
E) 840

It's not that I don't get the formulas, I do. I just have no idea when to apply which formula. Or how you guys/ladies are looking at a problem and thinking "oh if I break this problem down into simpler terms, I can use formula ABC to solve it". It's exceedingly frustrating, because I'm getting about 90% of the problems incorrect. I just don't know what to do. I'm usually pretty good at math, I took the GRE about 7 years ago and was around 760 on the math section, but the GMAT questions just seem so different.

Originally posted by AccipiterQ on 01 Oct 2013, 12:52.
Last edited by Narenn on 01 Oct 2013, 21:24, edited 2 times in total.
Topic Moved. Always post the topic in relevant forum
Manager
Manager
Send PM
Narenn wrote:
AccipiterQ wrote:
Hi,

A) 140
B) 320
C) 560
D) 700
E) 840

Question is not so difficult. Only thing matters is how do we simplify the information.

We know the team must have AT-LEAST 2 men and AT-LEAST 3 women. So the possible combinations are 2(M) and 4(W) or 3(M) and 3(W)

Case I :- 2 Men and 4 Women -------> selection of 2 men from 8 men AND selection of 4 women from 5 women ------> 8 C 2 * 5 C 4 -------> 28*5 -----> 140 teams

Case II :- 3 Men and 3 Women -------> selection of 3 men from 8 men AND selection of 3 women from 5 women ------> 8 C 3 * 5 C 3 -------> 56*10 -----> 560 teams

Total Number of teams = 140 + 560 = 700 ---------> Choice D

Hope that Helps! :)

Thanks for the reply; it's actually a question posted here elsewhere, I just was using it as a sample of the type of problem. The issue I have is that I have no idea how to apply these formulae or when to apply them.
Manager
Manager
Send PM
Narenn wrote:
AccipiterQ wrote:

Ok. Refer the Article 'Permutations and Combinations' listed in my Signature below. I am sure it will help you understand when to apply which formula.

Thanks

Narenn

I just downloaded several of your PDFs, looks like I have some more study material! Thanks!
Non-Human User
Own Kudos [?]: 821 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Hello from the GMAT Club BumpBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
GMAT Club Bot
Moderators:
Math Expert
92912 posts
Senior Moderator - Masters Forum
3137 posts