Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 06:42 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 06:42

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 391 [39]
Given Kudos: 4
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
Math Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 618940 [38]
Given Kudos: 81595
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 10 [10]
Given Kudos: 3
Send PM
General Discussion
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 71 [0]
Given Kudos: 8
Concentration: Social Media / Marketing
Schools:Dalhousie School of Business (Corporate Residency MBA)
 Q47  V42
GPA: 3.7
Send PM
Re: 700+ question [#permalink]
(1) Definitely isn't enough, because you can tweak the denominator any way you like to arrive at fraction that simplifies down to say, 2/3 (0.66666...)
(2) Is the same thing.

At first glance this question seems really too easy. You need to know what's going on with both x and y in order be able to answer it.

C) jumps out immediately. It's obvious that if you know even the ranges of both x and y you could test each combo out and eventually arrive at an answer so clearly taken together they are sufficient.

It's just a matter of seeing if A, B or D is feasible. I don't think they are for the reasons I gave above. If I only know either the nominator or denominator, I can find a match somewhere down the line that allows to make it so the simplified result ends up to be 2/3 (recurring decimal) or 1/1 (obviously a terminating one).

So: C
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 391 [1]
Given Kudos: 4
Send PM
Kudos
dalmba wrote:
(1) Definitely isn't enough, because you can tweak the denominator any way you like to arrive at fraction that simplifies down to say, 2/3 (0.66666...)
(2) Is the same thing.

At first glance this question seems really too easy. You need to know what's going on with both x and y in order be able to answer it.

C) jumps out immediately. It's obvious that if you know even the ranges of both x and y you could test each combo out and eventually arrive at an answer so clearly taken together they are sufficient.

It's just a matter of seeing if A, B or D is feasible. I don't think they are for the reasons I gave above. If I only know either the nominator or denominator, I can find a match somewhere down the line that allows to make it so the simplified result ends up to be 2/3 (recurring decimal) or 1/1 (obviously a terminating one).

So: C

OA is B

Statement (2): Any number divided by 8 results in a terminating decimal. This is because when a number is divided by 2, the only possible remainders are or 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, and 7 (actually 1/8, 2/8, etc.). These remainders are expressed as .125, .25, .375, .5, .625, .75, and .875, respectively. Therefore x/y is a terminating decimal; SUFFICIENT.

I did not understand this...

could u please help me
Manager
Manager
 Q47  V42
Send PM
Haha, this is why I'm bad at DS.

You're supposed to intuitively know that anything ever divided by 8 will result in a terminal decimal.

I messed up in assuming I had control over the denominator (when I said (2) is the same logic as why (1) doesn't work), when it clearly said it was 8 and nothing else.

It's funny, the last DS question I answered here I got right but made a big deal about feeling reluctant to toss out B. I was right to be feeling that way, but just not for the correct question. *sigh* :roll:
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 2129 [0]
Given Kudos: 622
GPA: 3.77
Send PM
shekar123 wrote:
A terminating decimal is defined as a decimal that has a finite number of nonzero digits. Examples of terminating decimals are 0.24, 52, and 6.0314. x and y are positive integers. If x/y is expressed as a decimal, is it a terminating decimal?

(1) 40 < x < 45

(2) y = 8

B.

any positive integer number divided by 8 gives terminate decimal equal to 5.
1) is very alluring, cause we read 1) and then 2), having in mind "I dont know x, so I cant find out what is the decimal point, thus I need to know the range of numbers for X"
Thus c is wrong.
Manager
Manager
 Q47  V42
Send PM
Bunuel wrote:
For example \(\frac{x}{2^n5^m}\), (where x, n and m are integers) will always be terminating decimal.

That is sweet. A nifty little tool that's not too horrible to remember.

Also, in order to preserve some sort of semblance of competency in this realm I will quite proudly point out that there was a typo in your post here:

Bunuel wrote:
as \(250\) (denominator) equals to \(2*5^2\).

As it should read - "\(250\) (denominator) equals to \(2*5^3\)" :wink:
Manager
Manager
Affiliations: SPG
Own Kudos [?]: 3137 [0]
Given Kudos: 34
Send PM
Re: 600 + question [#permalink]
shekar123 wrote:
A terminating decimal is defined as a decimal that has a finite number of nonzero digits. Examples of terminating decimals are 0.24, 52, and 6.0314. x and y are positive integers. If x/y is expressed as a decimal, is it a terminating decimal?

(1) 40 < x < 45

(2) y = 8

1) we don't know anything about y, so Insufficient

2) when you divide anything by 8 the answer will be either an integer, a fraction of a multiple of 0.125. For example 201/8 = 25.125 and 203/8 = 25.375

So in any case, this will always lead to a terminating decimal. Sufficient

My Answer: B
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 125 [1]
Given Kudos: 231
Send PM
Re: A terminating decimal is defined as a decimal that has a [#permalink]
Kudos
In statement 1 x can be 41,42,43 or 44. insufficient as we don't have value of y

In statement 2, clearly y is given as 8 which is the denominator of the fraction x/y. we know that any number which has denominator as 8 will be a terminating decimal

so correct answer - B
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 384 [0]
Given Kudos: 83
Concentration: Finance, General Management
GMAT 1: 700 Q49 V35 (Online)
GPA: 3.42
Send PM
Hi Bunuel

My question is can we consider an integer as a terminating decimal?

Ex: for statement 2,

if y = 8 and x is a multiple of 8 such as 8 , 16, 24 etc., we get x/y as an integer rather than a decimal.

So, if an integer cannot be considered a terminating decimal, then C would be the correct answer as option C excludes this possibility.

Can you please clarify?
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 46 [0]
Given Kudos: 55
Concentration: Operations, Economics
Schools: Booth '26
Send PM
Bunuel wrote:
Theory:
Reduced fraction \(\frac{a}{b}\) (meaning that fraction is already reduced to its lowest term) can be expressed as terminating decimal if and only \(b\) (denominator) is of the form \(2^n5^m\), where \(m\) and \(n\) are non-negative integers. For example: \(\frac{7}{250}\) is a terminating decimal \(0.028\), as \(250\) (denominator) equals to \(2*5^3\). Fraction \(\frac{3}{30}\) is also a terminating decimal, as \(\frac{3}{30}=\frac{1}{10}\) and denominator \(10=2*5\).

Note that if denominator already has only 2-s and/or 5-s then it doesn't matter whether the fraction is reduced or not.

For example \(\frac{x}{2^n5^m}\), (where x, n and m are integers) will always be terminating decimal.

(We need reducing in case when we have the prime in denominator other then 2 or 5 to see whether it could be reduced. For example fraction \(\frac{6}{15}\) has 3 as prime in denominator and we need to know if it can be reduced.)

In original question statement (2) says that denominator equals to 2^3=8, hence x/8 will be terminating decimal no matter what the value of x is.

Do we consider an integer a terminating decimal too???
Math Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 618940 [1]
Given Kudos: 81595
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
Stanindaw wrote:
Bunuel wrote:
Theory:
Reduced fraction \(\frac{a}{b}\) (meaning that fraction is already reduced to its lowest term) can be expressed as terminating decimal if and only \(b\) (denominator) is of the form \(2^n5^m\), where \(m\) and \(n\) are non-negative integers. For example: \(\frac{7}{250}\) is a terminating decimal \(0.028\), as \(250\) (denominator) equals to \(2*5^3\). Fraction \(\frac{3}{30}\) is also a terminating decimal, as \(\frac{3}{30}=\frac{1}{10}\) and denominator \(10=2*5\).

Note that if denominator already has only 2-s and/or 5-s then it doesn't matter whether the fraction is reduced or not.

(We need reducing in case when we have the prime in denominator other then 2 or 5 to see whether it could be reduced. For example fraction \(\frac{6}{15}\) has 3 as prime in denominator and we need to know if it can be reduced.)

In original question statement (2) says that denominator equals to 2^3=8, hence x/8 will be terminating decimal no matter what the value of x is.

Yes because every integer has finite number of nonzero digits.
Target Test Prep Representative
Affiliations: Target Test Prep
Own Kudos [?]: 22051 [0]
Given Kudos: 283
Send PM
Expert Reply
shekar123 wrote:

(1) 40 < x < 45

(2) y = 8

Question Stem Analysis:

We need to determine whether x/y is a terminating decimal, where x and y are positive integers. Recall that the decimal equivalent of a fraction is a terminating decimal only if the denominator of the most reduced form of the fraction contains only prime factors of 2 and 5.

Statement One Alone:

\(\Rightarrow\) 40 < x < 45

Without any information about y, we cannot determine whether x/y terminates. If x = 41 and y = 3, then x/y does not terminate. On the other hand, if x = 41 and y = 10, then x/y = 4.1 is a terminating decimal. Since there are more than one possible answers, statement one alone is not sufficient.

Eliminate answer choices A and D.

Statement Two Alone:

\(\Rightarrow\) y = 8

If y = 8, then regardless of the value of x, the denominator of the most reduced form of x/y = x/8 cannot contain any prime factors other than 2. This means that x/y is a terminating decimal. Statement two alone is sufficient.

Answer: B
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 46 [0]
Given Kudos: 55
Concentration: Operations, Economics
Schools: Booth '26
Send PM
Bunuel wrote:
Stanindaw wrote:
Bunuel wrote:
Theory:

Yes because every integer has finite number of nonzero digits.

Thanks for such a quick reply!

Posted from my mobile device
Non-Human User
Own Kudos [?]: 821 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Hello from the GMAT Club BumpBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
GMAT Club Bot
Moderator:
Math Expert
92912 posts