GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 19 Oct 2019, 11:26

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Temperature shifts can trend toward warming or cooling, based on a num

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Find Similar Topics 
Manager
Manager
G
GMAT 1: 690 Q49 V35
GMAT ToolKit User Reviews Badge
Temperature shifts can trend toward warming or cooling, based on a num  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post Updated on: 31 May 2017, 03:52
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

85% (hard)

Question Stats:

52% (02:22) correct 48% (02:17) wrong based on 202 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

Temperature shifts can trend toward warming or cooling, based on a number of gravitational, seasonal, and human variables. These variables affect different ecosystems differently and thus should produce a random pattern in which some ecosystems warm while others cool. However, data gathered in a 1980s study shows that the shifts occur in a definitely skewed pattern, with most areas’ temperatures rising simultaneously.

Which of the following, if true, forms the best basis for at least a partial explanation for the patterned changes recorded in the study?

A Massive warming can result from widespread pollution in many countries.

B Certain regions with specific geographical features respond in varying degrees to surrounding changes.

C Some regions grow warmer due to increased volcanic activity in those regions.

D In the 1990s and beyond, which were not as well documented, human pollution skewed the trend toward warming.

E Regions that are geographically closest are most likely to be affected in similar ways.

we shall fight in the hills;
we shall never surrender!

Originally posted by bkpolymers1617 on 31 May 2017, 03:43.
Last edited by carcass on 31 May 2017, 03:52, edited 1 time in total.
Edited the question and added the OA
Board of Directors
D
Temperature shifts can trend toward warming or cooling, based on a num  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 31 May 2017, 03:56
Top Contributor
Manager
Manager
G
GMAT 1: 690 Q49 V35
GMAT ToolKit User Reviews Badge
Re: Temperature shifts can trend toward warming or cooling, based on a num  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 31 May 2017, 04:23
Hey Carcass- thanks for the response. Can you please throw some light on why e is not right. I think it is quite natural to assume this relationship- that the regions being discussed are the close ones. Is A the right answer specifically because it addresses the heat issue, and relates directly with the stem. Thanks
we shall fight in the hills;
we shall never surrender!
Board of Directors
D
Re: Temperature shifts can trend toward warming or cooling, based on a num  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 31 May 2017, 06:30
Top Contributor
Because in E you do have "most likely" but you lack data to address this claim.

Moreover, the stem says "simultaneously". A fits the bill with "widespread" -----> at the same time (simultaneously), as it turns out.

Hope this helps.

Regards
P
Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 31 May 2017, 11:28
I think option E definitely appears to be correct but in actual is not.
The difference b\w A and E lies in the below line in the argument:-
".. with most areas’ temperatures rising simultaneously.. "

Option A just sticks with the rise in temperature. However, option E could go either for rise or fall.
Hence A is more appropriate for the case.
B
GMAT 1: 690 Q47 V38
GMAT 2: 720 Q48 V41
GPA: 3.5

Show Tags

New post 31 May 2017, 11:43
bkpolymers1617 wrote:
Hey Carcass- thanks for the response. Can you please throw some light on why e is not right. I think it is quite natural to assume this relationship- that the regions being discussed are the close ones. Is A the right answer specifically because it addresses the heat issue, and relates directly with the stem. Thanks

You are correct, A is right because the stem mentions "gravitational, seasonal, and human variables" and pollution is a human variable.

Though E sounds logically correct, it is just a "real-world" distraction. There's nothing in the passage that talks about the geography or location being a factor.
Non-Human User

Show Tags

New post 19 Dec 2018, 14:56
Hello from the GMAT Club VerbalBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
Re: Temperature shifts can trend toward warming or cooling, based on a num   [#permalink] 19 Dec 2018, 14:56

Temperature shifts can trend toward warming or cooling, based on a num

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics