GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 20 Aug 2018, 02:13

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

A toughie; one for you narangvaibhav Although considerable

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Retired Moderator
D
Status: worked for Kaplan's associates, but now on my own, free and flying
WE: Education (Education)
A toughie; one for you narangvaibhav Although considerable  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 15 Jun 2012, 21:22
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

(N/A)

Question Stats:

82% (01:24) correct 18% (01:29) wrong based on 98 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

A toughie; one for you narangvaibhav

Although considerable advances have been made in the area of health-care services, such as better access to health care, and increase in the numbers of physicians and other health personnel, still there is mounting criticism that large gaps in access, unbridled cost inflation, and excessive indulgence in wasteful high-technology “gadgeteering,” does remain.

A Although considerable advances have been made in the area of health-care services, such as better access to health care, and increase in the numbers of physicians and other health personnel, still there is mounting criticism that large gaps in access, unbridled cost inflation, and excessive indulgence in wasteful high-technology “gadgeteering,” does remain.

B Although considerable advances have been made in the area of health-care services such as better access to health care, and increase in the numbers of physicians and other health personnel, still a mounting criticism that large gaps in access, unbridled cost inflation, and excessive indulgence in wasteful high-technology “gadgeteering,” does remain.

C Although considerable advances have been made in the area of such health-care services as better access to health care, and increase in the numbers of physicians and other health personnel, still mounting criticisms that large gaps in access, unbridled cost inflation, and excessive indulgence in wasteful high-technology “gadgeteering,” do remain.

D.. Although considerable advances have been made in the area of such health-care services as better access to health care, and increase in the numbers of physicians and other health personnel, still there is mounting criticism that large gaps in access, unbridled cost inflation, and excessive indulgence in wasteful high-technology “gadgeteering,” does remain

E. Although considerable advances have been made in the area of health-care services, such as better access to health care, and increase in the numbers of physicians and other health personnel, still there is mounting criticism that large gaps in access, unbridled cost inflation, and excessive indulgence in wasteful high-technology “gadgeteering”, do remain

(The original text from an RC passage is longer and convoluted but error free. I have edited and shortened the sentence to suit GMAT practice)

you can know a lot about something and not really understand it."-- a quote
No one knows this better than a GMAT student does.
Narendran +9198845 44509

Intern
Intern
WE: Project Management (Computer Software)
Re: Although considerable advances  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 15 Jun 2012, 23:32
Only C and E use 'do remain' to match with 'large gaps'.

Further, C's ' still mounting criticisms that' leaves the sentence incomplete.

Answer E's 'still there is mounting criticism that' makes the sentence complete.
Intern
Intern
GMAT Date: 08-30-2012

Show Tags

New post 15 Jun 2012, 23:42
IMO :E
DUE TO SAME REASON AS DISCUSSED ABOVE

KUMAR GAURAB
GET MAD ABOUT TEST

Manager
Manager
GC Meter: A.W.E.S.O.M.E
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, General Management
GMAT 1: 620 Q46 V30
GMAT 2: 720 Q50 V38
Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 16 Jun 2012, 00:03
Marked B first thinking does points to criticism. But seems like E as clearly do points to large "gaps"

You haven't failed, if you haven't given up!
---
bschooladmit
Visit my Blog www.bschooladmit.wordpress.com

Check out my other posts:
Bschool Deadlines 2013-2014 | Bschool Admission Events 2013 Start your GMAT Prep with Stacey Koprince | Get a head start in MBA finance

Retired Moderator
D

Show Tags

New post 16 Jun 2012, 01:23
Yes. E is indeed the correct choice. A small point but. The subject of the subordinate clause starting with that is a compound subject comprising gaps, inflation, and indulgence and hence a plural subject and not just because of gaps alone.

Narendran +9198845 44509

Intern
Intern
WE: Project Management (Computer Software)

Show Tags

New post 16 Jun 2012, 23:07
daagh wrote:
Yes. E is indeed the correct choice. A small point but. The subject of the subordinate clause starting with that is a compound subject comprising gaps, inflation, and indulgence and hence a plural subject and not just because of gaps alone.

Good catch! Thanks!!

I thought there were 3 large gaps listed - didn't read this clause properly.
Manager
Manager
GC Meter: A.W.E.S.O.M.E
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, General Management
GMAT 1: 620 Q46 V30
GMAT 2: 720 Q50 V38
Reviews Badge
Re: A toughie; one for you narangvaibhav Although considerable  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 05 Aug 2012, 02:48
Yup E indeed. I read the answer choices wrongly - while making splits :(

You haven't failed, if you haven't given up!
---
bschooladmit
Visit my Blog www.bschooladmit.wordpress.com

Check out my other posts:
Bschool Deadlines 2013-2014 | Bschool Admission Events 2013 Start your GMAT Prep with Stacey Koprince | Get a head start in MBA finance

SVP
SVP
Concentration: Finance
GMAT ToolKit User

Show Tags

New post 24 Nov 2013, 08:45
daagh wrote:

Although considerable advances have been made in the area of health-care services, such as better access to health care, and increase in the numbers of physicians and other health personnel, still there is mounting criticism that large gaps in access, unbridled cost inflation, and excessive indulgence in wasteful high-technology “gadgeteering,” does remain.

A Although considerable advances have been made in the area of health-care services, such as better access to health care, and increase in the numbers of physicians and other health personnel, still there is mounting criticism that large gaps in access, unbridled cost inflation, and excessive indulgence in wasteful high-technology “gadgeteering,” does remain.

B Although considerable advances have been made in the area of health-care services such as better access to health care, and increase in the numbers of physicians and other health personnel, still a mounting criticism that large gaps in access, unbridled cost inflation, and excessive indulgence in wasteful high-technology “gadgeteering,” does remain.

C Although considerable advances have been made in the area of such health-care services as better access to health care, and increase in the numbers of physicians and other health personnel, still mounting criticisms that large gaps in access, unbridled cost inflation, and excessive indulgence in wasteful high-technology “gadgeteering,” do remain.

D.. Although considerable advances have been made in the area of such health-care services as better access to health care, and increase in the numbers of physicians and other health personnel, still there is mounting criticism that large gaps in access, unbridled cost inflation, and excessive indulgence in wasteful high-technology “gadgeteering,” does remain

E. Although considerable advances have been made in the area of health-care services, such as better access to health care, and increase in the numbers of physicians and other health personnel, still there is mounting criticism that large gaps in access, unbridled cost inflation, and excessive indulgence in wasteful high-technology “gadgeteering”, do remain

(The original text from an RC passage is longer and convoluted but error free. I have edited and shortened the sentence to suit GMAT practice)

There's no underline in any portion?
Retired Moderator
D

Show Tags

New post 24 Nov 2013, 21:07
Thanks; since underlined; The entire passage is to be underlined. That could be easily seen from choice A

Narendran +9198845 44509

Manager
Manager
Concentration: Finance, General Management
Schools: EMLYON FT'16
GMAT 1: 650 Q47 V32
GPA: 3.44

Show Tags

New post 25 Nov 2013, 07:46
daagh wrote:

Answer E

A Although considerable advances have been made in the area of health-care services, such as better access to health care, and increase in the numbers of physicians and other health personnel, still there is mounting criticism that large gaps in access, unbridled cost inflation, and excessive indulgence in wasteful high-technology “gadgeteering,” does remain. - Does is wrong

B Although considerable advances have been made in the area of health-care services such as better access to health care, and increase in the numbers of physicians and other health personnel, still a mounting criticism that large gaps in access, unbridled cost inflation, and excessive indulgence in wasteful high-technology “gadgeteering,” does remain. - Does is wrong

C Although considerable advances have been made in the area of such health-care services as better access to health care, and increase in the numbers of physicians and other health personnel, still mounting criticisms that large gaps in access, unbridled cost inflation, and excessive indulgence in wasteful high-technology “gadgeteering,” do remain. - health-care services as better access to health care there is a wrong modifier here

D.. Although considerable advances have been made in the area of such health-care services as better access to health care, and increase in the numbers of physicians and other health personnel, still there is mounting criticism that large gaps in access, unbridled cost inflation, and excessive indulgence in wasteful high-technology “gadgeteering,” does remain - Does is wrong

E. Although considerable advances have been made in the area of health-care services, such as better access to health care, and increase in the numbers of physicians and other health personnel, still there is mounting criticism that large gaps in access, unbridled cost inflation, and excessive indulgence in wasteful high-technology “gadgeteering”, do remain - Correct

Think outside the box

Non-Human User
Premium Member

Show Tags

New post 13 May 2018, 02:40
Hello from the GMAT Club VerbalBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.

-
April 2018: New Forum dedicated to Verbal Strategies, Guides, and Resources

Re: A toughie; one for you narangvaibhav Although considerable &nbs [#permalink] 13 May 2018, 02:40

A toughie; one for you narangvaibhav Although considerable

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Events & Promotions

PREV
NEXT

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap