Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 06:42 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 06:42

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Kudos
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
SVP
SVP
Status:<strong>Nothing comes easy: neither do I want.</strong>
Own Kudos [?]: 3594 [1]
Given Kudos: 235
Concentration: Technology, Entrepreneurship
Schools: ISB '15 (M)
GMAT 1: 670 Q49 V31
GMAT 2: 710 Q50 V35
Send PM
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 3468 [1]
Given Kudos: 210
Concentration: General Management, Nonprofit
Send PM
Founder
Founder
Own Kudos [?]: 72879 [0]
Given Kudos: 18863
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3
Send PM
Re: How to overcome mental stress a day before real test? Urgent [#permalink]
Expert Reply
Best suggestion is relax. You can take a test 24 hours before your real test but I would not do any other practice/tests. The last few days are to get energy and stamina; it is too late to do everything else.

Everyone is stressed the day before and most have a hard time sleeping, so usually it is good to get into a good routine for waking up early and going early to bed to match your test taking schedule.

Best advice - go watch a movie (not too late) and enjoy the city a bit :)
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Re: How to overcome mental stress a day before real test? Urgent [#permalink]
Just taken another GMAT test, got 620 :(
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Re: A very disappointing GMAT score [#permalink]
Hi all,

Taken the real GMAT Test today, got 580 - a new low score among all the tests (inc practise test) that I have taken. Couldn't quite articulate my feelings now. My last GMAT score was 650, and I have spent 2 months studying very hard to try to gain that extra 50pts, for a while, my test scores (Veritas GMAT Life and MGMAT) did hit over the 700 barrier and subsequently dropped to 620 average for last 3 prep tests. I have no idea what the hell went wrong, and devastation is what fills me up at the moment. I am not sure if it was the stress or the numerous mock test that drained my mind.

I am starting to think if I should just take my 650 GMAT score and just apply for any school. Or should I consider a retake again, considering the tight schedule at work that I will be having. Anyone could give any advice would be most appreciated.

What the fuk went wrong.....?

(Just realised that I have posted my thread in the wrong category, moderator please help to move me to GMAT Experience.)
Intern
Intern
GPA: 4.0
Send PM
I think your official score sounds pretty good. Personally, what I did was just take the GMAT once, and without any preparation. I went in with the assumption and trust that if I took the test cold, the result would merely reflect my native ability - and I figured there's nothing wrong with that. After all, I didn't want to find myself stuck for years and year in a school where I would be in over my head.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 8 [0]
Given Kudos: 13
GMAT 2: 690  Q48  V38
GPA: 3.8
Send PM
Sounds like stress to me.
Also, did you have problems with time? When I took my first GMAT I had no idea of time management and spent 10+ minutes on one of the questions at the beginning of quant, and the last 10-15 questions just guessed rapidly. I was also pretty stressed by the people in the Paris exam centre who did not want to accept my Spanish document and let me wait quite a bit, while they were calling the GMAC
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Given Kudos: 2
Concentration: Interested in: General Management, Strategy
Schools:Various
Send PM
I'm going through the exact same thing that you just went through. I'm supposed to sit Saturday, but I'm going to back-out - I'm not ready.

Might I suggest some motivational music? This is dumb/funny, but true - R Kelly is a motivational genius...I've started to believe that I can fly and that I'm the world's greatest...however, I am well aware that I can't come close to finishing the verbal section in the allotted time.

Keep your head-up; keep believing - you'll get what you want; in fact, that's all you'll get.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 84 [0]
Given Kudos: 46
Send PM
TescStudent wrote:
I think your official score sounds pretty good. Personally, what I did was just take the GMAT once, and without any preparation. I went in with the assumption and trust that if I took the test cold, the result would merely reflect my native ability - and I figured there's nothing wrong with that. After all, I didn't want to find myself stuck for years and year in a school where I would be in over my head.

Your native ability? So you learned how to do geometry and algebra without studying? Your brain automatically knew English grammar rules without study!? You'll definitely be a huge asset to the MBA class room then!
Intern
Intern
Send PM
whiplash2411 wrote:
I am not sure if I understand what you're saying correctly. Yes, it's not wrong to take a test cold, but perhaps indirectly implying that "native" ability is an indicator of performance at BSchool is pushing it a tad too much? I mean, a vast majority studies for the test, and BSchool classes aren't always made up of "genius" material. Hardworkers deserve more credit than the inherently intelligent, I think. Do correct me if I am wrong in my interpretation of your statement.

I understand what you're saying, and certainly working hard is a very good thing! But going too far in the other direction doesn't make much sense either.

To take a (reeeely) hypothetical situation, let's say that Person A studied for the GMAT for 15 minutes, that "study" consisting of reading the GMAT spec sheets to get an idea of what the test was about. Person B studied for the GMAT intensely for 50 hours, that is, 200 times as much as Person A. They both manage to score 700 on the GMAT.

The two then end up in the same classroom. The professor asks a question, which Person A manages to answer after about 10 seconds of thought. Is it feasible for Person B to ponder the question 200x longer, that is, for about half an hour, then raise his hand? Probably not. A and B take an exam. Person A finishes in the allotted 2 hours. Does Person B have 400 hours to finish his test? Probably not. In this scenario, these two clearly do not belong in the same classroom.

So personally, I'd like to avoid being Person B.

That's not to say though that I'm entirely opposed to studying either - it seems to me that the GMAT has some inherent resistance to being merely a measure of how well someone's prepped for it - otherwise, my own score would have been extremely low. Plus, studying proper writing is good for an aspiring business student.
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 3468 [0]
Given Kudos: 210
Concentration: General Management, Nonprofit
Send PM
TescStudent wrote:
The two then end up in the same classroom. The professor asks a question, which Person A manages to answer after about 10 seconds of thought. Is it feasible for Person B to ponder the question 200x longer, that is, for about half an hour, then raise his hand? Probably not. A and B take an exam. Person A finishes in the allotted 2 hours. Does Person B have 400 hours to finish his test? Probably not. In this scenario, these two clearly do not belong in the same classroom.

Your argument seems pretty flawed to me. Quick thinking and your GMAT score are in no way related to each other. A person's practicality or ability to perform in a classroom atmosphere is not reflected by the GMAT, that's all I am saying. I am not denying that there might be some people who might be able to pull off a 700 on the GMAT by studying 15 mins as you mentioned, but those are hand countable.

Also, you're making all the wrong comparisons. You forget that the person who studied for 50 hours takes the GMAT in the same time frame as person A. So the whole 400 hours business is out of the question. And once again, the GMAT doesn't test thought process. Standardized testing, IMHO, is but a tool to compare people from different backgrounds on a common platform, that's all. To determine one's performance in BSchool or in the classroom in general based on how many hours they put in to study for their GMAT is ridiculous. :)
Intern
Intern
Send PM
As I said, it's a very hypothetical scenario, but the GMAT does test quick thinking - at least it tries to test for "mental agility" in the quant section.

And 700 with 15 minutes of study, I don't think is extraordinary. I would have had to hit my head or come to the test drunk in order to score 700, and I'm pretty sure that I'm not the best at this test.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 84 [0]
Given Kudos: 46
Send PM
Tesc, you didn't answer my queston. So you knew algebra, geometry, and english grammar rules when you came out of the womb? If not then, I guess someone studying algebra, geometry, and english grammar directly for the GMAT is different than indirectly right? The indirect = Native Ability of course. So you are telling non-native english speakers not to study for verbal because they are not inherently good?
GMAT Club Bot