It is currently 23 Feb 2018, 12:15

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

A wave of new seltzer bars and bottle shops — all opened

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
P
Concentration: Operations, Finance
GPA: 3.35
WE: Information Technology (Computer Software)
A wave of new seltzer bars and bottle shops — all opened [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 06 Feb 2018, 20:47
This post was
BOOKMARKED
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

45% (medium)

Question Stats:

49% (00:50) correct 51% (00:51) wrong based on 108 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

A wave of new seltzer bars and bottle shops — all opened in the last two years, with some serving mostly alcoholic versions while others do not — are fueling interest in this formerly low-prestige beverage.

A)with some serving mostly alcoholic versions while others do not — are
B)with some serving mostly alcoholic versions and others not – are
C)and some serving mostly alcoholic versions while others do not – is
D)some serving mostly alcoholic versions and others not – is
E)with some serving mostly alcoholic versions and others do not – is

[Reveal] Spoiler:
Official Sol:

As in any sentence correction problem, try to find the easiest decision point to assess first. Here that is the subject-verb agreement choice between “is” and “are” at the end of each answer. Using slash-and-burn to locate the subject, you see this sentence is really: “A wave…is fueling” or “A wave…are fueling.” With the garbage removed, it is clear that verb needs to be “is” so you can eliminate (A) and (B).

The choice between (C), (D), and (E) is more difficult. While there are several differences between the choices, the one that matters is the choice between “while/and others do not” and “others not”. In a case like this, when you are omitting the verb form from the second part, you need to make sure the form you are using matches the form used previously. An easy way to check that is to simply put the original form where it is omitted and see if it works.

In this sentence, you have two choices:

“some serving mostly alcoholic versions while/and others do not SERVING them” NO – this does not work

OR

“some serving mostly alcoholic versions and others not SERVING them” YES – this works.

As a result, the correct answer is (D) as it is the only one with proper subject-verb agreement and a parallel construction where the verb form is omitted.
[Reveal] Spoiler: OA

आत्मनॊ मोक्षार्थम् जगद्धिताय च

Resource: GMATPrep RCs With Solution

Intern
Intern
B
GPA: 4
CAT Tests
Re: A wave of new seltzer bars and bottle shops — all opened [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 07 Feb 2018, 04:25
Confused between D and E. Could someone explain why E is wrong.
Intern
Intern
B

Show Tags

New post 08 Feb 2018, 10:05
Please explain why E is incorrect. I am confused between E and D
Intern
Intern
B
CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 08 Feb 2018, 11:21
IMO if you note the line-"with some serving mostly alcoholic versions while others do not ", it means to say some ARE serving alcoholic versions while are others ARE not. Do is hence not parallel. Experts please correct me.
Intern
Intern
B
GPA: 4
CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 08 Feb 2018, 12:54
prachigautam wrote:
IMO if you note the line-"with some serving mostly alcoholic versions while others do not ", it means to say some ARE serving alcoholic versions while are others ARE not. Do is hence not parallel. Experts please correct me.

Probably I didnt understand the intended meaning. Could u please explain the intended meaning of D
Intern
Intern
B
CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 09 Feb 2018, 12:48
@E-Gmat

Please help me understand the POE here,

As per the concept file A number of is followed by a plural verb.

Now as the OA is D is it only applicable to A number of .....

Secondly, Please correct if my analysis is wrong

C - Because of AND there has to be a parallel verb which is not present, thus this is eliminated.

How to go ahead for D and E?

Thanking in advance.
Intern
Intern
B
CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 09 Feb 2018, 13:37
poul_249 wrote:
prachigautam wrote:

Probably I didnt understand the intended meaning. Could u please explain the intended meaning of D

Per the OE, note, in a case like this, when we omit the verb form from the second part, we need to make sure the form we are using matches the form used previously.

Here, the first part says -with some serving mostly alcoholic versions and second says -others do not.

The verb form in the first part is "serving" which would match with second part not (serving being omitted).

Note this will not work if we use option e. Hence D is the correct answer.
Re: A wave of new seltzer bars and bottle shops — all opened   [#permalink] 09 Feb 2018, 13:37

A wave of new seltzer bars and bottle shops — all opened

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap