It is currently 19 Apr 2018, 06:38

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

A wave of new seltzer bars and bottle shops — all opened

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

1 KUDOS received
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
D
Concentration: Operations, Finance
GPA: 3.35
WE: Information Technology (Computer Software)
A wave of new seltzer bars and bottle shops — all opened [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 06 Feb 2018, 21:47
This post received
KUDOS
This post was
BOOKMARKED
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

55% (hard)

Question Stats:

54% (00:54) correct 46% (01:00) wrong based on 339 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

A wave of new seltzer bars and bottle shops — all opened in the last two years, with some serving mostly alcoholic versions while others do not — are fueling interest in this formerly low-prestige beverage.

A)with some serving mostly alcoholic versions while others do not — are
B)with some serving mostly alcoholic versions and others not – are
C)and some serving mostly alcoholic versions while others do not – is
D)some serving mostly alcoholic versions and others not – is
E)with some serving mostly alcoholic versions and others do not – is

[Reveal] Spoiler:
Official Sol:

As in any sentence correction problem, try to find the easiest decision point to assess first. Here that is the subject-verb agreement choice between “is” and “are” at the end of each answer. Using slash-and-burn to locate the subject, you see this sentence is really: “A wave…is fueling” or “A wave…are fueling.” With the garbage removed, it is clear that verb needs to be “is” so you can eliminate (A) and (B).

The choice between (C), (D), and (E) is more difficult. While there are several differences between the choices, the one that matters is the choice between “while/and others do not” and “others not”. In a case like this, when you are omitting the verb form from the second part, you need to make sure the form you are using matches the form used previously. An easy way to check that is to simply put the original form where it is omitted and see if it works.

In this sentence, you have two choices:

“some serving mostly alcoholic versions while/and others do not SERVING them” NO – this does not work

OR

“some serving mostly alcoholic versions and others not SERVING them” YES – this works.

As a result, the correct answer is (D) as it is the only one with proper subject-verb agreement and a parallel construction where the verb form is omitted.
[Reveal] Spoiler: OA

आत्मनॊ मोक्षार्थम् जगद्धिताय च

Resource: GMATPrep RCs With Solution

Intern
Intern
B
GPA: 4
Re: A wave of new seltzer bars and bottle shops — all opened [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 07 Feb 2018, 05:25
Confused between D and E. Could someone explain why E is wrong.
Intern
Intern
B

Show Tags

New post 08 Feb 2018, 11:05
Please explain why E is incorrect. I am confused between E and D
Intern
Intern
B
GMAT 1: 570 Q43 V25
CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 08 Feb 2018, 12:21
IMO if you note the line-"with some serving mostly alcoholic versions while others do not ", it means to say some ARE serving alcoholic versions while are others ARE not. Do is hence not parallel. Experts please correct me.
Intern
Intern
B
GPA: 4

Show Tags

New post 08 Feb 2018, 13:54
prachigautam wrote:
IMO if you note the line-"with some serving mostly alcoholic versions while others do not ", it means to say some ARE serving alcoholic versions while are others ARE not. Do is hence not parallel. Experts please correct me.

Probably I didnt understand the intended meaning. Could u please explain the intended meaning of D
Intern
Intern
B
CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 09 Feb 2018, 13:48
@E-Gmat

Please help me understand the POE here,

As per the concept file A number of is followed by a plural verb.

Now as the OA is D is it only applicable to A number of .....

Secondly, Please correct if my analysis is wrong

C - Because of AND there has to be a parallel verb which is not present, thus this is eliminated.

How to go ahead for D and E?

Thanking in advance.
Intern
Intern
B
GMAT 1: 570 Q43 V25
CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 09 Feb 2018, 14:37
poul_249 wrote:
prachigautam wrote:

Probably I didnt understand the intended meaning. Could u please explain the intended meaning of D

Per the OE, note, in a case like this, when we omit the verb form from the second part, we need to make sure the form we are using matches the form used previously.

Here, the first part says -with some serving mostly alcoholic versions and second says -others do not.

The verb form in the first part is "serving" which would match with second part not (serving being omitted).

Note this will not work if we use option e. Hence D is the correct answer.
Intern
Intern
B

Show Tags

New post 26 Feb 2018, 01:05
@E-gmat
Please help me with the solution
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
G
GPA: 3.33
WE: Accounting (Accounting)
GMAT ToolKit User

Show Tags

New post 02 Mar 2018, 16:21
A + sth + of + sth -> most of the time, correct answer is "is"

only D keeps the parallel.
Manager
Manager
B

Show Tags

New post 07 Mar 2018, 21:17
#split 1 :
A wave : subject (singular because it represents a group of new seltzer bars and bottle shops ) and therefore needs a singular verb (is)
Eliminate A and B
#split 2 :
with some serving mostly
COMMA + with at the end of a sentence generally serves as an adverb modifying the action of the preceding clause. here it means seltzer bars and bottle shops opened with some serving mostly alcoholic versions ...
IMO it is not the intended meaning . Eliminate A, B and E
# split 3 : C is wrong as it conveys something different .
all opened in the last two years and some serving mostly alcoholic versions while others do not ... makes no sense .. they opened and served alcohols at the same time..
Correct is D
What is the official explanation ?
plus if any experts could explain the usage of "with" and how it is used in GMAT ? (only as a modifier ?)
Manager
Manager
G
Concentration: Strategy, International Business
GMAT 1: 620 Q48 V26
GMAT ToolKit User

Show Tags

New post 02 Apr 2018, 09:35
Blueblu wrote:
poul_249 wrote:
prachigautam wrote:

Per the OE, note, in a case like this, when we omit the verb form from the second part, we need to make sure the form we are using matches the form used previously.

Here, the first part says -with some serving mostly alcoholic versions and second says -others do not.

The verb form in the first part is "serving" which would match with second part not (serving being omitted).

I beg to differ with your opinion.E is definitely wrong but not for parallelism but for wrong meaning and wrong modifier.Raksat has explained very beautifully why E is wrong.I'm not going into this
But to answer your doubt on parallelism why don't you try the following question

A recent poll indicates that many people in the United States hold a combination of conservative and liberal political views; i.e., they denounce big government, saying government is doing too much and has become too powerful, while at the same time supporting many specific government programs for health care, education, and the environment.

(A) they denounce the big government, saying government is doing too much and has become too powerful, while at the same time supporting

(B) they denounce big government- they say that government is doing too much and has become too powerful-but supporting at the same time

(C) they denounce big government, say that government is doing too much and it has become too powerful, while they support at the same time

(D) while they denounce big government, saying that government is doing too much and has become too powerful, at the same time supporting

(E) while they are denouncing big government- they say that government is doing too much and it has become too powerful-supporting at the same time
Intern
Intern
B
Affiliations: Admission Hacks
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V44
GMAT ToolKit User CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 02 Apr 2018, 10:21
techiesam wrote:
Blueblu wrote:
poul_249 wrote:

I beg to differ with your opinion.E is definitely wrong but not for parallelism but for wrong meaning and wrong modifier.Raksat has explained very beautifully why E is wrong.I'm not going into this
But to answer your doubt on parallelism why don't you try the following question

A recent poll indicates that many people in the United States hold a combination of conservative and liberal political views; i.e., they denounce big government, saying government is doing too much and has become too powerful, while at the same time supporting many specific government programs for health care, education, and the environment.

(A) they denounce the big government, saying government is doing too much and has become too powerful, while at the same time supporting

(B) they denounce big government- they say that government is doing too much and has become too powerful-but supporting at the same time

(C) they denounce big government, say that government is doing too much and it has become too powerful, while they support at the same time

(D) while they denounce big government, saying that government is doing too much and has become too powerful, at the same time supporting

(E) while they are denouncing big government- they say that government is doing too much and it has become too powerful-supporting at the same time

I fail to see your logic here --- I believe E quite obviously violates parallelism between "serving" and "do not {serve}".

Ultimately I believe you're correct about the wrong modifier, but I think it is better to focus on the easier aspect of the question. Taking the extra time to consider more complex ideas of meaning (and modifiers) when parallelism is so apparently violated is just wasting valuable seconds on your test.

But maybe I am missing something you are trying to communicate about how parallelism isn't actually violated.

Cheers,

Mac @ Admission Hacks

Visit: https://www.admissionhacks.com/ for free GMAT resources and advice!

Manager
Manager
G
Concentration: Strategy, International Business
GMAT 1: 620 Q48 V26
GMAT ToolKit User

Show Tags

New post 02 Apr 2018, 18:29
MacAtAdmissionHacks
Maybe this post by gmatninja could help you. Gmat is not ruled based now a days.It became more and more meaning oriented..
https://gmatclub.com/forum/advanced-sc- ... l#p1963513
Intern
Intern
B
Affiliations: Admission Hacks
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V44
GMAT ToolKit User CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 03 Apr 2018, 10:40
techiesam wrote:
Maybe this post by gmatninja could help you. Gmat is not ruled based now a days.It became more and more meaning oriented..

I think you're misinterpreting the application of what GMATNinja is trying to say. Simply because the test is "not rules based now a days" (an idea I also take issue with), doesn't mean there aren't rules to be followed.

"Whenever I see "and" or "or", I know that something HAS to be parallel, and those are the two parallelism "triggers" that show up the most often on the GMAT." - taken from the GMATNinja post that you linked :grin:

From the question on this post, answers C) and E) use "and", which is a coordinate conjunction, therefore both phrases must be parallel. Again, no need to focus on meaning, take the obvious route with parallelism.

Cheers,

Mac @ Admission Hacks

Visit: https://www.admissionhacks.com/ for free GMAT resources and advice!

Re: A wave of new seltzer bars and bottle shops — all opened   [#permalink] 03 Apr 2018, 10:40

A wave of new seltzer bars and bottle shops — all opened

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap