Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 15:35 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 15:35

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 974 [404]
Given Kudos: 264
GMAT 1: 620 Q49 V24
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
Math Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 619020 [50]
Given Kudos: 81595
Send PM
General Discussion
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 418 [1]
Given Kudos: 282
Concentration: Technology, General Management
GPA: 3.75
WE:Sales (Telecommunications)
Send PM
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 974 [3]
Given Kudos: 264
GMAT 1: 620 Q49 V24
Send PM
Re: A way to increase from Q35-40 to Q 47 [#permalink]
Kudos
rajathpanta wrote:
Awesome mate. This is one post I was hunting for. I was groping in the dark. Thanks a lot!

Thank you and Good luck !
Do post if you have any specific doubt in following the schedule mentioned above.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 12 [0]
Given Kudos: 19
Concentration: Human Resources, General Management
GMAT 1: 710 Q48 V39
GPA: 3.69
WE:Education (Education)
Send PM
Really good advices. Kudos!
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 5
Send PM
:) awesome bro ...i was just wandering in the dark ...thanx for shedding some light.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 293 [1]
Given Kudos: 59
GMAT 1: 640 Q47 V31
GPA: 3.82
Send PM
Kudos
Hey! Your post seems very helpful and as I am going to take a retake in a couple of months I want to improve my quants score from Q38 to Q47+ and therefore I think I qualify in the category targeted in this post.

As per your description, I should start with MGMAT quants book and it seems to be the most sought after quants concept book out there. Although the price seems really high and I am someone with very limited budget.

Could you help me connect with a source from where I can get a hand on used MGMAT books or someone who's already used them and want to sell them off at a reasonable price? That would be really helpful.

Thanks!
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 194 [0]
Given Kudos: 275
rajeevrks27 wrote:
I have been working on with few of my friends on raising their quant score from around 35-40 to 47+.They are helping me out in verbal and i am helping them in quant. We have been following a strategy that although is demanding but very effective. This would moreso help those who have already given the actual gmat once and have scored around 35-40.
First of all, a score of 35-40 means that one has some grip over the fundamentals but has gaps in the understanding of various concepts. The tasks involves giving treatment to the weaknesses topic wise and turning them into strong holds.

So the first and foremost step is to IDENTIFY YOUR WEAKNESS .

Generally one is aware of his or her weakness in quant. However, an authentic way is to run the assessment report of the MGMAT CATs and thereafter identify those weaknesses topic wise. Priorities them topic wise and sub-topic wise. For example If geometry is the one with the least % accuracy then it will figure at the top of the priority list and if arithmetic is the one with the maximum % accuracy, then it will figure at the bottom of the priority list. Similarly, for each topic, arrange the subtopic priority wise, for eg in Geometry, if Circles is the worst, it will figure at the top of Geometry list and if the triangles is the best, it will be at the bottom of the geometry list.

For those who have not given a MGMAT test or who are not aware of their accuracy in different topics of quant, They should simply try solving around 20 questions of each topic, i.e Geometry, algebra........ Once done, they can decide upon the priority mentioned above depending upon the accuracy, time taken and the comfort factor with the topic.

The second step is to GIVE SPECIFIC TREATMENT TO THE TOPICS DEPENDING UPON THE PRIORITY.

Now start with the weakest section of a particular topic. Suppose geometry is the topic and circles is the weakest section. Start with Circles theory from MGMAT Geometry book. When you're reading the concepts, try to understand the reasoning behind. Don't hurry up on concepts. Think where all these concepts can be applied. Be very slow and focussed when you're doing the concepts.

We have this misconception that quant checks our knowledge of Maths but trust the concepts tested are very very basics. Infact the questions in the real test are not hard but tricky. One needs to apply logic equally in solving the problems.

Coming back to the approach, so once you're done with the concept of that particular section, kindly go through the question given in the end including the reference questions of OG 12 and og Quant supplement. Once you're doing these questions, just don't worry about time rather do them untimed, however, you must do them diligently, understanding the trick being tested by the testmakers. Once we understand that how a particular concept is tested by the testmakers, we can solve most of the questions in a minute.

subsequently move to the next section of Geometry, REPEAT, REPEAT AND REPEAT the same drill for all the sections of the Geometry including the advanced section. Kindly make an error log wherein you will copy- paste all the topic wise questions , which you did wrong or which you have guessed. VVVVIMP. You've to keep a day for these questions in a week exclusively. Trust, The maximum amount of learning you will get from the error log because what you already know , you will generally get that correctly , however, something in which you're weak , you will get most of the problems wrong. Actually, it's the weakest section that constitutes the most portion of the error log. The bottom line is to MAINTAIN AN ERROR LOG AND VISIT IT EVERY WEEK.

Now that you're done with the entire book on Geometry along with the reference questions of OGs, You're almost 60-70% prepared to take on the questions. Now is the time when you've to start doing timed questions. There is a plethora of material available over web. However the best three materials i found to be
1) GMATCLUB Quizzes. One can start with 500 level questions initially and move to middle level and subsequently highest level.
2) Jeff sackmann's challenge sets. Soembody who is already scoring around 40 in quant won't require the basic one. The eight challenge sets are divided topic wise and they have mostly 600-700 level questions.So after the end of each topic, for eg geometry, one can make sets of 20-30 questions and do them timed using a timer.
3) For GMAT, the best resource is gmatclub, check out these links again the questions are level and category wise, exactly what we need.
https://gmatclub.com/forum/ds-question-d ... 28728.html
https://gmatclub.com/forum/gmat-ps-quest ... 27957.html

One can choose any of these resources and PRACTICE A NUMBER OF QUESTIONS OF EACH TOPIC

one needs to practice more questions on sub topics and topics that have the worst average % and a few questions on topics and subtopics that have good average %. The average % is same what we found initially with the help of MGMAT CATs assessment report.

you need to devote 2 min/questions during this practice. You will require almost double the time to review them. . Remember You've to review the problem irrespective of whether you got it right or wrong. many a times, you will find that an alternate and easier approach exist that you were not aware of.
The questions that you guess or do incorrectly during practice should automatically go the error log under the specific head...

WASH, RINSE AND REPEAT for all topics( i mean five books of mgmat), I feel this entire work should take around two weeks for a single book, devoting around 4 hrs a day on weekday and 6 on weekend. Again, pl don't rush through this stage.

Now, to do the enitre 5 book will take you around 2 months to cover, Don't skip a book even if you've done it earlier. You may do it in one week but you must do all 5 books this way. After having done with the five books and a number of questions of each topic ( I know doing so is very demanding but i guarantee that you do what i wrote above, and you will score 47/48 + easily), Take a practice test to gauge your performance. Also if you did something differently that worked out , please do mention that here for the benefit of the GMAT community

If one want to score 49/49+ go here https://gmatclub.com/forum/the-final-cli ... 29441.html

A general tip in the end: Keep yourself motivated through out this journey. In a week study concepts/practice problems for 5 days only, keep the sixth day for the error log and most importantly, keep the seventh day totally free. Spend time with your family , go for outings/picnic, detoxify yourself from the hangover of GMAT. For one day you should be totally detached from GMAT and totally attached to what you like. VVIMP.
Good luck and Bon Voyage!!!
Rajeev

Very useful post.

I am in the same zone of Q37 for some time now and really needed some guidance to score Q>45. How is e-gmat quant? Does it cover important topics as I only find people talking about Manhattan books but not any other material.
Also Should one solve OG first and then move to GMAT Club or doing both simultaneously would be a better idea?
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 194 [0]
Given Kudos: 275
It would be great if someone could answer this query as I just checked the user rajeevrks has not come online after Jan 2016.
IIM School Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 1238 [1]
Given Kudos: 1207
WE:Engineering (Other)
Send PM