It is currently 17 Dec 2017, 04:15

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

A wide variety of methods for marketing products and brands exists....

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 45 [1], given: 37

Concentration: Marketing, Strategy
GPA: 3.62
WE: Engineering (Manufacturing)
A wide variety of methods for marketing products and brands exists.... [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 12 Oct 2014, 01:32
This post received
KUDOS
This post was
BOOKMARKED
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

25% (medium)

Question Stats:

80% (01:43) correct 20% (01:57) wrong based on 381 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

A wide variety of methods for marketing products and brands exists. Statistics show that where traditional media fail to do so, Internet marketing campaigns can produce staggering results and require the allocation of much smaller funds, in general. An advantage of such a campaign is the advertiser's ability to observe its progression and to frequently manipulate certain parameters until an optimal configuration is attained. Although previously expected, a decrease in the prices of television and print advertising has not materialized as of yet.
In the argument, the two portions in boldface play which of the following roles?

a) The first is a generalization made about the cost of Internet advertising; the second is a beneficial capability offered by this form of marketing.

b) The first is an assumption which is likely to be true; the second is an advantage of the employment of internet marketing.

c) The first is a rule that can be applied to any company wishing to advertise online; the second is an ability enjoyed by such a company.

d) The first is a fact supporting a method of marketing; the second is a fact that weighs against the same method.

e) The first is a positive statement about most online advertising campaigns; the second is an inconvenience created by such campaigns.
[Reveal] Spoiler: OA

Kudos [?]: 45 [1], given: 37

Expert Post
Verbal Expert
S

Kudos [?]: 3652 [0], given: 22

Schools: HHL Leipzig
GMAT 1: 780 Q50 V47
WE: Corporate Finance (Pharmaceuticals and Biotech)
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member Reviews Badge
Re: A wide variety of methods for marketing products and brands exists.... [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 26 Jan 2017, 04:30
sayansarkar wrote:
A wide variety of methods for marketing products and brands exists. Statistics show that where traditional media fail to do so, Internet marketing campaigns can produce staggering results and require the allocation of much smaller funds, in general. An advantage of such a campaign is the advertiser's ability to observe its progression and to frequently manipulate certain parameters until an optimal configuration is attained. Although previously expected, a decrease in the prices of television and print advertising has not materialized as of yet.
In the argument, the two portions in boldface play which of the following roles?

a) The first is a generalization made about the cost of Internet advertising; the second is a beneficial capability offered by this form of marketing.

b) The first is an assumption which is likely to be true; the second is an advantage of the employment of internet marketing.

c) The first is a rule that can be applied to any company wishing to advertise online; the second is an ability enjoyed by such a company.

d) The first is a fact supporting a method of marketing; the second is a fact that weighs against the same method.

e) The first is a positive statement about most online advertising campaigns; the second is an inconvenience created by such campaigns.

B. Wrong. The first is not an assumption, but an assertion.
C. Wrong. The first is not a rule. Moreoever it is not mentioned whether it can be applied to any company.
D. Wrong. The second does not weigh against, but supports the method.
E. Wrong. The second is not an inconvenience, but a convenience.

Option A is the correct answer.

Kudos [?]: 3652 [0], given: 22

VP
VP
S

Kudos [?]: 52 [0], given: 1488

GMAT 1: 700 Q49 V33
GPA: 3.64
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member
Re: A wide variety of methods for marketing products and brands exists.... [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 13 Nov 2017, 20:55
Although this question is not hard, it still takes time to find the right answer. For this reason, test takers must practice GMAT daily in order to improve GMAT scores.

VP
VP
S

Show Tags

New post 17 Nov 2017, 20:50
although this question is unlikely to appear in the actual gmat test, I still have no idea how bb can solve a CR question in less than a minute!

Manager
Manager
B

Kudos [?]: 13 [0], given: 62

Concentration: Finance, Technology
Schools: CBS '20
GMAT 1: 640 Q43 V35
Reviews Badge CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 17 Nov 2017, 23:00
Correct answer (A). Seems an easy question, though.

Sent from my SM-N900 using GMAT Club Forum mobile app

If you must err, err on the side of hope.
I believe in your success

Kudos [?]: 13 [0], given: 62

Expert Post
1 KUDOS received
Founder
Founder
D

Kudos [?]: 29432 [1], given: 5351

GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GMAT ToolKit User CAT Tests
A wide variety of methods for marketing products and brands exists.... [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 18 Nov 2017, 00:02
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
chesstitans wrote:
although this question is unlikely to appear in the actual gmat test, I still have no idea how bb can solve a CR question in less than a minute!

Not all obviously and this is a bold CR which is unpleasant but what specifically takes time for you on CR? Do you try to answer/solve before reading answer choices. That worked for me 75-80% of the time to answer the question right off the batt.

BB

Posted from my mobile device

Founder of GMAT Club

Just starting out with GMAT? Start here... or use our Daily Study Plan

Co-author of the GMAT Club tests

VP
VP
S

Show Tags

New post 18 Nov 2017, 21:29
bb wrote:
chesstitans wrote:

Not all obviously and this is a bold CR which is unpleasant but what specifically takes time for you on CR? Do you try to answer/solve before reading answer choices. That worked for me 75-80% of the time to answer the question right off the batt.

BB

Posted from my mobile device

I have tried to build up a perfect strategy for gmat, but I just miss an important point. That is to say, I still do not assess how to answer the question before looking at the all option choices.

I have read many explanations, and it seems that experts rarely include the technique in their posts. I can see the explanations why a choice is wrong, and why other choices are wrong. Nevertheless, the technique is kind of abstract; it is hard to tell what an absolute answer is.

Expert Post
Founder
Founder
D

Kudos [?]: 29432 [0], given: 5351

Show Tags

New post 18 Nov 2017, 21:50
chesstitans wrote:

I have tried to build up a perfect strategy for gmat, but I just miss an important point. That is to say, I still do not assess how to answer the question before looking at the all option choices.

I have read many explanations, and it seems that experts rarely include the technique in their posts. I can see the explanations why a choice is wrong, and why other choices are wrong. Nevertheless, the technique is kind of abstract; it is hard to tell what an absolute answer is.

The easiest ones are the assumption, strengthen, and weaken or additional evidence.
You can read the question (without answer choices) and see what it asks first. Then read the passage once (slowly and carefully). Then read the question again and then just get a vague idea (in 3 seconds or less) how you would answer the question with your own words.

For example,
https://gmatclub.com/forum/a-state-gove ... 38661.html this is a pretty easy to practice on question - you can read the text and realize that the answer would be something out of scope, so as you read the answer choices, you can quickly eliminate the ones that talk about something trivial. Start with easy ones and build yourself up - don't worry about attempting the hardest CR's in the world - you will likely see only a few of them on your test. You want to make sure you can answer quickly all the easy and medium ones.

P.S. So the less than 1 min per CR timing applies to the ones I could crack right away using the pre-meditation/pre-answer method. If I could not, then it would usually take a second reading of answer choices, and usually would add at least another 30 secs.

Founder of GMAT Club

Kudos [?]: 29432 [0], given: 5351

1 KUDOS received
VP
VP
S

Kudos [?]: 52 [1], given: 1488

Show Tags

New post 18 Nov 2017, 22:02
This post received
KUDOS
bb
it does take me 50 seconds.
For every 30 Kaplan sub 600 questions, I got 1 wrong.
For every 40 OG sub 500 questions, I got 0 wrong for CR, but 2-3 for SC.

(Every + number greater than 1 + plural, is this correct?)

For medium questions, I got about a third - a half wrong. (Kaplan and OG)

For hard questions, there is no consistent data.

Kudos [?]: 52 [1], given: 1488

Expert Post
1 KUDOS received
Founder
Founder
D

Show Tags

New post 18 Nov 2017, 22:25
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
chesstitans wrote:
bb
it does take me 50 seconds.
For every 30 Kaplan sub 600 questions, I got 1 wrong.
For every 40 OG sub 500 questions, I got 0 wrong for CR, but 2-3 for SC.

(Every + number greater than 1 + plural, is this correct?)

For medium questions, I got about a third - a half wrong. (Kaplan and OG)

For hard questions, there is no consistent data.

Great - you are definitely on the way there - now start collecting hard CR's you have an issue with and see how you can solve this type/pattern of the CR next time. There are patterns and "entrances" how to "enter and crack" the question - need to figure out the approach that works for you. It may seem like it is all random stuff but after you go through 20, 30, 50, 100 hard CR's you will be able to categorize them and see similarities. Print every question you miss out and start catalogging. Also, flip through them and review each to know the method/approach/"entrance" for each question. Your speed of solution will improve. Like with easy Waken/Strengthen questions there are patterns (not as easy and much more subtle and not for all questions but there are patterns and solutions).

Here is one idea - Use the timer but when working on hard questions, give yourself a bit more time (maybe 2.5 mins per question when you know they are hard) and first work on accuracy, then start dialing in speed but always use the timer and try to minimize inefficiencies such as re-reading the question multiple times or answer choices. (I could not do it every time but I could do that most of the time, and that's all that counts). The good news is that even if you dont' know the answer, that means you are getting a hard question on the GMAT - means you are doing fantastic and if you get it wrong, it is not a big deal or penalty. Don't stress, just don't waste time (more than 2.5 mins) on any single question on the test and know what you can afford (maybe even less than 2.5)

Founder of GMAT Club

Re: A wide variety of methods for marketing products and brands exists....   [#permalink] 18 Nov 2017, 22:25

A wide variety of methods for marketing products and brands exists....

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap