Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 14:48 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 14:49

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 3827 [64]
Given Kudos: 17
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 79 [13]
Given Kudos: 5
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 9 [6]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
General Discussion
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 444 [3]
Send PM
Re: Abolish taxes, and real taxpayers would find that their disposable inc [#permalink]
Kudos
Bookmarks
I will go with C. I find E weak. It talks about payment to public employees. Payment may not be the only source of income. The argument talks about the income of these employees.
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 3827 [0]
Given Kudos: 17
Send PM
Re: Abolish taxes, and real taxpayers would find that their disposable inc [#permalink]
Its from LSAT series
OA-C
++++++++
request to you all Posters
pls post the OA within 8-10 discussions/24 hrs
do we have spoiler here?
++++++++++++++++
Abolish taxes, and real taxpayers would find that their disposable incomes have increased. Abolish taxes, and public employees would find that their incomes have disappeared.
Which one of the following is a logical conclusion that depends on information in both of the statements above?
(A) Public offices should be abolished so that disposable incomes will rise.
(B) The only real taxpayers are those who would have more to spend if they did not pay taxes.
(C) Public employees are not real taxpayers.
(D) Public employees’ incomes should not be taxed since they come from taxes.
(E) If there were no taxes, then public employees could not be paid.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 74 [1]
Given Kudos: 5
 Q45  V27 GMAT 2: 640  Q47  V31
GPA: 3.32
Send PM
Kudos
(A) Public offices should be abolished so that disposable incomes will rise. irrelevant
(B) The only real taxpayers are those who would have more to spend if they did not pay taxes. illogical
(C) Public employees are not real taxpayers. chances are there waitlisted
(D) Public employees’ incomes should not be taxed since they come from taxes.irrelevant
(E) If there were no taxes, then public employees could not be paid.comes close

I think C and E are more relevant to the question but between C and E I chose E because from the statement it is obvious that if taxes are abolished public employees wouldn't have any income

and also the above statement doesn't clearly states that pubilc employee are not real tax payers
Own Kudos [?]: [2]
Given Kudos:
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, International Business
WE:Supply Chain Management (Energy and Utilities)
Kudos
Bookmarks
I chose E but changed to C since, we have to consider both statments, choice E only considers the last statment. Additionally E is more of an inference other than a conclusion.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Send PM
I went with E.

The premise states that public employees salaries are funded with taxes (other possibilities like debt are slashed away).

However, public employees may have sources of rent (different from income) which may be taxable, converting them into real tax payers.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 9 [0]
Send PM
jcampomar wrote:
I went with E.

The premise states that public employees salaries are funded with taxes (other possibilities like debt are slashed away).

However, public employees may have sources of rent (different from income) which may be taxable, converting them into real tax payers.

The problem with this is that you are assuming and utilizing your knowledge to introduce new concepts to the statements, one should always get back and only use what the question provides, if you use all of our knowledge in logic proofs like this we will made them just un-proof-able, and what is correctly concluded through logic for you will be different for any other human being that didn't knew this fact or any other you just included, that is why one should stay back to use general or personal knowledge to include as inputs to the logic proof and only use what the statements settle, that way you will assure there is only one correct answer
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 2335 [0]
Given Kudos: 36
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V43
Send PM
Abolish taxes, and real taxpayers would find that their disposable incomes have increased. Abolish taxes, and public employees would find that their incomes have disappeared.

No tax = real taxpayers will have more income
No tax= Public employee will have no income.
Conclusion:- No tax = Any one who is a real taxpayer will see some increase in income except public employee who will not get any income.

Since after removing tax the public employee income is not increased, then it must be concluded thais employee are not real taxpayers.

OPTION C is the correct answer

nitya34 wrote:

Which one of the following is a logical conclusion that depends on information in both of the statements above?

(B) The only real taxpayers are those who would have more to spend if they did not pay taxes.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 200 [0]
Given Kudos: 174
Send PM

----> does not come from the statements above, as no correlation between public offices and disposable incomes.

----> expenditure, taxes correlation not discussed.

---> if public employers had been real taxpayers then after abolishing taxes their disposable incomes would have increased.

---> is not implied from the argument.

---> if we assume that the extra disposable income that the real taxpayers generate, is used to pay the public employees income then this could be a conclusion.
But, this introduces an assumption that is out of scope. Eliminated
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Given Kudos: 120
Send PM
Hi Experts,

Though only C & E are contenders here, I am a bit confused why the OA is C. Isn't E using the information from both statements? Please help.
Volunteer Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 6859 [2]
Given Kudos: 500
Kudos
Expert Reply
Purvidebuka wrote:
Hi Experts,

Though only C & E are contenders here, I am a bit confused why the OA is C. Isn't E using the information from both statements? Please help.

Hello, Purvidebuka. If you examine the passage carefully, you will see that, based on the same condition—[if the government/we] abolish taxes—an outcome follows.

abolish taxes → real taxpayers would find that their disposable incomes have increased
abolish taxes → public employees would find that their incomes have disappeared

Since the question stem asks us to form a logical conclusion from both of the statements, we should be looking for a crossover in information from the right-hand side of the arrows above. If it helps:

nitya34 wrote:

The crux of the conclusion in (C) is, believe it or not, are not: both outcomes from the passage are represented. Answer choice (E) is a restatement of the second conditional statement only:

If there were no taxes—i.e. abolish taxes
public employees could not be paid—i.e. public employees would find that their incomes have disappeared

Thus, we can rule out (E) in favor of (C) as the answer to the question that is being asked.

Although I doubt this sort of question would appear as is on the GMAT™, it can still be useful for supplemental practice. Good luck with your studies.

- Andrew
Non-Human User
Own Kudos [?]: 848 [0]
Send PM
Hello from the GMAT Club VerbalBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
GMAT Club Bot
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6921 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts
CR Forum Moderator
832 posts