Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 01:56 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 01:56

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 180 [93]
Given Kudos: 25
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 64907 [24]
Given Kudos: 426
Send PM
Director
Director
Status:Everyone is a leader. Just stop listening to others.
Own Kudos [?]: 4595 [13]
Given Kudos: 235
GPA: 3.51
WE:Information Technology (Computer Software)
Send PM
General Discussion
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 180 [2]
Given Kudos: 25
Send PM
About 70 percent of the tomatoes grown in the United States come from [#permalink]
Kudos
Bookmarks

VERITAS PREP OFFICIAL EXPLANATION:

This sentence correction problem uses an unusual modifier structure to “hide the correct answer” - a common tool used by testmakers that you learned about in the Advanced Verbal lesson. In (A), the phrase “their DNA modified….” is called an absolute phrase (a difficult but relatively common structure) and it is properly modifying seeds and how they have been engineered. Everything else in the sentence is fine so (A) is the correct answer. However many students will eliminate it because they are not familiar with the absolute phrase structure. The other four answer choices all have fatal flaws and if you use the proper strategy (“only eliminate when you are sure it is wrong” and “look for the easier decision points first”) then you will get this problem correct.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 135 [1]
Given Kudos: 401
Concentration: Finance, General Management
Schools: EMLYON FT'16
GMAT 1: 650 Q47 V32
GPA: 3.44
Send PM
Re: About 70 percent of the tomatoes grown in the United States come from [#permalink]
Kudos
Skag55 wrote:
About 70 percent of the tomatoes grown in the United States come from seeds that have been engineered in a laboratory, their DNA modified with genetic material not naturally found in tomato species.

A) come from seeds that have been engineered in a laboratory, their DNA modified with genetic material not naturally found in tomato species
B) come from seeds that have been engineered in a laboratory, and also having their DNA modified with genetic material not naturally found in tomato species
C) come from seeds engineered in a laboratory and that have had their DNA modified with genetic material not naturally found in tomato species
D) comes from seeds that have been engineered in a laboratory and with their DNA modified with genetic material not naturally found in tomato species
E) comes from seeds that have been engineered in a laboratory, and their DNA modified with genetic material not naturally found in tomato species

I've got this one wrong and I believe it's way too weird! I'd swear that these kind of questions won't ever appear on the real GMAT. What do you think?

Hi all,

70 percent of X come from Y. ==> eliminate D & E

A) come from seeds that have been engineered in a laboratory, their DNA modified with genetic material not naturally found in tomato species - "their" is not correct and wordy here
B) come from seeds that have been engineered in a laboratory, and also having their DNA modified with genetic material not naturally found in tomato species - also having is not parallel
C) come from seeds engineered in a laboratory and that have had their DNA modified with genetic material not naturally found in tomato species - Correct / That refers to the "70 percent of tomatoes"
D) comes from seeds that have been engineered in a laboratory and with their DNA modified with genetic material not naturally found in tomato species - comes
E) comes from seeds that have been engineered in a laboratory, and their DNA modified with genetic material not naturally found in tomato species - comes

Hope it helps
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 1371 [2]
Given Kudos: 46
WE:Corporate Finance (Manufacturing)
Send PM
Re: About 70 percent of the tomatoes grown in the United States come from [#permalink]
Kudos
Bookmarks
Skag55 wrote:
About 70 percent of the tomatoes grown in the United States come from seeds that have been engineered in a laboratory, their DNA modified with genetic material not naturally found in tomato species.

A) come from seeds that have been engineered in a laboratory, their DNA modified with genetic material not naturally found in tomato species
B) come from seeds that have been engineered in a laboratory, and also having their DNA modified with genetic material not naturally found in tomato species
C) come from seeds engineered in a laboratory and that have had their DNA modified with genetic material not naturally found in tomato species
D) comes from seeds that have been engineered in a laboratory and with their DNA modified with genetic material not naturally found in tomato species
E) comes from seeds that have been engineered in a laboratory, and their DNA modified with genetic material not naturally found in tomato species

I've got this one wrong and I believe it's way too weird! I'd swear that these kind of questions won't ever appear on the real GMAT. What do you think?

The key in identifying absolute modifiers is spotting the past participle in the non-essential phrase. Once the participle is found, test all the pronouns and you'll be home free.
IMO A.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 3 [1]
Given Kudos: 62
GMAT 1: 720 Q49 V38
Send PM
Kudos
VeritasPrepKarishma

Dear Karishma,

How to make sure that the word "their" modifies seeds but not tomatoes. I understand that the meaning does make sense, but seldom I found GMAT clarifying the correct usage of pronoun in the absolute phrase. I skipped A because of this pronoun ambiguity. Any help on this ?
Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 64907 [3]
Given Kudos: 426
Send PM
Bookmarks
Expert Reply
ankitmining wrote:
VeritasPrepKarishma

Dear Karishma,

How to make sure that the word "their" modifies seeds but not tomatoes. I understand that the meaning does make sense, but seldom I found GMAT clarifying the correct usage of pronoun in the absolute phrase. I skipped A because of this pronoun ambiguity. Any help on this ?

"seeds" is the closest noun to "their" and is the logical antecedent to it. Hence, there is no pronoun ambiguity here.

Refer to this post for a write up on pronoun ambiguity:
https://www.gmatclub.com/forum/veritas-prep-resource-links-no-longer-available-399979.html#/2016/0 ... -the-gmat/
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 42103 [1]
Given Kudos: 422
WE:Education (Education)
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
Top Contributor
If one is clear with a couple of fundamentals, this question is as easy as 1, 2, 3.

1. 70% of the Tomatoes is plural and hence the verb should be a plural; per se, D and E are out.

2. The second fundamental is much more central; B and C are unparallel fragments with a clause on the left side of 'and' a phrase on the right side.

Eventually, We are left with only A.
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 42103 [8]
Given Kudos: 422
WE:Education (Education)
Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks
Expert Reply
Top Contributor
Example1: 70 % of the students(plural) are weak in verbal.
The norm is that percent of a plural is plural
Example 2; 70% of the class(singular) is weak in verbal
Percent of a singular is singular.

Percent of tomatoes come because tomatoes are a plural
percent of water come or comes? Percent of water comes because water is singular.

Look at this Official example.

Over 75 percent of the energy produced in France derives from nuclear power.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 127 [1]
Given Kudos: 57
GMAT 1: 690 Q49 V34
GMAT 2: 740 Q50 V40
GPA: 4
Send PM