Last visit was: 23 Apr 2024, 22:10 It is currently 23 Apr 2024, 22:10

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Kudos
MBA Admissions Consultant
Own Kudos [?]: 844 [0]
Given Kudos: 92
Send PM
Send PM
Send PM
Send PM
Will Your Graduate Education Pay? [#permalink]
Expert Reply
FROM Accepted.com Blog: Will Your Graduate Education Pay?

Saving money on your student loans, ranking grad programs based on salary-to-debt ratios, plus life as a Columbia Business School grad. All in today’s show.

Today’s guest, Amanda Wood, graduated from Vassar College in 2009 with a degree in social psychology and economics. After graduation, she worked at BNY Mellon and at Brigham and Women’s Hospital in Boston. In 2014 she earned her MBA at Columbia Business School. Since 2013, she has worked in business development for SoFi. In March 2016, she became the Director of SoFi’s Entrepreneur Program, and in December, she became the Director, Business Operations & Strategy at SoFi. Welcome, Amanda!

How can students save money with SoFi? [1:20] 

Students can save money by refinancing their student loans with us.

When I went to b-school I graduated with five to six different loans. What SoFi does is consolidate all your loans into one, so you only make one monthly payment to one lender, which saves time. And we can lower your interest rate, which saves money.

Do you originate loans, or just refinance them? [2:00]

We don’t do new school loans, except to parents. We refinance loans. One of the ways we can offer such great savings is by offering great interest rates, and we do that by lending to “safe” borrowers who have graduated and are employed.

It’s for US citizens and permanent residents only, and we have no plans to expand at this point. [3:25]

What are your career resources? [3:40]

We have a career services team in house that helps place borrowers.

We do a bit of reactive help – say, if a borrower loses their job we can help them find a new job.

But we also work with people proactively who are gainfully employed and want to change their job (from law to tech, etc).

What is the Entrepreneur Program? [4:50]

We started when we were a very young company. We want to help people progress.

For participants in the Entrepreneur Program, we waive the income guidelines (since many entrepreneurs pay themselves only a token salary in the early stages of their company). And they can defer repayment for up to a year.

We have a kickoff day in San Francisco where participants can meet each other and discuss their ideas. We coach them through various stages of their business – pitching, marketing, etc. And we conclude with a demo day – we’ve seen a number of investments result from that.

Does interest accrue during the deferment? [7:10]

Yes, and some people opt to pay interest-only payments during that time.

You mentioned the income requirement. What are your other criteria for underwriting? [7:45]

We’re looking at ability to pay. So we look at their monthly income, expenses (based on where they live, etc), their total loan balance, and their other debts.

We’re also looking for a generally responsible financial history: no recent bankruptcy or significant late payment history.

What is Return on Education? [9:20]

We realized we have all this fantastic data on an interesting group of people – we know how much people are making, what they studied, how much debt they have. We wanted to use that to help people make decisions about what schools to go to.

We look at the salary to debt ratio about three years after graduation, and that’s how we create our rankings.

Let’s look at the MBA rankings for a moment. These compare earnings to debt loads 3 years after graduation, correct? Some surprises (BYU (2.0), Villanova (1.9), U of Wisconsin – Madison, U of Kansas) and some to be expected (Stanford 1.9; HBS 1.6; bunch at 1.5. Your alma mater Columbia is at 1.4.) Did anything surprise you about these numbers? [12:40]

It makes you realize how debt and income go hand in hand. Schools that have great reputations tend to lead to great careers. It’s refreshing to see smaller programs (and programs that may be less highly regarded) on these lists: you don’t need to go to a top school to be successful later in life.

Do you think about going more than three years out – say, five to ten years? The ratios might change. [14:45]

Yes, that’s important. We’re still a young company and most of our borrowers are recent grads, so our data is recent. But we’ll refresh the numbers as time goes on.

Deciding to go to school shouldn’t be entirely determined by salary/debt/RoED, but salary is a realistic consideration. [17:30]

Yes, consider whether the degree you’re applying for will allow you to do what you want to do.

Linda: That’s one of the things that distinguishes graduate studies from undergrad – you need to have a clearer goal and sense of purpose. [19:50]

Do you have any tips for reducing student loan debt while people are in school? [20:45]

There are a lot of things people can do.

When you’re taking out the loans – a lot of people rush and sign whatever is in front of them. Do your research and know what you’re signing, especially when it comes to important details like origination fees and interest rates.

Think about practical reality: If I’m going to have $100K in loans, what does that mean for me in real terms every month? It’s so easy to get loans that you don’t think twice.

When you’re in school, spend responsibly. Your loans may be covering your living expenses, food, travel, etc. So don’t spend irrationally.

After, take a job that will allow you to repay your loans.

I’m a strong believer in doing something you’re passionate about even if it’s not the top paying job, but be aware of the reality that you need to make your repayments.

Looking back to your time at Columbia now – what do you miss from your experience at CBS? [29:20]

I miss my friends most. People are what set schools apart.

Was there anything that could have been better? [25:40]

I really, really liked it a lot. I’m not sure I would change anything.

One of the things that surprised me was that banks and consulting firms were already recruiting in month one-two. I would start students thinking about goals earlier, especially for students considering alternate career paths.

Did CBS help you find the SoFi position? [29:20]

I think so. What they really helped with was with the “self job search.”

And me being a Columbia student helped me – when you’re a student, everyone is willing to chat and help you out. The alumni network is helpful.

It sounds like you’re glad you got the MBA. Any other reasons why? [31:20]

I came from a non-traditional background (non-profit), and I wanted to boost my technical skills. The classes really helped me round out my business knowledge.

I also loved the opportunity to travel extensively with my classmates, both before the program started and during breaks.

Do you have any tips for MBA applicants? [35:10]

Think about what your classmates are going to be like. What is the learning style? (Case, lecture?) What is the average salary, and the average debt?

As far as the application itself goes: let your personality shine through. Everyone’s resume is impressive. And you need a good GMAT – that’s all well and good. What sets you apart is the essays – that’s where they get to know you.

Any tips for a grad student looking to finance their education? [37:05]

Learn everything you can. Figure out what the cost of education is. Negotiate as much financial aid as you can. (Certain schools give more scholarships.)

When it comes to loans, pay attention to interest rates and fees, and consider different lenders and programs.

Related Resources:

SoFi

Return on Education Infographic

Sofi MBA Rankings

Sofi Law School Rankings

Related Resources:

What’s Life Like as a Darden MBA and Entrepreneur?

• Building Your Consulting Career, and a Look Back at a Tuck MBA

• Individual Mobile Test Prep and the MIT Sloan MBA Who Created It

• A Lot About Yale SOM’s EMBA Program – And a Little About One Year MBAs

• The Admissions Team At The Very Center Of Business

Subscribe:

Tags: Admissions Straight Talk, College Admissions, Grad School Admissions, Law School Admissions, MBA Admissions, Medical School Admissions

The post Will Your Graduate Education Pay? [Episode 195] appeared first on Accepted Admissions Blog.
This Blog post was imported into the forum automatically. We hope you found it helpful. Please use the Kudos button if you did, or please PM/DM me if you found it disruptive and I will take care of it. -BB
Send PM
HEC Paris MBA Essay Tips & Deadlines [#permalink]
Expert Reply
FROM Accepted.com Blog: HEC Paris MBA Essay Tips & Deadlines

These essays give the adcom a well-rounded view of you – they go beyond what you’ve done to capture how you think and respond, even how you imagine. Moreover, they require you to communicate complex thoughts and experiences in few words. For the four short essays especially, don’t waste words on conventional introductory and concluding paragraphs. Jump right into your point or story, and use straightforward sentences that avoid wordy constructions (e.g. “had the opportunity to”); don’t feel shy using direct, declarative sentences. This writing approach has an added benefit: it conveys confidence. Since there are several essays, I suggest first sketching out ideas for them all, then stepping back to see how all these facets add up as a whole, and adjusting topics if/as necessary to avoid redundancy and ensure a well-rounded presentation.

Essays:

1. Why are you applying to the HEC MBA Program now? What is the professional objective that will guide your career choice after your MBA, and how will the HEC MBA contribute to the achievement of this objective? (500 words maximum)

This is a traditional goals question with a couple of twists.

• First, the “why now” part should be explicitly addressed, even if it seems obvious.  Briefly is fine – the essay overall should make this case ultimately.

• Second, the “professional objective” is essentially your long-term career vision. The question implies that this vision or goal will drive your preceding steps, so present your shorter-term goal(s) in that context: show how they pave the way for you to pursue and achieve your ultimate professional objective.

• Be brief but specific when discussing the HEC MBA – tie directly to goals, and detail the 2-3 points about the program that are most meaningful to you.

Finally, connect the dots. This essay, well done, will convey how your goals grow organically from your experience and are achievable given your past experience and an MBA from HEC.

2. What do you consider your most significant life achievement? (250 words maximum)

Most significant life achievement – for many people, work accomplishments may not rise to this level.  Imagine if, for example, you state that boosting your organization’s bottom-line (by whatever amount) is your greatest life achievement – the adcom might wonder about your values or whether you really have a life.  If you can say that, while boosting the bottom line, you also saved jobs or lessened negative environmental impacts, that would be more substantial.

For many people, this story will be personal – I think of clients who have persevered through, managed, and overcome major family crises. For others, it will involve impact with community, religious, and/or social organizations or groups; for yet others it could involve a major milestone such as a national sports ranking or photo exhibit or music performance.

Whatever topic you select, with only 250 words, simply narrate the story and include the results or impact.  It should be perfectly clear from the content why this is indeed your most significant life achievement.

3. Leadership and ethics are inevitably intertwined in the business world. Describe a situation in which you have dealt with these issues and how they have influenced you (250 words maximum)

Again, keep the structure simple: tell the story, and end with a brief discussion of how the experience has influenced you. It may seem like a challenge to identify an experience that encompasses both leadership and ethics. However, addressing an ethics challenge will almost inherently require leadership (often informal), whether on your part or someone else’s. When you explain how it influenced you, don’t just state generalities; give a specific example.

4. Imagine a life entirely different from the one you now lead, what would it be? (250 words maximum)

This essay is an opportunity to show a different side of yourself. Describe an imagined life that reflects something meaningful to you. Make it vivid, show your passion. Note that the question does NOT ask what you would do if not your current life/role; it asks you to imagine a life. Use that openness to express your creativity, passion, and interest vividly. In doing so, however, avoid being abstract. Weave in and employ your actual knowledge and experience, e.g., if you love ballet and are an avid ballet-goer, you could build your imagined life in a way that uses your knowledge of and passion for dance. The reader would learn something interesting about you – and your prospective contribution to the social milieu of the program.

5. Please choose from one of the following essays: (250 words maximum)

a) What monument or site would you advise a first-time visitor to your country or city to discover, and why?

b)  Certain books, movies or plays have had an international success that you believe to be undeserved. Choose an example and analyse it.

c) What figure do you most admire and why? You may choose from any field (arts, literature, politics, business, etc.).

All these options are equally good – choose the one that resonates the most with you; the one that you want to answer. It’s another opportunity to showcase your interests and passions. The “why” part is key: avoid platitudes, be specific and present focused, fresh insights.

6. Is there any additional information you would like to share with us?(900 words max)

This question invites you to explain anything that needs explaining (e.g., gap in employment, choice of recommender, a bad grade, etc.) as well as to present new material that will enhance your application. If you choose to do the latter, make sure it’s a point that is essential for a clear and full picture of your candidacy. They give you a lot of words to work with; don’t think that you must use all 900!

***Disclaimer: Information is subject to change. Please check with individual programs to verify the essay questions, instructions and deadlines.***

If you would like professional guidance with your HEC MBA application, check out Accepted’s MBA essay editing and consulting or our MBA Application Packages, which include advising, editing, and interview coaching for the HEC application.  

Deadlines:

The program features rolling admissions and guarantees a response 5 weeks after the application deadline.  You can apply throughout the year, for either January or September intakes.

***These dates apply only to our January 2018 intake

Cindy Tokumitsu  has advised hundreds of successful applicants, helping them gain acceptance to top MBA and EMBA programs in her 15+ years with Accepted. She would love to help you too. Want Cindy to help you get Accepted? Click here to get in touch!

Related Resources:

• HEC Paris: Why to Go and How to Get In (podcast)

Leadership in Admissions

• 5 Fatal Flaws to Avoid in Your MBA Application Essays

Tags: MBA Admissions

The post HEC Paris MBA Essay Tips & Deadlines appeared first on Accepted Admissions Blog.
This Blog post was imported into the forum automatically. We hope you found it helpful. Please use the Kudos button if you did, or please PM/DM me if you found it disruptive and I will take care of it. -BB
Send PM
HEC Paris MBA Essay Tips & Deadlines [#permalink]
Expert Reply
FROM Accepted.com Blog: HEC Paris MBA Essay Tips & Deadlines
These essays give the adcom a well-rounded view of you – they go beyond what you’ve done to capture how you think and respond, even how you imagine. Moreover, they require you to communicate complex thoughts and experiences in few words. For the four short essays especially, don’t waste words on conventional introductory and concluding paragraphs. Jump right into your point or story, and use straightforward sentences that avoid wordy constructions (e.g. “had the opportunity to”); don’t feel shy using direct, declarative sentences. This writing approach has an added benefit: it conveys confidence. Since there are several essays, I suggest first sketching out ideas for them all, then stepping back to see how all these facets add up as a whole, and adjusting topics if/as necessary to avoid redundancy and ensure a well-rounded presentation.

Essays:

1. Why are you applying to the HEC MBA Program now? What is the professional objective that will guide your career choice after your MBA, and how will the HEC MBA contribute to the achievement of this objective? (500 words maximum)

This is a traditional goals question with a couple of twists.

• First, the “why now” part should be explicitly addressed, even if it seems obvious.  Briefly is fine – the essay overall should make this case ultimately.

• Second, the “professional objective” is essentially your long-term career vision. The question implies that this vision or goal will drive your preceding steps, so present your shorter-term goal(s) in that context: show how they pave the way for you to pursue and achieve your ultimate professional objective.

• Be brief but specific when discussing the HEC MBA – tie directly to goals, and detail the 2-3 points about the program that are most meaningful to you.

Finally, connect the dots. This essay, well done, will convey how your goals grow organically from your experience and are achievable given your past experience and an MBA from HEC.

2. What do you consider your most significant life achievement? (250 words maximum)

Most significant life achievement – for many people, work accomplishments may not rise to this level.  Imagine if, for example, you state that boosting your organization’s bottom-line (by whatever amount) is your greatest life achievement – the adcom might wonder about your values or whether you really have a life.  If you can say that, while boosting the bottom line, you also saved jobs or lessened negative environmental impacts, that would be more substantial.

For many people, this story will be personal – I think of clients who have persevered through, managed, and overcome major family crises.  For others, it will involve impact with community, religious, and/or social organizations or groups; for yet others it could involve a major milestone such as a national sports ranking or photo exhibit or music performance.

Whatever topic you select, with only 250 words, simply narrate the story and include the results or impact.  It should be perfectly clear from the content why this is indeed your most significant life achievement.

3. Leadership and ethics are inevitably intertwined in the business world. Describe a situation in which you have dealt with these issues and how they have influenced you (250 words maximum)

Again, keep the structure simple: tell the story, and end with a brief discussion of how the experience has influenced you.  It may seem like a challenge to identify an experience that encompasses both leadership and ethics.  However, addressing an ethics challenge will almost inherently require leadership (often informal), whether on your part or someone else’s. When you explain how it influenced you, don’t just state generalities; give a specific example.

4. Imagine a life entirely different from the one you now lead, what would it be? (250 words maximum)

This essay is an opportunity to show a different side of yourself. Describe an imagined life that reflects something meaningful to you. Make it vivid, show your passion. Note that the question does NOT ask what you would do if not your current life/role; it asks you to imagine a life. Use that openness to express your creativity, passion, and interest vividly. In doing so, however, avoid being abstract. Weave in and employ your actual knowledge and experience, e.g., if you love ballet and are an avid ballet-goer, you could build your imagined life in a way that uses your knowledge of and passion for dance. The reader would learn something interesting about you – and your prospective contribution to the social milieu of the program.

5. Please choose from one of the following essays: (250 words maximum)

a) What monument or site would you advise a first-time visitor to your country or city to discover, and why?

b)  Certain books, movies or plays have had an international success that you believe to be undeserved. Choose an example and analyse it.

c) What figure do you most admire and why? You may choose from any field (arts, literature, politics, business, etc.).

All these options are equally good – choose the one that resonates the most with you; the one that you want to answer. It’s another opportunity to showcase your interests and passions. The “why” part is key: avoid platitudes, be specific and present focused, fresh insights.

6. Is there any additional information you would like to share with us?(900 words max)

This question invites you to explain anything that needs explaining (e.g., gap in employment, choice of recommender, a bad grade, etc.) as well as to present new material that will enhance your application. If you choose to do the latter, make sure it’s a point that is essential for a clear and full picture of your candidacy. They give you a lot of words to work with; don’t think that you must use all 900!

***Disclaimer: Information is subject to change. Please check with individual programs to verify the essay questions, instructions and deadlines.***

If you would like professional guidance with your HEC MBA application, check out Accepted’s MBA essay editing and consulting or our MBA Application Packages, which include advising, editing, and interview coaching for the HEC application.  

Deadlines:

The program features rolling admissions and guarantees a response 5 weeks after the application deadline.  You can apply throughout the year, for either January or September intakes.

***These dates apply only to our January 2018 intake

Cindy Tokumitsu  has advised hundreds of successful applicants, helping them gain acceptance to top MBA and EMBA programs in her 15+ years with Accepted. She would love to help you too. Want Cindy to help you get Accepted? Click here to get in touch!

Related Resources:

• HEC Paris: Why to Go and How to Get In (podcast)

Leadership in Admissions

• 5 Fatal Flaws to Avoid in Your MBA Application Essays

The post HEC Paris MBA Essay Tips & Deadlines appeared first on Accepted Admissions Blog.
Send PM
What Asians Should Know When Applying to Top U.S. Business Schools [#permalink]
Expert Reply
FROM Accepted.com Blog: What Asians Should Know When Applying to Top U.S. Business Schools

Three Challenges Asian Applicants Must Overcome when applying to Top U.S. MBA Programs

When I moved to Hong Kong in 2012, I spent much of my free time advising coworkers on getting into a top U.S. business school. Combined with my experience working for MIT Sloan School of Management and recently Yale SOM, I found that understanding the challenges Asian applicants face is the key first step for them to gain admission into business school. Coming from a different cultural background will have a huge impact on your potential opportunities. However, it also presents pitfalls to avoid.

Challenge #1: Lower Acceptance Rates for Indian, Chinese and Hong Kong applicants

The Good News:

Almost all top U.S. MBA programs value diversity. Diversity adds value to the depth of classroom discussions and many schools take pride in their percentage of international students.

The Bad News:

The number of international students to top U.S. business schools varies widely by geography. Unfortunately, one of the challenges that Chinese and Indian applicants face when applying to business school is that the overall number of applicants from these regions is much larger relative to the U.S. applicant pool and other international regions. As a result, it is harder for Chinese or Indian applicants to get accepted, and acceptance rates tend to be lower for these demographics.

Challenge #2: Higher GMAT Scores

GMAT scores (on average) for Asian applicants tend to be higher than for their American counterparts. What does that mean for you as an applicant? In order to stand out among your “peer applicants,” your GMAT score has to be on par or higher than the people you compete with for a spot in the MBA class.

Challenge #3: Cultural Differences

There are significant cultural differences between Asia and the U.S. that impact the way Asian applicants should approach their business school applications.

Here are a few considerations:

• Asians cultures tend to have a greater sense of modesty than Americans. For example, resumes from Asia often don’t focus on quantifiable achievements and figures. Byincorporating achievements that are meaningful and show business impact, you (as the applicant) can take the first step in distinguishing yourself from the crowd. The most important advice in this context is write bullet points that are as specific as possible. Think about answering questions such as: What did you do and how did your actions directly improve your business, department, team, or project?

• Cultural differences often impact the essay part of the application as well. Indian applicants for example tend to be more verbose in their writing style than Americans. These patterns can frustrate the admissions reader who is typically assigned geographically and is stuck reading essay after essay with the same repetition and verbosity. You (as the applicant) can turn this pattern to your advantage by focusing on concision and precision in your essays. Write with a clear theme and structure. Don’t go off on a tangent that doesn’t support the overall theme of your essay. Avoid repetition and use of multiple synonyms.

• At the interview stage: Americans tend to maintain eye contact in conversation. Furthermore, eye contact in combination with a firm handshake, the right body language and the absence of a soft-spoken voice often signals character and trustworthiness in the Western Hemisphere. Asian applicants in contrast, most likely grew up with different cultural norms where eye contact is considered less appropriate and greetings often include a bow and a business card that has to be passed on with both hands in order to be polite. While these differences appear small, they can have a huge impact on the outcome of interviews and video formats.

What do these suggestions mean for you?

• Your application needs to stand out among a larger number of competitors, but specifically the competitors from your country or region, your direct peer group.

• You can’t just rely on a high GMAT score to gain admission to a top MBA program. There needs to be more to your story.

• Your essays need to be authentic and tell a convincing story. The most crucial piece of advice: take your application beyond your technical and quantitative expertise. You’re a person, not just a number-cruncher. Tell your story and do it well!

• Apply early, if you can.

• If you happen to be lucky enough to snag an interview, it is crucial to ace it. There are many cultural traps that can trip up highly qualified Asian candidates. Practice, practice, practice. Even better, hire someone who knows what they are doing to practice with you.

A word about MBA admissions consultants: If you opt to work with a consultant, do your due diligence and hire a consultant who understands what the U.S. MBA admissions offices are looking for and how to overcome these (and other) challenges. While it might be more comfortable and possibly cheaper for you to hire a local consultant, the easiest option isn’t often the best one. And a “cheap” one, can be very expensive in the long run.

Check out our services section to learn how one of my colleagues or I can help YOU maximize your competitive advantage and get admitted to your dream school.

Madelaine Baker has worked in the admissions offices of MIT Sloan and Yale SOM. She has an MBA from CBS and corporate banking experience in NYC and Hong Kong. Would you like Madelaine to help you get accepted? Click here to get in touch!

Related Resources:

• Stand Out! A Critical Goal for Your Application, a podcast episode

Are you selling yourself short? 

• “I’m Smart, Really I Am!” Proving Character Traits in your Essays

The post What Asians Should Know When Applying to Top U.S. Business Schools appeared first on Accepted Admissions Blog.
Send PM
One Hour to Your Best MBA Strategy [#permalink]
Expert Reply
FROM Accepted.com Blog: One Hour to Your Best MBA Strategy

If you’re thinking ahead to next year’s MBA application process, you already have some sense of the sheer volume of information out there – piles of research about individual schools, forests of career tips, and mountains of admissions advice. It’s a lot to navigate – but developing a strong strategy for your application is crucial! Applying without a sound strategy can end up causing you a lot more stress – and can lead to applying to the wrong schools, or even being dinged.

That’s why we’ve created our webinar, 7 Steps to MBA Acceptance in 2018 – a focused, goal-directed plan to get you on the road to acceptance. Guided by Accepted’s Founder, Linda Abraham, you’ll learn concrete steps you can take over the next few months to find the best MBA programs for you, strengthen your candidacy, and craft the best application possible. And because we know you’re busy, we’ve packed it all into just 1 hour.

Date: Wednesday, March 22nd

Time [2 Presentations!]: 10 am PT/ 1 pm ET and 5 pm PT/ 8 pm ET

The webinar is free, but registration is required – sign up today!

The post One Hour to Your Best MBA Strategy appeared first on Accepted Admissions Blog.
Send PM
Choosing Topics for the B-School Essay [#permalink]
Expert Reply
FROM Accepted.com Blog: Choosing Topics for the B-School Essay

“Choosing Topics For The B-School Essay” is the latest post in our series, Navigate the MBA Maze.

In your applications, the schools are attempting to get to know you through your essays. So what should you write about? Write about what is most important to you and distinctive about you. The admissions readers seek to uncover how you will contribute to their class, their program, and the diversity of their schools. By telling your story – not what you think they want to hear and not what you share with 50% of other applicants—you will reveal how you can uniquely add to their class.

For applications asking you to respond to specific questions and requesting statements of purpose, you have to first and foremost answer the question being asked. Frequently when reviewing application essays and personal statements, I read the essay first and then the question. If I can answer the question based on the essay I just read, it passes the first check. If the question asks you to discuss a failure, somewhere in that essay you must discuss a time when you really blew it. And then explore what you learned, and if appropriate, a nice dose of how you successfully handled a similar subsequent situation. But the starting point has to be an answer to the question posed.

If the question asks why you want to attend a given program, you need to provide specifics about that program that relate to your interests and goals. Don’t respond with an answer that could apply to all programs in your field. That is a non-answer, non-starter, and probable ding. Don’t tell them why you are more qualified than anyone else to attend their program. Just answer the question.

What if it’s an open-ended question with just general instructions? Then follow the general instructions and enjoy the luxury of writing about what interests you and best presents your qualifications.

When applying to business school, perform the following check before you submit your essays to an admissions committee reader:

1. Make sure your essay answers the question.

2. Make sure it answers the question as well as you can.

3. Make sure it is a coherent, articulate demonstration of your writing ability.

Related Resources:

• From Example to Exemplary

• How to Show Fit in Your Application Essays, a podcast episode

• How Do You Deal with Criticism? MBA Admissions Committees Want to Know

The post Choosing Topics for the B-School Essay appeared first on Accepted Admissions Blog.
Send PM
MBA Choices: Dream School vs. Scholarship School? [#permalink]
Expert Reply
FROM Accepted.com Blog: MBA Choices: Dream School vs. Scholarship School?

Sweet agony. You have been accepted to both your cherished top-5 reach MBA programs and a strong but less competitive school that has offered you a great scholarship. How do you choose between them?

Of course there’s no one right answer, because each person’s MBA priorities and life situation are unique. And these factors are exactly what should drive your decision.

Start with MBA priorities. Let’s assume that the curricula at the two programs both will meet your educational needs well – otherwise you wouldn’t have applied to them. That leaves other factors, mainly brand and recruiting, that will be important to you in varying degrees. In a nutshell, the key is to understand and weigh the practical advantages of the non-scholarship program to determine whether they make it worth renouncing the scholarship.

• Recruiting: how important is recruiting for your MBA plans? If it’s critically important and the non-scholarship school is far superior in this regard, then that point may strongly favor that program regardless of the other’s short-term financial advantage. In another scenario, the top-ranked program offers superior recruiting – but you have a robust industry network and can likely find yourself a desirable internship or post-MBA offer. In that case, the recruiting weighs less and the scholarship school grows relatively more attractive.

• Brand: everyone loves the glitter of a global brand. But how important is it in practical terms to your post-MBA plans? Clarify whether it’s nice-to-have, make-or-break, or something-in-between. Evaluate accordingly.

• Other school factors: Sometimes a given school’s alumni network will have special relevance, e.g., Stanford’s tech entrepreneur network.  Sometimes there is a special major such as Wharton’s healthcare concentration or special program like Chicago Booth’s Clean Tech Lab. In determining their weight in your decision, consider what practical benefit they offer you. Assess accordingly.

Finances: Finally, your own current financial situation may have a bearing. If you’re unencumbered by family financial responsibilities and have a lucrative job, you’re at greater liberty to take more risk – so even if the objective analysis doesn’t clearly favor the non-scholarship school but your heart pulls you there, maybe go for it. If you are more financially constrained, it makes sense to forego the scholarship only if the objective analysis strongly favors your dream school.

Cindy Tokumitsu has advised hundreds of successful applicants, helping them gain acceptance to top MBA and EMBA programs in her 15+ years with Accepted. She would love to help you too. Want Cindy to help you get Accepted? Click here to get in touch!

Related Resources:

• How to Pay for Your MBA, a free webinar

What You Need to Know About Finding a Job Post-MBA, a podcast episode

• Tips for Planning Your MBA Budget

The post MBA Choices: Dream School vs. Scholarship School? appeared first on Accepted Admissions Blog.
Send PM
Executive MBA Applicants: 4 Immediate Action Items [#permalink]
Expert Reply
FROM Accepted.com Blog: Executive MBA Applicants: 4 Immediate Action Items

The EMBA application process has some idiosyncrasies that, if not addressed early, can trip you up down the road, when you’re hurrying to hit “submit.”

I’ll walk you through these special preparation factors in this post. Note that they’re in addition to the preparation steps any MBA applicant should take.

1. Plan to request scheduling accommodations for your EMBA.

You may need a company sponsorship letter agreeing to accommodations even if the company isn’t offering financial sponsorship. For some applicants this is a “slam dunk” because their company regularly sponsors EMBA applicants. For others, it takes some strategy and convincing. If you’re in the latter category, start strategizing and planning now to make your case to the decision-maker. I’ve seen people finish the whole application and then face a red light at this very stage.*

2. Sketch out concrete plans that will carve out time for school in your schedule.

Even if you plan to attend a weekend-only program, and even if you are without major personal obligations, you still can’t just add hours a week on top of your current schedule without any change (and maintain excellence). Moreover, this accommodation may take some sensitive planning since it almost certainly involves other people. (Sometimes this can be a “plus” for qualified subordinates; if you must delegate more, they gain the opportunity to shoulder higher level responsibilities.)

3. Make sure your recommenders and you are on the same page about your future.

If you’re planning to stay with your current company throughout and after your MBA, your goals will necessarily include this company. Sometimes recommenders comment on your future career (either on their own initiative or in response to a question). It’s not great when your and your recommender’s ideas about your career differ!

4. Identify elements of your work that differentiate you and that will allow you to contribute distinctively to class discussions.

Your current work scenario, and your work situation over the next one to two years, is what you will directly bring to the EMBA table. Look at your experience from the perspective of someone outside it; what would be most interesting? Integrate those points into your application, ideally in the essays and resume.

Good luck with your EMBA applications! You know how volatile and uncertain your work (and life in general) can be – Start now and stay proactive in the application process. Don’t let so that unexpected developments sabotage your Executive MBA plans.

*UNC Kenan-Flagler’s website has a great resource for this process.

Related Resources:

Why MBA, Free Guide

• Executive MBA Pros & Cons

• The GMAT and EMBA Programs

The post Executive MBA Applicants: 4 Immediate Action Items appeared first on Accepted Admissions Blog.
Send PM
La Importancia del GMAT [#permalink]
Expert Reply
FROM Accepted.com Blog: La Importancia del GMAT

El GMAT (Graduate Management Admissions Test) es el examen más usado por las escuelas de negocios como requisito básico para admisión, y en base a él pronostican, junto con el rendimiento académico que hayas tenido en la universidad, cómo será tu desempeño en las clases del MBA.

Tu puntaje en el GMAT es también usado cada vez más por empleadores (mayormente consultoras y bancos de inversión) en la pre-selección de estudiantes de MBA antes de entrevistarlos, así como por organizaciones dedicadas a clasificar las escuelas de negocios en los “rankings”. Es por eso que debes tomar muy en serio tu preparación y rendimiento en este examen, y saber que si tu intensión es solicitar admisión a escuelas de negocios de alta reputación, deberás aprobar el GMAT con el mayor puntaje posible.

El examen dura aproximadamente cuatro horas, y evalúa tu habilidad cuantitativa, razonamiento crítico, y conocimiento del idioma inglés. No es un examen que se puede preparar en unos cuantos días; al contrario, la gran mayoría de mis clientes admiten haber dedicado varios meses para su preparación, y aun así, muchos lo toman dos y tres veces antes de obtener un resultado satisfactorio. Para evitar sorpresas, te recomiendo lo siguiente:

1. No esperes hasta que la fecha de aplicación se acerque. Si ya decidiste que vas a sacar un MBA en el futuro cercano, empieza a prepararte para el GMAT ahora. (Tus resultados son válidos por cinco años).

2. Separa un rato diario para prepararte, preferiblemente a la misma hora cada día. El GMAT es como prepararte para un maratón: no empiezas a entrenarte el día antes de correrlo, sino que con mucho tiempo de anticipación, sobre todo si no estás acostumbrado a correr largas distancias.

3. Acostúmbrate a practicar tus ejercicios siempre contra el reloj. Una de las quejas más comunes de los que no salen bien en el GMAT es que sabían la respuesta pero no les dió tiempo de contestarlas. Si practicas contra el reloj te acostumbrarás a pensar y contestar rápido, de tal manera que el día del examen no tendrás ese problema.

4. Toma exámenes de práctica tan frecuentemente como puedas. Al practicar con muchos exámenes te acostumbrarás al formato de las preguntas, y además esos exámenes de práctica te permitirán evaluar con objetividad tus áreas débiles y fuertes.

5. Una vez que hayas detectado tus fortalezas y debilidades, asegúrate de dedicarle más tiempo a los temas que más te cuestan. Muchas personas se engañan a sí mismas gastando tiempo en los temas que ya dominan porque eso les da un falso sentimiento de seguridad. No cometas ese error.

Estudiar para el GMAT requiere dedicación, disciplina, y mucha práctica. A menos que tengas mucha práctica con exámenes estandarizados, la mayoría de la gente solo logra un puntaje alto después de muchas horas de estudio y dedicación, pero vale la pena. Una nota alta en el GMAT significa un punto más a tu favor en la aplicación para el MBA, y también significa que podrás darte el lujo de solicitar admisión a escuelas de negocios más selectivas. También significa que tendrás una mayor probabilidad de obtener financiamiento y becas para tus estudios, y, finalmente, que te será más fácil conseguir el trabajo de tus sueños cuando te gradúes con tu MBA. Vale la pena dedicarle tiempo y esfuerzo al GMAT.

Si te gustaría tener una guía professional que te ayude con tus aplicaciones para el MBA, considera los servicios MBA essay editing o MBA Application Packages. Ambos incluyen asesoramiento general, revisión de los ensayos, entrenamiento para las entrevistas, y revisión de tu hoja de vida (Curriculum Vitae).

Por Esmeralda Cardenal, ex Directora Asociada de Admisiones de la Escuela de Negocios de Yale, ex Directora de Admisiones de MBA de Michigan State University, y consultora para Cardiff Business School en el Reino Unido. A Esmeralda le encantaría ayudarte a preparar tu solicitud de admisión al MBA de la mejor manera posible y contestar tus preguntas. Si quieres que Esmeralda te ayude a que te admitan a un programa de MBA, haz click aquí para ponerte en contacto con ella.

Related Resources:

Tu Perfil para el MBA: El Rendimiento Académico

• GMAT Study Tips (For When You Don’t Have Time to Study for the GMAT)

• Your 3-Part Plan to Dominate the GMAT, a free webinar

The post La Importancia del GMAT appeared first on Accepted Admissions Blog.
Send PM
7 Tips to Jumpstart Your 2018 MBA Mission – Ready, Set, Go! [#permalink]
Expert Reply
FROM Accepted.com Blog: 7 Tips to Jumpstart Your 2018 MBA Mission – Ready, Set, Go!

It’s not even spring yet. So why am I nagging you to get moving on your MBA application prep?

Not just because those Round 1 deadlines creep up with wicked stealth and speed. But also because there is so much you can still do between now and then to improve your candidacy (sometimes a lot, sometimes on the margins, but in this case, margins matter). Also, preparing now will enable you to apply to more programs earlier, and therefore to adjust your strategy for Round 2 if necessary.

So, what should you be doing NOW?

First, two obvious things:

1. Prepare and take the GMAT.

I’ve seen too many people leave the GMAT till late summer or early fall, get a lower score than they expect, and have to recalculate their plans. If you don’t have a GMAT score yet, NOW is the time to prepare and take the GMAT, ideally by the end of spring. Then, if your score isn’t realistic for your schools of choice, you will still have time to retake the test, reconsider your target schools, or both. And you will have it behind you when you focus on the applications.

2. Start your school research.

It’s best to visit schools when classes are in session. So NOW is the ideal time to research schools for your preliminary list. You can flip through the tips in Best MBA Programs, A Guide to Selecting the Right One to help walk you through this process. This will also get you thinking about your profile strategically.

Then there are the less obvious things:

3. Evaluate your academic record.

Is your academic record a potential weakness? There is still time (though not much) to take a relevant course or two, complete it, and report an A or two to the adcom as evidence of your ability to excel academically.

4. Sort out your recommendations.

Not sure whom to ask for recommendations? Sort it out NOW, while there’s time to weigh the pros and cons of various options, to possibly broach the issue (directly or indirectly) with people, and adapt as needed. If you already know who you’ll ask, then NOW is the time to enhance your positive visibility to them so they can’t help but write a scintillating letter.

5. Develop your leadership skills and experiences.

You can improve – deepen, broaden, refine – your leadership NOW and every day before your application. Whether or not you have a formal leadership role, you can always find ways to exercise informal leadership. And you can’t have too much leadership in an MBA application. If there isn’t space to write about it in essays, portray it in your resume.

6. Refine your goals.

Naturally, since you’re planning to apply for an MBA, you know what your goals are. But what are you going to say about them of interest? How are you going to describe your planned industry, company, function? Read books, journals, and company reports, not just the WSJ. And do informational interviews (use your undergrad alumni network). An interview needn’t be longer than 10 minutes with two good questions to be illuminating! Interesting, informed perspective on your goals will make your essay jump out from the sea of merely competent essays. But do this research NOW, to digest and integrate it well.

7. Get started on your resume.

NOW is also the perfect time to prepare or adapt your resume for business school. You can get it at least 95% done, and adjust as needed for any new developments later. This way, if you have a chance to visit or school or meet with an adcom member earlier than you planned, you’re ready.

Six months and counting to Round 1 deadlines…

Related Resources:

• MBA Action Plan: 6 Steps for the 6 Months Before You Apply

• Do You Know the 4 Factors You Need to Assess in Your MBA Profile?

An Open Letter to 2018 MBA Applicants

The post 7 Tips to Jumpstart Your 2018 MBA Mission – Ready, Set, Go! appeared first on Accepted Admissions Blog.
Send PM
Share Your Experience. Take This Survey [#permalink]
Expert Reply
FROM Accepted.com Blog: Share Your Experience. Take This Survey

Have you been accepted to b-school? Do you want to win $500?

Help others get to where you’ve gotten by sharing your experiences in the 2017 AIGAC survey. This survey is for applicants who have been admitted to one or more business schools that start Aug./Sept. 2017.

Your survey results will help everyone involved in the admissions process – from the business schools themselves to consultants like us to applicants like you.

You can read more about AIGAC (Association of International Graduate Admissions Consultants) and this survey here.

Do your part to help out those around you by taking this survey by March 17th – plus, you’ll be entered in a drawing to win $500!

The post Share Your Experience. Take This Survey appeared first on Accepted Admissions Blog.
Send PM
The Importance of Extracurriculars and Community Service [#permalink]
Expert Reply
FROM Accepted.com Blog: The Importance of Extracurriculars and Community Service

While business schools deeply value your academic background, work experience, and career progression, they also ascribe significant weight to your extracurricular and community service activities. Why? Because they want to see that you are an individual who is not just focused on work, that you have other passions, and that you will be an incredible asset to their next class.

Whether it be practicing sports, singing in your church’s choir, or helping at soup kitchens, community service and extracurricular activities are extremely important for you as an applicant beyond their feel-good value. What does being involved in this type of activity show b-schools and how will it help your case for an MBA acceptance?

1. It gives them a more holistic picture of you. You are not just the two-dimensional person going to work every day and taking it easy on the weekends. It shows them that you have other interests, and that you’re not afraid to take (mostly unpaid) responsibilities outside of your job.

2. It shows traits that would probably not come up on the rest of the application: your leadership, initiative, passion, and interpersonal skills. People that are used to acting to the benefit of others make for better team players, whether in the community or the corporate world. Those traits are indispensable in order to succeed at b-school and later on in your career.

3. Individuals who have a track record of community service, once they are in b-school, have no trouble getting involved in clubs, school initiatives and later, as alumni.

What if I Haven’t Volunteered?

What if you haven’t volunteered and you are planning to apply to business school this fall? Start today. You may think that adcoms will notice that the sudden rise in your extracurriculars and community service coincided with the time when you started preparing your applications, and you would be right. They’ll notice that, but they won’t hold it against you. If anything, it will help you.

As the saying goes, better late than never. A little bit of community service is better than no community service at all.

Why start right now? If you plan on applying to Round 1 deadlines, that would give you over six months of service. By the time the schools invite you to interview, you’d have around eight months under your belt. Those are eight months of experience and anecdotes that can bring color to your interview.  By your enrollment date, you would have done a year and a half of community work, an invaluable experience that would give you an advantage when you meet recruiters and start interviewing for internships.

What if you don’t get admitted this time around? What if you have to re-apply? No one knows what the future holds and in spite of your hard work and dedication, there’s the chance that you will get waitlisted or, heaven forbid, denied admission. In this scenario, you would have close to 20 months of community service by the time you hit your application submit button next year, and that might make the difference the second time around.

So, go and do service. You’ll become a better applicant, and most importantly, a better person for it.

By Esmeralda Cardenal, previously the Associate Director of Admissions at Yale SOM, Director of MBA Admissions at MSU Broad, and consultant at Cardiff Business School in the UK. She is happy to help you showcase your achievements in your MBA application. Want Esmeralda to help you get accepted? Click here to get in touch!

Related Resources:

Leadership in Admissions, a free guide

• It’s MBA Season: Do You Know Where Your Applications Are?, a podcast episode

What is Passion in Admissions?

The post The Importance of Extracurriculars and Community Service appeared first on Accepted Admissions Blog.
Send PM
Booth Appoints Madhav Rajan New Dean [#permalink]
Expert Reply
FROM Accepted.com Blog: Booth Appoints Madhav Rajan New Dean

Chicago Booth has just appointed a new dean, Madhav Rajan, former senior associate dean at Stanford GSB. Rajan will take his post July 1, 2017. He will succeed Sunil Kumar who was named provost of Johns Hopkins University in July 2016.

Some of Rajan’s accomplishments and past positions include:

• Currently holds the Robert K. Jaedicke Chair in Accounting at Stanford GSB

• Served as senior associate dean for academic affairs at Stanford GSB from 2010 to 2016

• Launched joint-degree programs with Stanford’s engineering school and other initiatives that integrate the business school with the rest of the university

• Has a primary research interest in the economics-based analysis of management accounting issues

• Served as editor of The Accounting Review from 2002-2008

• Co-authored Cost Accounting: A Managerial Emphasis, a leading cost accounting textbook

• Received the David W. Hauck teaching award at UPenn Wharton in 2000

• Slated to receive the Robert T. Davis Award for lifetime service and achievement at Stanford GSB

“The values I have in research and education are deeply valued at Chicago Booth,” Rajan said. “People come here to do rigorous, empirically based research and analysis, which provides the basis for a transformative student experience and an extremely effective MBA curriculum. We have an exciting opportunity to take Booth’s deep strengths and leverage them here and around the world. I am thrilled to have the chance to be dean at what is unquestionably the greatest academic business school.”

Education

• Bachelor’s degree – University of Madras, India

• PhD + 2 master’s degrees – Carnegie Mellon University

Learn more by visiting Chicago Booth’s press release.

Related Resources:

• The MBA Career Search and Life as a Chicago Booth MBA [Episode 158]

• The “Chicago (Booth) Approach”: The Three I’s

• Chicago Booth 2017 Class Profile

The post Booth Appoints Madhav Rajan New Dean appeared first on Accepted Admissions Blog.
Send PM
Writing the MBA Application Essay [#permalink]
Expert Reply
FROM Accepted.com Blog: Writing the MBA Application Essay

“Writing the MBA Application Essay” is the latest post in our series, Navigate the MBA Maze.

You’ve decided which schools to apply to, and you even know what you want to write about, but you’re staring at a blank screen…What now? Follow these three steps to write your winning essay.

Step 1: Introspection – You are the first topic you need to know. After all, the essay will be about you. What do you want to do after your MBA? Why do you want to attend this program? When have you demonstrated the qualities this school appreciates, the qualities that show you belong here? Before you introduce yourself to the adcom, you must make sure that you know yourself well.

Step 2: Write Killer Openings – Don’t get lulled into writing a generic opening. It’s easy, but lethal. Instead, think through the story you wish to tell and grab the reader’s attention by opening with a moment at the height of the action.

Step 3: Be Positive – You want to emphasize the positive: Where are you going? What do you want to accomplish? What do you like? What attracts you to business? If you are asked to write about a failure or mistake, briefly and honestly describe that experience, but spend the bulk of the essay focusing on what you learned from it and how in a similar later situation you behaved differently as a result of those lessons. Think and write positive.

Related Resources:

From Example To Exemplary, a free guide

• Writing an Opening Line That Pops

• 6 Tips for Getting Started on Your Application Essays

The post Writing the MBA Application Essay appeared first on Accepted Admissions Blog.
Send PM
The MBA Family Tree: A Roundup & Overview of Different MBA/EMBA Option [#permalink]
Expert Reply
FROM Accepted.com Blog: The MBA Family Tree: A Roundup & Overview of Different MBA/EMBA Options

At its core, the MBA is a graduate program in business administration for professionals who seek knowledge, skills, a credential, and/or a network to advance in business and to maximize their business performance. While “MBA” makes many people automatically think of a two-year, full-time program, in recent years the variations on the MBA theme have multiplied, in order to meet changing and diversifying needs and interests of students and organizations.

Are you ready to explore the various players in MBA admissions? Here’s a roundup of the main MBA options that are currently available, and their benefits and drawbacks.

Full-Time MBA Programs: This is a two-year, full-time program with an internship in the summer. It targets business (and sometimes other) professionals with roughly 3-8 years of experience. Obtaining a new position post-MBA is often a major focus of students, and recruiting by potential employers is a significant benefit of attending a full-time MBA.

• Pros: Close and sustained interaction with other full-time students, ideal for career changers, internship opportunity, strong recruiting

• Cons: Significant opportunity cost, time away from industries that are undergoing rapid change

Part-Time MBA Programs: Ideal for people who don’t want to leave their company or industry for any significant period or who can’t afford to stop working. Such programs target people who are employed full time, under the premise that students’ ongoing work will inform classroom discussion and projects. Part-time MBA students trend a little older than full-time MBA students. While these programs have traditionally served local students, increasingly they are offering varied structures and online components to attract distance students. They do not generally offer access to recruiters. Often admission is less competitive than for the same school’s full-time program, enabling part-time students to obtain a “brand” they may not qualify for otherwise.

• Pros: Can continue to work/earn, apply learning in real time, gain access to top-tier programs

• Cons: Take longer, no internship, usually no recruiting, it can be grueling to work and study simultaneously

One-Year MBA Programs: Of course, most European full-time MBA programs are one year. Some top US MBA programs, e.g., Cornell’s Johnson and Northwestern’s Kellogg, have offered one-year options for a while, and others are joining the fray as demand for such programs grows. Often these one-year programs have special requirements, such as some prior business education or an advanced degree. They are ideal for people who don’t need an internship and who have a strong base of experience; not usually the best path for career changers.

• Pros: The intensity of a full-time program with less opportunity cost, usually regular recruiting, ability to quickly rejoin a fast-moving industry

• Cons: No conventional internship, less time to network with students and faculty

Executive MBA Programs: EMBAs are part-time programs targeting seasoned managers and entrepreneurs, typically people in their mid-thirties to late forties (depending on the program) whose rise to senior manager level is imminent or who are already in senior management. There is range within this category in terms of desired/required length of experience. While coursework covers the same topics as regular MBA programs, it’s developed and presented with the higher level perspective. A great benefit of EMBA programs is the chance to network and form relationships with peers from a variety of industries and functions at a career phase when a fresh perspective is quite valuable but sometimes hard to obtain. These programs don’t target career changers, but are increasingly used by and open to them, even though most EMBA programs don’t offer formal recruiting.

• Pros: Can apply learning immediately at work, breadth of exposure at a pivotal professional moment, valuable credential

• Cons: Challenge of school plus demanding career and personal/family responsibilities, usually no formal recruiting for career changers

Specialized MBA Programs: These programs offer the MBA course with a focus on a specific industry or function; there are such options among both regular and executive MBA programs. They vary in their formats and approaches. Boston University’s Public & Nonprofit MBA is an example of a two-year specialized MBA; UC Irvine’s Health Care Executive MBA (HCEMBA) is an example of a specialized EMBA. The Cornell Tech MBA is an example of a one-year specialized MBA.

• Pros: Intensive focus on area of interest with coursework adapted accordingly, network of colleagues with related experience and goals

• Cons: Missing out on the diverse perspectives from other industries/sectors that can refresh and invigorate your thinking

While you can’t apply to two different types of MBA programs at the same school in the same admissions cycle, you can do so in different cycles. And you can apply to different types of programs at different schools at the same time. For example, if someone is between regular and executive MBA in terms of age or length of experience, they could apply to some regular MBAs that trend older and some exec MBAs that trend younger. Or someone may apply to full-time MBA programs but also apply to a part-time program nearby as an acceptable back-up.

Please do keep in mind, and address in your application, the nuances of the type of MBA as well as the particular program!

Cindy Tokumitsu has advised hundreds of successful applicants, helping them gain acceptance to top MBA and EMBA programs in her 15+ years with Accepted. She would love to help you too. Want Cindy to help you get Accepted? Click here to get in touch!

Related Resources:

Ace the EMBA, a free guide

• Navigate the MBA Admissions Maze, a free guide

• Tips for Applying to Part-Time MBA Programs

The post The MBA Family Tree: A Roundup & Overview of Different MBA/EMBA Options appeared first on Accepted Admissions Blog.
Send PM
How Much Time You Need to Study for the GRE? [#permalink]
Expert Reply
FROM Accepted.com Blog: How Much Time You Need to Study for the GRE?

How much time do you need to study for the GRE? That’s not exactly a simple question. But today, I can help you get to the answer.

How Much GRE Prep Time do You Need? Know Yourself.

Who are you? It’s a huge question, perhaps best left to philosophers. But who are you as a GRE student? That’s a little easier to answer.

Knowing yourself as a GRE student is a two-step process.

Your first step? Take a mock GRE exam or two, and look at your practice scores. You can find good mock GRE tests online through GRE PowerPrep, and through reputable services like Magoosh GRE.

Your mock test results will show you where your GRE skills are right now. If you’re already in or near your target score range, that’s great! In that case, your GRE prep probably won’t be all that time-consuming.

However, if you’re like most GRE preppers, your target score probably isn’t in reach just yet. Look at how you did in each section of your practice GRE. Typically, you’ll be stronger in some sections than others. You’ll need enough prep time to reach your goals in every section.

Now you can go to step 2 of knowing yourself: figuring out how much spare time you have. Take a careful look at your responsibilities and your daily schedule. How many hours do you have each day for GRE studies? The less time you have per day, the more weeks you’ll need to spend prepping. On the other hand, if you’ve got all day to study, your prep timeline can be shorter.

So, Exactly How Much Time Will You Need? Make Some Plans.

You’ve learned your GRE weaknesses, and you’ve figured out how much time you have to work on them each day. Next, you should make a specific study plan, and map out your exact timetable.

Here, Magoosh GRE can help you in quite a few ways. Are you looking for a GRE workbook to guide your studies? Check out our list of the best GRE books. Want to see an example timetable that meets your study needs? Browse our various GRE study plans. By knowing yourself and using some good GRE guides, you can figure out exactly how much time you’ll need to get your target score.

Or at least, you’ll know almost the exact time you need. Remember, a good time table is a flexible one. If you master a skill faster than you thought you would, you can get ahead of schedule. And you should also be willing to put in some extra study time if you come across something that’s harder than you thought it would be. To manage your GRE study time well, know yourself, know the test, and approach your studies with an open mind.

David Recine is a test prep expert at Magoosh. He has a Bachelor of Social Work from the University of Wisconsin-Eau Claire and a Masters in Teaching English to Speakers of other Languages from the University of Wisconsin-River Falls. He has been teaching K-12, University, and adult education classes since 2007 and has worked with students from every continent.

Related Resources:

• Get Your Game On: Prepping For Your Grad School Application

• Making Friends With the GRE: How To Overcome Test Anxiety and Perform at Your Best

• Where to Find Good GRE Practice Questions

Tags: Grad School Admissions, MBA Admissions

The post How Much Time You Need to Study for the GRE? appeared first on Accepted Admissions Blog.
Send PM
Do You Know the Seven Steps to MBA Acceptance? [#permalink]
Expert Reply
FROM Accepted.com Blog: Do You Know the Seven Steps to MBA Acceptance?

We know that if you’re gearing up for an MBA application next year, you have a lot on your plate: pursuing your career, prepping for the GMAT, participating in community initiatives, spending time with family and friends, and even carving out a little time for hobbies and personal interests. We get it: it’s hectic! Getting information on how to start your MBA journey shouldn’t add to your stress. That’s why we’ve packed as much value as possible into our upcoming webinar, 7 Steps to MBA Acceptance in 2018! You’ll learn specific steps you can take to enhance your strengths, mitigate your weaknesses, and create a winning application.

Register today – there’s still time!

Date: Wednesday, March 22nd

2 Live Presentations! 10 am PT/ 1 pm ET and 5 pm PT/ 8 pm ET

The post Do You Know the Seven Steps to MBA Acceptance? appeared first on Accepted Admissions Blog.
GMAT Club Bot
Do You Know the Seven Steps to MBA Acceptance? [#permalink]
   1  ...  52   53   54   55   56  ...  122