Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 13:58 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 13:58

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
MBA Admissions Consultant
Own Kudos [?]: 844 [0]
Given Kudos: 92
Send PM
Send PM
Send PM
Send PM
Admissions Consulting Services Price Increase Ahead: Shop Now & Save! [#permalink]
Expert Reply
FROM Accepted.com Blog: Admissions Consulting Services Price Increase Ahead: Shop Now & Save!

Fall and winter application deadlines can sound comfortably far off when you start your application research, but by late August, they can start to loom stressfully near!

And at the beginning of August, our prices are going up.

If you purchase before Wednesday, August 1st (that’s next week!), you’ll lock in our current rates for whichever package you choose. So contact us now to determine which service is the best fit for your needs. You’ll be matched with a consultant who can assist you with any part of the application process – from brainstorming and selecting target programs, to reviewing statements of purpose, to prepping for interviews. We’ve coached applicants to success at top programs in every field. Contact us to be matched with your consultant – and beat our price increase!

Tags: Admissions Consulting, College Admissions, Grad School Admissions, Law School Admissions, MBA Admissions, Medical School Admissions

The post Admissions Consulting Services Price Increase Ahead: Shop Now & Save! appeared first on Accepted Admissions Blog.
This Blog post was imported into the forum automatically. We hope you found it helpful. Please use the Kudos button if you did, or please PM/DM me if you found it disruptive and I will take care of it. -BB
Send PM
What Does “At The Very Center of Business” Mean for Columbia Business [#permalink]
Expert Reply
FROM Accepted.com Blog: What Does “At The Very Center of Business” Mean for Columbia Business School Applicants?

Columbia Business School Essay 2 asks you to watch a short video entitled, “How will you take advantage of being at the very center of business?” The application then asks you to write the answer in 250 words or fewer. The video and the essay question have enabled Columbia to secure its brand and market share.

Over the years, Columbia strayed from and returned to its core strength: its geographic location and unparalleled access to the New York business community. Therefore, in applying to CBS, you need to understand the underpinnings behind the school’s core strength. You need to venture beyond their video, outside their website and even further than a planned (by admissions) school visit. You need to speak with students and alumni and discover what makes Columbia tick. And when you do, you will come away with an understanding that CBS is just like New York: historical, large, gritty, and filled with surprises. It doesn’t coddle its students, and its students don’t expect to be coddled. They are smart, resourceful, and assertive.

So what does it mean to be at the very center of business? Well, you have the usual suspects: access to corporate world headquarters, brown bags with executives, subway rides to everything. But I ask you, where else can you have an accidental meeting at a cultural event with the Morgan Stanley’s CEO, James Gorman or award-winning entertainer and entrepreneur Dr. Dre? And if you are very lucky, a class “talk” with the one and only, Warren Buffet?

Columbia wants its students to embrace New York and at the same time not allow the abundance of everything to intimidate them. Years ago, I watched a Columbia Business School PowerPoint presentation (I did mention that this was years ago…right?). The closing slide displayed a world map. The Columbia campus was superimposed on a big red apple that spread over half the Atlantic Ocean and an arrow pointing to the apple as the “Center of the World.” I keep that image in my mind as I offer my Accepted clients my best rendition of the song, New York, New York, “if you can make it there, you can make it anywhere” (High kicks and all. Fortunately, they can’t see me when I dance).

As a former admissions dean and director, I would expect to see an answer to that essay that would enable me to identify (and admit) people who thrive in the hustle bustle of New York. I would want my applicants to capture the energy of the city that never sleeps. I would hope that the applicant understands the living laboratory we fondly call, “The City” and CBS’ place in that city (both inside and outside the classroom). All in 250 words or fewer. At the same time, I would filter out students who would be intimidated by New York. I would want my students to love their NYC experience: rats, roaches and all.

You have what it takes to get into Columbia Business School – you just need to prove it to the admissions committee. And Accepted can help! Check out our MBA Admissions Services and work one-on-one with an expert advisor who will help you get ACCEPTED.

By Natalie Grinblatt Epstein, an accomplished Accepted consultant/editor (since 2008) and entrepreneur. Natalie is a former MBA Admissions Dean and Director at Ross, Johnson, and Carey. Want Natalie to help you get accepted to business school? Click here to get in touch!

Related Resources:

• Leadership in Admissions, a free guide

• Columbia Business School MBA Essay Tips & Deadlines

The MBA Menu at Columbia Business School, a podcast episode

Tags: MBA Admissions

The post What Does “At The Very Center of Business” Mean for Columbia Business School Applicants? appeared first on Accepted Admissions Blog.
This Blog post was imported into the forum automatically. We hope you found it helpful. Please use the Kudos button if you did, or please PM/DM me if you found it disruptive and I will take care of it. -BB
Send PM
The Best Thing You Can Do This Week for Your Stanford MBA App [#permalink]
Expert Reply
FROM Accepted.com Blog: The Best Thing You Can Do This Week for Your Stanford MBA App

You can’t apply to Stanford GSB at the last minute without any hard work and consideration – at least, you really shouldn’t if you hope to get accepted. But you can still make a last-minute decision to attend our free, live webinar, Get Accepted to Stanford GSB. With the strategies you’ll learn at the webinar, you’ll be prepared to craft a thoughtful, stand-out application.

We know you’re busy – and that you’re already getting a lot of information about admissions. Cut through the noise and learn clear, proven strategies for application success – strategies we’ve seen work again and again.

Register now for Get Accepted to Stanford GSB and save the date: Wednesday, July 25th at either 10am PT/1pm ET or 5pm PT/8pm ET (choose the best time for you).

Register Now:

The post The Best Thing You Can Do This Week for Your Stanford MBA App appeared first on Accepted Admissions Blog.
Send PM
From Hospitality to Kellogg MBA to Accepted MBA Admissions Consultant [#permalink]
Expert Reply
FROM Accepted.com Blog: From Hospitality to Kellogg MBA to Accepted MBA Admissions Consultant

Hospitality to Kellogg MBA [Show Summary]
Libby Angst is a 2018 graduate of the Kellogg MBA program and Accepted’s newest MBA admissions consultant. Libby shares her experience in the hospitality industry, her motivations behind her job changes, her decision to pursue an MBA and what she thought was most valuable in the Kellogg MBA program. Along the way she also shares insights into the unique qualities of the hospitality industry and in the Kellogg MBA program as well as the lessons she learned as Co-Chair of The Kellogg Student MBA Admissions Committee.

Interview with Libby Angst [Show Notes]
Can you tell us a little about your background and where you grew up? [1:56]
I grew up in a suburb 45 minutes north of Chicago. I went to a high school with over 1,000 students in my graduating class, so with a class so big it was important for me to find a niche. Mine was the tennis team, volunteering with organizations around Chicago, and my big activity was policy debating on a national circuit with my high school varsity debate team before I ended up going to Northwestern for undergrad.

You worked in the hospitality industry before joining Kellogg. How did you choose that industry to launch your professional career? [2:50]
During high school and college I always had odd jobs in the service industry. One of them was working at a high-end boutique folding and selling clothes, and I also worked as a tennis instructor for a nearby country club, so both required me to deliver a high level of service to discerning customers in my teenage, formative years. Additionally, in college I developed a passion for traveling after studying abroad in Madrid my junior year, my first trip to Europe. After I got back I really wanted to learn the ins and outs of the hotel industry from a highly regarded luxury chain, so luckily Four Seasons Hotels and Resorts had a worldwide sales office that hired me as an intern for two summers.

Why did you choose to work for TravelClick, and then why did you decide to earn an MBA? [4:05]
I had been working for Four Seasons in their property in Palo Alto, and I began using a lot of the TravelClick products to help me achieve my sales goals. A lot of them were benchmarking our performance against competitive sets – I used the tools to figure out what times of year I could charge higher rates for my corporate and group clients in order to reach my goals. After a number of years using their products I had developed a relationship with our TravelClick representative, and began exploring opportunities at that company in a sales role where I could work with large hotel chains to share how TravelClick products could add value to their companies.

While I was at TravelClick working with the large hotel brands I began working a lot with asset managers. I realized the real estate side of the hotel business was not something I knew too much about, but was probably one of the most important things to know to progress my career in the travel industry. So after working at TravelClick for two years I decided I needed to learn more about business. With a liberal arts background I didn’t have the skillset, particularly in finance, that I needed so I decided to earn an MBA in order to transition into the business side to progress my career.

What do you think are some of the more distinctive elements of the hospitality and travel industries? [6:30]
The industry feels immediate impacts from the economy. Hotels are signing essentially 24 hour lease agreements and are extremely sensitive to things going on in the economy. The wellbeing of a hotel could shift quite literally from month to month based on how the economy is doing. So one of the things hotels really need to do is have a very firm grasp on what is happening on the micro level with the economy and then also be tuned into what is happening in the international travel industry as well, since a lot of travelers are coming from outside of the United States, including Europe and China, who are seeing robust changes in growth in transient travel in the middle class. Also in the travel industry, you need to be in tune with the changing desires of customers as they travel, changing from wanting to have private spaces and loads of individual amenities to people looking to smaller spaces and more shared communal amenities, or new things like AirBnB.

Why did you pick Kellogg? [8:49]
There were a few reasons. The first is I wanted to work my way back to Chicago after having lived in San Francisco, Palo Alto, and New York City, so I was looking to come back to the Midwest, and the second reason why is because of the Guthrie Center for Real Estate, which I knew would support me entering the hotel real estate industry, with access to connected and highly influential alumni, a rigorous curriculum, and allow me to get up to speed with everything I needed to know. Also, each time I visited campus and talked with students I admired, they were always low key but high impact, humble about their achievements. They were the type of classmates I wanted to surround myself with when thinking about MBA programs.

As a liberal arts major, did you have any difficulty with the math requirements? [10:36]
Yes, it wasn’t something I couldn’t overcome, but I did find myself struggling to master concepts at the same speed as many of my other classmates with finance backgrounds. I definitely had to put in more effort than a mathematically-minded student had to.

Any advantages/disadvantages that you see to attending the same program for both undergrad and grad? [12:34]
I think a strong advantage is that you add to the already strong connections you have with your undergrad alma mater. I always felt during my time at Kellogg an enormous sense of pride that I had gone to Northwestern as well, so it reinforces the connection. A disadvantage is you are not going to give yourself the opportunity to live in and experience a different city if you go to the same place. For me this was less of an issue since I was looking to get back to Chicago after having lived in San Francisco and New York after undergrad, but I think this might be something to consider if you are a potential MBA applicant who hasn’t left the city where you did your undergrad. It might be a good thing to think about – experiencing a different city, and meeting new people.

What did you like best about the Kellogg MBA program? [15:59]
One of the things is the Kellogg Board Fellows program that I was a part of while there. The program gives candidates the opportunity to serve on a board of a local nonprofit in the Chicago area. Matching is based on strengths and interests, and for me I was paired with a nonprofit called The Night Ministry, which provides healthcare, housing, and human connection to the homeless in Chicago. This program couples a classroom experience where you learn about board governance over the course of two years with a seat on the board of a nonprofit. So I attended board meetings, sub-committee meetings, and worked on a project of value to the organization, which was a financial analysis of one of their programs to help assess costs for the next fiscal year. I found the work incredibly rewarding and coming out of the program I knew the experience would further my professional career and allow me to provide service to a nonprofit, which was really important for the person I wanted to be after leaving Kellogg.

What could be improved? [18:20]
To be honest I left the program pretty satisfied, but there is always room for improvement. The one thing that comes to the top of my mind is they could have done a better job of outlining ways to prepare students for recruitment prior to getting to Evanston. What I mean by this is, I think that you are told as an incoming student you will be pulled in a million different directions, but you aren’t as prepared as you should be with the recruiting process which starts almost immediately once you get to campus. Kellogg works on a quarter system so the program starts later than a lot of other programs that typically start in August. Kellogg doesn’t get into full swing until the middle of September, and by that time companies have already gone to a lot of campuses and begun recruiting events, dinners, and workshops for students. If Kellogg had outlined how students could utilize some of their downtime in the summer if they took the summer off to focus on getting help with their resume, or with interview questions and case prep, that would have been a very beneficial way to prepare people before coming to campus.

How did you decide to serve on the student admissions committee and what did you do a as a part of it? [20:56]
From day one Kellogg really encourages students to get involved with giving back to the school in whatever form that works for them. For me that was becoming a student reader with admissions, and giving the student perspective on whether or not a candidate would enhance the experience for everyone at Kellogg. As part of that I received training in my first year on how Kellogg evaluates applicants, specific leadership coursework and intellectual qualities that set people up for success, and then throughout the year I was reading applications and providing my feedback.

What surprised you about that experience? [22:26]
There were a few things. The first was that you always know applying to business school is a very competitive process when you see the acceptance rates, but actually reading the applications and seeing the high number of quality applicants really surprised me. I knew the bar was high, but I didn’t know how high it really was. Up until that point I had seen my application and a few of my friends, but the applicant pool is really competitive. The second thing that surprised me was the high number of international students applying from all over the world and seeing how different their work experience, undergrad, and extracurricular experiences were compared to what I had done in the US, as well as how many things were similar.

Why did you choose this particular way to give back? [23:51]
It is tied back to the fact that I went to Northwestern as an undergrad. I always felt very connected to the university and know how important it is to find people who are a good fit, because then you see them continually giving back to the ecosystem. I wanted to give feedback to the school and find applicants meant to be at Kellogg.

What did you learn as a result of the experience about admissions that you didn’t really understand before you served on the committee? [25:25]
One thing I learned is that the application pool is so competitive that the applicants really fall into two buckets: one is the group just barely making it into the program and the other is the group just barely not making it into the program, so I think what I really learned from serving on the admissions committee there is that there is not a lot of room, if any, for error with your application since so many are falling so close to the middle.

What do you like to do for fun? [26:29]
I still do like to play tennis, and now that I am back in the Midwest I am playing paddle tennis. I also love to read about and make espresso drinks. I am a self-taught barista taking classes on latte art and have just finished a book called the Monk of Mokha about the Yemeni coffee industry.

What do you wish I had asked you? [27:12]
The coursework at Kellogg or anything outside of my extracurriculars that I found to be particularly meaningful while in the program. For me one of the most rewarding and fun experiences was being part of an immersive global program called GIM China, which was the opportunity for students to take a class about an emerging market and be assigned a project to research and then go to the country for two weeks over spring break. I did a feasibility study on eco-tourism to determine whether that would be viable in a country with so many people and struggling with so many environmental issues. We spent two weeks on a trip completely organized by Kellogg across five different cities in China. We were responsible for setting up interviews with local businesspeople in China and then putting together a research paper about the topic, and it was one of the most fun and defining experiences in the program because it exposed me to a culture I didn’t know that much about. Furthermore the class was filled with 25 students I didn’t know all that well, which gave me the opportunity to get to know 25 classmates in a different way.

Related Links:

• Libby Angst’s Bio

Contact Libby Angst

MBA Admissions Consulting Services

Related Shows:

Early Career Management and European MBA Programs with Jamie Wright

Want a Kellogg MBA?

Subscribe:

Podcast Feed

Tags: Admissions Straight Talk, MBA Admissions

The post From Hospitality to Kellogg MBA to Accepted MBA Admissions Consultant [Episode 269] appeared first on Accepted Admissions Blog.
Send PM
No Time to Waste: Admissions Consulting Price Increase Ahead! [#permalink]
Expert Reply
FROM Accepted.com Blog: No Time to Waste: Admissions Consulting Price Increase Ahead!

One of the keys for application success is having a strategy. And a key part of a successful strategy is staying on top of your timeline.

With deadlines for so many programs coming up between October and January, late summer is an ideal time to get serious about your applications. Another reason why there’s no time to waste: our prices are going up next week on Wednesday, August 1st. Contact us now to determine which service best fits your needs and we’ll lock in all pre-August orders at our current pre-increase rates!

With deadlines approaching fast, and our prices increasing at the beginning of next month, there’s no time to lose! Contact us now to be matched with your consultant.

Tags: Admissions Consulting, College Admissions, Grad School Admissions, Law School Admissions, MBA Admissions, Medical School Admissions

The post No Time to Waste: Admissions Consulting Price Increase Ahead! appeared first on Accepted Admissions Blog.
Send PM
Women Considering an MBA: Be Sure to Attend a Forte Forum! [#permalink]
Expert Reply
FROM Accepted.com Blog: Women Considering an MBA: Be Sure to Attend a Forte Forum!

Future female MBAs, listen up! Forté Foundation is proud to announce the schedule for the 13th annual Forté Forums.

Forté Forums are designed to empower you with information about how an MBA can propel your career forward. You will gain an opportunity to speak with representatives, alumnae, and students from top b-schools in North America and Europe, and to learn how an MBA can help shape your future career in business. You’ll also gain insights into the business school admissions process.

Here is the 2018 Forte Forums schedule:

City
Date

Washington, DC
Monday, August 13

Boston
Tuesday, August 14

Atlanta
Wednesday, August 15

Miami
Thursday, August 16

Seattle
Friday, August 17

San Francisco
Tuesday, August 21

Los Angeles
Wednesday, August 22

Houston
Thursday, August 23

Chicago
Monday, August 27

New York 1
Tuesday, August 28

New York 2
Wednesday, August 29

Toronto
Thursday, August 30

London
Tuesday, October 9

Check out Forté’s website to register and find out which top schools will be represented and more benefits of attending an event!

Related Resources:

Why MBA?, a free guide to writing about your MBA goals

Can The Consortium and Forte Foundation Boost Your Goals?, an MBA student interview

• How Forté Helps Women Get into Business and Stay in Business, a podcast episode

The post Women Considering an MBA: Be Sure to Attend a Forte Forum! appeared first on Accepted Admissions Blog.
Send PM
Welcome to the Accepted Family, Jamie Wright! [#permalink]
Expert Reply
FROM Accepted.com Blog: Welcome to the Accepted Family, Jamie Wright!

The team at Accepted is happy to welcome Jamie Wright as a new consultant.

Jamie had been working at London Business School (LBS) since 2009 and quickly became the Client Services Manager for their Masters in Management (MiM) program. She was the first person that anyone interested in applying to the MiM program contacted. Meeting these candidates so early in the process allowed her to form relationships with many candidates who eventually became students in the program.

Successfully guiding young people through their application process was very rewarding for Jamie. She continued to be an advisor throughout her career at LBS, a role that allowed her to meet with applicants to the Early Careers, MBA, Masters in Finance, and Executive MBA programs. She also served as Senior Recruitment and Admissions Manager, and finally as Early Careers’ first Admissions Director. In all her positions at LBS she was able to learn about students from around the world – what brought them to LBS and where they say themselves in the future. Jamie also had the opportunity to meet prospective students in her travels to the U.S., Canada, China, and Europe. And she made it her business to learn about London Business Schools’ competitors.

Jamie sees more business schools using a holistic approach to admissions. They want to be sure that in addition to a proven academic track record, evidenced most frequently by your GPA and GMAT/GRE scores, you will fit in with the other students at the school, and that you are passionate about attending their program. They want to be sure that they can help you realize your professional ambitions.

Jamie sees her current role at Accepted as one where she makes the application process as stress-free and effective as possible. She strives to make sure that you understand what the admissions committee is looking for – and that you provide it. She feels that applying to business school should be an exciting experience and completing all the parts of your application should underscore the correctness of your decision to pursue this path. Jamie wants to help you convey your personal story in a way that will make your dream school want you as part of their incoming class.

Welcome to the team, Jamie!

Tags: Grad School Admissions, MBA Admissions

The post Welcome to the Accepted Family, Jamie Wright! appeared first on Accepted Admissions Blog.
Send PM
Kellogg Executive MBA Application Essay Tips & Deadlines [#permalink]
Expert Reply
FROM Accepted.com Blog: Kellogg Executive MBA Application Essay Tips & Deadlines

Kellogg’s 2 required EMBA application essay questions present a paradox: they’re straightforward and complex. Together, they draw out a holistic view of you as a person and as a professional, including what you’ve done and also how you think and perceive. To the extent possible, ground your essays in detail and concrete experience, and use reflection as the thread weaving those details and experiences into a vivid whole.

There is some potential overlap between the 2 questions, so I suggest outlining your Kellogg Executive MBA essays before drafting, which will prompt you to decide before writing how you will organize your discussion points, particularly around why you want to attend Kellogg.

Kellogg EMBA 2018-19 Application Essays
Instructions: Please include the essay prompt in bold at the top of the page. Please use 12-point Times New Roman font, line spacing at 1.5 lines and 1-inch margins.

Kellogg Executive MBA Essay #1
What do you want to achieve in your professional life? What have you already done to get there and how do you think Kellogg can help you? (approximately 450 words)

“What you want to achieve” means your career vision; therefore, discuss the impact you hope to have. Support this vision by describing your goals in specific terms: likely positions, which company or companies, desired location, and some mention of related context, e.g. anticipated challenges you or your organization may face, your take on industry trends and how they affect your goals, and so forth. Then connect the dots: explain how this stated path will enable you to achieve the vision.

In asking what you have already done to pursue these goals, the adcom is essentially seeking evidence that you are truly committed to this career. Answering this part allows you to show that you are proactive, strategic, and resourceful. Don’t cite everything you’ve done in this regard, but rather identify the 2-3 most important things – and what you gained from them. In discussing why Kellogg will be the next important step on that path, link the resources of the Kellogg EMBA to the specific learning and professional needs arising from your planned path. (And keep in mind essay 2, to avoid redundancy.)

Kellogg Executive MBA Essay #2
What is Kellogg’s value proposition for you and how will you make Kellogg stronger by being part of our community? (approximately 450 words)

This question addresses – and reveals – how you think, essentially. A poor answer selects a quality of Kellogg EMBA (e.g., commitment to diversity) and heaps praise on it. Rather, identify one or two of Kellogg’s characteristics or programs, and then link it to your own experience and goals to show how and why it’s valuable to you. The adcom already knows how great the program is; they don’t yet know you, and and a good response will help them do so.

Your potential contributions can reference your experience from work or outside work; think of what about you would be most meaningful and interesting to prospective EMBA classmates. This element of your response is an opportunity to show that you understand the program.

Kellogg Executive MBA Optional Essay
If needed, use this section to briefly describe any extenuating circumstances (e.g. unexplained gaps in work experience, choice of recommenders, inconsistent or questionable academic performance, etc.).

This question explicitly limits the potential topics to extenuating circumstances, so don’t use it to further market yourself by presenting new material to enhance your application. If you do not have extenuating circumstances, do not write the essay. If you do need to provide context for something, present it succinctly and straightforwardly.

If you would like professional guidance with your Kellogg Executive MBA application, check out Accepted’s MBA Application Package, which includes advising, editing, interview coaching, and a resume edit for the Kellogg EMBA application.

Kellogg Executive MBA Application Deadlines for January 2019 Start

Round 1 
August 22, 2018

Round 2 
October 10, 2018

***Disclaimer: Information is subject to change. Please check with individual programs to verify the essay questions, instructions and deadlines.***

Cindy Tokumitsu has advised hundreds of successful applicants, helping them gain acceptance to top MBA and EMBA programs in her 15+ years with Accepted. She would love to help you too. Want Cindy to help you get Accepted? Click here to get in touch!

Related Resources:

The Expanded Executive MBA Profile, a series for the rising executive

5 Key Elements for Your Executive MBA Application, a short video

School-Specific Executive MBA Essay Tips

The post Kellogg Executive MBA Application Essay Tips & Deadlines appeared first on Accepted Admissions Blog.
Send PM
Act Fast to Beat Tomorrow’s Price Increase! [#permalink]
Expert Reply
FROM Accepted.com Blog: Act Fast to Beat Tomorrow’s Price Increase!

OK: you’ve made the big decision – you’re going to apply. We know you didn’t make this choice lightly – after all, going to grad school is a big investment in your dreams of the future.

Click here to get started >>

Whether those dreams involve creating new technologies, building new companies, teaching the next generation of scholars, caring for the ill, advocating for people’s rights, or anything else that’s in the realm of your imagination…in order to take the next step, you need to get accepted to the right program for you. That takes hard work and an effective application strategy.

That’s where we can help you. And Accepted can help.

With our services, you’ll work one-on-one with an admissions expert who will be by your side throughout the admissions process. From consulting on school selection, to reviewing statements of purpose and CVs, to prepping for interviews, to helping you choose among multiple acceptances – we’ve coached thousands of students like you to success at elite programs.

Not only is this a great time of year to start working on applications with fall and winter deadlines, but if you purchase before TOMORROW (Wednesday, August 1st), you’ll beat our price increase. Contact us today to be matched with a consultant!

The post Act Fast to Beat Tomorrow’s Price Increase! appeared first on Accepted Admissions Blog.
Send PM
Don’t Miss Your Chance for an Inside Look at Columbia Business School! [#permalink]
Expert Reply
FROM Accepted.com Blog: Don’t Miss Your Chance for an Inside Look at Columbia Business School!

Columbia Business School. It’s “At the Very Center of Business” – and its graduates go on to accomplish amazing achievements across a dazzling variety of fields and functions.

It’s also very competitive and turns away more than 80% of those who apply. Those successful applicants who become CBS students are driven, entrepreneurial, and very smart. Are you ready to join them?

If you intend to do just that,join us for a video AMA – Ask Me Anything – on August 8, 2018  at 10:00 AM PT/1 PM ET with Emily French Thomas, Director of Admissions at Columbia Business School. She’ll share her insider perspective on the admissions process and on what Columbia is looking for. And – most exciting! – she’ll take your questions. The event will be moderated by Accepted founder Linda Abraham, so you’ll get a double-dose of admissions expertise!

Register today to reserve your spot.

Register Now:

The post Don’t Miss Your Chance for an Inside Look at Columbia Business School! appeared first on Accepted Admissions Blog.
Send PM
Get Accepted to Stanford GSB: Watch Webinar Now! [#permalink]
Expert Reply
FROM Accepted.com Blog: Get Accepted to Stanford GSB: Watch Webinar Now!

If you missed Get Accepted to Stanford GSB or if you’d like to view it again, the webinar is now available on-demand.

As you prepare for next season’s applications, learn the key strategies you need to approach Stanford’s application successfully. How can you show that you’re a perfect fit? How can you ensure your application will stand out? How can you give yourself the best possible chance of acceptance?

Let Accepted’s Founder Linda Abraham provide you with a proven strategic framework for a successful application. View the webinar now.

The post Get Accepted to Stanford GSB: Watch Webinar Now! appeared first on Accepted Admissions Blog.
Send PM
Welcome to the Team, Dr. Jef Davis! [#permalink]
Expert Reply
FROM Accepted.com Blog: Welcome to the Team, Dr. Jef Davis!

We’re excited to welcome Dr. Jef Davis to our staff.

Dr. Davis has worked for almost 30 years in international program management at the university level as chief immigration official at several schools. While at Youngstown State University, Jef also supervised the English Language Institute and other programs for international students. He has taught academic classes and English as a Second Language. Jef has travelled to more than 30 countries for his work.

Dr. Davis has served as a consultant and trainer on topics related to international admissions, immigration policy, intercultural effectiveness, and data analysis with such institutions as the US Immigration and Naturalization Service (INS), the New England Association of Schools and Colleges (NEASC), the Wharton School of Business, and the Eller College of Management.

Assisting international students, minorities, and applicants from underprivileged homes gain acceptance to the most competitive undergraduate and graduate programs – especially in business, engineering, and natural sciences – is Dr. Davis’ specialty.

His educational background provided an outstanding foundation for his career and current work. Dr. Davis earned his bachelor’s degree is in biology from University of Akron, where he also minored in philosophy. He then earned a Masters degree in Student Personnel Administration in Higher Education from Ball State and a graduate certificate in Teaching English to Speakers of Other Languages (TESOL) from Clark University. Jef completed is education by earning a PhD in International Higher Education from Boston College.

Welcome to Accepted, Jef! We’re so happy to have you as part of the team.

Tags: College Admissions, Grad School Admissions, MBA Admissions

The post Welcome to the Team, Dr. Jef Davis! appeared first on Accepted Admissions Blog.
Send PM
Columbia EMBA Application Essay Tips & Deadlines [#permalink]
Expert Reply
FROM Accepted.com Blog: Columbia EMBA Application Essay Tips & Deadlines

The first 2 Columbia EMBA essay questions ask you to project into the future, both near and long term – they address what you hope, plan, want, and expect. The third essay question looks back: it gets into the nitty-gritty of what you did.

In the first essays, beware of the tendency to write mainly generic, abstract “stuff”: ideas, thoughts, buzz words. Even though not specified in the question, grounding those essays in your experience is the key to making them credible and dynamic.

And in the third essay, beware of only telling the facts of the story: Columbia wants people with something to say about their experiences. Even if just a sentence, present some insight or reflection in that essay.

These approaches will enable you to create a vivid, meaningful picture of your candidacy. Considering the scant opportunity to discuss past professional achievements in the essays, your resume carries all the more weight in the Columbia EMBA application – attend to it accordingly.

Columbia EMBA Application Essays
Columbia Executive MBA Short-Answer Question
What is your immediate post-MBA professional goal? (50 characters maximum)

Examples of possible responses: 1) “Work in business development for a media company.” 2) “Join a strategy consulting firm.” 3)“Launch a data-management start-up.”

As their examples show, a factual phrase or bullet will suffice; don’t worry about responding with a whole sentence. Do include function and industry.

Columbia EMBA Essay #1
Through your resume and recommendations, we have a clear sense of your professional path to date. What are your career goals over the next 3-5 years, and what, in your imagination, would be your long-term dream job? (500 words)

You may start by mentioning your current career situation to set the context, and how the MBA education will enable you to achieve important immediate goals. You can then naturally move on to your short-term, or 3-5 year, goals. Give solid detail about the role(s) you plan during these years: position, company, scope of accountability, what you want to accomplish, and how you hope to grow (or, to put it another way, why you want to pursue this path).

Your longer-term “dream job” needs less detail and should of course reflect some reasonable trajectory from the earlier role. Yet the wording of “dream job” instead of “long-term goal” plus “in your imagination” provides an invitation (even encouragement) to be open, to “go for it.” Put some heart and risk into this future vision and think beyond just practical considerations. If it’s a dream job, it should be ambitious in a way that is meaningful and enticing to you. Make the reader feel your excitement.

There is no request to explain “why Columbia” in the question, but it would be fine to add a sentence or two about what is truly compelling to you about the program, if you have something thoughtful and insightful to say in this regard. And only if.

Columbia EMBA Essay #2
Columbia Business School’s Executive MBA will challenge you by offering a rigorous academic experience, global exposure through the international seminar, and the opportunity to immediately apply what you learn to your career. How will you approach balancing the demands of the program with your professional and personal life while you are in school? (250 words)

Discuss the accommodations you will make at work, such as delegating more, adjusting travel schedules, etc. Focus on the most significant two or three adjustments.

Also address your personal responsibilities and how you will meet them with this additional demand on your time and energy; include 1-2 specific changes (probably, sacrifices), e.g. acknowledging that you’ll have less time at the playground with your toddler or mentioning the support of your significant other.

If you’ve already successfully balanced school and working full time, mention it. Nothing is better than actual evidence that you can juggle a demanding schedule.

Columbia EMBA Essay #3
Please provide an example of a team failure of which you have been a part. If given a second chance, what would you do differently? (250 words)

I suggest making this essay do “double duty”: while engagingly answering the question, also let it show you in a relatively recent role with meaningful stakes, to maximize its strategic benefit.

Given the brevity of the essay, an efficient and effective approach is to draft it straightforwardly as a story. Set the scene (where, when, why, what, who), and narrate what happened. Frankly address your own part of the failure (though you needn’t shoulder all responsibility if that’s not the situation) and avoid seeming to blame others. Conclude with the discussion of what you’d do differently – and beyond what, note why. It may be just a phrase, but the “why” is the evidence of your ability to both analyze and synthesize. And Columbia values that intellectual capability in its leaders.

Another option: If you subsequently implemented the lessons learned with a successful outcome, mentioning this later experience would be an excellent note upon which to end your response. Obviously, you must write succinctly and focus only on the essentials of your story.

Columbia EMBA Optional Essay
An optional fourth essay will allow you to discuss any issues that do not fall within the purview of the required essays.

This question invites you to present new material that will enhance your application, as well as explain anything that needs explaining (e.g., gap in employment, choice of recommender if not using a direct supervisor, etc.). As far as non-necessary points, since you are making the adcom read more than is required, there should be a clear value to the information you’re sharing. Finally, keep it short.

For expert guidance with your Columbia EMBA application, check out Accepted’s MBA Application Packages, which include comprehensive guidance from an experienced admissions consultant. We’ve helped hundreds of applicants get accepted to Columbia’s EMBA program and look forward to helping you too!

Columbia EMBA Application Deadlines for 2019 Start

Program Name
Entry Date
Application Deadline

EMBA-Americas
January 2019
October 24, 2018

EMBA-New York Saturday
May 2019
Early Decision – January 9, 2019

Final Decision – February 20, 2019

EMBA-New York Friday/Saturday
August 2019
Early Decision– Mar. 20, 2019

Final Decision – May 29, 2019

***Disclaimer: Information is subject to change. Please check with individual programs to verify the essay questions, instructions and deadlines.***

Cindy Tokumitsu has advised hundreds of successful applicants, helping them gain acceptance to top MBA and EMBA programs in her 15+ years with Accepted. She would love to help you too. Want Cindy to help you get Accepted? Click here to get in touch!

Related Resources:

• The Expanded Executive MBA Profile, a series for the rising executive

• The MBA Menu at Columbia Business School, a podcast episode

• Meet Dr. Nadia Afridi, Plastic Surgeon, Recent Columbia EMBA, and Mom, a podcast episode

The post Columbia EMBA Application Essay Tips & Deadlines appeared first on Accepted Admissions Blog.
Send PM
Michigan Ross MBA: It’s about REAL, Clear, and Teamwork [#permalink]
Expert Reply
FROM Accepted.com Blog: Michigan Ross MBA: It’s about REAL, Clear, and Teamwork

Interview with Michigan Ross’ Soojin Kwon and Diana Economy [Show Summary]
Soojin KownKwon, Managing Director of the Fulltime MBA Program, and Diana Economy, Director of Fulltime Admissions at the University of Michigan Ross School of Business, share a wealth of information about the Ross MBA program, admissions process, and how you can be admitted. In recent years Ross has increasingly focused on action-based learning, having students work in teams to solve real business problems for both local and international organizations. It’s no surprise, then, that in the application they are evaluating applicants on how they will thrive in environments such as this – from self-awareness to empathy to the ability to work with a team to arrive at the most equitable solution. Listen in for all you need to know to arm yourself for success at Michigan Ross!

Michigan Ross MBA: It’s about REAL, Clear, and Teamwork [Show Notes]
Both Soojin Kwon, and Diana Economy are returning guests to AST. I’m thrilled to have them back so that we can learn more about the University of Michigan’s Ross School of Business MBA program.

For those listeners who aren’t that familiar with Ross’ program, can you give an overview of it, focusing on its differentiators? [1:21]
Soojin: There are three we like to highlight.

• You learn best by doing and there isn’t a better place to get your MBA than Michigan Ross. Our portfolio of action-based learning opportunities is second to none. In addition to MAP (more on this later) we have a whole portfolio of subjects that people can do under the umbrella of REAL – Ross Experiences in Action Learning.
  • Go Blue Go Anywhere – that is our mantra. If you come here you can go anywhere – geographically, industry-wise, career-wise. Everything is your opportunity having the Michigan brand and network behind you.
  • Ann Arbor provides the opportunity to be part of a tight-knit community. More than 90% of students come from outside of Michigan so they don’t have a pre-existing network, so the focus of their experience is their MBA and their classmates.
Ross appointed a new dean, Dean Scott DaRue approximately two years ago. He believes that MBA students should experience four things while in b-school: Start, Advise, Lead, and Invest in real-world businesses. He proudly announced at the AIGAC conference in June that Ross students in this year’s entering class will be able to perform all four functions. When do Ross students do all that? [3:10]
Soojin: Some of those things are co-curricular experiences. Some are through coursework like MAP, which I’ll talk about in a second, but some of them are parallel to the academic experience. For Start, they can get seed money for startups from our Dare to Dream grant money funded through our Zell Lurie Institute for Entrepreneurial Studies. They can get advisory support for their startup ideas through our entrepreneurs in residence program, and they can learn how to start a business through our business development seminars. Students can do all these things at any time during their MBA program.

For Advise, all MBA 1s in the last quarter of their first year do MAP (Multidisciplinary Action Project), which are projects that can be anywhere around the world and in any industry, working on business challenges that existing organizations have that students help solve over seven weeks fulltime.

For Invest, students can help manage one of our seven student-led investment funds that total over $10M in assets, ranging from social venture to early seed to commercialization to real estate. There’s a real wide range that students can become involved in outside of their classes with advisors in each area.

The new element is Lead, which is through our Living Business Learning Experience, and the students can do this in their second year. It puts students in an existing business unit of a company like Shinola or Ford, and they work through the semester on some aspect of their business. As one example, a Shinola team helped launch the company’s audio business last semester. We are really looking at opportunities to put students in real world situations, with faculty guidance, but with real stakes on the line. It helps them be better prepared for the real world when they graduate.

Am I correct that the only required part of REAL is MAP, and the others are opportunities that students have? [5:30]
Soojin: Yes, that is correct.

Let’s turn to the application process. Diana, what role does the resume play in the evaluation process? [6:42]
Diana: The resume is my favorite part and the piece I look at first. When I open up an application, the very first thing I do is go to a candidate’s resume, because it is a snapshot of who that candidate is – their professional path, their accomplishments, and I can very quickly put a context around the rest of the application.

One thing I think candidates do is they think they already have a resume so they just go ahead and take the one that exists. When you are applying to an MBA program you want to make sure your resume makes sense considering the program you are looking at and what you want to do next in your MBA, so you might take things off that are overly technical that don’t relate to what you hope to get from your MBA experience or differentiate you, and focus a little bit more on the impact you’ve had and how the organizations you have been a part of are better off as a result of you having been there.

A couple things I’ve noticed when people put together a resume that is really strong: ONE PAGE. Your resume needs to be succinct, and be thoughtful about the real estate you are using to articulate your experiences. Our career development office insists on one page resumes once students are in the program, so hopefully candidates are already there. Another thing that is important to know is the resume is the only thing our interviewer has. Our interviewers are trained alumni or student interviewers, and they don’t have access to the rest of the application, so the resume needs to stand alone as a talking piece. It needs to be fully comprehensive of who you are and you need to be thoughtful of what you are choosing to tell people. Another suggestion I have is to consider putting interests or hobbies at the bottom of your resume, as it could be a great starting point for a conversation, either in the interview or with the admissions committee.

What do you hope to learn about applicants from the three short answer options in your essay? [9:43]
Soojin: What we are really looking for is to get a better understanding of who they are, and how particular experiences they’ve had in their lives have shaped them – how they think about things, what their values are. We have three groups of short answer questions and in each group are two questions you can choose from, so we want applicants to answer one from each of the three groups. They are questions like, “I want people to know that I….” and then fill that in with 100 words. “I made a difference when I…” or “I was humbled when….” “I was out of my comfort zone when….” They can tee up an instance in their lives where they can tell us how an experience impacted them. It is the why aspect we are hoping to get insight into.

Ross’ mission is to “use business to create a better world.” Its criteria: Intellectual ability, Professional and personal achievements, Interpersonal, communication, and teamwork skills. How do the mission and criteria shape the application and evaluation process? [11:39]
Soojin: Alignment with our mission is one of the lenses through which we evaluate candidates. Identifying the right fit is a critical piece of what we do. We are looking for students to use their special powers – their skills, their knowledge, and their experience to make a positive impact in their organization, communities, and the world.

What is the evaluation process for an application? [12:33]
Diana: The first thing we do after submission is decide who we’d like to interview. Our interviews are by invitation only. The first stage in the process is looking through a candidate’s academic profile, their essays, recommendation letters, and resume to get a feel for their competitiveness in the overarching pool and who we’d like to get to know a little bit further in the interview process. Taking a look at all these pieces we extend interview invitations in one or two waves, and we are pretty communicative with candidates about the timing of the process.

Another pro tip for candidates is to follow Soojin’s blog – it is where we share a lot of what we are doing and what we are thinking in the process. We recognize candidates want to know what’s going on and we make sure to communicate with them.

Once interview invitations are extended, applicants have the option to interview on campus with participation in a team exercise or off campus with an alumni interviewer. Candidates do a one-on-one interview, and if they come on campus or international locations they do the team exercise as well. Once interviews are complete we review the applications again to get a better feel for who the candidate is. As we look to extend interview invitations it is about whether or not we want to get to know a candidate more. As we look to extend an offer of admission it is really about finding the right fit – diverse perspectives in the classroom and a balanced profile.

Can you describe Ross’ team exercise? [17:07]
Diana: It came about a few years ago when we realized we weren’t getting enough from the one-on-one interview when asking questions like, “Tell us about a time you worked in a team and how you contributed.” It wasn’t giving us a full picture.

Ross’ team exercise puts a group of 4-6 people together with the goal of developing a five-minute presentation proposing a business solution for a client. We give them a set of words to incorporate into the presentation like “media,” or “merger.” They will have current students and alumni evaluating their interpersonal and teamwork skills as they work together to develop the presentation. Candidates don’t know what their words are going to be, who their client is, or who will be on their team in advance, so candidates can’t really do much to prepare. We do that on purpose – we don’t want there to be the pressure to prepare. We really want people to be themselves.

Soojin: It’s not about how much knowledge you have about business, operations, strategy or marketing, it is about how you work with people in a new situation on an assignment when you have to figure something out quickly, be inclusive and respectful, and how you do that effectively. How you bring your team along.

What distinguishes applicants who get interview invitations from those who don’t other than stats? [23:36]
Soojin: It really comes down to the nature and impact of their work experience as well as their short term career goals. We look first at their resume to see if we understand what they’ve done and what they want to do in our community. In terms of career goals we want to make sure it is something achievable from going here. Do they have a clear idea of what they want to do while here and express it compellingly? Those two things plus strong stats are the primary drivers for getting an interview invitation.

Diana: Another thing I would say is that it is such an academically rigorous environment here when we invite someone to interview we are also trying to do so knowing that they already have the academic foundation to be successful but they that they will be well-positioned to perform in the environment as well.

What have you observed that applicants just don’t get about Ross? [25:03]
Soojin: Two things, both related to geography. People fall in love with Ann Arbor, which they tend to be surprised about. The other is our geographic reach around the world. Our graduates are all over the world, most highly concentrated on the east and west coasts of the US, not the Midwest.

Diana: We are just 20 minutes from a beautiful international airport so it is very easy for recruiters to get here and they are here all the time. The companies candidates want are here. You have incredible access to resources.

Ross has been absolutely crushing it in career placement. 97% of grads in the 2017 class had jobs within three months of graduation. 32.7% went into consulting. 23.6% went into tech, and I believe that Amazon is the largest recruiter at Ross. To what do you attribute that success, and can you discuss the lifetime career support that Ross grads get? [27:54]
Soojin: It is a result of a whole host of things. There is an infrastructure of support provided by our career development office that starts in the summer before students even arrive on campus. There is a 2.5 day career prep session during orientation, and then there is staff and peer coaching throughout the year. We also have small groups based on student interests that meet weekly to keep students on track. Our professional clubs meet on weekends, and students are investing a lot in getting up to speed on what they need to know about their industries, interviews, and companies. In terms of alumni career support we have a career coach dedicated to alumni, and alums have lifetime access to open enrollment exec education courses, tuition-free, offered in Ann Arbor, Hong Kong, Mumbai, and online as well. Some of these course are upwards of $30K so that is a big deal.

What advice do you have for applicants planning to submit an application for Ross’s Oct. 1 round 1 deadline? [29:35]
Soojin: I recommend they meet with current students and come to campus if they can to really see what the Ross experience is like, because that clarity and conviction can help make a more compelling application.

Diana: There is lot of info online, but you need to figure out what you want to get out of the experience, what you are motivated by. What energizes you? Hone in on that and keep that as your true north as you are going through this process and thinking about your professional path. We have over 200 student ambassadors on our website. You can filter by just about anything. If you do nothing other than read their bios you get a good sense of who is here at Ross, but you can send them an email to connect on why they chose Ross. Alums and the admissions team are also happy to talk as well.

What advice would you give to someone thinking ahead to a Fall 2019 or later application? [31:50]
Soojin: My advice would be to cast their net wide, get to know schools early, so they can invest time applying to schools they really want to go to as opposed to ones that just seem like the right school based on rankings or score range. Doing that deep level of insight is really helpful. Research a lot of schools before they narrow down too early.

Diana: If they are thinking about the next 12 months before engaging in the application process, what do they hope to get out of those next 12 months that make them a more differentiated candidate? It is a really competitive landscape so really be thoughtful about how they are contributing and leading.

What would you have liked me to ask? [35:16]
Soojin: What questions should applicants ask of schools – I would ask students or alums – did you love your experience and if so why, and ask every student the 2-3 highlights about your school. Listen for how they talk about it and what they highlight since there is bound to be great variability. Also ask about what can be improved.

Diana: This isn’t really a question, but I do get the comment all the time that there is something in the water at Ross. People love their experience, and are not checking the box. People here come and truly engage.

Related Links:

• Michigan Ross Full-Time MBA

• Michian Ross Admissions Blog

Michigan Ross MBA Essay Tips & Deadlines

Related Shows:

Sustainability, Ross MBA, And The Erb Institute: Business As A Force For Good

Make a Difference at Michigan Ross: An Interview with Soojin Kwon

Bain & Company’s Keith Bevans Talks About Careers, Life at Bain

Meet Duke Fuqua’s New MBA Admissions Director, Shari Hubert

An Interview with Dartmouth Tuck’s Admissions Director, Luke Pena

Subscribe:

Podcast Feed

Tags: Admissions Straight Talk, MBA Admissions

The post Michigan Ross MBA: It’s About Real, Clear, and Teamwork [Episode 271] appeared first on Accepted Admissions Blog.
Send PM
Wharton MBA Class Profile 2019 [#permalink]
Expert Reply
FROM Accepted.com Blog: Wharton MBA Class Profile 2019

Let’s take a look at who makes up Wharton’s class of 2019

• Applications received: 6,692

• Students enrolled: 863

• Women: 44%

• US students of color: 33%

• Countries represented: 65

• International students: 33%

• Average GMAT score: 730

• Average work experience: 5 years

Pre-MBA Industries:

FIELD
PERCENT

Consulting
26%

Private Equity/Venture Capital
14%

Nonprofit/Government
12%

Other
9%

Technology/Internet Services
9%

Investment Banking
8%

Other Financial Services
8%

Healthcare
6%

Investment Management
3%

Energy
2%

CPG/Retail
2%

Media/Entertainment
1%

Do you want to be counted among Wharton’s next crop of students? Come to our webinar, Get Accepted to Wharton Business School, to learn the steps you need to take to discover your competitive advantage and GET ACCEPTED!

For personalized assistance on your Wharton applications, check out Accepted’s MBA Admissions Services.

Related Resources:

• Wharton’s Commitment Project – a Window into Wharton, a podcast episode

• Wharton MBA Essay Tips and Deadlines

The post Wharton MBA Class Profile 2019 appeared first on Accepted Admissions Blog.
Send PM
Retaking the GMAT With a Score of 700+: Should You Consider It? [#permalink]
Expert Reply
FROM Accepted.com Blog: Retaking the GMAT With a Score of 700+: Should You Consider It?

This may seem hard for some test-takers to believe, but sometimes even the high-scorers contemplate retaking the exam. It’s not unheard of for someone with a score of 700 – or even higher – to retake the GMAT to see if they can hit a higher number.

But should they? As is usually the case with admissions issues…it depends.

Who are YOU? An MBA Applicant with a Distinctive Background
Were our applicant here a Latin American brand manager or an African pharmaceutical salesperson – that is, if their demographic had little representation in the business school applicant pool – then there would really be no reason to retake the exam. Once they’ve demonstrated competence in each section of the GMAT and present a total score of 700+ – meaning, their quantitative and verbal scores placed them above the 80th percentile in each section – then their GMAT score really becomes a (nearly) non-issue and retaking the test becomes a waste of time that could have been better spent elsewhere.

Who are YOU? An MBA Applicant with a Standard Background
But here’s the thing: if you have a more typical background, and especially if you find yourself in an over-represented part of the applicant pool at top business schools, then the above advice just may not apply to you.

You need a higher score.

Who might be in this group? Indian males in engineering and computer science. Investment bankers. Management consultants. All these group tend to do well on the GMAT and send lot of applications to business schools.

Are YOU applying to Top 10 MBA Programs?
The GMAT score has risen dramatically this year. A couple of years ago you could talk about a balanced 700 being competitive in the top 10. No more:

US News RankingProgramEntering 2017Entering 2018Increase

Average7247274

1Harvard University 7297312

1University of Chicago (Booth) 7267304

3University of Pennsylvania (Wharton) 7307300

4Stanford University 7377370

5Massachusetts Institute of Technology (Sloan) 724722-2

6Northwestern University (Kellogg) 7287324

7University of California—​Berkeley (Haas) 7177258

7University of Michigan—​Ann Arbor (Ross) 7087168

9Columbia University 7207277

10Dartmouth College (Tuck) 7177225

Of the ten schools in the US News top 10, five programs now have average GMAT scores of 730+ and only one (Ross) is under 720. The year-over-year increase is on average the largest I can remember or track. They are even larger than last year’s increase, which was the largest average increase in the previous five years.

What Should YOU Do?
So, if you score a 700 on the GMAT, should you retake the exam? It depends on the schools you’re applying to, and it depends on your demographic, not to mention the strength of the rest of your application. If you are applying from a common sub-group in the applicant pool with a fairly typical background and extracurricular profile, and you are aiming for a top 10 program, a 700 score will be a negative for you. You should consider a retake. For other applicants, that 700 will be just fine.

Do your research, be as objective as possible, and figure out the target score – and the target schools – that are best for YOU.

And if you’re still not sure, check out our webinar, The GMAT: Low Scores, Retaking & Strategies for Success, for an overview of the factors to consider when deciding whether to retake or not.

By Linda Abraham, president and founder of Accepted and co-author of the definitive book on MBA admissions, MBA Admission for Smarties: The No-Nonsense Guide to Acceptance at Top Business SchoolsNavigate the MBA Maze: 9 Tips to Acceptance, a free guide

What GMAT Score Do I Need to Get Accepted to Top MBA Programs?

Should You Retake the GMAT?

The post Retaking the GMAT With a Score of 700+: Should You Consider It? appeared first on Accepted Admissions Blog.
Send PM
Welcome to the Team, Libby Angst [#permalink]
Expert Reply
FROM Accepted.com Blog: Welcome to the Team, Libby Angst

We’re happy to welcome Libby Angst to the Accepted team!

Libby worked in the Kellogg Admissions Office, where she learned how to assess MBA applications and find the traits that top schools are looking for in their students. She evaluated all parts of the MBA app from students around the world. She also co-chaired the Kellogg Student Admissions Committee, where she taught and supervised 30 students during each submission round during her second year at Kellogg. These experiences taught her what helps applications to be noticed.

Her interest in admissions was sparked when she advised friends to acceptances at top MBA program including Chicago Booth, Columbia, Harvard, Kellogg, NYU Stern , Stanford GSB, UCLA Anderson, Michigan Ross, and Wharton

Libby loves to travel the world and spent six years employed in the hospitality sector. In addition to working in-house at hotels around the U.S., she worked as a revenue management and marketing strategies consultant at TravelCllick, a software company providing marketing strategies to increase revenue and resolutions for the hospitality business.

Libby rounds out her work life by serving the community. She is a Board Member of The Night Ministry, a nonprofit in Chicago that aids the homeless. She is also a self-taught barista, and loves serving the perfectly adorned latte.

Libby’s aim is to help young people make the best use of their potential by uncovering meaning in their business and personal lives. She believes that getting into the right MBA program can be a life-changing experience. She has always loved assisting others in finding what makes them exceptional. She delights in helping people find their ideal personal statement topic and perfect their admission story before an interview.

Welcome Libby!

The post Welcome to the Team, Libby Angst appeared first on Accepted Admissions Blog.
GMAT Club Bot
Welcome to the Team, Libby Angst [#permalink]
   1  ...  75   76   77   78   79  ...  122