Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 07:30 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 07:30

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 184 [99]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 63666 [23]
Given Kudos: 1773
GMAT 1: 780 Q51 V46
GMAT 2: 800 Q51 V51
GRE 1: Q170 V170

GRE 2: Q170 V170
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 107 [15]
Given Kudos: 71
Concentration: Social Entrepreneurship, Strategy
GMAT 1: 620 Q41 V34
WE:Information Technology (Computer Software)
Send PM
General Discussion
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 861 [2]
Given Kudos: 1
Send PM
Re: According to a recent study by Rutgers University, the number of women [#permalink]
Kudos
Bookmarks
Nothing wrong with A.

In fact all the other choices, change the original meaning of the sentence. Also, the number of women... has grown, is correct.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [4]
Send PM
Re: According to a recent study by Rutgers University, the number of women [#permalink]
Kudos
Bookmarks
A for me too.

is it true that "THE number of X" is singular whereas "A number of Y" is plural?
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [1]
Send PM
Kudos
Hi, I have a question regarding the tense of "has grown". Is "has been growing" a wrong way to say the same thing?
Board of Directors
Own Kudos [?]: 4689 [0]
Given Kudos: 463
GPA: 3.5
WE:Business Development (Commercial Banking)
Send PM
asailesh7 wrote:
Hi, I have a question regarding the tense of "has grown". Is "has been growing" a wrong way to say the same thing?

The number -------> Has grown ( Correct S-V issue )

Has been growing is Present Perfect Continuous tense which is not preferred here...

Please go through this link to revise the concept on Present Perfect Continuous

https://www.englishpage.com/verbpage/pre ... nuous.html

Hope this helps.....
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 4 [1]
Given Kudos: 74
Schools: ISB '18
Send PM
Kudos
According to the question the sentences "every election since 1968" and "recent study by university" implies that the activity has started in 1968 but still continuing (AFAIK). So we should use have been/has been right.

Why are we using "has" here? Started in past and continuing in present then we should use present perfect tense right.
Board of Directors
Own Kudos [?]: 4689 [0]
Given Kudos: 463
GPA: 3.5
WE:Business Development (Commercial Banking)
Send PM
sai897 wrote:
According to the question the sentences "every election since 1968" and "recent study by university" implies that the activity has started in 1968 but still continuing (AFAIK). So we should use have been/has been right.

Why are we using "has" here? Started in past and continuing in present then we should use present perfect tense right.

Subject - Verb Agreement -

According to a recent study by Rutgers University, the number of women in state legislatures has grown in every election since 1968.

Errors in the other options highlighted in RED

(B) the number of women who are in state legislatures have grown
(C) there has been growth in the number of women in state legislatures
(D) a growing number of women have been in state legislatures
(E) women have been growing in number in state legislatures

Hope this helps !!
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 173 [10]
Given Kudos: 14
Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks
(A) the number of women in state legislatures has grown
– correct. “the number” is singular, has is singular. As "since" is used, the verb tense should be present perfect tense (has/have)
– “the number” is singular, have is plural. "Who are -> women are" has NO Subject- Verb error
(C) there has been growth in the number of women in state legislatures.
– passive voice, modifier should modify the noun, not there (no antecedent for there). Present perfect continuous tense is not required
– “a number” is singular, have is plural. Present perfect continuous tense is not required
– changes meaning, number of women growing and women growing are not same. Present perfect continuous tense is not required

Thanks
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 1322 [3]
Given Kudos: 143
GMAT 1: 670 Q46 V36
GMAT 2: 690 Q47 V38
GMAT 3: 690 Q48 V37
GMAT 4: 710 Q49 V38 (Online)
Send PM
Kudos
alwaysnewbie wrote:
– correct. “the number” is singular, has is singular. As "since" is used, the verb tense should be present perfect tense (has/have)
– “the number” is singular, have is plural. "Who are -> women are" has NO Subject- Verb error
(C) there has been growth in the number of women in state legislatures.
– passive voice, modifier should modify the noun, not there (no antecedent for there). Present perfect continuous tense is not required
– “a number” is singular, have is plural. Present perfect continuous tense is not required
– changes meaning, number of women growing and women growing are not same. Present perfect continuous tense is not required

Thanks

In D, plural "have" is correct since the subject is "women" and not "number". Also we just need present perfect since there is "since" there. Avoid choices with unnecessary "ing" verbs on GMAT.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 385 [0]
Given Kudos: 50
GMAT 1: 640 Q48 V28
Send PM
Hi experts GMATNinja daagh generis

I have one question regarding option B
(B) the number of women who are in state legislatures have grown"

Guys above stated that plural "are" and "have grown" are incorrect as "The number" is singular.
Per my understanding plural verbs are ok there, because we have "who" and that pronoun makes "women" as a subject, requiring plural verbs
I think the reason why B is incorrect is the meaning, after introducing "who" we have that "women have grown in every election"

Please tell me a couple of words about my reasoning

Cheers
L
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 0 [0]
Given Kudos: 4
Send PM
What is the problem with option C?
What is problem in using passive voice and present perfect continuous tense?
Volunteer Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 6858 [5]
Given Kudos: 500
Kudos
Expert Reply
sidharthbanda1 wrote:
What is the problem with option C?
What is problem in using passive voice and present perfect continuous tense?

Hello, sidharthbanda1. Keep in mind, the goal of SC is to identify which of the five options expresses the vital meaning of the sentence in the clearest and most concise way. It is not as though the passive voice is always wrong, and, obviously, we can see the present perfect tense pop up in the correct answer here, so I cannot say that (C) is dismissible on those grounds. What stands out to me is the delay of vital information when compared to (A). In general, the GMAT™ prefers answers that start with a clear subject and verb to those that withhold that information and instead place unqualified information in front of the reader. Compare the beginning of the two answers here:

(A) the number of women
(C) there has been a growth in

Six words into (C), and I have no idea what this information may pertain to, but in (A), I can anticipate learning more about these women, and the end of that answer choice does not disappoint: has grown. In light of the overarching aim of SC outlined above, choice (C), although fine by the sound of it, is suboptimal next to (A).

I hope that helps. Good luck with your studies.

- Andrew
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 34 [1]
Given Kudos: 47
Send PM
Kudos
I found the replies not correct, for some reason. Hence, below is my explanation.

According to a recent study by Rutgers University, the number of women in state legislatures has grown in every election since 1968.

the number of women = Subject (S)
verb has to be S = has grown (S)
correct

the number of women = Subject (S)
verb has to be S = have grown (P)
wrong

(C) there has been growth in the number of women in state legislatures
has been growth, Verb= singular | present perfect continuous =ok, as it's still growing since 1963 to present
The subject is missing, as everything is in prepositional phrases.

growing (adj) defining the number of women (noun phrase). Hence, a plural verb is required.
The main verb is missing. There has been (auxiliary verb, plural, present continuous tense) there is no main verb to define the sentence.

women (subject)= plural
have been growing (verb) = plural
What has been growing? Women.
Not the number of women. The subject that is the actor to the action (verb) is incorrect because the meaning is now changed.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 0 [0]
Given Kudos: 9
Send PM
As per rules of NUMBER - "The number of ------- signifies singular subject and hence singular verb.

A. Verb - has grown- singular +Active

B. Verb- have grown - plural = we can eliminate this as per number rule.

C. Verb- has been growth- Singular + Passive

D. Verb- have been - plural =we can eliminate this as per number rule.

E. Verb- have been - plural = we can eliminate this as per number rule.

Between A and C , we can prefer active over passive.

So, A is correct.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 11 [0]
Given Kudos: 28
GMAT 1: 690 Q47 V36
Send PM
Why we don't need Present perfect continuous here? As I see the trend started in the past and it is still continuing?
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 63666 [1]
Given Kudos: 1773
GMAT 1: 780 Q51 V46
GMAT 2: 800 Q51 V51
GRE 1: Q170 V170

GRE 2: Q170 V170
Send PM