It is currently 23 Sep 2017, 04:15

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

According to a recent study linking high social standing to

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

3 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 222 [3], given: 1

According to a recent study linking high social standing to [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 09 Aug 2010, 07:25
This post received
KUDOS
This post was
BOOKMARKED
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

95% (hard)

Question Stats:

27% (00:50) correct 73% (01:15) wrong based on 692 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

According to a recent study linking high social standing to a habitually stern facial expression, models who do not smile adequately in magazine advertisements give an impression of status and exclusivity, even if they are not wealthy or influential themselves.

(C) 2008 GMAT Club - v04#9

models who do not smile adequately in magazine advertisements give an impression
models in magazine advertisements who do not smile give an impression adequately
models who do not smile in magazine advertisements adequately give an impression
it is the models, in magazine advertisements, who do not smile and adequately give an impression
in magazine advertisements, the models who do not smile adequately give an impression
[Reveal] Spoiler: OA

Kudos [?]: 222 [3], given: 1

1 KUDOS received
VP
VP

Kudos [?]: 732 [1], given: 6

Re: According to a recent..... [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 09 Aug 2010, 10:20
This post received
KUDOS
adequately --> adverb --> modifier to a verb, an adverb, a clause, a phrase, a sentence, an adjective

C it is.

According to a recent study linking high social standing to a habitually stern facial expression, models who do not smile adequately in magazine advertisements give an impression of status and exclusivity, even if they are not wealthy or influential themselves.

(A) models who do not smile adequately in magazine advertisements give an impression -
(B) models in magazine advertisements who do not smile give an impression adequately
(C) models who do not smile in magazine advertisements adequately give an impression - CORRECT
(D) it is the models, in magazine advertisements, who do not smile and adequately give an impression
(E) in magazine advertisements, the models who do not smile adequately give an impression

Kudos [?]: 732 [1], given: 6

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 39 [0], given: 0

Show Tags

New post 20 Nov 2010, 09:12
This post was
BOOKMARKED
A models who do not smile adequately in magazine advertisements give an impression
B models in magazine advertisements who do not smile give an impression adequately
C models who do not smile in magazine advertisements adequately give an impression
D it is the models, in magazine advertisements, who do not smile and adequately give an impression
E in magazine advertisements, the models who do not smile adequately give an impression

What does "adequate" refer to??

------------------------------------
Waiting for KUDOS

Kaplan GMAT Instructor

Kudos [?]: 218 [0], given: 0

Re: Models facial expression [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 20 Nov 2010, 12:37
BellTheGmat wrote:
A models who do not smile adequately in magazine advertisements give an impression
B models in magazine advertisements who do not smile give an impression adequately
C models who do not smile in magazine advertisements adequately give an impression
D it is the models, in magazine advertisements, who do not smile and adequately give an impression
E in magazine advertisements, the models who do not smile adequately give an impression

What does "adequate" refer to??

Is (C) really the correct answer? There are two major problems with it that made me immediately eliminate it from consideration. (E) is the only choice that fixes both issues.

"adequately" is an adverb, so it must modify a verb, adjective or other adverb. In this sentence, "adequately" is modifying "smile"; in other words, the sentence is saying "models who don't smile enough..."

Since "adequately" is modifying "smile", it should be placed as closely to smile as possible. In (C) the placement of "adequately isn't ideal".

Further, the pronoun "they" could refer to either the models or the advertisements. In (C), "they" is closer to "advertisements", changing the meaning of the sentence (and making it non-sensical). In (E) the plural noun immediately preceding "they" is "models", which makes sense.

What's the source of the question?

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 104 [0], given: 20

GMAT ToolKit User

Show Tags

New post 20 Nov 2010, 12:59
Hi stuart what is wrong with A?

Posted from my mobile device

Kudos [?]: 104 [0], given: 20

Kaplan GMAT Instructor

Show Tags

New post 20 Nov 2010, 13:09
gmat1011 wrote:
Hi stuart what is wrong with A?

Posted from my mobile device

(A) has the same pronoun ambiguity problem as (C) - "they" is closer to "advertisements" than "models".

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 0

Show Tags

New post 20 Nov 2010, 13:16
IMO,

The answer is C as adequately modifies the verb "give".

Kaplan GMAT Instructor

Show Tags

New post 20 Nov 2010, 13:27
vertigo777 wrote:
IMO,

A fundamental principle of sentence correction is that we must choose an answer that doesn't change the author's intended meaning. Unless the original sentence is nonsensical, we should preserve its meaning.

You're correct that in (C), the placement of "adequately" means that it modifies "give". However, since that completely changes the meaning of the sentence, (C) cannot be right.

Intern
Intern

Show Tags

New post 20 Nov 2010, 13:48
You are right, thanks for reminding that.

Intern
Intern

Show Tags

New post 20 Nov 2010, 20:22
skovinsky wrote:
vertigo777 wrote:
IMO,

A fundamental principle of sentence correction is that we must choose an answer that doesn't change the author's intended meaning. Unless the original sentence is nonsensical, we should preserve its meaning.

You're correct that in (C), the placement of "adequately" means that it modifies "give". However, since that completely changes the meaning of the sentence, (C) cannot be right.

Thanks for the clarification... Since I was skeptical about the reference of "adequate", hence posted it. As per the explanation given for this ques (in v05 test given in free access of GmatClub), it says - author wants to use "adequate" to modify give and not smile, hence OA is C.

I suppose such ambiguous questions wont come in actual GMAT... !!

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 17 [0], given: 0

Show Tags

New post 21 Nov 2010, 04:38
Doh!! I picked A. :(

Kudos [?]: 17 [0], given: 0

Retired Moderator
P
Status: worked for Kaplan's associates, but now on my own, free and flying

Kudos [?]: 7611 [0], given: 360

WE: Education (Education)

Show Tags

New post 21 Dec 2010, 22:14
However much the adverb ‘adequately’ may be justified as modifying the verb ‘give’, still the author of the passage can not convince that the pronoun ‘they’ stands for the distant 'models' rather than the nearby ‘advertisements’. I feel C clearly suffers from pronoun ambiguity. E is the right on

“Better than a thousand days of diligent study is one day with a great teacher” – a Japanese proverb.

Kudos [?]: 7611 [0], given: 360

Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 31 [0], given: 33

Show Tags

New post 09 Mar 2011, 06:04
What is wrong with A?

The way i read it is the adequately describes the smiling.

Smile is a verb, and adequately will remain an adverb. In general how do you interpret a sentence which can be confusing like this one?

Director
Director

Kudos [?]: 273 [0], given: 51

Show Tags

New post 09 Mar 2011, 09:07
adequately is an adverb , and it is modifying smile , for adverbs it is not a rule that they should be placed closest to the verb or the adjective or the phrase they are modifying.

that makes c error free but what is the error in a ?

What is of supreme importance in war is to attack the enemy's strategy.

Kudos [?]: 273 [0], given: 51

Director
Director
Status: Impossible is not a fact. It's an opinion. It's a dare. Impossible is nothing.
Affiliations: University of Chicago Booth School of Business

Kudos [?]: 391 [0], given: 123

Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 09 Mar 2011, 10:01
This post was
BOOKMARKED
This looks messy. If an SC is worth 2 mins in exam, it not worth at all. The cost is high. Just my 2 cents - although I am big fan of daagh. :-D

The meaning here is the models who do not smile in the advertisements adequately - not just "smile" adequately.

models who do not smile (in magazine advertisements) adequately give an impression of status and exclusivity.

"advertisements" is adverb and modifies an adjective or verb or adverb - not a noun.

bibha wrote:

models who do not smile adequately in magazine advertisements give an impression
models in magazine advertisements who do not smile give an impression adequately
models who do not smile in magazine advertisements adequately give an impression
it is the models, in magazine advertisements, who do not smile and adequately give an impression
in magazine advertisements, the models who do not smile adequately give an impression

Kudos [?]: 391 [0], given: 123

Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Show Tags

New post 09 Mar 2011, 11:54
I can see A and C as possible answers.

A- adverb adequately modifies smile: The models smile but not adequately

C) Same logic but model in magazine advertisements and no other models

Garima, In C, you could read it as the adverb adequately modifying "give an impression"

Hence the two will convey different meanings. I think there is a lot of ambiguity here.

GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend

Kudos [?]: 253 [0], given: 0

Premium Member
Re: According to a recent study linking high social standing to [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 05 Nov 2014, 10:50
Hello from the GMAT Club VerbalBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.

Kudos [?]: 253 [0], given: 0

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 61 [0], given: 475

Schools: ESADE '16, HKU'16, SMU '16
GMAT 1: 620 Q46 V30
GMAT ToolKit User

Show Tags

New post 15 Nov 2014, 05:25

- who incorrectly refers to the magazine advertisement.
- it is the models. Also the complete sentemce doesn't make sense.
in magazine advertisements, the models who do not smile adequately give an impression .
- Misplaced modifier

Can we please discuss options A and C ? Still not sure why A is wrong

Kudos [?]: 61 [0], given: 475

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 9 [0], given: 21

Show Tags

New post 23 Nov 2015, 07:03
bibha wrote:

My two cents on this even though i went for option A as well. A habitually stern facial expression cannot possibly be a smile, adequate or not. An inadequate smile is still a smile nonetheless. So "adequate" here is being used to describe the impression given by facially stern models who don't smile in advertisements.

IMO what would have been even better than option C here would go something like this "models who do not smile in magazine advertisements give an adequate impression"

Kudos [?]: 9 [0], given: 21

Manager
Manager
B

Kudos [?]: 95 [0], given: 13

Premium Member

Show Tags

New post 14 Dec 2015, 03:20
Hi daagh

could you please provide your comments on this. What is the issue with A?

Thanks

Kudos [?]: 95 [0], given: 13

Re: According to a recent study linking high social standing to   [#permalink] 14 Dec 2015, 03:20

Go to page    1   2    Next  [ 26 posts ]