Summer is Coming! Join the Game of Timers Competition to Win Epic Prizes. Registration is Open. Game starts Mon July 1st.

It is currently 17 Jul 2019, 19:44

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

According to a recent study of consumer spending on prescription medic

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Find Similar Topics 
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
D
GMAT 1: 780 Q51 V46
GMAT 2: 800 Q51 V51
GRE 1: Q170 V170
Re: According to a recent study of consumer spending on prescription medic  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 02 Nov 2018, 15:44
Eladt wrote:
I read all of the explanations provided, but still haven't understood why (C) is the right answer.
GMATNinja GMATNinjaTwo and EMPOWERgmatVerbal
can you please explain?

If I incorporate option choice (C) we get:
According to a recent study of consumer spending on prescription medications, increases in the sales of the 50 drugs that were advertised most heavily accounted for almost half of the $20.8 billion increase in drug spending last year, the remainder of the increase coming from sales of the 9,850 prescription medicines that companies did not advertise or advertised very little.

If the phrase starting with “the remainder of the increase coming...” is a new sentence - dont we need a verb?
if it doesnt, how can it modifies a subject ("the remainder of the increase") that has been mentioned for the first time in the sentence?

"The remainder of the increase coming from sales..." is a modifier providing more information about the previously mentioned "$20.8 billion increase." Put another way, the $20.8 billion increase had two components: more sales of heavily advertised drugs and more sales of not-so-heavily advertised drugs. We're told about the heavily advertised drugs in the main clause, and the other drugs are described in the modifier.

It's a pretty common construction, and there's nothing technically wrong with it. Here's another example, "Once the trick-or-treaters returned home, Tim fed half of his leftover candy to feral dogs, the other half of the candy devoured by his feral toddlers." The portion in red is playing the same role here - modifying the previously mentioned "leftover candy."

I hope that helps!

Beginners' guides to GMAT verbal: RC | CR | SC

YouTube LIVE verbal webinars: Series 1: Fundamentals of SC & CR | Series 2: Developing a Winning GMAT Mindset

SC & CR Questions of the Day (QOTDs), featuring expert explanations: All QOTDs | Subscribe via email | RSS

Need an expert reply? Hit the request verbal experts' reply button; be specific about your question, and tag @GMATNinja. Priority is always given to official GMAT questions.

SC articles & resources: How to go from great (760) to incredible (780) on GMAT SC | That "-ing" Word Probably Isn't a Verb | That "-ed" Word Might Not Be a Verb, Either | No-BS Guide to GMAT Idioms | "Being" is not the enemy | WTF is "that" doing in my sentence?

RC, CR, and other articles & resources: All GMAT Ninja articles on GMAT Club | Using LSAT for GMAT CR & RC |7 reasons why your actual GMAT scores don't match your practice test scores | How to get 4 additional "fake" GMAT Prep tests for $29.99 | Time management on verbal
Intern
Intern
B
Re: According to a recent study of consumer spending on prescription medic  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 14 Dec 2018, 07:07
nakib77 wrote:
According to a recent study of consumer spending on prescription medications, increases in the sales of the 50 drugs that were advertised most heavily accounts for almost half of the $20.8 billion increase in drug spending last year, the remainder of which came from sales of the 9,850 prescription medicines that companies did not advertise or advertised very little.

(A) heavily accounts for almost half of the $20.8 billion increase in drug spending last year, the remainder of which came

(B) heavily were what accounted for almost half of the $20.8 billion increase in drug spending last year; the remainder of the increase coming

(C) heavily accounted for almost half of the $20.8 billion increase in drug spending last year, the remainder of the increase coming

(D) heavily, accounting for almost half of the $20.8 billion increase in drug spending last year, while the remainder of the increase came

(E) heavily, which accounted for almost half of the $20.8 billion increase in drug spending last year, with the remainder of it coming

How is "the remainder of the increase coming" correct in option C
mikemcgarry can you please explain.

V
WE: Engineering (Other)
CAT Tests
According to a recent study of consumer spending on prescription medic  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 24 Apr 2019, 08:20
Nidheesha

Quote:

coming is a verb-ing modifier modifying remainder of increase. It describes where does remaining increase come from.

Feeling stressed, you are not alone!!
Manhattan Prep Instructor
S

Show Tags

New post 24 Apr 2019, 16:26
adkikani wrote:
Nidheesha

Quote:

coming is a verb-ing modifier modifying remainder of increase. It describes where does remaining increase come from.

Exactly. And "the remainder" is introducing a modifier. Think of it as saying "with the remainder." That might be clearer, but we often see modifiers introduced in this way, with the expected link missing. For instance, we might say "The university awarded 200 PhD's last year, the majority in the sciences."

Dmitry Farber | Manhattan Prep GMAT Instructor | San Diego

Manhattan GMAT Discount | Manhattan GMAT Course Reviews | View Instructor Profile |
Manhattan GMAT Reviews
Director
Director
G

Show Tags

New post 03 May 2019, 08:15
nakib77 wrote:
According to a recent study of consumer spending on prescription medications, increases in the sales of the 50 drugs that were advertised most heavily accounts for almost half of the $20.8 billion increase in drug spending last year, the remainder of which came from sales of the 9,850 prescription medicines that companies did not advertise or advertised very little.

(A) heavily accounts for almost half of the $20.8 billion increase in drug spending last year, the remainder of which came

(B) heavily were what accounted for almost half of the $20.8 billion increase in drug spending last year; the remainder of the increase coming

(C) heavily accounted for almost half of the $20.8 billion increase in drug spending last year, the remainder of the increase coming

(D) heavily, accounting for almost half of the $20.8 billion increase in drug spending last year, while the remainder of the increase came

(E) heavily, which accounted for almost half of the $20.8 billion increase in drug spending last year, with the remainder of it coming

look at choice A/

X accounts for half of the 20 billion increase in spending last year, the remainder of which came from...

this sentence means that "the remainder of which come..." , a non restrictive modifier, exist before "accounts". comma+which is used to say about a characteristic of the noun modified. it is absurd that the increase has characteristic that the remainder of it come from.....

no comma+that, a restrictive modifier , show which noun among many nouns is mentioned. either modifier is wrong here. we do not care of restrictive/non restrictive modifier here. I just want to say about the meaning of comma+which. this meaning is not logic in choice A.

the above error is hard to realize but is terrible error.

one more error is that "last year" is adverb, and "which " can not jump over adverb to modify a far noun.
Manager
Manager
B
According to a recent study of consumer spending on prescription medic  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 03 May 2019, 08:53
I read all posts but I still have a doubt between B and C

The remainder came from sales of the 9,850 prescription medicines that companies did not advertise or advertised very little. Isnt this sentence a independent clause. And I belive a connector like AND would be a better choice over option C
CEO
CEO
V
GMAT 1: 780 Q50 V51
GRE 1: Q170 V169

Show Tags

New post 03 May 2019, 19:36
krishnabalu wrote:
I read all posts but I still have a doubt between B and C

The remainder came from sales of the 9,850 prescription medicines that companies did not advertise or advertised very little. Isnt this sentence a independent clause. And I belive a connector like AND would be a better choice over option C
This is the sentence that option B leads to:

According to a recent study of consumer spending on prescription medications, increases in the sales of the 50 drugs that were advertised most heavily were what accounted for almost half of the $20.8 billion increase in drug spending last year; the remainder of the increase coming from sales of the 9,850 prescription medicines that companies did not advertise or advertised very little.

Coming is not a verb, so the remainder coming is not a complete thought.
B
Schools: IMD '21

Show Tags

New post 06 Jun 2019, 06:49
EMPOWERgmatVerbal wrote:
If you're wondering what would happen if we focused on #2 instead, here is how things would break down:

The main problem with this is the phrase "the remainder of which." It's not 100% clear what this is referring back to: the remainder of the drugs, the sales of drugs, or increase in drug spending? If it's not 100% clear, then it's likely an INCORRECT option.

Doesn't the phrase "the remainder of which" logically refer to the noun immediate to its left, in this case, "drug spending last year"?. This is my thinking because when I saw the word "which" in the "remainder of which", I applied the same rule as when I see comma + which (modifying the noun immediately before the comma). I understand why B is wrong, I just want to clarify that part in your explanation.

Thanks!
EMPOWERgmat Instructor
S

Show Tags

New post 07 Jun 2019, 10:21
Diwabag wrote:
EMPOWERgmatVerbal wrote:
If you're wondering what would happen if we focused on #2 instead, here is how things would break down:

The main problem with this is the phrase "the remainder of which." It's not 100% clear what this is referring back to: the remainder of the drugs, the sales of drugs, or increase in drug spending? If it's not 100% clear, then it's likely an INCORRECT option.

Doesn't the phrase "the remainder of which" logically refer to the noun immediate to its left, in this case, "drug spending last year"?. This is my thinking because when I saw the word "which" in the "remainder of which", I applied the same rule as when I see comma + which (modifying the noun immediately before the comma). I understand why B is wrong, I just want to clarify that part in your explanation.

Thanks!

Hello Diwabag!

You can't apply the same logic to comma+which clauses as you do "the remainder of which." Even if you did, you'd end up applying it to the closest noun, not noun phrase, which is the word "year." Since that doesn't really make sense, you would still rule this out.

I hope that helps!
B

Show Tags

New post 15 Jun 2019, 23:15
Can someone please explain why C is correct. The comma before "the remainder of the increase coming" makes it a run on sentence.
Intern
Intern
B

Show Tags

New post 16 Jun 2019, 07:56
AjiteshArun

I have read explanations on this post. Experts suggested that option B is incorrect because the latter part after semicolon in not an independent clause.
I know that semicolon is used between two independent clauses and clause is a phrase with both subject and verb.However, this option doesn't has dependent marker such as after, although, as, as if, because, before, even f, even though, in order to, since, though, unless, until, whatever, when, whenever, whether, and while.
i am not able to figure out what is subject and verb in the latter clause after semicolon.

can someone please help me out with this . :)
CEO
CEO
V
GMAT 1: 780 Q50 V51
GRE 1: Q170 V169

Show Tags

New post 16 Jun 2019, 19:13
Smitc007 wrote:
AjiteshArun

I have read explanations on this post. Experts suggested that option B is incorrect because the latter part after semicolon in not an independent clause.
I know that semicolon is used between two independent clauses and clause is a phrase with both subject and verb.However, this option doesn't has dependent marker such as after, although, as, as if, because, before, even f, even though, in order to, since, though, unless, until, whatever, when, whenever, whether, and while.
i am not able to figure out what is subject and verb in the latter clause after semicolon.

can someone please help me out with this . :)
Hi Smitc007,

1. Let's take the word because. Because is a subordinating conjunction. Subordinating conjunctions introduce (start) subordinate clauses (also known as dependent clauses). For example:

Sales of cars increased ← Independent clause, subject + verb
because prices came down. ← Dependent clause, subordinating conjunction + subject + verb

2. A semicolon can be placed in between two independent clauses:

a. Sales of cars increased; prices came down. ← Don't worry about meaning here, as we are looking only at structure.
b. Sales of cars increased; because prices came down. ← This is incorrect, as the structure after the semicolon is not an independent clause.

Now let's take another example in which we don't have an independent clause after the semicolon.

c. Sales of cars increased; prices coming down. ← This is incorrect.

Here we have an -ing (coming). An -ing is never a "complete" verb capable of supporting the subject of an independent clause on its own. Instead, to do that, it needs a helping verb. So, for example, we can consider the following "complete" verbs:

are coming down, have been coming down, were coming down...

However, "coming down" is not a complete verb, and it cannot combine with prices to create an independent clause.

This is why option B is incorrect. The coming at the end is not a ("complete") verb, and we therefore don't have an independent clause after the semicolon.

... increases in the sales... were...; the remainder of the increase coming from...

3. An additional point (not related to this question): semicolons can also be used as "big commas".
Re: According to a recent study of consumer spending on prescription medic   [#permalink] 16 Jun 2019, 19:13

Go to page   Previous    1   2   [ 32 posts ] 

According to a recent study of consumer spending on prescription medic

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics