It is currently 22 Sep 2017, 06:46

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

According to a recent study on financial roles, one-third of

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 46 [0], given: 19

GPA: 3.98
Re: According to a recent study on financial roles, one-third of [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 27 May 2012, 12:41
C is with high certainty while A is not necessarily certain

Kudos [?]: 46 [0], given: 19

Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 258 [0], given: 33

Show Tags

New post 27 May 2012, 20:37
Marked C. A is an opinion and cannot be concluded from the stem. C is the obvious choice.

Kudos [?]: 258 [0], given: 33

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 62 [0], given: 22

Show Tags

New post 07 Jun 2012, 03:25
Let X be the number of High school seniors

High school seniors with significant financial responsibilities = (1/3)X ------------- (1)
High school seniors with bank accounts = 80% of X = 0.8 X ------------------------- (2)
High school seniors with bank accounts that has bounced check = (1/3)(0.8)X --- (3)

Clearly (1) > (3)

C is the answer

Kudos [?]: 62 [0], given: 22

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 61 [0], given: 4

Concentration: Technology, General Management
GMAT Date: 07-23-2012
WE: Programming (Telecommunications)

Show Tags

New post 09 Jun 2012, 10:29
Marked E, pity me..
the mistake in E is the use of "students" and not "seniors" which i missed.
Otherwise, C is perfect, logically and mathematically.

FOCUS..this is all I need!

Ku-Do!

Kudos [?]: 61 [0], given: 4

BSchool Forum Moderator

Kudos [?]: 708 [0], given: 44

Concentration: International Business, Marketing
GMAT Date: 06-06-2014
GPA: 3.07
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 09 Jun 2012, 11:03
Argument evaluation:
1st study, 1/3 of HSS (high school seniors) = "significant financial responsibilities" (= food, shelter, clothing for themselves and families)
2nd study; 80% of HSS never take a personal finance class even though 80% of HSS opened bank accounts
1/3 of these accounts holders has bounced a check

=> easy to choose choice C as the correct one.
c)The number of high school seniors with significant financial responsibilities is greater than the number of seniors who have bounced a check.

Rules for posting in verbal gmat forum, read it before posting anything in verbal forum
Giving me + 1 kudos if my post is valuable with you :)

The more you like my post, the more you share to other's need

CR: Focus of the Week: Must be True Question

Kudos [?]: 708 [0], given: 44

Manager
Manager
Affiliations: Project Management Professional (PMP)

Kudos [?]: 81 [0], given: 12

Show Tags

New post 11 Jun 2012, 04:00
C is the correct choice .. use numbers to reach to the sam eanalysis as one-third > (1/3)* 80%

Best
Vaibhav

If you found my contribution helpful, please click the +1 Kudos button on the left, Thanks

Kudos [?]: 81 [0], given: 12

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 54 [0], given: 26

WE 1: 4 yr IT

Show Tags

New post 15 Jul 2012, 00:33
i think the question is wrong. it mentions only percentages. what if only 100 people were surveyed in the first first study and thousand people were surveyed in the second(nowhere is it mentioned the no. of people surveyed is the same). then people having responsibilities is one third of 100=33 approx. now the no. of people whose checks bounced in one third of 80% of 1000=0.3 * 800. which is more than 33. Can the experts throw light on this please?

this time, we play for keeps

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 54 [0], given: 239

GC Meter: A.W.E.S.O.M.E
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, General Management
GMAT 1: 620 Q46 V30
GMAT 2: 720 Q50 V38
Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 15 Jul 2012, 00:46
As far as i have seen, most of math related options (if there is only one among the option) seem to be the OA.

Has anybody else observed this?

You haven't failed, if you haven't given up!
---
bschooladmit
Visit my Blog www.bschooladmit.wordpress.com

Check out my other posts:
Bschool Deadlines 2013-2014 | Bschool Admission Events 2013 Start your GMAT Prep with Stacey Koprince | Get a head start in MBA finance

Kudos [?]: 54 [0], given: 239

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 56 [0], given: 48

GMAT 1: 600 Q44 V29
WE: Information Technology (Consulting)

Show Tags

New post 15 Jul 2012, 03:20
vinzycoolfire wrote:
i think the question is wrong. it mentions only percentages. what if only 100 people were surveyed in the first first study and thousand people were surveyed in the second(nowhere is it mentioned the no. of people surveyed is the same). then people having responsibilities is one third of 100=33 approx. now the no. of people whose checks bounced in one third of 80% of 1000=0.3 * 800. which is more than 33. Can the experts throw light on this please?

i guess that your claim about the number of students surveyed would have made an excellent choice if the question had involved finding an assumption that weakens the argument. However, since we are presented with facts here, the default assumption made must be that the 2 surveys involved the same number, or set of people.

Live Life the Way YOU Love It !! :)

GmatPrep1 [10/09/2012] : 650 (Q42;V38) - need to make lesser silly mistakes.
MGMAT 1 [11/09/2012] : 640 (Q44;V34) - need to improve quant pacing and overcome verbal fatigue.

Kudos [?]: 56 [0], given: 48

Manager
Manager

WE 1: 4 yr IT

Show Tags

New post 15 Jul 2012, 10:04
well thebigr002 imho in must be true questions the answer choice should be backed by the facts provided to you. that means you cannot assume this. in fact you can actually classify an answer as wrong if it is not backed by the facts provided. so i am still not convinced.

this time, we play for keeps

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: [0], given: 0

Show Tags

New post 15 Jul 2012, 23:06
yossarian84 wrote:
According to a recent study on financial roles, one-third of high school seniors say that they have “significant financial responsibilities.” These responsibilities include, but are not limited to, contributing to food, shelter, or clothing for themselves or their families. At the same time, a second study demonstrates that a crisis in money management exists for high school students. According to this study, 80% of high school seniors have never taken a personal finance class even though the same percentage of seniors has opened bank accounts and one-third of these account holders has bounced a check.

Which of the following conclusions can be properly drawn from the statements above?
High schools would be wise to incorporate personal finance classes into their core curricula.
At least one-third of high school seniors work part-time jobs after school.
The number of high school seniors with significant financial responsibilities is greater than the number of seniors who have bounced a check.
Any high school seniors who contribute to food, shelter, or clothing for themselves or their families have significant financial responsibilities.
The majority of high school students have no financial responsibilities to their families.

OA after some discussion.

My option : A
Analysis: Option B false ,because the above info points to 1/3 rd seniors exactly.
Option C: No discussion for checks/bouncing checks is made here.
Option D:These responsibilities include, [highlight]but are not limited to[/highlight]. This says all!!
Option E:This cannot be concluded as the above info says"themselves or their families"

Intern
Intern

Show Tags

New post 15 Jul 2012, 23:14
gmadhav wrote:
yossarian84 wrote:
According to a recent study on financial roles, one-third of high school seniors say that they have “significant financial responsibilities.” These responsibilities include, but are not limited to, contributing to food, shelter, or clothing for themselves or their families. At the same time, a second study demonstrates that a crisis in money management exists for high school students. According to this study, 80% of high school seniors have never taken a personal finance class even though the same percentage of seniors has opened bank accounts and one-third of these account holders has bounced a check.

Which of the following conclusions can be properly drawn from the statements above?
High schools would be wise to incorporate personal finance classes into their core curricula.
At least one-third of high school seniors work part-time jobs after school.
The number of high school seniors with significant financial responsibilities is greater than the number of seniors who have bounced a check.
Any high school seniors who contribute to food, shelter, or clothing for themselves or their families have significant financial responsibilities.
The majority of high school students have no financial responsibilities to their families.

OA after some discussion.

My option : A
Analysis: Option B false ,because the above info points to 1/3 rd seniors exactly.
Option C: No discussion for checks/bouncing checks is made here.
Option D:These responsibilities include, [highlight]but are not limited to[/highlight]. This says all!!
Option E:This cannot be concluded as the above info says"themselves or their families"

:oops: Plz ignore my above analysis.Could not read the passage entirely because the page did nt load completely :cry:

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 255 [0], given: 31

WE: Engineering (Consulting)
According to a recent study on financial roles, one-third of [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 21 Jan 2013, 13:41
This post was
BOOKMARKED

A. High schools would be wise to incorporate personal finance classes into their core curricula.

B. At least one-third of high school seniors work part-time jobs after school.

C. The number of high school seniors with significant financial responsibilities is greater than the number of seniors who have bounced a check.

D. Any high school seniors who contribute to food, shelter, or clothing for themselves or their families have significant financial responsibilities.

E. The majority of high school students have no financial responsibilities to their families.

I got this wrong but when I saw the OA I realised my silly mistake!

Edit: by carcass

Kudos [?]: 255 [0], given: 31

1 KUDOS received
G

Kudos [?]: 8753 [1], given: 1139

Re: According to a recent study on financial roles [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 21 Jan 2013, 14:38
This post received
KUDOS
nave81 wrote:

A. High schools would be wise to incorporate personal finance classes into their core curricula. we have no information about this

B. At least one-third of high school seniors work part-time jobs after school. same as A

C. The number of high school seniors with significant financial responsibilities is greater than the number of seniors who have bounced a check. correct

D. Any high school seniors who contribute to food, shelter, or clothing for themselves or their families have significant financial responsibilities. we already know this, so is not an inference this statement

E. The majority of high school students have no financial responsibilities to their families. never stated in the stimulus

I got this wrong but when I saw the OA I realised my silly mistake!

nex time please insert the question stem

thanks

COLLECTION OF QUESTIONS AND RESOURCES
Quant: 1. ALL GMATPrep questions Quant/Verbal 2. Bunuel Signature Collection - The Next Generation 3. Bunuel Signature Collection ALL-IN-ONE WITH SOLUTIONS 4. Veritas Prep Blog PDF Version 5. MGMAT Study Hall Thursdays with Ron Quant Videos
Verbal:1. Verbal question bank and directories by Carcass 2. MGMAT Study Hall Thursdays with Ron Verbal Videos 3. Critical Reasoning_Oldy but goldy question banks 4. Sentence Correction_Oldy but goldy question banks 5. Reading-comprehension_Oldy but goldy question banks

Kudos [?]: 8753 [1], given: 1139

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 95 [0], given: 21

Concentration: Healthcare, Finance
GPA: 3.87
Re: According to a recent study on financial roles [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 21 Jan 2013, 19:37
100 students

1/3 have sig financial responsibility.

1/3 of 80 bounce check

33>80/3

C works.

Kudos [?]: 95 [0], given: 21

1 KUDOS received
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 172 [1], given: 75

GMAT 1: 670 Q49 V33
WE: Consulting (Telecommunications)

Show Tags

New post 22 Feb 2013, 02:50
This post received
KUDOS

A. High schools would be wise to incorporate personal finance classes into their core curricula. OFS

B. At least one-third of high school seniors work part-time jobs after school. OFS

C. The number of high school seniors with significant financial responsibilities is greater than the number of seniors who have bounced a check.

D. Any high school seniors who contribute to food, shelter, or clothing for themselves or their families have significant financial responsibilities.
Tricky option. Passage does mention about this but in addition it is also mentioned but are not limited to

E. The majority of high school students have no financial responsibilities to their families.
Tricky option. Passage states: one-third of high school seniors say that they have “significant financial responsibilities.” Word significant is key to reject this option

Therefore C.

YOU CAN, IF YOU THINK YOU CAN

Kudos [?]: 172 [1], given: 75

GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend

Kudos [?]: 253 [0], given: 0

Premium Member

Show Tags

New post 20 Nov 2013, 07:35
Hello from the GMAT Club VerbalBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.

GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend

Premium Member

Show Tags

New post 27 Feb 2014, 12:54
Hello from the GMAT Club VerbalBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 7 [0], given: 9

Concentration: Entrepreneurship, International Business

Show Tags

New post 08 Mar 2014, 05:45
1+ for C

1/3 of all seniors > 1/3 of 80% of seniors

Kudos [?]: 7 [0], given: 9

1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 170 [1], given: 148

GMAT ToolKit User

Show Tags

New post 01 Aug 2014, 00:44
This post received
KUDOS
I choose C, agree with the explanations written so far. One question though, how can you be sure that the number of high school seniors questioned from first study equals to the number of high school seniors from the second study.

+1 Kudos please, if you like my post

Kudos [?]: 170 [1], given: 148

Re: According to a recent study on financial roles, one-third of   [#permalink] 01 Aug 2014, 00:44

Go to page   Previous    1   2   3    Next  [ 52 posts ]