Last visit was: 23 Apr 2024, 13:44 It is currently 23 Apr 2024, 13:44

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 88 [56]
Given Kudos: 50
Concentration: Finance, Marketing
Schools:UNC Kenan-Flagler, IU Kelley, Emory GSB
WE 1: 5 yrs
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
Kaplan GMAT Instructor
Own Kudos [?]: 585 [22]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Math Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 618583 [2]
Given Kudos: 81563
Send PM
General Discussion
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 496 [2]
Given Kudos: 2
Schools:Columbia, Johnson, Tuck, Stern
Send PM
Re: According to a recent study on financial roles, one-third of high scho [#permalink]
Kudos
The answer is C.

A. Opinion
B. Out of Scope
C. Correct. Given from arguement, 1/3 of students have significant financial responsibilities. 1/3 of 80% of students have bounced a check. Therefore high school seniors with significant financial responsibilties are greater.
D. The passage lists these as an example of significant financial responsibilities. Not that these actions lead to significant financial responsibilities
E. Passage talks about significant ifnancial responsibilites.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 171 [0]
Given Kudos: 110
Send PM
Re: According to a recent study on financial roles, one-third of high scho [#permalink]
According to a recent study on financial roles, one-third of high school seniors say that they have “significant financial responsibilities.”

According to this statement from the argument, the first study focuses on the high school students in general. So we have to consider all the high school students, not just a specific group.

At the same time, a second study demonstrates that a crisis in money management exists for high school students.

Now, this second study also talks about the same high school students. I think we can safely infer that the number of students being spoken about is the same because there is no distinction made in the argument about the number of students in either study. Both the studies are referring to ALL the high school students in general. The overall strength of all high school students should be taken into consideration.

Taking this into consideration, I think it is pretty clear that C is a clear winner. The numbers and percentages can now be used to show that C must be true.
Board of Directors
Own Kudos [?]: 32860 [1]
Given Kudos: 4453
Send PM
Kudos
nave81 wrote:
According to a recent study on financial roles, one-third of high school seniors say that they have “significant financial responsibilities.” These responsibilities include, but are not limited to, contributing to food, shelter, or clothing for themselves or their families. At the same time, a second study demonstrates that a crisis in money management exists for high school students. According to this study, 80% of high school seniors have never taken a personal finance class even though the same percentage of seniors has opened bank accounts and one-third of these account holders has bounced a check.

Which of the following conclusions can be properly drawn from the statements above?

A. High schools would be wise to incorporate personal finance classes into their core curricula. we have no information about this

B. At least one-third of high school seniors work part-time jobs after school. same as A

C. The number of high school seniors with significant financial responsibilities is greater than the number of seniors who have bounced a check. correct

D. Any high school seniors who contribute to food, shelter, or clothing for themselves or their families have significant financial responsibilities. we already know this, so is not an inference this statement

E. The majority of high school students have no financial responsibilities to their families. never stated in the stimulus

I got this wrong but when I saw the OA I realised my silly mistake!

nex time please insert the question stem

thanks
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 497 [1]
Given Kudos: 75
GMAT 1: 670 Q49 V33
WE:Consulting (Telecommunications)
Send PM
Kudos
According to a recent study on financial roles, one-third of high school seniors say that they have “significant financial responsibilities.” These responsibilities include, but are not limited to, contributing to food, shelter, or clothing for themselves or their families. At the same time, a second study demonstrates that a crisis in money management exists for high school students. According to this study, 80% of high school seniors have never taken a personal finance class even though the same percentage of seniors has opened bank accounts and one-third of these account holders has bounced a check.

Which of the following conclusions can be properly drawn from the statements above?

A. High schools would be wise to incorporate personal finance classes into their core curricula. OFS

B. At least one-third of high school seniors work part-time jobs after school. OFS

C. The number of high school seniors with significant financial responsibilities is greater than the number of seniors who have bounced a check.

D. Any high school seniors who contribute to food, shelter, or clothing for themselves or their families have significant financial responsibilities.
Tricky option. Passage does mention about this but in addition it is also mentioned but are not limited to

E. The majority of high school students have no financial responsibilities to their families.
Tricky option. Passage states: one-third of high school seniors say that they have “significant financial responsibilities.” Word significant is key to reject this option

Therefore C.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 526 [1]
Given Kudos: 148
Send PM
Kudos
I choose C, agree with the explanations written so far. One question though, how can you be sure that the number of high school seniors questioned from first study equals to the number of high school seniors from the second study.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 257
Concentration: Finance, Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 400 Q43 V6
GPA: 2.5
Send PM
C option say number of students but number of students is not mentioned. Only % is mentioned. Need more clarity on this.
Verbal Forum Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 8805 [2]
Given Kudos: 171
Concentration: General Management, Strategy
GPA: 3.2
WE:Information Technology (Consulting)
Send PM
Kudos
chelawatrishabh wrote:
C option say number of students but number of students is not mentioned. Only % is mentioned. Need more clarity on this.

Hi chelawatrishabh,
We can infer actual number from percentage because the group consists of high school students only.

The number of high school seniors with significant financial responsibilities = 1/3 of total students = 33.33% of Total high school seniors

The number of high school seniors who have bounced a check. = number of high school seniors with bank accounts * 1/3 who have bounced a check = (80% of total students)/3 = 26.67% of Total high school seniors

Hope this helps!! :-)
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 84 [0]
Given Kudos: 94
GMAT 1: 620 Q45 V31 (Online)
Send PM
The percentage are from two different studies and talks about percentage , and the answer is given in absolute numbers .
Consider the first study was done amongst 100 high school students so 1/3 of them around 33 high school students have significant financial responsibilities and if the second study was conducted among 1000 high school students 1/3 of 80% of 1000 would be a higher number than the first study.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 25 [0]
Given Kudos: 96
Send PM
more than a conclusioin problem it feels likee a math problem let us calculate significanct financial responsiblities equals 30 per cent those who have bounced check equals 80/3 less than 33 hence C is our freaking answer Bang
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 306 [0]
Given Kudos: 50
GMAT 1: 710 Q49 V38
GPA: 3.25
WE:Account Management (Advertising and PR)
Send PM
I think the question stem should've contained the words "same set of high school students" for both the studies.
It is possible that both the studies were conducted in different high schools with different number of students. In that case numbers cannot be compared when only percentages are given.
I don't think this one is a tight argument as it violates the #1 rule of GMAT CR - Never assume anything.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 9 [0]
Given Kudos: 60
Send PM
I am not sure how can we infer the OA

There is no mention in the passage that the sample size is same for both the studies. Am i missing something here?
Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 1404 [1]
Given Kudos: 74
GMAT 1: 800 Q51 V51
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
vishalsinghvs08 wrote:

There is no mention in the passage that the sample size is same for both the studies. Am i missing something here?

The idea is that the survey results indicate what high school seniors in general have going on.

So, the idea is that the results of the first survey indicate that 1/3 of ALL high school seniors have significant financial responsibilities, and the results of the second survey indicate that 80 percent of ALL high school seniors have never taken a personal finance class even though the same percentage of ALL seniors have opened bank accounts and one-third of these account holders have bounced a check.

That said, survey results don't indicate what "must be true." So, we can't really "properly infer" the OA from the statements in the passage. Rather, the OA is a conclusion that's supported by the passage.

Still, since the OA is the only choice that's logically supported by the passage, we can choose the OA and get this question correct.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 9 [0]
Given Kudos: 60
Send PM
MartyMurray wrote:
vishalsinghvs08 wrote:

The idea is that the survey results indicate what high school seniors in general have going on.

So, the idea is that the results of the first survey indicate that 1/3 of ALL high school seniors have significant financial responsibilities, and the results of the second survey indicate that 80 percent of ALL high school seniors have never taken a personal finance class even though the same percentage of ALL seniors have opened bank accounts and one-third of these account holders have bounced a check.

That said, survey results don't indicate what "must be true." So, we can't really "properly infer" the OA from the statements in the passage. Rather, the OA is a conclusion that's supported by the passage.

Still, since the OA is the only choice that's logically supported by the passage, we can choose the OA and get this question correct.

Thank you, sir. I guess going forward I will stick to this rule
1. For conclusion questions, Find what is supported, not what must be true. Room for slight lee-way
2. For Inference, we find what must-be-true based on the passage. Should be dead close to what can be inferred from the passage, with no external assumptions.

Is my understanding correct here? Please and thank you
Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 1404 [0]
Given Kudos: 74
GMAT 1: 800 Q51 V51
Send PM
Expert Reply
vishalsinghvs08 wrote:
Thank you, sir. I guess going forward I will stick to this rule
1. For conclusion questions, Find what is supported, not what must be true. Room for slight lee-way
2. For Inference, we find what must-be-true based on the passage. Should be dead close to what can be inferred from the passage, with no external assumptions.

Is my understanding correct here? Please and thank you

Yes, your understanding is correct.
GMAT Club Bot
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6917 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts
CR Forum Moderator
832 posts