Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 16:07 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 16:07

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 7799 [174]
Given Kudos: 18
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 42104 [27]
Given Kudos: 422
WE:Education (Education)
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 259 [13]
Given Kudos: 20
Concentration: IT Consulting
GMAT 2: 520
Send PM
General Discussion
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 182 [0]
Given Kudos: 13
Concentration: Finance, General Management
GMAT 1: 750 Q50 V42
GPA: 3.69
WE:Analyst (Mutual Funds and Brokerage)
Send PM
Re: According to a study by the Agricultural Research Service, confinement [#permalink]
Yeah all the other answer choices violate the parallelism rule and can be eliminated
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 473 [1]
Given Kudos: 48
Concentration: Operations, Strategy
Send PM
Re: According to a study by the Agricultural Research Service, confinement [#permalink]
good question .............!!!
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 292 [1]
Given Kudos: 4
Schools: Schulich '16
Send PM
Bookmarks
D

Rather than X to Y

X and Y need to be parallel.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 1763 [3]
Given Kudos: 69
GMAT 1: 660 Q49 V31
GPA: 3.98
Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks
eybrj2 wrote:
According to a study by the Agricultural Research Service, confinement buildings must be adapted to animals, rather than adapting animals to buildings,if farmers want to breed their stock more successfully.

a)

b) instead of the adaptation of animals

c) rather than animals to be adapted

d) rather than animals

e) instead of animals adapting

'rather than' is required to modify noun 'animals'

X must be adapted to Y, rather than Y (adapted to) X

Only D fulfills this condition
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 23 [1]
Given Kudos: 313
Send PM
Kudos
How will we decide which on to use between instead of and rather than ? :|
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 34 [3]
Given Kudos: 246
Concentration: Strategy, Operations
GMAT 1: 690 Q48 V36
GPA: 4
WE:Consulting (Manufacturing)
Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks
shonakshi wrote:
How will we decide which on to use between instead of and rather than ? :|

Instead of - Generally used in the context of substitution (noun). "of" in instead of is a preposition...so it should be followed by a noun.

I like vanilla instead of strawberry

Rather than is used with verbs/nouns. generally GMAT doesn`t test on that split.

Thanks
Balaji
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 300 [0]
Given Kudos: 353
Concentration: General Management, Economics
GMAT 1: 640 Q44 V33
WE:Sales (Telecommunications)
Send PM
Looks like the only difference between C and D is that C is more wordy, right?
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 1779 [2]
Given Kudos: 2562
GMAT 1: 700 Q49 V33
GPA: 3.64
Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks
yeah, this is a common a pattern in gmat, if there are 2 parallel things, the second one can be redundant.
For example, "rather than animals (must be adapted)".
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 41 [0]
Given Kudos: 288
GMAT 1: 680 Q50 V31
Send PM
daagh can you please brief this question
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 9 [1]
Given Kudos: 70
Send PM
Kudos
daagh wrote:
According to a study by the Agricultural Research Service, confinement buildings must be adapted to animals, rather than adapting animals to buildings, if farmers want to breed their stock more successfully.

The meaning of the topic is that, when animals are waiting to deliver the young ones, all facilities such good ventilation, dry bedding, ample water, good walking space, privacy etc should be provided so that the offsprings are healthy. Don't put them in whatever is avaibale handily and make the pregnant animals suffer. This is basic animal husbandry.

(A) rather than adapting animals --- adapting is not parallel to adapted.

(B) instead of the adaptation of animals, ---- the adaptation is not parallel to adapted.

(C) rather than animals to be adapted --- 'to be adapted to buildings' changes the meaning as "to be adapted" is substantially different from 'must be adapted"

(D) rather than animals -- correct choice, with the word adapted being elided here.

(E) instead of animals adapting --- adapting is not parallel to adapted. Meaning also changes.

Hi Daagh,

How do we know when to include the elided word and when not to?

REgards,
Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 2333 [9]
Given Kudos: 135
Concentration: Economics, Finance
Schools: IIMA (A)
GMAT Focus 1:
735 Q90 V85 DI85
GMAT Focus 2:
735 Q90 V85 DI85
GMAT 1: 780 Q51 V47
GRE 1: Q170 V168
Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks
Expert Reply
Here's the official explanation provided by the GMAC for this question:

The given sentence cites a finding that improvement of agricultural stock breeding requires that buildings be adapted to animals, not animals to buildings. The given sentence is not well-formed; in following adapted with the verb form adapting, which does not fit with the verb form must be in the first portion of the construction using rather than, it fails to preserve a required parallelism in verb form. The phrase rather than adaptingbuildings errs in suggesting confinement buildings as the implicit subject of adapting.

Option A: This answer choice fails for the reasons explained above.

Option B: The phrase the adaptation of is nonparallel to adapted. The wording confusingly suggests that the adaptation of animals to buildings is being presented as an alternative to animals, or perhaps to confinement buildings.

Option C: The verbal form to be adapted is not appropriately parallel to adapted and does not fit with the verb form must be in the first portion of the construction using rather than. The wording confusingly suggests that animals to be adapted to buildings is being presented as an alternative to animals, or perhaps to confinement buildings.

Option D: Correct. In this answer choice, the passive verb form adapted is implicit: animals [adapted] to buildings. This phrasing fits with the verb form must be in the first portion of the construction using rather than. So the parallelism with the earlier occurrence of adapted is preserved, and the sentence is coherent and grammatically correct.

Option E: The preposition instead of could be used in place of rather than, but the parallelism requirement, noted for rather than would also apply to use of instead of. The phrase animals adapting to buildings is illogically nonparallel to buildings must be adapted to animals.

The correct answer is D.

Please note that I'm not the author of this explanation. I'm just posting it here since I believe it can help the community.
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 396 [1]
Given Kudos: 2198
Send PM
According to a study by the Agricultural Research Service, confinement [#permalink]
Kudos
[quote="eybrj2"]According to a study by the Agricultural Research Service, confinement buildings must be adapted to animals, rather than adapting animals to buildings, if farmers want to breed their stock more successfully.

(A) rather than adapting animals

(B) instead of the adaptation of animals

(C) rather than animals to be adapted

(D) rather than animals

(E) instead of animals adapting

this is hard. we need to know "instead of " and "rather than" first.

"instead of" is a preposition, which stand before a noun.
1st use
'instead of" connect 2 similar nouns. this use makes "instead of" look like a conjunction because it connect 2 similar things. but "instead of" is a preposition.
I eat rice instead of noodle for my dinner.
2nd use
"Instead of' can stand before doing as a participle. participle is entity which can refer to the subject and modify the whole main clause
instead of learning english, i go out for change. (we dont need 'learning " to be parallel with 'go out" grammatically though they are parallel logically)

"rather than" is conjunction, which connect 2 similar things.
I learn english rather than french
i learn english rather than go out for change.

"rather than" can be used to connect 2 clauses. this use is rare. choice D presents this use

in choice D, "rather than" , still as conjunction, is used to connect 2 clauses. this use is rare because 2 whole clause are different, but not 2 nouns. we normally use "rather than" to say 2 nouns are different.

yesterday, I learned english in the dorm rather than my friend worked in the dorm.

both nouns and verb change , so, we use "rather than" before full clause.

in our choice D, the pattern is similar except the point that ellipsis comes. so , the second clause looks strange.

rather than animal to buildings
this means
rather than animal must be adapted to buildings.

now, we come back to other choices.
choice A. "adapting" must be parallel with any "doing" at the first clause because "rather than" is conjunction. we dont have any "doing", so, it is wrong.
choice B. "adaptation" stand after "instead of" as a preposition, so , (read above ), an entity must be parallel with 'adaptation'. we dont have that entity. it is wrong
choice C. "animal to be adapted" is still a noun phrase. we need another noun to be parallel with it. there is no such a noun. it is wrong.
choice E. "animal adapting" is still a noun. we need a noun to be parallel with it. there is no such a noun. it is wrong

Originally posted by thangvietnam on 19 Nov 2020, 04:46.
Last edited by thangvietnam on 02 Dec 2020, 22:03, edited 1 time in total.
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 396 [0]
Given Kudos: 2198
Send PM
According to a study by the Agricultural Research Service, confinement [#permalink]
[quote="eybrj2"]According to a study by the Agricultural Research Service, confinement buildings must be adapted to animals, rather than adapting animals to buildings, if farmers want to breed their stock more successfully.

(A) rather than adapting animals

(B) instead of the adaptation of animals

(C) rather than animals to be adapted

(D) rather than animals

(E) instead of animals adapting

this is hard. we need to know "instead of " and "rather than" first.

"rather than" is conjunction, which connect 2 similar things.
I learn english rather than french
i learn english rather than go out for change.

in choice D, "rather than" , still as conjunction, is used to connect 2 clauses. this use is rare because 2 whole clause are different, but not 2 nouns. we normally use "rather than" to say 2 nouns are different.

yesterday, I learned english in the dorm rather than my friend worked in the dorm.

both nouns and verb change , so, we use "rather than" before full clause.

the use of "rather than" in choice D means that "rather than" can be used before a clause. this is special use of "rather than" which we have to remember. this is purely grammatical point and not relevant to meaning problem. this question is not basic and is at 700 level

Originally posted by thangvietnam on 19 Nov 2020, 07:37.
Last edited by thangvietnam on 05 Jun 2022, 19:05, edited 1 time in total.
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 223 [1]
Given Kudos: 434
Send PM