Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 02:52 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 02:52

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 63660 [1]
Given Kudos: 1773
GMAT 1: 780 Q51 V46
GMAT 2: 800 Q51 V51
GRE 1: Q170 V170

GRE 2: Q170 V170
Send PM
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 5650 [0]
Given Kudos: 416
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 221 [0]
Given Kudos: 329
GMAT 1: 670 Q50 V31
GMAT 2: 640 Q47 V30
GMAT 3: 700 Q49 V36
GMAT 4: 490 Q39 V18
GPA: 4
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 35 [1]
Given Kudos: 620
Schools: ISB '20 NUS '21
GMAT 1: 420 Q26 V13
GMAT 2: 540 Q44 V21
Send PM
Re: According to a study by the Carnegie Foundation for the Advancement of [#permalink]
Kudos
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 42 [1]
Given Kudos: 368
GPA: 3.99
Send PM
Re: According to a study by the Carnegie Foundation for the Advancement of [#permalink]
Kudos
In this question, there are two parts of transformation to form the ellipsis.
Here are the steps to perform the transformation.

Part I - Changing clause 1 from active voice to passive voice, such that both clauses are in the same voice.
Companies in the United States are providing job training and general education for nearly eight million people (active voice)
to,
There are nearly eight million people received job training and general education (passive voice)

Part II - Combine clause I and II with 'as many as' using the same voice, passive voice

There are nearly eight million people received job training and general education (passive voice)
There are nearly eight million people enrolled in the nation’s four-year colleges and universities.(passive voice)

Then, in the second clause, perform ellipsis by removing the dummy placeholder (there), the repetitious phrase ( eight million) and the subject (people)

There are nearly eight million people received job training and general education
as many as
There are nearly eight million people enrolled in the nation’s four-year colleges and universities.

There are nearly eight million people received job training and general education
as many as ... are ... enrolled in the nation’s four-year colleges and universities.

Finally, reversed the first clause to active voice and combine both the first clause, in active voice, and the second clause, in passive voice.

The result,
Companies in the United States are providing job training and general education for nearly eight million people (active voice)
As many as are enrolled in the nation’s four-year colleges and universities. (passive voice)

Take away:
1. A comparison can have a combination of Active and Passive clauses.
2. When in doubt, modify both clauses such that both are in either passive or active voice
3. Then perform ellipsis to the second clause by removing the dummy placeholder, the repetitious phrase and the subject.
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 63660 [1]

Send PM
Bookmarks
Expert Reply
Quote:
Your explanation makes perfect sense. (as usual!)
But, the reason I eliminated other options was because of some other kind of ambiguity!
Lets make this a simple sentence first -
Companies are providing training to 8 people, about equivalent to the enrollment of the colleges.

I feel we are comparing the "companies" to the "enrollment". Obviously illogical and absurd!
Companies are providing training to 8 people
Equivalent to the training the enrollment provides to 8 people.

All the wrong options have a similar issue. (C) is comparing companies to students in my opinion.

Is my reasoning fine? :?

You're right that the comparison in your example is illogical, but I think the sentence is suggesting that the 8 people are equivalent to the enrollment. This also doesn't make any sense. The size of one population can be similar to the size of another population, but humans don't share characteristics with enrollments.

Quote:
My other (definitely more important) question is - how can u have a food blog and not let us all know about it?

Lol! It's mentioned in my forum signature, but so are a ton of other things. Those other things are general much more useful, so I can't blame anybody for missing the food blog link. :)
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 313 [0]
Given Kudos: 254
WE:General Management (Other)
Send PM
GMATNinja neither Dazbog Coffee nor Starbucks offer cortado...

I read the analysis and comments and cannot understand whether the original NYTimes article is correct. The original articles uses "enrollment in" while option (A) uses "enrollment of"; otherwise, they are the same.

Can you please comment on the above? Thank you.
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 63660 [0]

Send PM
Expert Reply
mykrasovski wrote:
GMATNinja neither Dazbog Coffee nor Starbucks offer cortado...

I read the analysis and comments and cannot understand whether the original NYTimes article is correct. The original articles uses "enrollment in" while option (A) uses "enrollment of"; otherwise, they are the same.

Can you please comment on the above? Thank you.

Fun question! I actually did a little sleuthing and hunted down the original Times article to confirm that it was quoted accurately. (April 2, 1985. A tip of the hat to the GMAC grunt charged with combing through random 30-year-old articles to inspire SC questions.) It was.

This is all a testament to the fact that even professional writers will occasionally produce problematic sentences in prestigious outlets. The sentence in the Times is questionable for exactly the same reason that (A) is questionable. A technical error? No, but not as clear or coherent as the OA, which logically compares one number to another.

So there you have it: the GMAT holds you to a higher standard than the editors of the New York Times hold their journalists! (At least the standard they had in 1985.)

I hope that helps!

(And mykrasovski, bonus points for the Dazbog reference. I'm betting that you're the only other person on this particular thread who has ever been to a Dazbog. :) )
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 313 [0]
Given Kudos: 254
WE:General Management (Other)
Send PM
GMATNinja thank you very much for conducting a small investigation :) The GMAT indeed has very strict standards...

Haha, here is the funny fact. I have walked past multiple Dazbog coffee shops in Cherry Creek and other locations, but have never purchased a cup of coffee in the shop. I did try coffee from Dazbog (my friend got me some) and bought packaged Dazbog coffee in Sawefay. But I am yet to actually walk in the Dazbog store and buy a cup myself :)

So.... "Let's grab some, I am buying" :-D
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 4 [0]
Given Kudos: 88
Send PM
daagh wrote:
The problem with the word equal or equivalent is in its meaning. Equal is a term the denotes all round similarity both in quantity and quality. It is used for an amalgam of several features and not just when one or two attributes are compared between two things.

If we say that Roosevelt was equal to Lincoln, we mean to say that Lincoln and Roosevelt were equally similar in many characters such as dynamism, respect to humanity, reverence to democracy, statesmanship and so on. The word equal can rarely denote material equality alone. That is why the terms, equal or equivalent is slightly out of place in this context, where we just comparing the number of enrollments by two bodies. A, B and C, therefore, fall back due to improper diction.

Between D and E, In D, 'as many as' and' the enrolment of' do not gel; so E.

Daagh Sir, If in Option C ,"equivalent" was used instead of equal would that Option had been correct .
e-GMAT Representative
Own Kudos [?]: 30790 [0]
Given Kudos: 635
GMAT Date: 08-19-2020
Send PM
Expert Reply
anshulvnd5 wrote:
Daagh Sir, If in Option C ,"equivalent" was used instead of equal would that Option had been correct .

Hello anshulvnd5,

Although your question is not for me, here are my two cents on this one. IMHO, yes, Choice would be correct with "equivalent" as well.

Hope this helps. :-)
Thanks.
Shraddha
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 31 [0]
Given Kudos: 7
Send PM
According to a study by the Carnegie Foundation for the Advancement of [#permalink]
I was just watching GMATNinja 's "From great (V40?) to incredible (V45?!) on GMAT SC" video.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PmHDJYtdDOk

I've come across this question.

Can someone please tell me why we cannot use "enrollment" here???

I do not understand why \(D \)is wrong...

In below question, we are okay with the usage of "harvest", but here "enrollment" is considered wrong??????

https://gmatclub.com/forum/in-1979-lack ... l#p1111413

WHY??????

We can compare "41 million tons" to the "harvest", yet we cannot compare "8 million people" to the "enrollment"...
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 201 [0]
Given Kudos: 332
Send PM
According to a study by the Carnegie Foundation for the Advancement of Teaching, companies in the United States are providing job training and general education for nearly eight million people, about equivalent to the enrollment of the nation’s four-year colleges and universities.

(A) equivalent to the enrollment of X

(B) the equivalent of those enrolled in X

(C) equal to those who are enrolled in X

(D) as many as the enrollment of X

(E) as many as are enrolled in CORRECT
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 846 [0]
Given Kudos: 381
Concentration: Strategy, Marketing
GMAT 1: 650 Q49 V29
GPA: 3.81
Send PM
egmat wrote:
anshulvnd5 wrote:

Hello anshulvnd5,

Although your question is not for me, here are my two cents on this one. IMHO, yes, Choice would be correct with "equivalent" as well.

Hope this helps. :-)
Thanks.
Shraddha

I think you meant choice would be INCORRECT with equivalent as well.
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 846 [1]
Given Kudos: 381
Concentration: Strategy, Marketing
GMAT 1: 650 Q49 V29
GPA: 3.81
Send PM
According to a study by the Carnegie Foundation for the Advancement of [#permalink]
Kudos
Maldonado wrote:
I was just watching GMATNinja 's "From great (V40?) to incredible (V45?!) on GMAT SC" video.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PmHDJYtdDOk

I've come across this question.

Can someone please tell me why we cannot use "enrollment" here???

I do not understand why \(D \)is wrong...

In below question, we are okay with the usage of "harvest", but here "enrollment" is considered wrong??????

https://gmatclub.com/forum/in-1979-lack ... l#p1111413

WHY??????

We can compare "41 million tons" to the "harvest", yet we cannot compare "8 million people" to the "enrollment"...

Q1:
Quote:
According to a study by the Carnegie Foundation for the Advancement of Teaching, companies in the United States are providing job training and general education for nearly eight million people, about equivalent to the enrollment of the nation’s four-year colleges and universities.

(D) as many as the enrollment of
(E) as many as are enrolled in

I follow very manual approach ( literal reading) when deal with questions related with comparison .

What D says:
nearly eight million people, about as many as the enrollment of the nation’s four-year colleges and universities.
Here 8 million people are compared with enrollment
What we want:
Compare 8 million people with number of people enrolled

E bridges this gap: you can read B as :

nearly eight million people, about as many as ( quantity ) (WHO? = people) are enrolled in the nation’s four-year colleges and universities.
nearly eight million people, about as many as (number of people- ellipsis) are enrolled in the nation’s four-year colleges and universities.

8 million people vs number of people who are enrolled - Logical comparison; quantity as adjective

Question2:
Quote:
In 1979 lack of rain reduced India's rice production to about 41 million tons, nearly 25 percent less than those of the 1978 harvest.

What we need to compare
41 millions tons ( in 1979) compared with quantity in 1978 --> quantity comparison; quantity as noun

Manual read B:
In 1979 lack of rain reduced India's rice production to about 41 million tons, nearly 25 percent less than the 1978 harvest
Ask question: What is 1978 harvest ?
Not clear?
Go backwards:
Production is 41 million tons
41 millions tons ( 1979 number) is 25% less than some number ( 1978)
Can I say:
This number (41 million) is how much quantity was produced in 1978
Similarly , How much for 1979:
In 1979 we harvested xx million tons
Can I say ?
1979 harvest was xx million tons ( quantity).

For your questions
First question compares <number> people : number as adjective
2nd question compares: a number : number as noun

If 1st question is changed to:
Companies in United States are providing job training and general education to people for nearly eight million, about equivalent to the enrollment of the nation’s four-year colleges and universities.
Now enrollment can be equivalent to quantity .
Original :
8 million people vs number of people enrolled in
Modified: People in quantity vs quantity ; people is common now for both comparison; so comparison is noun vs noun

Another example:
There are 5 people in this room as compared 3 people in that room
Wrong: People in this room are 5 as compared to 3 people in that room.
Production is 41 million in 1979 , 25% below in 1978. (quantity comparison)
Production is 41 million in 1979 , 25% below that (production ) in 1978. (quantity comparison)- what E says

Another approach for Q2:
We only have 2 options to choose : 1978 harvest vs 1978
1978 is not clear. It represents year. But 1978 harvest represent harvest in 1978, harvest can be understood as some quantity

I hope it helps :)

After you understand this concept, you can try next level question:
https://gmatclub.com/forum/traffic-safe ... 15768.html
Here verb can not be omitted.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 3 [0]
Given Kudos: 90
GMAT 1: 620 Q38 V39
GPA: 3.33
WE:Accounting (Consulting)
Send PM
[quote="chalven"]According to a study by the Carnegie Foundation for the Advancement of Teaching, companies in the United States are providing job training and general education for nearly eight million people, about equivalent to the enrollment of the nation’s four-year colleges and universities.

(A) equivalent to the enrollment of

(B) the equivalent of those enrolled in

(C) equal to those who are enrolled in

There is also a problem with the Idioms. The correct form is enrolled IN and NOT enrollment of
Experts' Global Representative
Own Kudos [?]: 4683 [0]
Given Kudos: 38
GMAT Date: 11-01-2019
Send PM
Expert Reply
Paok wrote:
chalven wrote:

(A) equivalent to the enrollment of

(B) the equivalent of those enrolled in

(C) equal to those who are enrolled in

There is also a problem with the Idioms. The correct form is enrolled IN and NOT enrollment of

Hello Paok,

We hope this finds you well.

We are writing to inform you that "enrollment of" is not actually an idiom error. "enrollment of X" is a perfectly idiomatic way to refer to X's enrollment, the collective of those who have enrolled in X.

We hope this helps.
All the best!
Experts' Global Team
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 8
GMAT 1: 770 Q51 V42
GPA: 3.1
Send PM
sayantanc2k wrote:
Shiv2016 wrote:
Hello experts

What is the subject for 'are' in this sentence?

Thanks

Consider the following structure:

I own as many shirts as you own.
I own as many shirts as are owned by you.
I own 4 shirts, as many as are owned by you.

The latter clause in the second and the third sentences are written in passive (the object of the first clause is the subject of the second clause) - the subject (shirts) is omitted from the second clause in the third sentence.

Similarly, in option E the subject "people" has been omitted. The following sentences are written in an analogous way:

Companies are providing training to as many people as colleges enroll.
Companies are providing training to as many people as are enrolled in colleges.
Companies are providing training to 8 million people, as many as are enrolled in colleges.

Very very helpful answer! thanks. But i have one more quesiton. Whether "Companies are providing training to as many people as colleges enroll." equal to "Companies are providing training to people as many as ones colleges enroll.". And I am very puzzeld with the different structures between,"as adj noun as" and " noun as adj noun as". Are they equalled? Appreciate your work.
Experts' Global Representative
Own Kudos [?]: 4683 [1]
Given Kudos: 38
GMAT Date: 11-01-2019
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
tusoa911 wrote:
sayantanc2k wrote:
Shiv2016 wrote:
Hello experts

What is the subject for 'are' in this sentence?

Thanks

Consider the following structure:

I own as many shirts as you own.
I own as many shirts as are owned by you.
I own 4 shirts, as many as are owned by you.

The latter clause in the second and the third sentences are written in passive (the object of the first clause is the subject of the second clause) - the subject (shirts) is omitted from the second clause in the third sentence.

Similarly, in option E the subject "people" has been omitted. The following sentences are written in an analogous way:

Companies are providing training to as many people as colleges enroll.
Companies are providing training to as many people as are enrolled in colleges.
Companies are providing training to 8 million people, as many as are enrolled in colleges.

Very very helpful answer! thanks. But i have one more quesiton. Whether "Companies are providing training to as many people as colleges enroll." equal to "Companies are providing training to people as many as ones colleges enroll.". And I am very puzzeld with the different structures between,"as adj noun as" and " noun as adj noun as". Are they equalled? Appreciate your work.

Hello tusoa911,

We hope this finds you well.

To answer your query, both of these constructions are usable, but the first one is far superior to the second, as it is much more clear; it is unlikely that he second would be used in a correct answer choice.

We hope this helps.
All the best!
Experts' Global Team
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 11 [0]
Given Kudos: 43
Send PM
I am confused about E here. In X as many as Y structure, X and Y should be parallel right? Here people(Subject) and are enrolled(Verb) are not parallel. What am i missing here?
GMAT Club Bot
   1   2   3   
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6920 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts