Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 06:32 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 06:32

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Kudos
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Math Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 618940 [11]
Given Kudos: 81595
Send PM
Veritas Prep Representative
Own Kudos [?]: 2946 [3]
Given Kudos: 63
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 3 [2]
Given Kudos: 30
Schools: ISB '20 (S)
GMAT 1: 690 Q50 V33
GPA: 3.8
Send PM
Verbal Forum Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 8809 [2]
Given Kudos: 171
Concentration: General Management, Strategy
GPA: 3.2
WE:Information Technology (Consulting)
Send PM
Re: According to a study concerning environmental economics, any manufactu [#permalink]
Kudos
According to a study concerning environmental economics, any manufacturer that offers an environmentally sound lawnmower, such as a manual push mower, will almost certainly reap a huge profit because consumers say that they want a mower that requires neither gasoline nor electricity. A spokesman for the trade association of gasoline lawnmower manufacturers asserted that this claim had little factual support.

Type- Strengthen
Boil it down - The claim that an environmentally sound lawnmower, such as a manual push mower, will almost certainly reap a huge profit had little factual support

A. A majority of the public believes that the price of gasoline is too high. - Irrelevant

B. The last manufacturer of manual push lawnmowers just declared bankruptcy because of declining profits. - Correct - If manual push lawnmowers were so profitable, why did those manufacturers declared bankruptcy

C. More people refuse to purchase electric lawnmowers than gasoline lawnmowers. - Irrelevant

D. The profit margin on lawnmowers is very low. - Incorrect - Even if profit margin on lawnmowers is low, the companies might still realize huge profit based on the number of units sold

E. Most people mow their lawns less often then professionals recommend. - Irrelevant

Answer B
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 78 [0]
Given Kudos: 9
GMAT 1: 660 Q51 V27
GMAT 2: 690 Q48 V37
GPA: 4
WE:Consulting (Internet and New Media)
Send PM
Re: According to a study concerning environmental economics, any manufactu [#permalink]
I chose C since I thought that more people opting for gasoline lawn movers is a strong enough reason for electric lawnmowers to not reap profits. On checking the answer, I guess B is right. But I would have definitely chosen C on my exam day. Would C be the correct choice if option B did not exist?
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 24 [0]
Given Kudos: 336
Schools: ISB '23 (S)
GMAT 1: 560 Q43 V23
GMAT 2: 680 Q50 V33
GMAT 3: 710 Q49 V37
GPA: 3.64
Send PM
I choose asnwer A because I thought it contradicts the spokenperson's claim that people want neither gasoline nor electrical lawnmower. May be it is the case that people want gasoline lawnmovers but they prefer not to buy them since the price of gasoline is very high.

I thought the question was about people's preference for a environmentally sound lawnmover. But it looks like I interpreted the question incorrectly. Also, I would like to understand what is the conclusion of the agrument ? May be the problem is I did not understand the conclusion correctly.

Please help me in understanding where is it that I am going wrong and how can I avoid such kind of mistake in the future ?

Thank You
Sonal Chhajed
GRE Forum Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 32902 [0]
Given Kudos: 5777
GPA: 3.62
Send PM
Expert Reply
Official Explanation

This argument cites a claim that the manufacturer of an environmentally sound lawnmower will profit immensely, because consumers say that they want a mower that doesn’t use fossil or electrical fuel. However, there could be a gap between what consumers say they want and what they actually purchase. Any evidence of such a gap would support the spokesperson's counterclaim.

(A) If anything, this statement would support the position that consumers want a non-gasoline powered lawnmower and weaken the spokesperson’s claim.

(B) CORRECT. If manufacturing a manual push mower has recently been unprofitable, then it seems that consumers don't actually buy such mowers, even if they say that they want them. Thus, the study's conclusion is weakened and the claim of the spokesperson is supported.

(C) This choice presents an irrelevant distinction. It doesn’t matter if people prefer gasoline mowers to electric ones because the study’s conclusion claims that people want a mower that is neither -- a claim that the spokesperson contests.

(D) This information is irrelevant to the spokesperson’s claim. Even if the profit margin is low, volume could result in huge profits. Thus, this choice does not weaken the study’s claim or support the manufacturer’s position.

(E) This choice presents an irrelevant distinction that is unrelated to the study’s or the spokesperson’s claims about consumer preferences. Also, this choice does not deny the possibility of large profits.

Answer: B
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 20 [0]
Given Kudos: 42
Send PM
Hi Bunuel. I literally solve only those questions for strengthen that you post on GMAT Club. Can you please let me know if these questions really mirror those asked in Official GMAT? I think the language seems pretty straightforward as compared to that used in OG questions, therefore just wanted to ask.
GMAT Club Bot
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6920 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts
CR Forum Moderator
832 posts