Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 02:38 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 02:38

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Magoosh GMAT Instructor
Own Kudos [?]: 398 [1]
Given Kudos: 20
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [1]
Given Kudos: 154
Send PM
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 63659 [5]
Given Kudos: 1773
GMAT 1: 780 Q51 V46
GMAT 2: 800 Q51 V51
GRE 1: Q170 V170

GRE 2: Q170 V170
Send PM
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 81 [1]
Given Kudos: 245
GPA: 3.3
Send PM
Re: According to a survey of graduating medical students conducted by Asso [#permalink]
Kudos
Is there any difference between starting the independent clause with "it" and "minority graduates"? I initially took out A, B, and C because I didn't think "minority graduates" could be "according to a survey." D and E definitely have glaring mistakes, but I have this doubt..
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 63659 [0]
Given Kudos: 1773
GMAT 1: 780 Q51 V46
GMAT 2: 800 Q51 V51
GRE 1: Q170 V170

GRE 2: Q170 V170
Send PM
Re: According to a survey of graduating medical students conducted by Asso [#permalink]
Expert Reply
akd5 wrote:
Is there any difference between starting the independent clause with "it" and "minority graduates"? I initially took out A, B, and C because I didn't think "minority graduates" could be "according to a survey." D and E definitely have glaring mistakes, but I have this doubt..

Good question. We recently posted an explanation on a different thread that's relevant to this scenario. Check it out, and let us know if you still have doubts?
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 488 [1]
Given Kudos: 252
Concentration: Technology, General Management
GMAT 1: 700 Q47 V40
GMAT 2: 740 Q49 V41 (Online)
WE:Business Development (Venture Capital)
Send PM
Kudos
GMATNinja wrote:
ramuramu1838 wrote:
dear GMATNinja

can u please explain all the options in this question?
in my opinoin C can not be the answer because it changes the meaning
4 times more likely than
has different meaning from
4 times as likely as
thanks and regards

It sounds like you might be falling victim to a common flawed mindset: that the "correct" meaning is given by choice (A) and that you can eliminate another option if it deviates from the meaning implied by choice (A).

This is simply not the case. Even though choice (A) is the first option, it is not special at all and does not give us the "correct" meaning. You have to FIND the sentence where the meaning makes the most sense, regardless of how that sentence compares to choice (A).

So, don't be biased by what you've read in choice (A) when analyzing the other choices!

With that in mind, please read through the rest of the thread and let us know if you still have any questions.

GMATNinja You don't know how much this helped... :heart

Nonetheless, usually I see that you are against us memorizing idioms, so how could we solve this one without them?

As dabaobao wrote:

Quote:
(A) minority graduates are nearly four times more likely than are other graduates in planning to practice - Wrong: 1) Idiom

Idiom alone?

Quote:
(B) minority graduates are nearly four times more likely than other graduates who plan on practicing - Wrong: 1) Structure

Ok, who seems off

Quote:
(C) minority graduates are nearly four times as likely as other graduates to plan on practicing - Correct

RIGHT ONE

Quote:
(D) it is nearly four times more likely that minority graduates rather than other graduates will plan to practice - Wrong: 1) Verb 2) Meaning 3) Wordy

Ok, if we can use simple present, why use future?

Quote:
(E) it is nearly four times as likely for minority graduates than other graduates to plan to practice - Wrong: 1) Idiom 2) Wordy

If idiom or wordiness should not be deciding factors, how can I go forward?
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 201 [0]
Given Kudos: 332
Send PM
Is it correct to say that the 'it' in D and E is acting as an empty it/expletive it? i.e. there is not a pronoun/antecedent error?
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Given Kudos: 44
Send PM
egmat wrote:
kinjiGC wrote:
According to a survey of graduating medical students conducted by the Association of American Medical Colleges, minority graduates are nearly four times more likely than are other graduates in planning to practice in socioeconomically deprived areas.

(A) minority graduates are nearly four times more likely than are other graduates in planning to practice
(B) minority graduates are nearly four times more likely than other graduates who plan on practicing
(C) minority graduates are nearly four times as likely as other graduates to plan on practicing
(D) it is nearly four times more likely that minority graduates rather than other graduates will plan to practice
(E) it is nearly four times as likely for minority graduates than other graduates to plan to practice

According to a survey of graduating medical students conducted by the Association of American Medical Colleges,

minority graduates are nearly four times more likely than are other graduates in planning to practice in socioeconomically deprived areas.

Meaning : According to a survey, MG are nearly four times more likely than OG to plan on practicing Z

Option D) “rather” doesn’t make sense. - Eliminated

Option E) “to plan to practice” there are two intents in the same sentence, making the sentence awkward – Eliminated.

I am confused for Option A/B/C.

One of the rule I follow is more should have “than”. Both A and B satisfy that rule. e-gmat, can you please point out the mistake?

Hi Kinjal,

Thanks for posting your doubt here. :-)

Option A is incorrect because "likely" is not followed by "to verb". This word is always followed by a "to verb". For example: Kinjal is likely to understand this explanation. However, in this choice what we have is "likely... in planning to practice". This is the incorrect idiom here. Now, the other idiom "more... than..." is fine. But it has been out so cleverly between this "likely" idiom that we only focus on that. There is no problem with "four times more likely" here.

Option B is also incorrect for the same reason. In fact, the "who clause" just provided additional information. The whole planning part now belongs to the "other graduates" and do not even relate to "minority graduates" in the main clause.

Option C is the correct answer as it rectifies the idiom error in Choice A. The choice says "likely... to plan on practicing".

Hope this helps. :-)
Thanks.
Shraddha

Hi e-GMAT

Is "four times more likely" same as "four times as likely"? Come of think of it in numbers, I understand these 2 phrase mean different things. Mathematically, 4 times more is 5 times as other. Please point out the error in my understanding.
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 4928 [0]
Given Kudos: 690
Concentration: Accounting
Send PM
Top Contributor
sdrandom1 wrote:
According to a survey of graduating medical students conducted by Association of American Medical College, minority graduates are nearly four times more likely than are other graduates in planning to practice in socioeconomically deprived areas.

(A) minority graduates are nearly four times more likely than are other graduates in planning to practice

(B) minority graduates are nearly four times more likely than other graduates who plan on practicing

(C) minority graduates are nearly four times as likely as other graduates to plan on practicing

(D) it is nearly four times more likely that minority graduates rather than other graduates will plan to practice

(E) it is nearly four times as likely for minority graduates than other graduates to plan to practice

Source : GMATPrep Default Exam Pack

Attachment:
sc03.JPG

Remember GMAT main Formula. The short, meaningful, and simple sentence is more likely to answer. So I eliminated all the answer choices and select C. D and E are started with It which is not clear.

The answer is C. New learning from her is that on practicing is correct with to practice.
e-GMAT Representative
Own Kudos [?]: 30790 [0]
Given Kudos: 635
GMAT Date: 08-19-2020
Send PM
Expert Reply
Algebra2prob wrote:
Hi e-GMAT

Is "four times more likely" same as "four times as likely"? Come of think of it in numbers, I understand these 2 phrase mean different things. Mathematically, 4 times more is 5 times as other. Please point out the error in my understanding.

Hello Algebra2prob,

Thank you for the query and sorry for the late revert.

I am not sure whether you still have this doubt. Here is the response. Well, in the world of Math, there certainly will be some difference in the value obtained by these two expressions. But in Verbal, they almost mean the same and are NOT tested against each other. Hence, I would not about the difference between these two expressions.

Thanks.
Shraddha
e-GMAT Representative
Own Kudos [?]: 30790 [0]
Given Kudos: 635
GMAT Date: 08-19-2020
Send PM
Expert Reply
MHIKER wrote:

Remember GMAT main Formula. The short, meaningful, and simple sentence is more likely to answer. So I eliminated all the answer choices and select C. D and E are started with It which is not clear.

The answer is C. New learning from her is that on practicing is correct with to practice.

Hello MHIKER,

Congratulations on solving this question correctly. Your observation about traits of the correct official answers is correct indeed.

I just want to add that it not that "on practicing" is an incorrect expression. In this sentence, this expression does not work because the correct idiom is "likely TO practice", not "likely on practicing".

Thanks.
Shraddha
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 37 [1]
Given Kudos: 151
Send PM
Kudos
The debate over "four times more likely than" vs "four times as likely as" had me stumped, so based on what I could dig up here is what I found, and why it doesn't matter:

If we say "Y is 4 times as likely (or as much) as X" ---> Y = 4X
But if we say "Y is 4 times more likely than X" ---> Y= 4X + X = 5X

Does it matter that we know exactly how many times (4X as or 4X more) likely minority students are to practice in socioeconomically deprived areas in order to answer the question? No. Because the correct idioms are:
"more likely than" .... "to"
or
"as likely as" .... "to"
which only (C) gets right.
Upon selecting the grammatically correct answer, we can conclude the intended meaning was "four times as likely as"
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Affiliations: CrackVerbal
Own Kudos [?]: 7626 [0]
Given Kudos: 215
Send PM
Top Contributor
CEdward wrote:
Is it correct to say that the 'it' in D and E is acting as an empty it/expletive it? i.e. there is not a pronoun/antecedent error?

Hi,

Let's look at the sentence below-

According to the weather forecast, it is likely to rain today.
According to the weather forecast, what?- It is likely to rain today.

But in the given sentence,
We already have a subject and need not use a placeholder pronoun “it” in its place.

According to a survey, minority graduates are nearly four times as likely as other graduates
Comparing minority graduates with other graduates. Option C is correct.

Please refer to the link below to know more about placeholder pronouns

https://gmatclub.com/forum/pronouns-usa ... l#p1759769

VP
GMAT Verbal SME
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 32 [0]
Given Kudos: 182
GMAT 1: 670 Q49 V33
GMAT 2: 710 Q49 V38
GPA: 3.2
Send PM
sdrandom1 wrote:
According to a survey of graduating medical students conducted by Association of American Medical College, minority graduates are nearly four times more likely than are other graduates in planning to practice in socioeconomically deprived areas.

Attachment:
sc03.JPG

VeritasKarishma MartyTargetTestPrep EducationAisle

Is the comparison in option A fine?
Target Test Prep Representative
Affiliations: Target Test Prep
Own Kudos [?]: 5137 [2]
Given Kudos: 1431
GMAT 1: 800 Q51 V51
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
ashmit99 wrote:
sdrandom1 wrote:

VeritasKarishma MartyTargetTestPrep EducationAisle

Is the comparison in option A fine?

The GMAT prefers "four times as likely" to "four times more likely," which we see in (A), and "four times as likely" is a more effective expression.

At the same time, people use "four times more likely," and many consider that structure acceptable.

So, is the construction in (A) fine? It's not ideal, but it can be considered acceptable.

So, I personally would not necessarily eliminate a choice outright because it uses "four times more likely," and at the same time, if I had to choose between a choice that uses "four times more likely" and a choice that uses "four times as likely," and there were no other clear decision points, I'd choose the choice that uses "four times as likely."
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 11 [0]
Given Kudos: 33
GMAT 1: 600 Q49 V22
Send PM
Is "being four times more likely..." the same as "being four times as likely ..."?
can someone please clarify?
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 9 [0]
Given Kudos: 704
Send PM
According to a survey of graduating medical students conducted by Asso [#permalink]
sdrandom1 wrote:

Correct idiom "...times as likely as" - eliminate (A), (B), (D), and (E). We are left with (C).

Graduates X are 4 times more likely than graduates Y are - ILLOGICAL.

Same as (A)

Now, there's action involved "to plan on practicing." The comparison is between the action of minority and other graduates. CORRECT

More.. rather than = WRONG

"as likely than" = WRONG

Attachment:
sc03.JPG
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 207 [0]
Given Kudos: 189
Send PM
According to a survey of graduating medical students conducted by Asso [#permalink]
KarishmaB EducationAisle ReedArnoldMPREP AjiteshArun

Just to understand my parallelism a bit better - are any of these parallel ?

I was surprised to understand that NONE of these are parallel per the manhattan forums

I have bracketed the X and Y parallel markers for easier reading

As likely as
Quote:
1) It is 4 times as likely (that john will win) as (that Jim will win)
2) It is 4 times as likely that (john will win) as (Jim will win)
3) It is 4 times as likely (for Jim) as (for John) to win

More likely than
Quote:

4) It is 4 times more likely (that Jim will win) than (that john will win)
5) It is 4 times more likely that (Jim will win) than (john will win)
6) It is 4 times more likely that (Jim) than (john) will win
7) It is 4 times more likely that (Jim) rather than (john) will win
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 0 [0]
Given Kudos: 9
Send PM
What would be the correct construction of this sentence if one had to use the "more...than" comparison?
CEO
CEO
Own Kudos [?]: 3528 [0]
Given Kudos: 149
Schools: ISB
GPA: 3.31
Send PM
Expert Reply
bullishdutta wrote:
What would be the correct construction of this sentence if one had to use the "more...than" comparison?

Basically the original sentence, with "in planning to practice" replaced by "to plan on practicing".
GMAT Club Bot
   1   2   3   
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6920 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts