It is currently 28 Jun 2017, 11:03

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

According to Booker T. Whatleys recent analysis, planting

  new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Author Message
TAGS:

Hide Tags

3 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 11 Mar 2007
Posts: 149
According to Booker T. Whatleys recent analysis, planting [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 20 Jul 2007, 15:54
3
This post received
KUDOS
8
This post was
BOOKMARKED
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

  35% (medium)

Question Stats:

63% (02:10) correct 37% (01:13) wrong based on 471 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

According to Booker T. Whatley’s recent analysis, planting the same crops as are planted on large farms will lead to economic disaster for the small farmer, who should plan a succession of high-value crops that will provide a year-round cash flow.

(A) planting the same crops as are planted on large farms will lead to economic disaster for the small farmer, who
(B) it will lead to economic disaster for the small farmer to plant the same crops as on the large farms; they
(C) economic disaster will result from planting the same crops as large farms to the small farmer, who
(D) economic disaster for the small farmer will result from planting the same crops as on the large farms; they
(E) the small farmer planting the same crops as are planted on large farms will lead to economic disaster; they
[Reveal] Spoiler: OA

Last edited by Zarrolou on 17 Jun 2013, 09:15, edited 1 time in total.
Edited the question, added OA.
Manager
Manager
User avatar
Joined: 01 Oct 2010
Posts: 71
Re: SC1000 - booker t whatley [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 01 Oct 2010, 21:51
I am little confused about this usage.. particularly, the "same .. as are" construction.

planting the same crops as are planted on large farms
_________________

Some other posts by me...
My GMAT Journey
Timer Tool for Google spreadsheet
Quant Flash Cards/Pages

700 (Q:49 V:35) - Thanks GMATClub - Test Center experience

1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 15 Apr 2010
Posts: 173
Re: SC1000 - booker t whatley [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 01 Oct 2010, 22:09
1
This post received
KUDOS
The 'small farmer' is singular. So we can cancel out all options which uses 'they' to refer to the farmer.
So B,D,E are out.

We are left with A & C.
(A) planting the same crops as are planted on large farms will lead to economic disaster for the small farmer, who

(C) economic disaster will result from planting the same crops as large farms to the small farmer, who
C is badly formed.

A is the correct answer.
_________________

Give [highlight]KUDOS [/highlight] if you like my post.

Always do things which make you feel ALIVE!!!

Retired Moderator
avatar
Joined: 03 Aug 2010
Posts: 240
Re: SC1000 - booker t whatley [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 26 Oct 2010, 23:45
jb2010 wrote:
I am little confused about this usage.. particularly, the "same .. as are" construction.

planting the same crops as are planted on large farms


Can someone explain the same x as y , constructions and why other chocies are wrong in this problem
_________________

http://www.gmatpill.com/gmat-practice-test/

Amazing Platform

Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 01 Sep 2010
Posts: 43
Re: SC1000 - booker t whatley [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 27 Oct 2010, 21:14
hirendhanak wrote:
jb2010 wrote:
I am little confused about this usage.. particularly, the "same .. as are" construction.

planting the same crops as are planted on large farms


Can someone explain the same x as y , constructions and why other chocies are wrong in this problem


I have the same concern. Please kindly explain the construction. How come "are" is placed in the sentence
2 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 02 Sep 2012
Posts: 248
Location: United States
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Finance
GMAT Date: 07-25-2013
GPA: 3.83
WE: Architecture (Computer Hardware)
According to Booker T. Whatley's recent analysis, planting [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 17 Jun 2013, 09:05
2
This post received
KUDOS
1
This post was
BOOKMARKED
According to Booker T. Whatley's recent analysis, planting the same crops as are planted on large farms will lead to economic disaster for the small farmer, who should plan a succession of high-value crops that will provide a year-round cash flow.
(A) planting the same crops as are planted on large farms will lead to economic disaster for the small farmer, who
(B) it will lead to economic disaster for the small farmer to plant the same crops as on the large farms; they
(C) economic disaster will result from planting the same crops as large farms to the small farmer, who
(D) economic disaster for the small farmer will result from planting the same crops as on the large farms; they
(E) the small farmer planting the same crops as are planted on large farms will lead to economic disaster; they

planting the same crops as(same crops ) are planted on large farms will lead to economic disaster for the small farmer, who

Is this the implied meaning of "as are planted on large farms" in the option A.. Please do explain..
_________________

"Giving kudos" is a decent way to say "Thanks" and motivate contributors. Please use them, it won't cost you anything


Last edited by Zarrolou on 17 Jun 2013, 09:16, edited 1 time in total.
Merging similar topics.
Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 23 Jan 2012
Posts: 66
Location: United States
Concentration: Strategy, Marketing
Schools: ISB '15 (A)
GMAT 1: 700 Q47 V39
WE: General Management (Hospitality and Tourism)
Re: According to Booker T. Whatleys recent analysis, planting [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 17 Jun 2013, 19:58
I think the correct answer is "A".
_________________

Kudos are motivating! :)

1 KUDOS received
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
User avatar
Joined: 07 Nov 2012
Posts: 335
Schools: LBS '14 (A)
GMAT 1: 770 Q48 V48
Re: According to Booker T. Whatley's recent analysis, planting [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 18 Jun 2013, 00:45
1
This post received
KUDOS
skamal7 wrote:
According to Booker T. Whatley's recent analysis, planting the same crops as are planted on large farms will lead to economic disaster for the small farmer, who should plan a succession of high-value crops that will provide a year-round cash flow.
(A) planting the same crops as are planted on large farms will lead to economic disaster for the small farmer, who
(B) it will lead to economic disaster for the small farmer to plant the same crops as on the large farms; they
(C) economic disaster will result from planting the same crops as large farms to the small farmer, who
(D) economic disaster for the small farmer will result from planting the same crops as on the large farms; they
(E) the small farmer planting the same crops as are planted on large farms will lead to economic disaster; they

planting the same crops as(same crops ) are planted on large farms will lead to economic disaster for the small farmer, who

Is this the implied meaning of "as are planted on large farms" in the option A.. Please do explain..


Hi Skamal,

Yes sort of. A long wordy version of A would be something like

According to Booker T. Whatley's recent analysis, planting the same crops as those which are are planted on large farms will lead to economic disaster for the small farmer, who should plan a succession of high-value crops that will provide a year-round cash flow.

Hope that makes sense.

James
_________________

Former GMAT Pill student, now on staff. Used GMATPILL OG 12 and nothing else: 770 (48,48) & 6.0



... and more

GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
User avatar
Joined: 01 Oct 2013
Posts: 10147
Premium Member
Re: According to Booker T. Whatleys recent analysis, planting [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 19 Jun 2015, 06:13
Hello from the GMAT Club VerbalBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
avatar
Joined: 27 Dec 2013
Posts: 305
Re: According to Booker T. Whatleys recent analysis, planting [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 19 Jun 2015, 11:03
Option A.. Tricky one. Took me 3 minutes to figure out the answer.

helpmeongmat wrote:
According to Booker T. Whatley’s recent analysis, planting the same crops as are planted on large farms will lead to economic disaster for the small farmer, who should plan a succession of high-value crops that will provide a year-round cash flow.

(A) planting the same crops as are planted on large farms will lead to economic disaster for the small farmer, who
(B) it will lead to economic disaster for the small farmer to plant the same crops as on the large farms; they
(C) economic disaster will result from planting the same crops as large farms to the small farmer, who
(D) economic disaster for the small farmer will result from planting the same crops as on the large farms; they
(E) the small farmer planting the same crops as are planted on large farms will lead to economic disaster; they

_________________

Kudos to you, for helping me with some KUDOS.

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
avatar
Joined: 27 Dec 2013
Posts: 305
Re: According to Booker T. Whatleys recent analysis, planting [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 19 Jun 2015, 11:05
Option A.. Tricky one. Took me 3 minutes to figure out the answer.

helpmeongmat wrote:
According to Booker T. Whatley’s recent analysis, planting the same crops as are planted on large farms will lead to economic disaster for the small farmer, who should plan a succession of high-value crops that will provide a year-round cash flow.

(A) planting the same crops as are planted on large farms will lead to economic disaster for the small farmer, who
(B) it will lead to economic disaster for the small farmer to plant the same crops as on the large farms; they
(C) economic disaster will result from planting the same crops as large farms to the small farmer, who
(D) economic disaster for the small farmer will result from planting the same crops as on the large farms; they
(E) the small farmer planting the same crops as are planted on large farms will lead to economic disaster; they

_________________

Kudos to you, for helping me with some KUDOS.

Math Forum Moderator
User avatar
P
Status: Greatness begins beyond your comfort zone
Joined: 08 Dec 2013
Posts: 1251
Location: India
Concentration: General Management, Strategy
GPA: 3.2
WE: Information Technology (Consulting)
GMAT ToolKit User Reviews Badge CAT Tests
Re: According to Booker T. Whatleys recent analysis, planting [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 17 Oct 2015, 11:34
"Small farmer" is singular . So B , D and E can be elimnated because all these options use they to refer to the farmer.
Between A and C , A is better as it shows the cause effect relationship in proper order . Also C is awkward .
_________________

When everything seems to be going against you, remember that the airplane takes off against the wind, not with it. - Henry Ford
The Moment You Think About Giving Up, Think Of The Reason Why You Held On So Long
+1 Kudos if you find this post helpful

Re: According to Booker T. Whatleys recent analysis, planting   [#permalink] 17 Oct 2015, 11:34
    Similar topics Author Replies Last post
Similar
Topics:
33 According to a recent poll, owning and living in a ssandeepan 36 26 May 2017, 22:18
18 Experts publish their posts in the topic According to a recent study of consumer spending on eybrj2 15 08 May 2016, 02:09
12 Experts publish their posts in the topic According to the Federal Trade Commission, the recent GetThisDone 21 12 Aug 2016, 17:27
3 According to a recent study, the elderly in the United WhyabloodyMBA 14 20 May 2016, 02:14
1 According to some botanists, invasive plants are the second mymba99 6 11 Jun 2017, 03:20
Display posts from previous: Sort by

According to Booker T. Whatleys recent analysis, planting

  new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  


GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap

Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group and phpBB SEO

Kindly note that the GMAT® test is a registered trademark of the Graduate Management Admission Council®, and this site has neither been reviewed nor endorsed by GMAC®.