Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 23:40 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 23:40

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Kudos
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 500 [69]
Given Kudos: 185
GMAT 1: 710 Q49 V39
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 500 [4]
Given Kudos: 185
GMAT 1: 710 Q49 V39
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 27 [4]
Given Kudos: 46
Concentration: Strategy, Operations
WE:Business Development (Other)
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 27 [3]
Given Kudos: 195
Send PM
Re: According to government figures, the rate of people treated for melano [#permalink]
Kudos
I still have doubt whether it's E. I will still go with A.
Request GMATNinja to comment.
Target Test Prep Representative
Affiliations: Target Test Prep
Own Kudos [?]: 5137 [2]
Given Kudos: 1431
GMAT 1: 800 Q51 V51
Send PM
According to government figures, the rate of people treated for melano [#permalink]
Kudos
Expert Reply
RahulHGGmat wrote:
Request your explanation on this.

I thought A is the perfect assumption as E is itself a conclusion.

Hoping for a prompt response on this from your side.

You analysis is correct. (A) is the best choice since arriving at the conclusion requires assuming that there is not an alternative explanation for the change.

Also, (E) is not a necessary assumption. The support for the conclusion does not depend on any assumption about the number of cases of melanoma in the future.

Originally posted by MartyTargetTestPrep on 29 Dec 2020, 07:19.
Last edited by MartyTargetTestPrep on 29 Dec 2020, 22:45, edited 1 time in total.
Volunteer Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 6858 [2]
Given Kudos: 500
Re: According to government figures, the rate of people treated for melano [#permalink]
Kudos
Expert Reply
RahulHGGmat wrote:
Request your explanation on this.

I thought A is the perfect assumption as E is itself a conclusion.

Hoping for a prompt response on this from your side.

Hello, RahulHGGmat. I see that Marty has already beaten me to the punch, but I will merely add that I was not convinced with any of the answer choices, whose details work against them. I echo what nightblade354 has written above, in this post. (If my back were against the wall and I had to select the best of the five options presented, I would go with Marty.)

- Andrew
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 415 [1]
Given Kudos: 778
Send PM
Kudos
A kind of statistics is given that X is increasing.
and this statistics has proved that efforts to halt ozone layer depletion have been unsuccessful.

so assumption is that x will continue to increase if ozone depletion is not halted by government.
E is absolutely correct.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [1]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Kudos
How is A not correct?

If negate A,
The increase in the rate of people treated for melanoma DID result from an improved ability to detect the disease at a treatable stage of development.
Then the conclusion would be wrong. Increase in treatments is not because the efforts failed, it is because more people can be detected early.

Assumption+Evidence=Conclusion
E itself feels like a restate of conclusion, not an assumption.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 14 [1]
Given Kudos: 2
Send PM
Kudos
Assumption is a bridge that connects premises and conclusion. All actions that we have in the statement were done in the past. How can be E the right answer if it states facts about the future?

BS! And folks who are trying to sell E as a correct answer, do you really think that E is logical or you just want to feed your ego? ?

Posted from my mobile device
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 7 [1]
Given Kudos: 5
GPA: 4
Send PM
Kudos
If you look carefully, the question asks for assumption.

Option A is a weakener as it is refutes the fact that the Ozone is getting depleted by suggesting an alternate that the disease is being diagnosed more because of improved medical equipment's. Something that weakens the conclusion cannot be an assumption

Option E on the contrary certifies the fact that Ozone depletion is the sole reason for the disease and will continue to increase because of CFC's in the atmosphere. Hence an assumption.

Own Kudos [?]: 2 [1]
Given Kudos: 4
Send PM
Kudos
E is incorrect as it is saying about future increase of rate. The stem talks about the increased rate from 1980 till present time.
A removes a alternate reason for the action to happen and hence should be correct.
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 2221 [1]
Given Kudos: 199
GMAT 1: 680 Q49 V34
Send PM
Kudos
Quote:
According to government figures, the rate of people treated for melanoma, a deadly form of skin cancer, has increased dramatically since 1980. These statistics prove that efforts to halt the destruction of the ozone layer, which serves to filter out the cancer-causing ultraviolet rays of the sun, have been largely unsuccessful.

The conclusion of the argument above depends on which of the following assumptions?

A) The increase in the rate of people treated for melanoma did not result from an improved ability to detect the disease at a treatable stage of development.

B) The chances that an individual who contracts melanoma will survive have not improved since 1980.

C) Due to improvements in medical technology, melanoma patients are more likely to live longer after detection of the disease than they were in 1980.

D) It is highly unlikely that medical researchers will discover a cure for melanoma at any time in the foreseeable future.

E) The rate of melanoma will continue to increase unless the government poses a ban on the use of chlorofluorocarbons, which are largely responsible for the destruction of the ozone layer.

KAPLAN OFFICIAL EXPLANATION

Identify the Question Type:

The phrase "the argument above depends on which of the following assumptions" tells us that this is an Assumption question. When we have an Assumption question, we need to identify the evidence and conclusion, and then find the assumption that links the two together.

Untangle the Stimulus:

Conclusion: Efforts to stop the destruction of the ozone layer have been unsuccessful.

Evidence: The number of" people treated for melanoma, a deadly form of skin cancer ," has increased considerably since 1980. The ozone layer filters out the cancer causing rays of the sun.

Predict the Answer:

We need to determine the assumption that links the evidence to the author’s conclusion. The author assumes that the increase in treatment for melanoma is the related to the destruction of the ozone because it is the ozone that blocks out cancer-causing rays of the sun

Evaluate the Choices:

The only Answer Choice that logically supports the author’s conclusion is Choice (E) that the number of melanoma cases will continue to rise unless the government poses bans on chemicals that are known to destroy the ozone layer.

Choice (A): is out of scope; detecting the disease at a treatable stage is irrelevant to this argument.

Choice (B): is out of scope. Survivor rates of patients with melanoma are not mentioned.

Choice (C): is out of scope. Advancements to medical technology are not relevant to the author’s argument.

Choice (D): is out of scope. A cure for melanoma is not the focus of the author’s argument.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 16 [0]
Given Kudos: 4
Send PM
meetnikhil wrote:
I still have doubt whether it's E. I will still go with A.
Request GMATNinja to comment.
I wants to present my reason behind choosing option E...
Option E directly attacks the conclusion ...chlofloro carbons destroy ozone ..inturn causing increase in cancer particals..
Whereas A gives indirect solution..simply saying ..it is other reason rather than the reason given in conclusion...
Hope it helps

Sent from my SM-J700F using GMAT Club Forum mobile app
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 307 [0]
Given Kudos: 273
Concentration: Marketing, Technology
GMAT 1: 630 Q44 V33
GMAT 2: 690 Q47 V37
GMAT 3: 710 Q50 V37
GPA: 3.25
WE:Marketing (Telecommunications)
Send PM
The most useful technique to find assumption is to negate the assumption and see whether it weakens conclusion. If so, then this is our assumption. Let's negate it:

E. The rate of melanoma will NOT continue to increase unless ... ban on ... chlorofluorocarbons, responsible for the destruction of the ozone layer.

AND WHAT? It has no effect on the conclusion:

... efforts to halt the destruction of the ozone layer ... have been largely unsuccessful.

Just forget this question and move on.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Given Kudos: 28
Concentration: Nonprofit, International Business
GPA: 3.7
WE:Operations (Other)
Send PM
GMATNinja, Could you please explain this OA?
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 7 [0]
Given Kudos: 14
GMAT 1: 700 Q48 V38
GMAT 2: 710 Q49 V38
GPA: 3.01
Send PM
A) The increase in the rate of people treated for melanoma did not result from an improved ability to detect the disease at a treatable stage of development.Trick answer, as the argument is regarding the ozone, not about the disease
B) The chances that an individual who contracts melanoma will survive have not improved since 1980.Out of scope
C) Due to improvements in medical technology, melanoma patients are more likely to live longer after detection of the disease than they were in 1980.Out of Scope
D) It is highly unlikely that medical researchers will discover a cure for melanoma at any time in the foreseeable future.Out of Scope
E) The rate of melanoma will continue to increase unless the government poses a ban on the use of chlorofluorocarbons, which are largely responsible for the destruction of the ozone layer.Correct
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 153 [0]
Given Kudos: 445
Schools: IIM (II)
GMAT 1: 640 Q46 V32
GPA: 3.84
Send PM
Option E is kind of strengthening. Assumption should be IMO A.

REGARDS,
TAMAL

Posted from my mobile device
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 0 [0]
Given Kudos: 255
Send PM
ccording to government figures, the rate of people treated for melanoma, a deadly form of skin cancer, has increased dramatically since 1980. These statistics prove that efforts to halt the destruction of the ozone layer, which serves to filter out the cancer-causing ultraviolet rays of the sun, have been largely unsuccessful.

The conclusion of the argument above depends on which of the following assumptions?

A) The increase in the rate of people treated for melanoma did not result from an improved ability to detect the disease at a treatable stage of development.
B) The chances that an individual who contracts melanoma will survive have not improved since 1980.
C) Due to improvements in medical technology, melanoma patients are more likely to live longer after detection of the disease than they were in 1980.
D) It is highly unlikely that medical researchers will discover a cure for melanoma at any time in the foreseeable future.
E) The rate of melanoma will continue to increase unless the government poses a ban on the use of chlorofluorocarbons, which are largely responsible for the destruction of the ozone layer.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 85 [0]
Given Kudos: 109
Send PM
E when negated is weakening the argument.
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 733 [1]
Given Kudos: 362
Concentration: General Management, Finance
GMAT 1: 730 Q47 V44
GPA: 3.4
Send PM