GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 20 Nov 2018, 18:21

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel
Events & Promotions in November
PrevNext
SuMoTuWeThFrSa
Open Detailed Calendar
  • All GMAT Club Tests are Free and open on November 22nd in celebration of Thanksgiving Day!

November 22, 2018

November 22, 2018

10:00 PM PST

11:00 PM PST

Mark your calendars - All GMAT Club Tests are free and open November 22nd to celebrate Thanksgiving Day! Access will be available from 0:01 AM to 11:59 PM, Pacific Time (USA)
  • Free lesson on number properties

November 23, 2018

November 23, 2018

10:00 PM PST

11:00 PM PST

Practice the one most important Quant section - Integer properties, and rapidly improve your skills.

According to his own account, Frederic-Auguste Bartholdi,

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Manager
Manager
Concentration: Finance, Real Estate
GMAT Date: 12-27-2011
WE: Law (Law)
GMAT ToolKit User
Re: Statue of Libery - SC  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 20 Jun 2011, 08:15
c d and e are comparing the body/face to the mother/wife and not to their body/face and like can't be used to compare the modled face and the face iself.
its B
Retired Moderator
Concentration: International Business, Marketing
GMAT Date: 06-06-2014
GPA: 3.07
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member Reviews Badge
Re: According to his own account, Frederic-Auguste Bartholdi,  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 03 Dec 2011, 05:26
"model after" is correct idiom. The right answer is B. Agree with all guys above.

CR: Focus of the Week: Must be True Question

Intern
Intern
Concentration: Strategy, Marketing
WE: Marketing (Internet and New Media)

Show Tags

New post 21 Jun 2012, 21:32
Hi All

I choose I eliminated 3 wrong then right like most of the times. Isn't mother's and wife's referring face and body ??

I hope you guys got what i am trying to say
Regards
Re

“The best time to plant a tree was 20 years ago. The second best time is now.” – Chinese Proverb

Intern
Intern

Show Tags

New post 02 Jul 2012, 18:14
What's the difference between the following options?

1. modeled ... like ...
2. modeled ... after...

Thanks,
Diana
Intern
Intern
Concentration: Technology, Leadership
GPA: 3.7
WE: Engineering (Other)
GMAT ToolKit User

Show Tags

New post 05 Aug 2012, 19:36
dianamao wrote:
What's the difference between the following options?

1. modeled ... like ...
2. modeled ... after...

Thanks,
Diana

Both can be used in this context, but options with like are ambiguous. They are not clear if face is modeled like face, and same with the body.

The option would be correct with like if it was something like

Modeled the statue's face like his mother's face, and body like his wife's body.

Image Posted from GMAT ToolKit

Do not dwell in the past, do not dream of the future, concentrate the mind on the present moment.

Push +1 kudos button please, if you like my post.

Intern
Intern
GMAT Date: 09-17-2012
According to his own account, Frederic- Auguste Bartholdi,  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 22 Aug 2012, 07:17
According to his own account, Frederic-¬Auguste Bartholdi, the sculptor of the Statue of Liberty, modeled the face of the statue like his mother’s and the body like his wife’s.

(A) modeled the face of the statue like his mother’s and the body like his wife’s
(B) modeled the face of the statue after that of his mother and the body after that of his wife
(C) modeled the face of the statue like his mother and the body like his wife
(D) made the face of the statue after his mother and the body after his wife
(E) made the face of the statue look like his mother and the body look like his wife
Retired Moderator
D
Status: worked for Kaplan's associates, but now on my own, free and flying
WE: Education (Education)
Re: According to his own account, Frederic-¬Auguste  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 22 Aug 2012, 10:04
The correct idiom is modelled after and not modelled like as in A. B is the right choice for using the preposition after modelled and for using correct possessives such as face that of his mother and body as that of his wife

you can know a lot about something and not really understand it."-- a quote
No one knows this better than a GMAT student does.
Narendran +9198845 44509

Manager
Manager
Schools: Tepper '15 (WL)
Re: According to his own account, Frederic-¬Auguste  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 22 Aug 2012, 10:55
What daagh said. I would like to add that I initially thought that D was correct but I had to check myself to make sure that I wasn't being tricked by colloquial English. Choice D means that the statue's face would look like the mother (head, shoulders, legs, hands, everything) which would look really strange. Choice B means that the statue's face would like the his mother's face :D
Magoosh GMAT Instructor
Re: According to his own account, Frederic- Auguste Bartholdi,  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 24 Aug 2012, 12:40
The correct idiom is 'modeled...after.'

Even if one doesn't know the idiom, one can still eliminate (A) and (C) based on meaning. If Frederic modeled the face like his mother, this is ambiguous. Do we mean that his mother modeled it in the same way? (in which case the proper word is 'as').

Hope that helps!

Christopher Lele
Magoosh Test Prep

Manager
Manager
According to his own account, Frederic- Auguste Bartholdi,  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 11 Sep 2012, 06:32
According to his own account, Frederic-¬Auguste Bartholdi, the sculptor of the Statue of Liberty, modeled the face of the statue like his mother’s and the body like his wife’s.(A) modeled the face of the statue like his mother’s and the body like his wife’s
(B) modeled the face of the statue after that of his mother and the body after that of his wife
(E) made the face of the statue look like his mother and the body look like his wife
Manager
Manager
Concentration: Strategy, General Management
GMAT 1: 670 Q49 V33
WE: Asset Management (Manufacturing)
Re: According to his own account, Frederic-¬Auguste Bartholdi,  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 11 Sep 2012, 08:17
Correct idiom is "model (something) after (something else)"

jitgoel wrote:
According to his own account, Frederic-¬Auguste Bartholdi, the sculptor of the Statue of Liberty, modeled the face of the statue like his mother’s and the body like his wife’s.

(A) modeled the face of the statue like his mother’s and the body like his wife’s >> like is wrong
(B) modeled the face of the statue after that of his mother and the body after that of his wife >> Correct
(C) modeled the face of the statue like his mother and the body like his wife >> Like is wrong
(D) made the face of the statue after his mother and the body after his wife >> wrong reference
(E) made the face of the statue look like his mother and the body look like his wife >> like is wrong, also wrong reference

My mantra for cracking GMAT:
Everyone has inborn talent, however those who complement it with hard work we call them 'talented'.

+1 Kudos = Thank You Dear :)
Are you saying thank you?

Intern
Intern
GMAT 1: 650 Q46 V34
GPA: 3.3
WE: Consulting (Accounting)
Re: According to his own account, Frederic- Auguste Bartholdi,  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 11 Sep 2012, 09:01
I think it should be B too.
Correct idiom, like premnath said, should be molded after.

I think the take away from this question is to understand the parallelism "face of the statue after that of his mother ...". "Face of" and "that of" should be parallel.
Manager
Manager
Re: According to his own account, Frederic-¬Auguste Bartholdi,  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 11 Sep 2012, 10:24
premnath wrote:
Correct idiom is "model (something) after (something else)"

jitgoel wrote:

(A) modeled the face of the statue like his mother’s and the body like his wife’s >> like is wrong
(B) modeled the face of the statue after that of his mother and the body after that of his wife >> Correct
(C) modeled the face of the statue like his mother and the body like his wife >> Like is wrong
(D) made the face of the statue after his mother and the body after his wife >> wrong reference
(E) made the face of the statue look like his mother and the body look like his wife >> like is wrong, also wrong reference

Can you please explain why 'E' is wrong? And let me know how to mugup the Idioms and what is the best source for the same. If you have some let me know.
Manager
Manager
Premium Member

Show Tags

New post 21 Jun 2013, 04:40
This doesn't look like a GMAT question. The OA looks wrong. Check out the meaning of the statement. Are we saying he modeled the face of the sculpture after modeling the mother's face and then modeled the body after modeling his wife's body?

Posted from my mobile device

Blog: The MBA Journey of an African Doctor

Blog updated: July 27, 2014

Intern
Intern

Show Tags

New post 21 Jun 2013, 07:20
knightofdelta wrote:
This doesn't look like a GMAT question. The OA looks wrong. Check out the meaning of the statement. Are we saying he modeled the face of the sculpture after modeling the mother's face and then modeled the body after modeling his wife's body?

Posted from my mobile device

i too eliminated "B" for same reason
"A" conveys meaning properly but lacks parallelism.
If i am not wrong even "C" distorts meaning
"modeled the face like his mother" <== conveys he modeled the face the way he did his mother's

expect..please help guys
Manager
Manager
Concentration: Finance, Accounting
GMAT 1: 660 Q47 V34
GMAT 2: 700 Q48 V39
GPA: 3.59
WE: Accounting (Law)

Show Tags

New post 21 Jun 2013, 10:36
This question tests comparisons and consistency:

(A) modeled the face of the statue like his mother's and the body like his wife's
The phrasing is okay, but there is a bit of an unknown. "modeled the face of the statue like his mother's ????" It's not explicit what he modeled after his mother.

This phrasing is a bit wordy but it makes sense. Notice the comparisons:
modeled the face of the statue after that of his mother

Here's a color coding:

the face of the statue
that of his mother

Notice the consistency in the phrasing. the face = that, of = of, the statue = his mother. The same applies "the body" and "that of his wife. It's wordy, but the comparison is correct.

This statement implies he "modeled the face of the statue" like he "modeled his mother". He did not "model his mother"

This phrasing implies the sculptor made the face of the statue after he made his mother. The sculptor did not "make" his mother.

Similar to C, this implies the "face" looks like his "mother" and the "body" looks like his "wife". The meaning is distorted because the face should look like his mother's face, not his mother.
Intern
Intern

Show Tags

New post 21 Jun 2013, 21:19
kple12 wrote:
This question tests comparisons and consistency:

(A) modeled the face of the statue like his mother's and the body like his wife's
The phrasing is okay, but there is a bit of an unknown. "modeled the face of the statue like his mother's ????" It's not explicit what he modeled after his mother.

This phrasing is a bit wordy but it makes sense. Notice the comparisons:
modeled the face of the statue after that of his mother

Here's a color coding:

the face of the statue
that of his mother

Notice the consistency in the phrasing. the face = that, of = of, the statue = his mother. The same applies "the body" and "that of his wife. It's wordy, but the comparison is correct.

This statement implies he "modeled the face of the statue" like he "modeled his mother". He did not "model his mother"

This phrasing implies the sculptor made the face of the statue after he made his mother. The sculptor did not "make" his mother.

Similar to C, this implies the "face" looks like his "mother" and the "body" looks like his "wife". The meaning is distorted because the face should look like his mother's face, not his mother.

got ya!!
Thanks nicely explained :)
Intern
Intern
Concentration: Marketing
Schools: BRAC University - Class of 2014
GPA: 3.28

Show Tags

New post 22 Jun 2013, 01:58
Modeled after is the correct idiom. Therefore, B is the answer.
Intern
Intern
B
Concentration: Finance, Marketing
GMAT 1: 660 Q44 V37
CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 22 Jun 2013, 09:29
GmatPython wrote:
Modeled after is the correct idiom. Therefore, B is the answer.

I too go with B. Modeled after is the correct idiom

If you like my post, consider giving me KUDOS :-)

Manager
Manager
B
Schools: IIMA PGPX"20
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member

Show Tags

New post 19 Jun 2015, 05:24
VeritasPrepBrian wrote:
Hey Rath's - you're absolutely correct that the possessive "mother's" refers to the face, so A would be correct were it not for the meaning of "modeled like" vs. "modeled after". "Modeled like" means that he did the modeling in a way that the mother's face would have, and that's not a logical meaning. "Modeled after" means that he made the face look like that of the mother's.

I hate saying that it's an idiomatic thing because it's really more of a meaning issue, but I do think that it's one of those questions that may have been fair 10-15 years ago when it was an American test but that may not be all that fair in the >50%-of-tests-taken-outside-the-US days. I just don't know how common it is for international students to note that particular distinction. But you should know that meaning issues are very testable, so the ideology behind that question is definitely fair game.

Hi Brian
I have a question.
I understand the subtlely between Modeled Like and Modeled After.
But in this question we are just comparing the nouns(Statue face like mother's face) and not the action of modeling.
Please correct my understanding.

Infact please let us know which one of them is the correct meaning.
1) modeled the face of the statue like his mother’s
In this I am taking away the meaning that he modeled something that looked like his mother's face.
2)modeled the face of the statue like his mother’s
In this I am taking away the meaning that he modeled the face like he modeled his mother's face.

Thanks

Feel Free to Press Kudos if you like the way I think :).

GMAT Club Bot
Re: According to his own account, Frederic-Auguste Bartholdi, &nbs [#permalink] 19 Jun 2015, 05:24

Go to page   Previous    1   2   3    Next  [ 52 posts ] 

According to his own account, Frederic-Auguste Bartholdi,

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Copyright

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap