Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 17:00 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 17:00

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 1088 [78]
Given Kudos: 2
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
Senior SC Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 35486 [20]
Given Kudos: 9464
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 32 [11]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
General Discussion
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 3 [3]
Send PM
Re: According to Interstudy, a nonprofit organization that studies health [#permalink]
Kudos
According to Interstudy, a nonprofit organization that studies health maintenance organizations (HMO’s), they estimate that, in comparison to last year, when only 36 percent of the nation’s 607 HMO’s was profitable, this year 73 percent will be.

(A) they estimate that, in comparison to last year, when only 36 percent of the nation’s 607 HMO’s was profitable, this year 73 percent will be

(B) compared to only 36 percent of the nation’s 607 HMO’s being profitable last year, they estimate 73 percent would be this year

(C) only 36 percent of the nation’s 607 HMO’s were profitable last year; it estimates that this year 73 percent will be

(D) it estimates 73 percent of the nation’s 607 HMO’s would be profitable this year; last year that was only 36 percent

(E) only 36 percent of the nation’s 607 HMO’s last year were profitable, whereas they estimate it this year to be 73 percent
A- they is plural reference
B-they plural
C-ambiguas reference
D-corrrect
E-they is plural reference
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 4614 [9]
Given Kudos: 99
Send PM
Re: According to Interstudy, a nonprofit organization that studies health [#permalink]
Kudos
Bookmarks
noboru wrote:
46. According to Interstudy, a nonprofit organization that studies health maintenance organizations (HMO’s), they estimate that, in comparison to last year, when only 36 percent of the nation’s 607 HMO’s was profitable, this year 73 percent will be.

(A) they estimate that, in comparison to last year, when only 36 percent of the nation’s 607 HMO’s was profitable, this year 73 percent will be
(B) compared to only 36 percent of the nation’s 607 HMO’s being profitable last year, they estimate 73 percent would be this year
(C) only 36 percent of the nation’s 607 HMO’s were profitable last year; it estimates that this year 73 percent will be
(D) it estimates 73 percent of the nation’s 607 HMO’s would be profitable this year; last year that was only 36 percent
(E) only 36 percent of the nation’s 607 HMO’s last year were profitable, whereas they estimate it this year to be 73 percent

it is between C and D. In D,I think, 'it' doesn't sound right as a subject. and 'that' after semi colon refers to what? 'profit' or 'Interstudy'?

I pick C..
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 193 [3]
Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks
The sentence tests modifier
A and D are out as they unnecessarily use pronouns. B & E have pronoun error. B also uses being wrongly.

C is the clear winner.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 349 [3]
Given Kudos: 7
Concentration: Finance, Business Consulting
 Q44  V25 GMAT 2: 600  Q50  V22
Send PM
Kudos
C for me at the first instant..

According to Interstudy, a nonprofit organization that studies health maintenance organizations (HMO’s), only 36 percent of the nation’s 607 HMO’s were profitable last year; it estimates that this year 73 percent will be.

The correct part of the sentence needs to be followed by the clause itself.. Hence, leaves choice C and E. E is incorrect cos the choice uses "they".
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 229 [0]
Given Kudos: 33
Concentration: Finance, General Management
GMAT Date: 10-01-2011
WE:Web Development (Consulting)
Send PM
Was stuck between C and D. Chose D because C had a construction "estimate...will be". I know "will" is only used for certainty. How can estimation be so certain? Can someone please explain? But, D has a bigger problem of "year" getting "modified" by "that" clause. Both of them are faulty. In these cases, does anyone know which one to choose?
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 212 [2]
Given Kudos: 62
Send PM
Kudos
sgupta0827 wrote:
Was stuck between C and D. Chose D because C had a construction "estimate...will be". I know "will" is only used for certainty. How can estimation be so certain? Can someone please explain? But, D has a bigger problem of "year" getting "modified" by "that" clause. Both of them are faulty. In these cases, does anyone know which one to choose?

According to Interstudy, a nonprofit organization that studies health maintenance organizations (HMO’s), they estimate that, in comparison to last year, when only 36 percent of the nation’s 607 HMO’s was profitable, this year 73 percent will be.

ok - I go by the meaning.....and then to the Logic....and then the grammar,etc
A - Wrong grammatically (beginning with THEY - no referrent)
B - Grammar - 1 - Comapared To [X}, [Y] - Parallelism issue,
2 - (they estimate 73 percent) should be (they estimate THAT 73 percent)
C - Meaning fine, Logic fine, Grammar (yes, some ppl noticed - estimates that.....will be) is wrong construction - But kept it aside because did not feel this to be a make/break issue
D - Wrong grammatically (beginning with IT - no referrent)
E - Grammar - 1 - (607 HMO’s last year were profitable) should be (607 HMO’s last year being profitable)
2 - [X], WHEREAS [Y] - Parallelism error
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 8532 [0]
Given Kudos: 2
Schools:CBS
 Q50  V37
WE 1: 4 years (Consulting)
Send PM
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 1938 [5]
Given Kudos: 48
Send PM
Kudos
noboru wrote:
Whats wrong in D with "it"?
Thanks.

the problem is with the structure.
According to Interstudy, an organization, it estimates

the following construction is not only correct but also sounds right.
According to Interstudy, an organization, only 607 HMO’s were profitable last year
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 66 [2]
Send PM
Kudos
2 points:

The performer of the estimation is a single institude, so any choice mentioning 'they' which is referring to the institude is false.

so A , B , E are out

In D, 'last year that was only 36 percent' is ambiguous, since the word 'that' has no reference.
according to the context, 'that' should refer to 'the percentage of HWO's that are profitable'; but this is not explicitly mentioned in the sentence. So D is out.

Originally posted by egoistwlv on 23 Oct 2011, 20:10.
Last edited by egoistwlv on 24 Oct 2011, 00:32, edited 1 time in total.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 6 [0]
Given Kudos: 21
GMAT 1: 710 Q47 V40
GMAT 2: 620 Q49 V21
GPA: 2.9
Send PM
In the OA, C, isn't the "36 percent of nation" singular? Can someone explain why it is being considered plural?
CR Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 15266 [3]
Given Kudos: 26
Schools:
GMAT 1: 780 Q50 V47
WE:Corporate Finance (Pharmaceuticals and Biotech)
Send PM
Kudos