Summer is Coming! Join the Game of Timers Competition to Win Epic Prizes. Registration is Open. Game starts Mon July 1st.

It is currently 20 Jul 2019, 11:03

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

According to local farmers, the recent significant decline in the yiel

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Manager
Manager
S
According to local farmers, the recent significant decline in the yiel  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 13 Jan 2019, 11:02
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

25% (medium)

Question Stats:

79% (01:31) correct 21% (01:27) wrong based on 52 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

According to local farmers, the recent significant decline in the yield of Einkorn, a variety of wheat cultivated primarily in Ingrostia, is due to the unfavorable weather conditions last year. However, a government spokesperson recently made a statement claiming that the yield of Einkorn has declined because of the decline in the usage of pesticides by the local farmers.

Which of the following, if true, most seriously calls the spokesperson’s claim into question?

A) Weather conditions in Ingrostia have been the same this year as they were last year.
B) Einkorn has been losing its popularity to another variety of wheat called Durum that requires cheaper seeds and fewer fertilizers.
C) The yield of Spelt, a variety of wheat grown in Ingrostia that requires the same weather conditions as Einkorn but is extremely resistant to pests has also declined.
D) The spokesperson is not from an agricultural background, whereas the farmers are more knowledgeable about agricultural conditions
E) The global yield of Einkorn has been lower this year than in the previous years.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
P
GMAT 1: 660 Q50 V30
Reviews Badge
According to local farmers, the recent significant decline in the yiel  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 13 Jan 2019, 21:21
Premise: Farmers claim: Bad weather -----> Bad Yield

Spokesperson's claim: less use of fertilizer -----> Bad Yield

PRE-THINKING: Trick is that We just need to focus on Spokesperson's Argument so if there is some evidence that similar crop having the similar requirement to grow as wheat but on which farmers have not decreased the amount of fertilizer used but whose yield decrease that would be enough

A) Weather conditions in Ingrostia have been the same this year as they were last year. IRRELEVANT

B) Einkorn has been losing its popularity to another variety of wheat called Durum that requires cheaper seeds and fewer fertilizers. Out of Scope

C) The yield of Spelt, a variety of wheat grown in Ingrostia that requires the same weather conditions as Einkorn but is extremely resistant to pests has also declined. CORRECT in line with the pre thinking

D) The spokesperson is not from an agricultural background, whereas the farmers are more knowledgeable about agricultural conditions IRRELEVANT

E) The global yield of Einkorn has been lower this year than in the previous years. IRRELEVANT
Manager
Manager
G
Concentration: Strategy, Leadership
Reviews Badge
Re: According to local farmers, the recent significant decline in the yiel  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 13 Jan 2019, 21:31
Spelt without pesticide, as given in the option c, is as resistant to pests as Einkorn with good amount of pesticides.

Thus, as given that both need same weather, if spelt production fall, then there must be some other reason to fall of production of both the
Crops, than reduction of pesticides.

Posted from my mobile device
G
Concentration: Strategy, Leadership
Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 13 Jan 2019, 21:43
Ana4001 wrote:
Why a is wrong?

Posted from my mobile device

It tells us that weather might not be the reason.. But it doesn't say anything related to spokesperson's claim ie pesticides. It doesn't tell if reduction in pesticides is the cause or not.
Do not forget to give kudos to both the posts, if i am of any help.
According to local farmers, the recent significant decline in the yiel   [#permalink] 13 Jan 2019, 21:43

According to local farmers, the recent significant decline in the yiel

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics