It is currently 23 Oct 2017, 23:06

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

According to one expert, the cause of genetic irregularities in many b

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

BSchool Forum Moderator

Kudos [?]: 722 [0], given: 44

Concentration: International Business, Marketing
GMAT Date: 06-06-2014
GPA: 3.07
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member Reviews Badge
Re: According to one expert, the cause of genetic irregularities in many b [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 20 Nov 2011, 08:32
devinawilliam83 wrote:
2. According to one expert, the cause of genetic irregularities in many breeds of dog is not so much that dogs are being bred for looks or to meet other narrow criteria as that the breeds have relatively few founding members.
A. the cause of genetic irregularities in many breeds of dog is not so much that dogs are being bred for looks or to meet other narrow criteria
B. the cause of genetic irregularities in many breeds of dog is not as much their being bred for looks or meeting other narrow criteria as much

C, D, E is out because of its ambiguous antecedent when go after "according to...". We only need evaluate choice A and B. Choice B is not parallel. So, only choice A is correct one.

Rules for posting in verbal gmat forum, read it before posting anything in verbal forum
Giving me + 1 kudos if my post is valuable with you :)

The more you like my post, the more you share to other's need

CR: Focus of the Week: Must be True Question

Director
Director

Kudos [?]: 299 [0], given: 16

Concentration: International Business, General Management
GPA: 3.86
WE: Accounting (Commercial Banking)
Re: According to one expert, the cause of genetic irregularities in many b [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 21 Nov 2011, 05:51
Initially thought E but now i agree with A

+1 Kudos If found helpful..

Kudos [?]: 299 [0], given: 16

1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 292 [1], given: 7

Show Tags

New post 27 Feb 2012, 00:41
This post received
KUDOS
This post was
BOOKMARKED
Q. According to one expert, the cause of genetic irregularities in many breeds of dog is not so much that dogs are being bred for looks or to meet other narrow criteria as that the breeds have relatively few founding members.
A. the cause of genetic irregularities in many breeds of dog is not so much that dogs are being bred for looks or to meet other narrow criteria
B. the cause of genetic irregularities in many breeds of dog is not as much their being bred for looks or meeting other narrow criteria as much
C. it is not so much the cause of genetic irregularities in many breeds of dog that they are being bred for looks or meeting other narrow criteria as much
D. it is not so much the cause of genetic irregularities in many breeds of dog is their being bred for looks or meeting other narrow criteria so much
E. it is not so much the cause of genetic irregularities in many breeds of dog to be bred for looks or to meet other narrow criteria

I marked B thinking about the "not as much " "as much as that" structure ....please explain.

The Best Way to Keep me ON is to give Me KUDOS !!!
If you Like My posts please Consider giving Kudos

Shikhar

Kudos [?]: 292 [1], given: 7

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 84 [0], given: 72

Concentration: Strategy
GMAT 1: 660 Q44 V37
GPA: 3.28
WE: Military Officer (Military & Defense)

Show Tags

New post 27 Feb 2012, 01:15
shikhar wrote:
Q. According to one expert, the cause of genetic irregularities in many breeds of dog is not so much that dogs are being bred for looks or to meet other narrow criteria as that the breeds have relatively few founding members.
C. it is not so much the cause of genetic irregularities in many breeds of dog that they are being bred for looks or meeting other narrow criteria as much
D. it is not so much the cause of genetic irregularities in many breeds of dog is their being bred for looks or meeting other narrow criteria so much
E. it is not so much the cause of genetic irregularities in many breeds of dog to be bred for looks or to meet other narrow criteria

I marked B thinking about the "not as much " "as much as that" structure ....please explain.

Dear Shikhar ,
Even i was confused between A & B but if you see B has one problem:
their being bred ---
other narrow criteria as much .
i am not able to locate tha to whom does their address . So i marked A.

If you like my post, Press +1 KUDO. It is the best way to say Thanks .

Kudos [?]: 84 [0], given: 72

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 24 [0], given: 29

WE 1: Information Technology(Retail)

Show Tags

New post 27 Feb 2012, 07:16
Hi Shikhar,

I too marked B first:(
A is correct due to the idiom use -
Not As Much(that) X As(that) Y.
Also, as gladiator999 pointed out its not clear to what "Their" refers to.

Kudos [?]: 24 [0], given: 29

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 292 [0], given: 7

Show Tags

New post 27 Feb 2012, 08:04
But it says Not so much X as Y is that also acceptable ??

The Best Way to Keep me ON is to give Me KUDOS !!!
If you Like My posts please Consider giving Kudos

Shikhar

Kudos [?]: 292 [0], given: 7

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 12 [0], given: 29

Concentration: General Management, Marketing
GMAT 1: 630 Q47 V29
GMAT 2: 540 Q41 V23
GMAT 3: 610 Q39 V35
WE: Programming (Computer Software)

Show Tags

New post 27 Feb 2012, 11:19
+1 for A

In B,

their being bred for looks or meeting -> Not parallel

Character is what you have left when you've lost everything you can lose!

Obliterated into oblivion 630 -> 540 -> A Big SOS!

Kudos [?]: 12 [0], given: 29

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 51 [0], given: 20

Show Tags

New post 27 Feb 2012, 16:07
C, D and E are straightway out since the sentence construction is aqward and wordy.

Out of A and B, B has improper usage of As much... as...

Answer :- A

Kudos [?]: 51 [0], given: 20

Director
Director

Kudos [?]: 196 [0], given: 37

Show Tags

New post 27 Feb 2012, 18:56
BigNasty wrote:
+1 for A

In B,

their being bred for looks or meeting -> Not parallel

Parallelism is not the issue here. Actually parallelism is correct in B.

their being bred for looks or [their] meeting other narrow .

B has the incorrect idiom : not as much X .... as much Y . The correct idiom is not as much X .... as Y . The idiomatic usage in A, so much X as Y is accetable.

Crick

Kudos [?]: 196 [0], given: 37

BSchool Forum Moderator

Concentration: International Business, Marketing
GMAT Date: 06-06-2014
GPA: 3.07
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 27 Feb 2012, 23:01
shikhar wrote:

C, D, E are eliminated because modifier problem (The initial modifier is "according to one expert")

In choice B "as" does not going with "much as that" in the nearly end of sentence.

Choice A is correct because of parallelism "... is not so much that dogs..." paralleled with "...criteria as that..."

so much as ... as ...

Rules for posting in verbal gmat forum, read it before posting anything in verbal forum
Giving me + 1 kudos if my post is valuable with you :)

The more you like my post, the more you share to other's need

CR: Focus of the Week: Must be True Question

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 3 [0], given: 17

Show Tags

New post 01 Dec 2014, 03:36
esledge wrote:
This tests the idiom "not so much X as Y." Some examples:

1. My poor grade is due not so much to my failure to do my homework as to my failure to submit it on time.
2. The root of our confusion is not so much combinatorics as factorials fundamentally.
3. They did not so much dance as float across the floor.

Parallelism is required between X and Y. In the examples above, the parallelism is between:
1. prepositional phrases
2. nouns
3. verbs

Hi esledge,
i approached this question the following way. please confirm if i am on the right track. Dday in 9 days, please help

According to one expert, the cause of genetic irregularities in many breeds of dog is not so much that dogs are being bred for looks or to meet other narrow criteria as that the breeds have relatively few founding members.

(A) the cause of genetic irregularities in many breeds of dog is not so much that dogs are being bred for looks or to meet other narrow criteria - proper idiomatic usage. Correct
(B) the cause of genetic irregularities in many breeds of dog is not as much their being bred for looks or meeting other narrow criteria as much
(C) it is not so much the cause of genetic irregularities in many breeds of dog that they are being bred for looks or meeting other narrow criteria as much - same as E
(D) it is not so much that the cause of genetic irregularities in many breeds of dog is their being bred for looks or meeting other narrow criteria so much
(E) it is not so much the cause of genetic irregularities in many breeds of dog to be bred for looks or to meet other narrow criteria - it doesnt refer to anything.

Kudos [?]: 3 [0], given: 17

Current Student

Kudos [?]: 226 [0], given: 49

GMAT 1: 610 Q49 V25
GMAT 2: 730 Q50 V40

Show Tags

New post 31 May 2015, 22:20
According to one expert, the cause of genetic irregularities in many breeds of dog is not so much that dogs are being bred for looks or to meet other narrow criteria as that the breeds have relatively few founding members.

In the first go, I knew the following:
1. I could not say for certain if the right answer is right, because I am always suspicious of the use of "being". So I will go by POE.
2. Also I knew that the structure at least should be "the cause is not so much X as Y". This eliminates C,D and E.

A. the cause of genetic irregularities in many breeds of dog is not so much that dogs are being bred for looks or to meet other narrow criteria - Hold on.
B. the cause of genetic irregularities in many breeds of dog is not as much their being bred for looks or meeting other narrow criteria as much - a "that" is missing after "as much...". The non-underlined part of the sentence has "as that the breeds have..", so the underlined part must have " as much that their being.." for parallelism. Secondly, there are 2 purposes why dogs are being bred - "for looks" or "to meet some other criteria", NOT "meeting other criteria". Hence that is incorrect too.
C. it is not so much the cause of genetic irregularities in many breeds of dog that they are being bred for looks or meeting other narrow criteria as much - Incorrect as per pre-thinking
D. it is not so much the cause of genetic irregularities in many breeds of dog is their being bred for looks or meeting other narrow criteria so much - Incorrect as per pre-thinking
E. it is not so much the cause of genetic irregularities in many breeds of dog to be bred for looks or to meet other narrow criteria - Incorrect as per pre-thinking

Please consider giving Kudos if you like my explanation :)

Kudos [?]: 226 [0], given: 49

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 32 [0], given: 20

Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Strategy
Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 23 Aug 2015, 10:56
(A) the cause of genetic irregularities in many breeds of dog is not so much that dogs are being bred for looks or to meet other narrow criteria. Correct
(B) the cause of genetic irregularities in many breeds of dog is not as much their being bred for looks or meeting other narrow criteria as much. Wrong
(C) it is not so much the cause of genetic irregularities in many breeds of dog that they are being bred for looks or meeting other narrow criteria as much. Wrong
(D) it is not so much that the cause of genetic irregularities in many breeds of dog is their being bred for looks or meeting other narrow criteria so much. Wrong
(E) it is not so much the cause of genetic irregularities in many breeds of dog to be bred for looks or to meet other narrow criteria. correct parallelism but wrong due to other reasons. "It is not so much" is wordy.

In a sentence, AND, OR and BUT maintains strict parallelism. Sentence structure just before and after these words should be in parallel form.
I hope my reasoning is correct for this question.

Commitment is about stretching your capabilities. It can take you across all obstacles!!

Kudos [?]: 32 [0], given: 20

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 0

WE: Brand Management (Consumer Products)
GMAT ToolKit User Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 20 Sep 2015, 05:43
“the cause of genetic “ modifies the first sentence “ according to..”, there is a parallelism maker “ as” so that the phrase “ that dogs “ parallel to “ that the breeds”. So choice A is correct.

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 0

GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend

Kudos [?]: 264 [0], given: 0

Premium Member

Show Tags

New post 26 Sep 2017, 23:18
Hello from the GMAT Club VerbalBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.

Kudos [?]: 264 [0], given: 0

Manager
Manager
B

Kudos [?]: 9 [0], given: 69

GMAT 1: 620 Q49 V25
GPA: 3.75
WE: Web Development (Consulting)
Reviews Badge CAT Tests
According to one expert, the cause of genetic irregularities in many b [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 20 Oct 2017, 13:20
tejal777 wrote:

(A) the cause of genetic irregularities in many breeds of dog is not so much that dogs are being bred for looks or to meet other narrow criteria

(B) the cause of genetic irregularities in many breeds of dog is not as much their being bred for looks or meeting other narrow criteria as much
The idiom used in this option is not AS MUCH xxxxx AS yyyy. But in the non underlined portion [color=#ff00ff]AS is followed by THAT, so we need THAT after not AS MUCH as well. Thus, incorrect.[/color]

(C) it is not so much the cause of genetic irregularities in many breeds of dog that they are being bred for looks or meeting other narrow criteria as much

(D) it is not so much the cause of genetic irregularities in many breeds of dog is their being bred for looks or meeting other narrow criteria so much

(E) it is not so much the cause of genetic irregularities in many breeds of dog to be bred for looks or to meet other narrow criteria

Though this question can be solved just knowing the correct format of the idiom NOT SO MUCH xxxxxx AS yyyyyy, where xxxxxx and yyyyyy should be parallel. Only option A follows this format. So Correct. But knowing the correct usage of BEING is also beneficial for more difficult questions.

Analysing the usage of BEING in option A :
(A) the cause of genetic irregularities in many breeds of dog is not so much that dogs are being bred for looks or to meet other narrow criteria

This usage of being falls under its second correct usage :
Correct Usage 2 - When passive continuous verb tense is required to communicate the meaning. For example:
The residents of this 100-year old apartment complex are being evacuated because of structural instability of the building.
Notice the verb tense here - are being evacuated-present continuous written in passive voice. If you don't see the helping verb - anything such as is, are, was, were will be. would be , and so on-, before being, then be sure ' being is not being used properly.

Kudos [?]: 9 [0], given: 69

According to one expert, the cause of genetic irregularities in many b   [#permalink] 20 Oct 2017, 13:20

Go to page   Previous    1   2   [ 36 posts ] 

According to one expert, the cause of genetic irregularities in many b

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap