It is currently 22 Oct 2017, 00:08

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

According to psychoanalytic theory, people have unconscious beliefs th

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 95 [0], given: 57

WE 1: 2 IT
WE 2: 4 Software Analyst
Re: According to psychoanalytic theory, people have unconscious beliefs th [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 15 Mar 2011, 20:51
priyankur_saha@ml.com wrote:
Premise: Repression kept conscious thought from being unconscious.
Premise: Recent Research shows that decrease in anxiety reveals those unconsciousness.

I think that this should be an inference question because Assumption question must have a clear conclusion.

(A) Changes in the patient’s anxiety level during therapy can generally be used as an accurate measure of the extent to which the patient is becoming conscious of previously repressed beliefs.
-- Too much specific "accurate measure"
(B) Even when one of a patient’s unconscious beliefs remains unconscious, researchers are sometimes able to discover this belief.
-- this is nowhere mentioned.
(C) If psychoanalytic theory is correct, then most conscious beliefs originate as unconscious beliefs.
-- Again too specific.
(D) Researchers were able to distinguish expressed beliefs that had previously been unconscious from those that had long been conscious but that the patient had not previously expressed.
-- Yes. OA is the same
(E) Although the beliefs on which the mechanism of repression works are all unconscious, the operation of the mechanism itself is something of which patients are consciously aware. -- New information OOS

nice explanation! it was btw (C) and (D) for me, i picked (C) :|

Kudos [?]: 95 [0], given: 57

Director
Director

Kudos [?]: 279 [0], given: 51

Re: According to psychoanalytic theory, people have unconscious beliefs th [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 30 Apr 2011, 01:44
took me 2:09 minutes to get to D, A can be discarded because it talks about 'changes' not about reduction in anxiety level . A seems to establish (direct) proportionality as a relationship between change in anxiety level and consciousness of the patient in understanding repressed belief.

shell game again.

What is of supreme importance in war is to attack the enemy's strategy.

Kudos [?]: 279 [0], given: 51

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 9

Schools: LBS '14
GMAT Date: 10-24-2011

Show Tags

New post 27 Sep 2011, 23:40
GMATaddict wrote:
priyankur_saha@ml.com wrote:
I've got this one right but I am posting here to know whether my reasoning was correct. Please provide your explanation.

According to psychoanalytic theory, people have unconscious beliefs that are kept from becoming conscious by a psychological mechanism termed “repression.” Researchers investigating the nature of this mechanism observed occasions on which a patient undergoing therapy became aware of and expressed a previously unconscious belief. They found that such occasions were marked by an unusual decrease in the patient’s level of anxiety.
If the information above is true, and if the researchers’ investigation was properly conducted, then which of the following must also be true?
(A) Changes in the patient’s anxiety level during therapy can generally be used as an accurate measure of the extent to which the patient is becoming conscious of previously repressed beliefs.
(B) Even when one of a patient’s unconscious beliefs remains unconscious, researchers are sometimes able to discover this belief.
(C) If psychoanalytic theory is correct, then most conscious beliefs originate as unconscious beliefs.
(D) Researchers were able to distinguish expressed beliefs that had previously been unconscious from those that had long been conscious but that the patient had not previously expressed.
(E) Although the beliefs on which the mechanism of repression works are all unconscious, the operation of the mechanism itself is something of which patients are consciously aware.

I think (A) is the best. It seems consistent with the original info that suggests changes in anxiety level --> changes in repression mechanism --> awareness of unconscious belief

(B) The original info suggests patients EXPRESSED beliefs AFTER becoming aware of them, so this cannot be concluded from the info.
(C) Can't be determined by info.
(D) can't be determined
(E) don't know, can't be determined.

Why A is not an answer? Because the decrease of anxiety level may be a sign of previously unconscious beliefs but not "an accurate measure of the extent."
Why not B? Because the stimulus said nothing about "discovering unconscious beliefs" when they still remains unconscious.
Why not C or E? No information given.
Why D? In the stimulus, as a conclusion, researchers FOUND that the level of anxiety decreases unusually WHEN the patient becomes aware of previously unconscious belief. Therefore, by unusual decrease they can distinguish what has been unconscious from what has been conscious but not expressed.

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 9

Manager
Manager
Affiliations: Aidha

Kudos [?]: 81 [0], given: 43

Concentration: Finance, General Management
GMAT 1: 680 Q46 V37
GMAT 2: 620 Q49 V27
GMAT 3: 700 Q49 V36
WE: Other (Other)

Show Tags

New post 28 Sep 2011, 03:06
I don't understand how it is an assumption question. I was confused between D and E and chose E because my understanding of the question says that its an inference question and E is the closest.

If my post did a dance in your mind, send me the steps through kudos :)

My MBA journey at http://mbadilemma.wordpress.com/

Kudos [?]: 81 [0], given: 43

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 12 [0], given: 0

Show Tags

New post 03 Dec 2011, 03:44
“According to psychoanalytic theory, people have unconscious beliefs that are kept from becoming conscious by a psychological mechanism termed repression.”

From this we know there are two situations, unconscious and conscious.

Situation (A)
“Researchers investigating the nature of this mechanism observed occasions on which a patient undergoing therapy became aware of and expressed a previously unconscious belief” – this is one of our premise, which explains situation A.

Situation (B)
By deductive logic, we infer there are other occasions when people consciously inhibit their expressions and emotions.

Situation (A) -Results
“They found that such occasions were marked by an unusual decrease in the patient’s level of anxiety”

Situation (B) Results
By deductive logic, we infer a different set of results from situation (B), where there is an impedance of expressions and which causes heart rate to rise suddenly.

Reseachers are differentiating these two conditions.

(A) is wrong because “..accurate measure of the extent…” is no where in the stimulus.

squeakvm

Kudos [?]: 12 [0], given: 0

BSchool Forum Moderator

Kudos [?]: 719 [0], given: 44

Concentration: International Business, Marketing
GMAT Date: 06-06-2014
GPA: 3.07
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 06 Dec 2011, 07:30
Argument: Researchers investigating the nature of this mechanism observed occasions on which a patient undergoing therapy became aware of and expressed a previously unconscious belief. They found that such occasions were marked by an unusual decrease in the patient’s level of anxiety.

My boldface is what mentioned in choice D. So, choice D is easy correct answer.

Rules for posting in verbal gmat forum, read it before posting anything in verbal forum
Giving me + 1 kudos if my post is valuable with you :)

The more you like my post, the more you share to other's need

CR: Focus of the Week: Must be True Question

Kudos [?]: 719 [0], given: 44

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: [0], given: 11

WE 1: 2.10

Show Tags

New post 02 Apr 2012, 04:12
I had A and D as the top.. but A is too extreme with all... So went with D.. without option D being true the argument dont stand a chance whether the study hold true for the end result...

Kudos [?]: [0], given: 11

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 54 [0], given: 55

Show Tags

New post 12 May 2012, 00:01
bibha wrote:
D is fine. But, can anyone explain...what is wrong with E?

(E) Although the beliefs on which the mechanism of repression works are all unconscious, the operation of the mechanism itself is some thing of which patients are consciously aware.

we cannot say that patients are aware about how the mechanism operates. They just become aware about their previously unconscious beliefs.

Kudos [?]: 54 [0], given: 55

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 16 [0], given: 9

Show Tags

New post 26 Oct 2012, 10:25
I chose D, but I'm starting to think my logic for attacking it was all wrong, so if someone can help me reason out whether my logic was sound or not, kudos will be given :P.

Basically, the way I approached this was to write down the conclusion: "Occasions" + decrease in anxiety occurred simultaneously. The occasions that the author is hinting at indicates episodes of "repression" being uncovered. Though I'm not confident, I feel like this is kind of an assumption question because it's effectively saying, in order for the author's conclusion to be true, this must be true as well.

D was the only one that struck me as a necessary assumption. What if because lowered anxiety => patient being more comfortable and actually saying what happened? In order for the conclusion to be true and that repressions were uncovered, the psychologist or whatever must be able to distinguish between the two.

Am I on the right track because my logic is so different from most people ITT

Please give kudos if you found my post useful, I give kudos back :)

Kudos [?]: 16 [0], given: 9

Verbal Forum Moderator
Verbal Forum Moderator

Kudos [?]: 3480 [0], given: 123

Premium Member

Show Tags

New post 19 Mar 2013, 15:41
This one is not assumption, but inference question. Assumption is a hidden premise that must be true for a conclusion to hold true. But there's no conclusion here, only fact sets.
P1: unconscious belief # conscious belief.
P2: When a patient is aware of and expresses unconscious belief, researchers see there's a reduce of patient's anxiety.

Combine two premises above.
Inference: researchers can distinguish unconscious belief from conscious one. Answer D indicates that.

bigfernhead wrote:
I think this is an inference question, and i still came with D.

scthakur wrote:
It took a while to understand that it is an assumption question and not an inference question.

Answer is clearly D.

Please +1 KUDO if my post helps. Thank you.

"Designing cars consumes you; it has a hold on your spirit which is incredibly powerful. It's not something you can do part time, you have do it with all your heart and soul or you're going to get it wrong."

Chris Bangle - Former BMW Chief of Design.

Kudos [?]: 3480 [0], given: 123

Manager
Manager
B

Kudos [?]: 134 [0], given: 16

WE: Marketing (Manufacturing)

Show Tags

New post 23 Mar 2013, 11:59
The question is not 100% percent Inference types but certainly this is not an assumption question as there is no conclusion in the argument. moreover following techniques of identifying an assumption will only do mess..The best way IMO is to treat it as must be true question and reach D by POE

Kudos [?]: 134 [0], given: 16

Manager
Manager
S

Kudos [?]: 40 [0], given: 826

GMAT ToolKit User

Show Tags

New post 04 Apr 2016, 10:54
IMO D. I'll give you a hint, read the complete passage again slowly, and put emphasis on the word "such" every time it's used. That should clear the picture.

Show some love! Kudos if this helped :)

Spread some love..Like = +1 Kudos :)

Kudos [?]: 40 [0], given: 826

Intern
Intern
B

Kudos [?]: 7 [0], given: 105

Concentration: Strategy, Operations
GMAT 1: 710 Q49 V38
Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 26 Sep 2016, 02:59
sayantanc2k
Could u please take this one?
The OA (D) looks more like an assumption. Also shed light on the difference between assumption and inference with respect to this argument.

Kudos [?]: 7 [0], given: 105

VP
VP
D

Kudos [?]: 1183 [0], given: 415

GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member CAT Tests
According to psychoanalytic theory, people have unconscious beliefs th [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 30 Jul 2017, 01:37
Quote:
According to psychoanalytic theory, people have unconscious beliefs that are kept from becoming conscious by a psychological mechanism termed “repression.” Researchers investigating the nature of this mechanism observed occasions on which a patient undergoing therapy became aware of and expressed a previously unconscious belief. They found that such occasions were marked by an unusual decrease in the patient’s level of anxiety.

If the information above is true, and if the researchers’ investigation was properly conducted, then which of the following must also be true?

(E) Although the beliefs on which the mechanism of repression works are all unconscious, the operation of the mechanism itself is something of which patients are consciously aware.

GMATNinja, Could you help to explain for this Inference question? I have a hard time to answer this question. Why (A) is incorrect?

"Be challenged at EVERY MOMENT."

“Strength doesn’t come from what you can do. It comes from overcoming the things you once thought you couldn’t.”

"Each stage of the journey is crucial to attaining new heights of knowledge."

Rules for posting in verbal forum | Please DO NOT post short answer in your post!

Kudos [?]: 1183 [0], given: 415

Manager
Manager
S

Kudos [?]: 38 [0], given: 29

GMAT 1: 730 Q50 V40
GMAT ToolKit User CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 30 Jul 2017, 04:09
Repression --> Prevents unconscious beliefs from becoming conscious.
Therapy --> patient becomes aware of previously unconscious belief --> decrease in level of anxiety in patient.

Initial guess -- therapy --> decrease in repression --> decrease in level of anxiety in patient??

(A) Changes in the patient’s anxiety level during therapy can generally be used as an accurate measure of the extent to which the patient is becoming conscious of previously repressed beliefs. Too specific

(B) Even when one of a patient’s unconscious beliefs remains unconscious, researchers are sometimes able to discover this belief.May be. When patients under go therapy?

(C) If psychoanalytic theory is correct, then most conscious beliefs originate as unconscious beliefs.May be some, but not most.

(D) Researchers were able to distinguish expressed beliefs that had previously been unconscious from those that had long been conscious but that the patient had not previously expressed.This statement must be true only because question stem mentions 'if the researchers’ investigation was properly conducted'

(E) Although the beliefs on which the mechanism of repression works are all unconscious, the operation of the mechanism itself is something of which patients are consciously aware. We are not told whether patients know how repression works.

Choice D is the answer

Kudos [?]: 38 [0], given: 29

Expert Post
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
G

Kudos [?]: 1603 [0], given: 400

GMAT 1: 780 Q51 V46
GMAT 2: 800 Q51 V51
GRE 1: 340 Q170 V170

Show Tags

New post 30 Jul 2017, 12:06
hazelnut wrote:
GMATNinja, Could you help to explain for this Inference question? I have a hard time to answer this question. Why (A) is incorrect?

According to the passage, when a patient undergoing therapy became aware of and expressed a previously unconscious belief, the patient's level of anxiety was decreased. But this does not necessarily mean that a decrease in anxiety level is a sign that the patient has become conscious of a previously repressed belief. There could be several other reasons to explain the decrease in anxiety (perhaps the patient joined a support group, started taking medication, got involved in a social activity, etc.)

For example, say that exercise reduces stress. Does that mean we can monitor changes in a person's stress levels to measure how much that person exercises? Of course not... several other factors can affect stress levels.

Similarly, several other factors can affect anxiety levels, so we cannot monitor changes in a patient's anxiety level during therapy to accurately measure the extent to which the patient is becoming conscious of previously repressed beliefs. Choice (A) should be eliminated.

I hope that helps!

GMAT Club Verbal Expert | GMAT/GRE tutor at www.gmatninja.com | GMAT blog |food blog | Friendly warning: I'm really bad at PMs

Beginners' guides to GMAT verbal
Reading Comprehension | Critical Reasoning | Sentence Correction

SC & CR Questions of the Day (QOTDs), featuring expert explanations
All QOTDs | Subscribe via email | RSS

Need an expert reply?
Hit the request verbal experts' reply button -- and please be specific about your question. Feel free to tag @GMATNinja and @GMATNinjaTwo in your post.

Sentence Correction articles & resources
How to go from great (760) to incredible (780) on GMAT SC | That "-ing" Word Probably Isn't a Verb | That "-ed" Word Might Not Be a Verb, Either | No-BS Guide to GMAT Idioms | "Being" is not the enemy | WTF is "that" doing in my sentence?

Reading Comprehension, Critical Reasoning, and other articles & resources
All GMAT Ninja articles on GMAT Club | Using LSAT for GMAT CR & RC |7 reasons why your actual GMAT scores don't match your practice test scores | How to get 4 additional "fake" GMAT Prep tests for $29.99... in any section order

YouTube verbal webinars:
"Next-level" GMAT pronouns | Uses of "that" on the GMAT | Parallelism and meaning | Simplifying GMAT verb tenses

Kudos [?]: 1603 [0], given: 400

VP
VP
G

Kudos [?]: 69 [0], given: 534

Concentration: Operations, Marketing
GMAT 1: 670 Q48 V36
GRE 1: 314 Q157 V157
GPA: 3.4
WE: Manufacturing and Production (Manufacturing)
According to psychoanalytic theory, people have unconscious beliefs th [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 04 Aug 2017, 05:44
nitya34 wrote:

The answer is D

Premise 1:According to psychoanalytic theory, people have unconscious beliefs that are kept from becoming conscious by a psychological mechanism termed “repression.”
Premise 2:Researchers investigating the nature of this mechanism observed occasions on which a patient undergoing therapy became aware of and expressed a previously unconscious belief.

Conclusion : They found that such occasions were marked by an unusual decrease in the patient’s level of anxiety.

Assumption : The Researchers were able to differentiate between conscious beliefs and unconscious belief expressed

D is essentially saying this " Researchers were able to distinguish expressed beliefs that had previously been unconscious from those that had long been conscious but that the patient had not previously expressed. "

We are more often frightened than hurt; and we suffer more from imagination than from reality

Kudos [?]: 69 [0], given: 534

Manager
Manager
B

Kudos [?]: 8 [0], given: 63

Concentration: Social Entrepreneurship, Leadership
GMAT 1: 750 Q51 V41
GPA: 4
CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 20 Aug 2017, 04:52

The stimulus says that the occasions when patients become conscious of previously repressed beliefs are marked by decreased anxiety. They don’t say that the level of decrease varies directly or is correlated with the level of becoming conscious. Hence we cannot infer this from the stimulus.

Not relevant to the given statements. Whether there are other mechanisms of identifying unconscious beliefs is out of scope.

Again, not relevant. All we can say is that people can be made to express some unconscious beliefs through therapy. We cannot say that all conscious beliefs originate as unconscious.

The given stimulus tells us that the researchers have been able to make people express their unconscious beliefs through therapy. A valid point here is – how do researchers know that the beliefs being expressed by the patients are unconscious beliefs and not merely conscious beliefs that the patients did not express previously? Since the stimulus says, “Researchers investigating repression observed occasions on which a patient undergoing therapy became aware of and expressed a previously unconscious belief” and we have to take the statement to be true, it means they were able to distinguish between unconscious beliefs and conscious but unexpressed beliefs. Hence (D) is the answer.

Focus on the first part of this option. The statements in the stimulus tell us that repression keeps unconscious beliefs unconscious. They don’t tell us whether repression works on conscious beliefs or not – perhaps it keeps people from expressing conscious beliefs or perhaps it doesn’t work on conscious beliefs at all – the statements don’t say. We cannot say that the beliefs on which repression works are ALL unconscious. Hence we cannot infer this. Not the answer.

The correct answer is (D).

Kudos [?]: 8 [0], given: 63

Intern
Intern
B

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 22

Show Tags

New post 21 Aug 2017, 05:05
Inference question = "no new information"

Ans : (D) This answer has to be correct in order for the question stem to play out ie for research investigation to be properly conducted & statements to be true.

(A) We don't know what happens when the opposite happens (ie increase in anxiety)
(B, C, E) Not able to distinguish from passage

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 22

Intern
Intern
B

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 47

Show Tags

New post 25 Aug 2017, 08:35
what is the conclusion of this argument?
How to identify what the qn stem requires? i.e what should I look for ? an assumption, inference or conclusion?
Also, elaborate on the qn stem types possible in "must be true" questions
TIA :)

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 47

Re: According to psychoanalytic theory, people have unconscious beliefs th   [#permalink] 25 Aug 2017, 08:35

Go to page   Previous    1   2   3    Next  [ 41 posts ] 

According to psychoanalytic theory, people have unconscious beliefs th

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap