GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 19 Oct 2018, 15:02

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

According to psychologists, many dieters subconsciously

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Director
Director
Concentration: International Business, Technology
GMAT 1: 630 Q49 V27
GMAT ToolKit User
According to psychologists, many dieters subconsciously  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post Updated on: 06 Mar 2015, 08:00
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

35% (medium)

Question Stats:

71% (01:50) correct 29% (02:05) wrong based on 353 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

According to psychologists, many dieters subconsciously prefer a diet plan whose effectiveness is uncertain -- a consideration that, in case of failure, lets them blame the supposed ineffectiveness of the plan rather than their own lack of self-control.

Please provide the Explanations if possible.

A )a diet plan whose effectiveness is uncertain -- a consideration that, in case of failure, lets them blame the supposed ineffectiveness of the plan rather than their own lack of self-control
B) An uncertain diet plan in terms of effectiveness: such plans allow them to believe that the supposed ineffectiveness of the plan is to blame, rather than that they lack self-control in case of failure
C) diet plans with uncertain effectiveness, which will allow them to blame the supposed ineffectiveness of the plan, rather than to lack self-control, in case of failure
D) uncertainly effective diet plans, allowing them to believe the plans that are supposedly ineffective, rather than that they lack self-control, in case of failure
E) diet plans uncertain in effectiveness; in case of failure, allowing them to believe that the plan itself is ineffective rather than that they lack self-control

Thanks,
Lucky

Originally posted by Lucky2783 on 06 Mar 2015, 05:37.
Last edited by carcass on 06 Mar 2015, 08:00, edited 1 time in total.
Edited the post
Director
Director
GMAT ToolKit User

Show Tags

New post 06 Mar 2015, 05:39
According to psychologists, many dieters subconsciously prefer a diet plan whose effectiveness is uncertain -- a consideration that, in case of failure, lets them blame the supposed ineffectiveness of the plan rather than their own lack of self-control.

A )a diet plan whose effectiveness is uncertain -- a consideration that, in case of failure, lets them blame the supposed ineffectiveness of the plan rather than their own lack of self-control
B) An uncertain diet plan in terms of effectiveness: such plans allow them to believe that the supposed ineffectiveness of the plan is to blame, rather than that they lack self-control in case of failure
C) diet plans with uncertain effectiveness, which will allow them to blame the supposed ineffectiveness of the plan, rather than to lack self-control, in case of failure
D) uncertainly effective diet plans, allowing them to believe the plans that are supposedly ineffective, rather than that they lack self-control, in case of failure
E) diet plans uncertain in effectiveness; in case of failure, allowing them to believe that the plan itself is ineffective rather than that they lack self-control

Thanks,
Lucky

Manager
Manager
GMAT 1: 720 Q51 V38
Re: According to psychologists, many dieters subconsciously  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 06 Mar 2015, 06:48
B: Totally changes the meaning since "uncertain" modifies "diet plan". In the original sentence, "uncertain" modifies "effectiveness".

"which" in C would modify "effectiveness", making the sentence convey incorrect meaning.

D says: "believe the plans", which is almost opposite of what the sentence is trying to say.

E does not have either a parallel structure or a independent clause after the semicolon.
Intern
Intern

Show Tags

New post 06 Mar 2015, 07:22
I am quite a neophyte.. tried to apply POE as below -
- CORRECT.
- use of "rather than they lack" awkward.
- To blame rather than to lack. Correct parallelism but NOT conveying the intended meaning.
- Effective is an adjective and uncertainly has been wrongly used with it.
- After semicolon, there should be a complete sentence. Also, allowing them to believe ... ... is not correctly modifying the intended clause.

What's OA?

On the way ..
- Alok K G.

Math Expert
V

Show Tags

New post 06 Mar 2015, 08:15
Lucky2783 wrote:

hi Lucky2783,
the choices B to E can be straightway rejected..
however in A, your punctuation mark uncertain -- a consideration not clear

1) Absolute modulus : http://gmatclub.com/forum/absolute-modulus-a-better-understanding-210849.html#p1622372
2)Combination of similar and dissimilar things : http://gmatclub.com/forum/topic215915.html
3) effects of arithmetic operations : https://gmatclub.com/forum/effects-of-arithmetic-operations-on-fractions-269413.html

GMAT online Tutor

Director
Director
GMAT ToolKit User

Show Tags

New post 06 Mar 2015, 10:00
chetan2u wrote:
Lucky2783 wrote:

hi Lucky2783,

Hi Chetan,

I copied it from mgmat so i believe this is not a syntax/typo error.
thanks
lucky

Thanks,
Lucky

Math Expert
V

Show Tags

New post 06 Mar 2015, 10:06
Lucky2783 wrote:
chetan2u wrote:
Lucky2783 wrote:

hi Lucky2783,

Hi Chetan,

I copied it from mgmat so i believe this is not a syntax/typo error.
thanks
lucky

hi lucky,
i have never seen such a punctuation mark '--', i think a comma or semi-colon may have been appropriate...

1) Absolute modulus : http://gmatclub.com/forum/absolute-modulus-a-better-understanding-210849.html#p1622372
2)Combination of similar and dissimilar things : http://gmatclub.com/forum/topic215915.html
3) effects of arithmetic operations : https://gmatclub.com/forum/effects-of-arithmetic-operations-on-fractions-269413.html

GMAT online Tutor

Director
Director
GMAT ToolKit User

Show Tags

New post 06 Mar 2015, 10:58
hi lucky,
i have never seen such a punctuation mark '--', i think a comma or semi-colon may have been appropriate...[/quote]

hhmm.. may be some one from Manhattan team will be able to shed more light . attached the picture for reference.
Attachments

MGMAT.jpg
MGMAT.jpg [ 302.9 KiB | Viewed 3161 times ]

MGMAT.jpg
MGMAT.jpg [ 302.9 KiB | Viewed 3154 times ]

Thanks,
Lucky

Director
Director
GMAT ToolKit User

Show Tags

New post 06 Mar 2015, 21:28
Lucky2783 wrote:
hi lucky,
i have never seen such a punctuation mark '--', i think a comma or semi-colon may have been appropriate...

hhmm.. may be some one from Manhattan team will be able to shed more light . attached the picture for reference.[/quote]

adding souvik101990 for his inputs.
thanks,
lucky

Thanks,
Lucky

Current Student
Concentration: Marketing, Social Entrepreneurship
GPA: 3.55
WE: Brand Management (Consumer Products)
GMAT ToolKit User
According to psychologists, many dieters subconsciously prefer  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 21 Feb 2016, 06:23
Hello everyone, I had started to struggle with GMAT Verbal since two weeks ago. I'm a native portuguese speaker who have learned english through references that are not so good (namely: movies and music).

I was doing a MGMAT's CAT and have found the question that follows, but for me the question construction implies in ambiguity. The clause "a consideration that... lets them blame the X rather Y" would refer to the dieters or to the psychologists? A relevant note is that all of the answers provided have presented this construction. Can anyone help me?

A. a diet plan whose effectiveness is uncertain -- a consideration that, in case of failure, lets them blame the supposed ineffectiveness of the plan rather than their own lack of self-control

B. an uncertain diet plan in terms of effectiveness: such plans allow them to believe that the supposed ineffectiveness of the plan is to blame, rather than that they lack self-control in case of failure

C. diet plans with uncertain effectiveness, which will allow them to blame the supposed ineffectiveness of the plan, rather than to lack self-control, in case of failure

D. uncertainly effective diet plans, allowing them to believe the plans that are supposedly ineffective, rather than that they lack self-control, in case of failure

E. diet plans uncertain in effectiveness; in case of failure, allowing them to believe that the plan itself is ineffective rather than that they lack self-control
Math Expert
V
Re: According to psychologists, many dieters subconsciously prefer  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 21 Feb 2016, 06:37
livio04 wrote:
Hello everyone, I had started to struggle with GMAT Verbal since two weeks ago. I'm a native portuguese speaker who have learned english through references that are not so good (namely: movies and music).

I was doing a MGMAT's CAT and have found the question that follows, but for me the question construction implies in an ambiguity. The clause "a consideration that... lets them blame the X rather than Y" would refer to the dieters or to the psychologists? A relevant note is that all of the answers provided have presented this construction. Can anyone help me?

A. a diet plan whose effectiveness is uncertain -- a consideration that, in case of failure, lets them blame the supposed ineffectiveness of the plan rather than their own lack of self-control

B. an uncertain diet plan in terms of effectiveness: such plans allow them to believe that the supposed ineffectiveness of the plan is to blame, rather than that they lack self-control in case of failure

C. diet plans with uncertain effectiveness, which will allow them to blame the supposed ineffectiveness of the plan, rather than to lack self-control, in case of failure

D. uncertainly effective diet plans, allowing them to believe the plans that are supposedly ineffective, rather than that they lack self-control, in case of failure

E. diet plans uncertain in effectiveness; in case of failure, allowing them to believe that the plan itself is ineffective rather than that they lack self-control

Hi,
the role of psycologists is limited to providing some info, because of the usage of 'according to'..
therefore whatever pronoun comes thereafter will refer to the noun in the main clause..
If there are two nouns in the main clause, then it can be ambiguous..

if in doubt, reverse the constr and see..
Many dieters subconsciously prefer a diet plan whose effectiveness is uncertain -- a consideration that, in case of failure, lets them blame the supposed ineffectiveness of the plan rather than their own lack of self-control according to psychologists....

GMAT online Tutor

Current Student
Concentration: Marketing, Social Entrepreneurship
GPA: 3.55
WE: Brand Management (Consumer Products)
GMAT ToolKit User
Re: According to psychologists, many dieters subconsciously prefer  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 21 Feb 2016, 07:09
chetan2u wrote:
livio04 wrote:

I was doing a MGMAT's CAT and have found the question that follows, but for me the question construction implies in an ambiguity. The clause "a consideration that... lets them blame the X rather than Y" would refer to the dieters or to the psychologists? A relevant note is that all of the answers provided have presented this construction. Can anyone help me?

Hi,
the role of psycologists is limited to providing some info, because of the usage of 'according to'..
therefore whatever pronoun comes thereafter will refer to the noun in the main clause..
If there are two nouns in the main clause, then it can be ambiguous..

if in doubt, reverse the constr and see..
Many dieters subconsciously prefer a diet plan whose effectiveness is uncertain -- a consideration that, in case of failure, lets them blame the supposed ineffectiveness of the plan rather than their own lack of self-control according to psychologists....

Simply and clear, thanks a lot.
Manager
Manager
S
Concentration: Economics, Finance
GMAT 1: 430 Q39 V25
GPA: 3.5
WE: Information Technology (Other)
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member

Show Tags

New post 14 Mar 2017, 13:46
this one was a wake up call for me, so that i must get my semicolon rules right and also not to be afraid to mark A as the answer... yes.. i am really scared of marking A as i had believed that the original sentence almostt had an error..got rid of that feeling now... thanks
Verbal Forum Moderator
B
Premium Member

Show Tags

New post 05 Jul 2017, 06:11
Merged topics. Please, search before posting questions!

Please Read: Verbal Posting Rules

VP
VP
P
Concentration: Operations, Marketing
GMAT 1: 670 Q48 V36
GRE 1: Q157 V157
GPA: 3.4
WE: Engineering (Manufacturing)
Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 05 Jul 2017, 07:35
Imo A
Correct
Awkward and long convoluted sentences .
Use which is ambiguous and wordy.
Uncertainly is wrong it should be an adjective uncertain and we have a fragment after comma .

Wordy and it is a fragment .

Please give kudos if you found my answers useful

Manager
Manager
G
Affiliations: ND
Schools: Rotman '21
WE: Marketing (Consulting)

Show Tags

New post 16 Oct 2017, 01:56
Lucky2783 wrote:

how come we are referring to the "plan" with "whose"? is that possible?

"it takes more time to fix a mistake than to avoid one"
"Giving kudos" is a decent way to say "Thanks" and motivate contributors. Please use them, it won't cost you anything

High achievement always takes place in the framework of high expectation Charles Kettering
If we chase perfection we can catch excellence Vince Lombardi

GMAT Club Live: 5 Principles for Fast Math: https://gmatclub.com/forum/gmat-club-live-5-principles-for-fast-math-251028.html#p1940045
YouTube sessions by GMATNinja: https://gmatclub.com/forum/verbal-live-with-gmat-ninja-sc-pronouns-that-parallelism-250568.html#p1936104
The Best SC strategies - Amazing 4 videos by Veritas: https://gmatclub.com/forum/the-best-sc-strategies-amazing-4-videos-by-veritas-250377.html#p1934575

GMAT Club Bot
Re: According to psychologists, many dieters subconsciously &nbs [#permalink] 16 Oct 2017, 01:56

According to psychologists, many dieters subconsciously

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Copyright

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap