It is currently 19 Oct 2017, 08:09

STARTING SOON:

Live Chat with Cornell Adcoms in Main Chat Room  |  R1 Interview Invites: MIT Sloan Chat  |  UCLA Anderson Chat  |  Duke Fuqua Chat (EA Decisions)


Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

According to public health officials, in 1998 Massachusetts

  new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Author Message
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Top Contributor
2 KUDOS received
Director
Director
User avatar
S
Affiliations: CrackVerbal
Joined: 03 Oct 2013
Posts: 512

Kudos [?]: 574 [2], given: 6

Location: India
GMAT 1: 780 Q51 V46
Re: According to public health officials, in 1998 Massachusetts [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 15 Jan 2017, 01:05
2
This post received
KUDOS
Top Contributor
this question tests you on parallelism and meaning.

"than" requires parallelism. Also, note that "it" refers to "age of thirty".

"more babies were born to women over the age of thirty than under it." - Note that for parallelism, we start from right to left. See what is parallel to "under it" on the Left hand side of "than".

A maintains parallelism and hence is the correct answer. Since the sentence maintains parallelism what is implied here -
More babies were born to women over the age of thirty than [babies were born to women] under it.

B - Incorrect answer.
Answer option does not maintain parallelism. let us look at parallelism -
"more babies were born to women over the age of thirty than born under it."

Not perfectly parallel. "to women" is missing in RHS.
This answer option nonsensically implies that "[babies were] born under age of thirty".

C - Incorrect answer.

"more babies were born to women over the age of thirty than they were under it.". - two clauses are in parallel; however, "to women" is omitted. this changes the meaning of the sentence.

this sentence implies that babies were born under age of 30. - Illogical.

D - Incorrect.
Usage of past perfect is incorrect. We are referring to a specific time period - 1998.
Also, this option changes the meaning of the sentence.

E - Incorrect.
Usage of past perfect is incorrect. We are referring to a specific time period - 1998.
Changes the meaning of the sentence (like option B) -
"more babies were born to women over the age of thirty than had been born under it."

Not perfectly parallel. "to women" is missing in RHS.
This answer option nonsensically implies that "babies had been born under age of thirty".
_________________

Enroll for our GMAT Trial Course here -
http://gmatonline.crackverbal.com/

Learn all PS and DS strategies here-
http://gmatonline.crackverbal.com/p/mastering-quant-on-gmat

For more info on GMAT and MBA, follow us on @AskCrackVerbal

Kudos [?]: 574 [2], given: 6

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
avatar
G
Joined: 21 Aug 2016
Posts: 297

Kudos [?]: 16 [0], given: 135

Location: India
GPA: 3.9
WE: Information Technology (Computer Software)
GMAT ToolKit User Reviews Badge
According to public health officials, in 1998 Massachusetts [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 01 Mar 2017, 05:00
1
This post was
BOOKMARKED
Thanks CrackVerbalGMAT and kinjiGC for the detailed explanation. I still have one query.

choice B-more babies were born to women over the age of thirty than born under it

My question: Can't we have more than one eclipses in one sentences?

more babies were born to women over the age of thirty than[ babies were] born [ to women] under it


Choice C : more babies were born to women over the age of thirty than they were under it.

My question: Why even one eclipse is not right in this case?


more babies were born to women over the age of thirty than they(referring to babies--correct) were [born to women ] under it.


How to identify which uses of the eclipse are correct?

Kudos [?]: 16 [0], given: 135

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
avatar
G
Joined: 21 Aug 2016
Posts: 297

Kudos [?]: 16 [0], given: 135

Location: India
GPA: 3.9
WE: Information Technology (Computer Software)
GMAT ToolKit User Reviews Badge
Re: According to public health officials, in 1998 Massachusetts [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 03 Mar 2017, 22:53
I have read all the explanation, but I still have one query

choice B-more babies were born to women over the age of thirty than born under it

My question: Can't we have more than one eclipses in one sentences?

more babies were born to women over the age of thirty than[ babies were] born [ to women] under it


Choice C : more babies were born to women over the age of thirty than they were under it.

My question: Why even one eclipse is not right in this case?

more babies were born to women over the age of thirty than they(referring to babies--correct) were [born to women ] under it.


How to identify which uses of the eclipse are correct?

Kudos [?]: 16 [0], given: 135

Expert Post
2 KUDOS received
Verbal Expert
User avatar
S
Joined: 14 Dec 2013
Posts: 3157

Kudos [?]: 3295 [2], given: 22

Location: Germany
Schools: HHL Leipzig
GMAT 1: 780 Q50 V47
WE: Corporate Finance (Pharmaceuticals and Biotech)
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member Reviews Badge
Re: According to public health officials, in 1998 Massachusetts [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 04 Mar 2017, 02:32
2
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
AR15J wrote:
I have read all the explanation, but I still have one query

choice B-more babies were born to women over the age of thirty than born under it

My question: Can't we have more than one eclipses in one sentences?

more babies were born to women over the age of thirty than[ babies were] born [ to women] under it


Choice C : more babies were born to women over the age of thirty than they were under it.

My question: Why even one eclipse is not right in this case?

more babies were born to women over the age of thirty than they(referring to babies--correct) were [born to women ] under it.


How to identify which uses of the eclipse are correct?


Omission of items (even more than two items) is definitely acceptable in the second element of a parallel structure, if those items have already been used in the first element and the meaning is not obscured.

On the other hand, not omitting will be considered a poor practice, if items are not omitted when they can be without ambiguity. This is because of concision issue.

Moreover when a verb is to be omitted, omit the complete verb, not a part of it. In option B a part of the verb "were born" is omitted. Either use "were born" or omit it altogether. But using a part i.e. "born" is wrong. If option B were "than were born", it would be alright.

In option C, the pronoun "they" is wrong. "They" wrongly refers to "babies", the SAME babies who were born to women over the age of thirty. Here a new copy of the noun "babies" is required (who were born to women under the age of thirty), hence using "they" is wrong. the correct pronoun is "that" (to create a new copy).

Kudos [?]: 3295 [2], given: 22

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
avatar
G
Joined: 21 Aug 2016
Posts: 297

Kudos [?]: 16 [0], given: 135

Location: India
GPA: 3.9
WE: Information Technology (Computer Software)
GMAT ToolKit User Reviews Badge
Re: According to public health officials, in 1998 Massachusetts [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 04 Mar 2017, 03:23
sayantanc2k wrote:
AR15J wrote:
I have read all the explanation, but I still have one query

choice B-more babies were born to women over the age of thirty than born under it

My question: Can't we have more than one eclipses in one sentences?

more babies were born to women over the age of thirty than[ babies were] born [ to women] under it


Choice C : more babies were born to women over the age of thirty than they were under it.

My question: Why even one eclipse is not right in this case?

more babies were born to women over the age of thirty than they(referring to babies--correct) were [born to women ] under it.


How to identify which uses of the eclipse are correct?


Omission of items (even more than two items) is definitely acceptable in the second element of a parallel structure, if those items have already been used in the first element and the meaning is not obscured.

On the other hand, not omitting will be considered a poor practice, if items are not omitted when they can be without ambiguity. This is because of concision issue.

Moreover when a verb is to be omitted, omit the complete verb, not a part of it. In option B a part of the verb "were born" is omitted. Either use "were born" or omit it altogether. But using a part i.e. "born" is wrong. If option B were "than were born", it would be alright.

In option C, the pronoun "they" is wrong. "They" wrongly refers to "babies", the SAME babies who were born to women over the age of thirty. Here a new copy of the noun "babies" is required (who were born to women under the age of thirty), hence using "they" is wrong. the correct pronoun is "that" (to create a new copy).


Sometimes after reading your explanation, I feel lighter :-D :-D :-D Thanks for such great explanation

Kudos [?]: 16 [0], given: 135

Manager
Manager
User avatar
B
Joined: 05 Oct 2016
Posts: 170

Kudos [?]: 29 [0], given: 11

Location: China
Concentration: Healthcare, Entrepreneurship
WE: Sales (Health Care)
Re: According to public health officials, in 1998 Massachusetts [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 05 Aug 2017, 21:41
vishalsuri wrote:
r019h wrote:
According to public health officials, in 1998 Massachusetts became the first state in which more babies were born to women over the age of thirty than under it.

A. than
B. than born
C. that they were
D. than there had been
E. than had been born

Please give explanations to support your choices. OA will be posted soon.


A should be the answer.
more women over X than under it.

the sentence is comparing the age of women and not the age of babies born, so rule out B and E.
C and D - ruled out because of lack of parallelism. - more women over X than "they were"/"than there had been" is incorrect..

u shed light on the central problem
_________________

LSAT CR is driving me mad

Kudos [?]: 29 [0], given: 11

VP
VP
User avatar
G
Status: Learning
Joined: 20 Dec 2015
Posts: 1070

Kudos [?]: 69 [0], given: 533

Location: India
Concentration: Operations, Marketing
GMAT 1: 670 Q48 V36
GRE 1: 314 Q157 V157
GPA: 3.4
WE: Manufacturing and Production (Manufacturing)
Re: According to public health officials, in 1998 Massachusetts [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 06 Aug 2017, 23:43
r019h wrote:
According to public health officials, in 1998 Massachusetts became the first state in which more babies were born to women over the age of thirty than under it.

A. than
B. than born
C. that they were
D. than there had been
E. than had been born


The answer is A
as we are comparing women over the age of 30 and under 30

B is wrong as we are not comparing babies
C we need than for comparison
D past perfect tense is not required and it compares babies
E same as D
_________________

We are more often frightened than hurt; and we suffer more from imagination than from reality

Kudos [?]: 69 [0], given: 533

Manager
Manager
avatar
B
Joined: 20 Jan 2016
Posts: 197

Kudos [?]: 12 [0], given: 63

Re: According to public health officials, in 1998 Massachusetts [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 10 Aug 2017, 03:11
Can someone explain why C is wrong?

C) More babies were born to women over the age of 30 than (babies) they were (born to women) under it .

What is the error in my explanation above?

Kudos [?]: 12 [0], given: 63

Re: According to public health officials, in 1998 Massachusetts   [#permalink] 10 Aug 2017, 03:11

Go to page   Previous    1   2   3   4   [ 68 posts ] 

Display posts from previous: Sort by

According to public health officials, in 1998 Massachusetts

  new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  


GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap

Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group | Emoji artwork provided by EmojiOne

Kindly note that the GMAT® test is a registered trademark of the Graduate Management Admission Council®, and this site has neither been reviewed nor endorsed by GMAC®.