Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 21:18 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 21:18

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Kudos
Tags:
Difficulty: 655-705 Levelx   Comparisonsx   Parallelismx   Pronounsx                           
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 23 [0]
Given Kudos: 112
Send PM
e-GMAT Representative
Own Kudos [?]: 30783 [0]
Given Kudos: 635
GMAT Date: 08-19-2020
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 0 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 61 [0]
Given Kudos: 351
Concentration: General Management, Operations
GMAT 1: 710 Q49 V38 (Online)
GPA: 3.5
Send PM
Re: According to recent studies comparing the nutritional value of meat fr [#permalink]
GMATNinja wrote:

Quote:
C. wild animals have less total fat than that of livestock fed on grain and have more fat of a kind thought to be

As described in our rambling guide to the word “that”, “that” is a singular pronoun in this type of situation. In (C), I guess it has to refer to “total fat,” but that doesn’t really make sense: “wild animals have less total fat than the total fat of livestock fed on grain…”

That’s kind of a mess. Wild animals have less fat than livestock, but it wouldn’t make sense to say that “wild animals have less total fat.. than the total fat…” That comparison is thoroughly wrong. (C) is out.

I fail to understand why option C is incorrect. Is it because the quantities (of total fat) are compared instead of the percentages ? Also, what thoughts do you have on second part of comparison "more fat thought to be of a kind..." . Request your help on this one. :)
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 301 [0]
Given Kudos: 154
GMAT 1: 720 Q49 V38
WE:Accounting (Accounting)
Send PM
Re: According to recent studies comparing the nutritional value of meat fr [#permalink]
BhaveshGMAT wrote:
GMATNinja wrote:

Quote:
C. wild animals have less total fat than that of livestock fed on grain and have more fat of a kind thought to be

As described in our rambling guide to the word “that”, “that” is a singular pronoun in this type of situation. In (C), I guess it has to refer to “total fat,” but that doesn’t really make sense: “wild animals have less total fat than the total fat of livestock fed on grain…”

That’s kind of a mess. Wild animals have less fat than livestock, but it wouldn’t make sense to say that “wild animals have less total fat.. than the total fat…” That comparison is thoroughly wrong. (C) is out.

I fail to understand why option C is incorrect. Is it because the quantities (of total fat) are compared instead of the percentages ? Also, what thoughts do you have on second part of comparison "more fat thought to be of a kind..." . Request your help on this one. :)

Hey it might help to take a much simpler example in your head while deciding between these 2 options. Consider this - I have more money than my brother vs I have more money than that of my brother. Here, the 2nd option is literally saying that "you" have more money than "your brother's money", which doesnt make sense. How can you have more money than money? I thought of this while deciding between these 2 so thought I'd share. The 2nd comparison doesn't seem bad to me.
Manager
Manager
Send PM
Brian123 wrote:
BhaveshGMAT wrote:

Hey it might help to take a much simpler example in your head while deciding between these 2 options. Consider this - I have more money than my brother vs I have more money than that of my brother. Here, the 2nd option is literally saying that "you" have more money than "your brother's money", which doesnt make sense. How can you have more money than money? I thought of this while deciding between these 2 so thought I'd share. The 2nd comparison doesn't seem bad to me.

"I have more money than my brother." Isn't it an incorrect comparison wherein money is compared with brother? Or may be the better way to communicate the intended meaning would be - " I have more money than my brother has."

Also quoting @daagh's explanation here:-

B looks apparently better than others, because, in gist, it maintains the comparison between wild animals and domestic animals, although it is also meaning to say that wild animals have less total fat than they have livestock, which is indeed absurd

C compares the total fat of these two kinds of animals rather than comparing the animals themselves.
Manager
Manager
Send PM
EducationAisle wrote:
BhaveshGMAT wrote:
"I have more money than my brother." Isn't it an incorrect comparison wherein money is compared with brother?

Hi BhaveshGMAT, technically speaking, there are two ways to interpret the above sentence:

(i) I have more money than my brother (has).

(ii) I have more money than (I have) my brother.

Since interpretation (ii) is completely non-sensical, the only logical interpretation of the sentence I have more money than my brother is I have more money than my brother (has). Hence, the sentence I have more money than my brother is correct.

Bottom-line: When the the comparison does not have any ambiguity, GMAT may choose to not explicitly mention the verb (has in the above case) after than.

There are numerous such official examples. In the examples below, I have mentioned in bold, the implied verb.

In 1982 the median income for married-couple families with a wage-earning wife was $9,000 more than that for families in which only the husband was employed.

This is equivalent to:

In 1982 the median income for married-couple families with a wage-earning wife was $9,000 more than that (median income) (was) for families in which only the husband was employed.

Plants are more efficient than fungi at acquiring carbon, in the form of carbon dioxide, and converting it to energy-rich sugars.

This is equivalent to:

Plants are more efficient than fungi (are) at acquiring carbon, in the form of carbon dioxide, and converting it to energy-rich sugars.

Ranked as one of the most important of Europe's young playwrights, Franz Xaver Kroetz has written 40 plays; his works—translated into more than 30 languages—are produced more often than those of any other contemporary German dramatist.

This is equivalent to:

Ranked as one of the most important of Europe's young playwrights, Franz Xaver Kroetz has written 40 plays; his works—translated into more than 30 languages—are produced more often than those (works) of any other contemporary German dramatist (are produced).

Quote:
Or may be the better way to communicate the intended meaning would be - " I have more money than my brother has."

This would be completely fine as well.

p.s. Our book EducationAisle Sentence Correction Nirvana discusses Comparison ambiguity, its application and examples in significant detail. If you or someone is interested, PM me your email-id; I can mail the corresponding section.

Thanks for the detailed post. I am stuck between option B and C. May I request you to throw some light on these two answer options and why is B the correct choice?
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 3 [0]
Given Kudos: 165
Send PM
GMATNinja wrote:

Quote:
E. total fat is less in wild animals than that of livestock fed on grain and more of their fat is of a kind they think is

There’s a lot of clunkiness here, but the biggest issue is the word “they”: the only possible referents are “wild animals”, “livestock”, or “studies.” And none of those are likely to “think [that fat] is good for cardiac health.” (E) is gone, and (B) is the best answer.

GMATNinja I have a rather basic question. Is Livestock singular or plural? How do we find out if Livestock mentioned in this question be considered as a singular or plural noun?

Posted from my mobile device
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 846 [0]
Given Kudos: 381
Concentration: Strategy, Marketing
GMAT 1: 650 Q49 V29
GPA: 3.81
Send PM
I was looking for than after more

Can I read B sentence as:

According to recent studies comparing the nutritional value of meat from wild animals and meat from domesticated animals, wild animals have less total fat and more of a kind of fat thought to be good for cardiac health than livestock fed on grain

please suggest AndrewN .

(A) wild animals have less total fat than do livestock fed on grain and more of a kind of fat they think is

(B) wild animals have less total fat than livestock fed on grain and more of a kind of fat thought to be
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 17 [0]
Given Kudos: 107
Concentration: Marketing, Technology
GMAT 1: 700 Q49 V37
GPA: 4
Send PM
mikemcgarry GMATNinja
EducationAisle
VeritasKarishma

Would like to draw your attention to a similar post
Quote:
The finance department took into account a broader set of expenses than those used by the marketing department when each group determined a return-on-investment ratio.

A) department took into account a broader set of expenses than those used by the marketing department when each group determined a

B) department took into account a broader set of expenses than those used by the marketing department when each group determines a

C) department took into account a broader set of expenses than the marketing department when each group determined a different

D) department took into account a broader set of expenses than that used by the marketing department when each group determined a

E) department, taking into account a broader set of expenses than that used by the marketing department, so each group determined a
Hide Answer
D

The explanation for this to eliminate C - We can not compare set of Expenses to Marketing Dept

My confusion is why here can we not using the knowledge of previous question use

C) department took into account a broader set of expenses than the marketing department(Took) when each group determined a different

Would request your help in this I am losing my mind over this
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 17 [0]
Given Kudos: 107
Concentration: Marketing, Technology
GMAT 1: 700 Q49 V37
GPA: 4
Send PM
Thank you VeritasKarishma and other moderators

I think i am clear with the concept now(after reading your explanations and i Really can't thank you enough for it)

In order to solidify my concept just help me with this

A has more cars than B -> A and B are getting compared -> and this is correct
A has sweeter apples than B's -> A's apples and B's apples compared -> and this is correct
A has sweeter apples than B -> A's apples and B compared -> and this is wrong

AM I Correct ?

VeritasKarishma wrote:
shauryahanda wrote:
mikemcgarry GMATNinja
EducationAisle
VeritasKarishma

Would like to draw your attention to a similar post
Quote:
The finance department took into account a broader set of expenses than those used by the marketing department when each group determined a return-on-investment ratio.

A) department took into account a broader set of expenses than those used by the marketing department when each group determined a

B) department took into account a broader set of expenses than those used by the marketing department when each group determines a

C) department took into account a broader set of expenses than the marketing department when each group determined a different

D) department took into account a broader set of expenses than that used by the marketing department when each group determined a

E) department, taking into account a broader set of expenses than that used by the marketing department, so each group determined a
Hide Answer
D

The explanation for this to eliminate C - We can not compare set of Expenses to Marketing Dept

My confusion is why here can we not using the knowledge of previous question use

C) department took into account a broader set of expenses than the marketing department(Took) when each group determined a different

Would request your help in this I am losing my mind over this

shauryahanda

A is taller than B.
A has more fat than B.
We are comparing characteristics of A and B. Fine. We can do without adding a placeholder verb. A and B are the ones who are taller/shorter and have less fat/more fat.

Tree A bears sweeter apples than tree B.
Are we comparing characteristics of tree A and tree B? No. We are comparing a characteristic of their apples. Then, using just 'tree B' does not make sense. It seems we are saying that tree A's apples are sweeter than tree B.

Look at the two sentences we are discussing:

... wild animals have less total fat than livestock fed on grain...
Comparing a characteristic of wild animals and livestock.

... finance department took into account a broader set of expenses than the marketing department...
Comparing a characteristic of the set of expenses. So this is not correct.

You should instead write:
... finance department took into account a broader set of expenses than that used by the marketing department ...

Also note that you need to take into account the other options available. In option (C), the use of "different" doesn't work. What the sentence wants to say is that they were calculating the same ratios but they gave different inputs. (C) implies that they were calculating different ratios.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [0]
Given Kudos: 4
Send PM
GMATNinja wrote:
A few of my best students have gotten their asses thoroughly kicked by this one, so please don’t feel badly if you struggled with it. (And most of the early responses look great!) Success on this question is mostly about your ability to be incredibly literal with the meaning, particularly as it relates to the pronouns in the sentence. (For more on pronouns, check out our good old YouTube webinar on the topic.)

Quote:
A. wild animals have less total fat than do livestock fed on grain and more of a kind of fat they think is

“They” has to refer back to a plural noun, but our only options are “studies” (which makes no sense, because studies can’t think) or “wild animals” (which also makes no sense, unless you think wild animals moonlight as nutritionists. (A) is out.

Quote:
B. wild animals have less total fat than livestock fed on grain and more of a kind of fat thought to be

There’s no pronoun here, so that’s cool. And I think the meaning works: “wild animals have less total fat than livestock fed on grain” is fine. The second part seems fine, too: “wild animals have… more of a kind of fat thought to be good for cardiac health.”

I don’t see any huge issues, so let’s keep (B).

Quote:

Quote:
D. total fat of wild animals is less than livestock fed on grain and they have more fat of a kind thought to be

This comparison is very clearly wrong: “total fat… is less than livestock.” You could, I suppose, also argue that the “they” isn’t 100% clear – but the illogical comparison is the most straightforward issue. (D) is out, too.

Quote:
E. total fat is less in wild animals than that of livestock fed on grain and more of their fat is of a kind they think is

There’s a lot of clunkiness here, but the biggest issue is the word “they”: the only possible referents are “wild animals”, “livestock”, or “studies.” And none of those are likely to “think [that fat] is good for cardiac health.” (E) is gone, and (B) is the best answer.

How can we say that in B, even though given as the right answer, clearly compare the total fat of wild animals with the fat of livestock?
In many cases, such statements are considered as wrong comparisons?

Furthermore, what is wrong with statement C and why here 'that of' is awkward? Is it because C is not the answer and B is?

PS: Kindly explain it in simple words. I am not looking for grammar jargon. Thank you.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 139 [0]
Send PM
According to recent studies comparing the nutritional value of meat fr [#permalink]
Hello, experts EducationAisle AjiteshArun LogicGuru1 BrentGMATPrepNow (Anyone who is available):

Have a look at option (B):

"wild animals have less total fat than livestock fed on grain and more of a kind of fat thought to be"

Here, "less total fat than livestock fed on grain" (determiner+adjective...) is not parallel with "more of a kind of fat thought to be" (determiner+preposition...). How is this option correct?

Originally posted by Jarvis07 on 26 Jun 2021, 03:52.
Last edited by Jarvis07 on 30 Jun 2021, 01:53, edited 2 times in total.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 30 [0]
Send PM
GMATNinja wrote:
A few of my best students have gotten their asses thoroughly kicked by this one, so please don’t feel badly if you struggled with it. (And most of the early responses look great!) Success on this question is mostly about your ability to be incredibly literal with the meaning, particularly as it relates to the pronouns in the sentence. (For more on pronouns, check out our good old YouTube webinar on the topic.)

Quote:
A. wild animals have less total fat than do livestock fed on grain and more of a kind of fat they think is

“They” has to refer back to a plural noun, but our only options are “studies” (which makes no sense, because studies can’t think) or “wild animals” (which also makes no sense, unless you think wild animals moonlight as nutritionists. (A) is out.

Quote:
B. wild animals have less total fat than livestock fed on grain and more of a kind of fat thought to be

There’s no pronoun here, so that’s cool. And I think the meaning works: “wild animals have less total fat than livestock fed on grain” is fine. The second part seems fine, too: “wild animals have… more of a kind of fat thought to be good for cardiac health.”

I don’t see any huge issues, so let’s keep (B).

Quote:

Quote:
D. total fat of wild animals is less than livestock fed on grain and they have more fat of a kind thought to be

This comparison is very clearly wrong: “total fat… is less than livestock.” You could, I suppose, also argue that the “they” isn’t 100% clear – but the illogical comparison is the most straightforward issue. (D) is out, too.

Quote:

GMATNinja Don't you think the literal meaning of (B) is incorrect? (B) translates to: wild animals less fat than they have the livestock fed on grains. Please let me know if I am wrong.

While (C) has the error with 'that', it clearly bypasses the ambiguity (B) has. If both have flaws, why did we prefer (B) over (C)?
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 10 [0]
Given Kudos: 47
Schools: ISB '23 (A)
GMAT 1: 700 Q49 V36
GPA: 3.63
Send PM
The problem with C is that it is incorrectly comparing wild animals with "that/total fat of livestock". To maintain parallelism and logic, wild animals have less fat than livestock (have) is correct.

Infact, this is a key trait to be looked out for in "than" comparisons. Was personally getting many such questions wrong before I understood this logic, hope it helps!

prasannar wrote:
I went for C. I strongly believe C is correct.

it was between B vs C.

B. wild animals have less total fat than livestock fed on grain and more of a kind of fat thought to be -> changes the meaning.

C. wild animals have less total fat than that of livestock fed on grain and have more fat of a kind thought to be -> correct proper comparison
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 4 [0]
Given Kudos: 1376
GMAT 1: 760 Q50 V44
Send PM
(A) wild animals have less total fat than do livestock fed on grain and more of a kind of fat they think is
who think? who is they? Studies?---Out

(B) wild animals have less total fat than livestock fed on grain and more of a kind of fat thought to be

(C) wild animals have less total fat than that of livestock fed on grain and have more fat of a kind thought to be
that here refers to fat

Now let's understand the meaning of this sentence with implied verb after than 'have' ---> In this case has because fat is singular
wild animals have less total fat than that of livestock fed has
i.e.
wild animals have less total fat than fat of livestock fed has
i.e.
wild animals have less total fat than fat has?
Meaning is illogical.

(D) total fat of wild animals is less than livestock fed on grain and they have more fat of a kind thought to be
Why is there an independent clause after 'and' and that too without comma? ---Out

(E) total fat is less in wild animals than that of livestock fed on grain and more of their fat is of a kind they think is
Same reason as (A) ---Out
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 13 [0]
Given Kudos: 70
Concentration: Finance, General Management
GPA: 3.2
Send PM
mikemcgarry wrote:
PiyushK wrote:
Refer official question: Confusion ??

Official Guide 10th SC #19:
In addition to having more protein than wheat does, the protein in rice is higher quality than that in wheat, with more of the amino acids essential to the human diet.

A. the protein in rice is higher quality than that in
B. rice has protein of higher quality than that in (correct)
C. the protein in rice is higher in quality than it is in
D. rice protein is higher in quality than it is in
E. rice has a protein higher in quality than (wrong)

Ron's explanation to above question :
"#19 is interesting. there's still LOGICAL parallelism - you have the protein contained in rice, and you have the protein contained in wheat - but the GRAMMATICAL parallelism isn't lock-step: you have "rice has protein" vs. "that in wheat". in other words, while both halves refer to the protein contained in a particular type of food, they do so in slightly different ways. The lesson here is that we shouldn't complain, but, rather, we should learn: if the logical parallelism is absolutely clear, then the gmat will tolerate slight anomalies from the ideal of exact grammatical parallelism."

According to recent studies comparing the nutritional value of meat from wild animals and meat from domesticated animals, wild animals have less total fat than do livestock fed on grain and more of a kind of fat they think is good for cardiac health.

A.wild animals have less total fat than do livestock fed on grain and more of a kind of fat they think is
B.wild animals have less total fat than livestock fed on grain and more of a kind of fat thought to be
C.wild animals have less total fat than that of livestock fed on grain and have more fat of a kind thought to be
D.total fat of wild animals is less than livestock fed on grain and they have more fat of a kind thought to be
E.total fat is less in wild animals than that of livestock fed on grain and more of their fat is of a kind they think is

PiyushK wrote:
Lots of confusion is going on following question in comparison to one old official question.
I am in favor of option C, but few experts are in favor of B, whereas one official answer is supporting my point. Could you please help me to understand why C is wrong

if I say : I have less money than that in box << would it be fine ??
I believe both B and C are correct styles of setting comparison because we are comparing total fats of both kinds of animals.

Dear PiyushK,
I am happy to respond to your p.m., my friend. :-) First of all, on the tricky topic of omitting words in parallel, see:
https://magoosh.com/gmat/2013/dropping-c ... -the-gmat/

In the OG question (OG10, SC #19), choice (B) is clearly the right answer ---- "rice has protein of a higher quality than the protein in wheat". The demonstrative pronoun (that, those) refer to a word or phrase explicitly mentioned earlier in the sentence. Since "protein" was mentioned, literally and explicitly, at an earlier point in the sentence, we can use "that" to substitute for it.

Now, the animal fat question. Hmmm. I don't know the source of this question, but I don't think it's a good question. When the word "than" follows a direct object, the comparison can be with either the subject or the object. In (C), if "that" stands for "total fat", then we are comparing object to object, which is correct. I know the MGMAT folks say that (B) is right and (C) is wrong, and they're very smart, but I say that a strong case can be mounted for either (B) or (C), and because of this, this is not a very well written question. This question is not up to the high standards of the GMAT.

In your sentence:
I have less money than that in box
the big problem is the missing article before "box"
I have less money than that in the box.
We could also phrase that as:
I have less money than is in that box.
This last version might be best, but the second version is logical & grammatical correct, if not completely idiomatically natural.

Does all this make sense?
Mike :-)

I think this makes a lot of sense. Option C can be logically and grammatically correct. An object is being compared to object.
Also, I saw various explanations saying that in C " wild animals have less total fat than that of livestock fed on grain" is implying that total fat of livestock fed on grain has some fat nonsensically. But I think this interpretation in illogical so no sensible reader would make this interpretation. Like in correct answer B "wild animals have less total fat than livestock fed on grain" no sensible reader would infer that wild animals have less otal fat than they have livestock. I couldn't find concrete reason for eliminating it. Please share your views. IanStewart AndrewN GMATNinja
Manager
Manager
Send PM
AndrewN wrote:
pk6969 wrote:
I think this makes a lot of sense. Option C can be logically and grammatically correct. An object is being compared to object.
Also, I saw various explanations saying that in C " wild animals have less total fat than that of livestock fed on grain" is implying that total fat of livestock fed on grain has some fat nonsensically. But I think this interpretation in illogical so no sensible reader would make this interpretation. Like in correct answer B "wild animals have less total fat than livestock fed on grain" no sensible reader would infer that wild animals have less otal fat than they have livestock. I couldn't find concrete reason for eliminating it. Please share your views. IanStewart AndrewN GMATNinja

Hello, pk6969. I bet you have practiced enough questions to know how rigidly GMAC™ likes to govern comparisons. My thoughts on this one? Let me put it this way. Answer choice (C) is similar to saying that Bill Gates holds more land than the land of any other American. Why am I not saying—in a direct person-to-person comparison—that Bill Gates holds more land than any other American holds? Of course, the verb can be substituted (does), and the placement of that substituted verb typically occurs before the second element in the comparison on the GMAT™ (i.e. than does any other American), but the sentence can also use ellipsis, and that appears to be the case here. In short, I see nothing wrong with (B), but (C) adopts a skewed comparison, so I would disfavor the latter.

- Andrew

I get what you are saying. Its that B is more appropriate and better at communicating than C is (could have used ellipsis construction here :P). I really hate these kind of questions when you can't find absolute errors so you have to stick to which one is better. It creates a room of uncertainty for me. Anyway thanks for clearing it.
Manager
Manager
Send PM
According to recent studies comparing the nutritional value of meat fr [#permalink]
IanStewart wrote:
pk6969 wrote:
Also, I saw various explanations saying that in C " wild animals have less total fat than that of livestock fed on grain" is implying that total fat of livestock fed on grain has some fat nonsensically. But I think this interpretation in illogical so no sensible reader would make this interpretation.

I don't really understand Mike's post that you've quoted, and I'll express more forcefully what Andrew just posted: answer C here is unequivocally wrong. If you take this sentence:

Wild animals have more fat than livestock.

then, as we often do in English, we've omitted a word or two that would make the comparison perfectly precise. The sentence could mean, just speaking syntactically and not semantically:

Wild animals have more fat than they have livestock.

but we rule that interpretation out, because its meaning is nonsensical. So the sentence must mean this:

Wild animals have more fat than livestock has.

There's no reason to include that final "has", because the meaning is clear without it, but that "has" is implied. Now take the construction in answer C, and include the implied "has":

Wild animals have more fat than that of livestock has."

You should now ask: "what on earth is the 'that of' doing there? What is it referring to?" And it can only refer to "fat", so this says: "Wild animals have more fat than the fat of livestock has", and we're now making an absurd comparison between the fat of animals, and the fat belonging to the fat of livestock. This is absolutely wrong, and very many GMAT SC comparison questions construct wrong answers in this way.

The construction is not analogous to the one in the other official question quoted earlier. If you write "rice protein is of higher quality than that in wheat" or something similar, the "that" refers to "protein", so this sentence says "rice protein is of higher quality than protein in wheat", which is perfectly fine -- we're comparing protein in one thing with protein in another thing. It would be completely wrong, however, to say "rice contains more protein than that in wheat", because then the word "that" makes no sense. You'd be comparing the protein in rice to the protein in the protein in wheat.

Hi , Thanks for taking out time to clear it. In the question in option C, there is no has. Its simply " wild animals have less total fat than that of livestock fed on grain". So if we interpret it, we will get "wild animals have less total fat than fat of livestock ". I think its clear enough. Also, I know the interpretation with has is also possible but its obviously illogical so we can eliminate that inference simply as we did in option B. Maybe I am thinking too much, but this is the way I see it. please tell where am I going wrong. Also, I agree that B is superior to C in terms of comparison, but I am not sure whether b contains any major error.
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 183 [0]
Given Kudos: 309
Send PM
kokusanhin wrote:
According to recent studies comparing the nutritional value of meat from wild animals and meat from domesticated animals, wild animals have less total fat than do livestock fed on grain and more of a kind of fat they think is good for cardiac health.

wild animals compared to livestock just doesn't make sense and who is they refering to

This doesn't feel wrong in the first glance therefore let us hang on to it

(C) wild animals have less total fat than that of livestock fed on grain and have more fat of a kind thought to be
wild animalsis vompared to livestock therefore the meaning isn't perfect

(D) total fat of wild animals is less than livestock fed on grain and they have more fat of a kind thought to be
we can't determine to whom they are refering to therefore out

(E) total fat is less in wild animals than that of livestock fed on grain and more of their fat is of a kind they think is
Similar flaws as in C and E

Therefore IMO B
GMAT Club Bot
   1   2   3   4   5   6   
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6920 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts