Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 06:38 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 06:38

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Difficulty: 555-605 Levelx   Grammatical/Rhetorical Constructionx   Parallelismx   Verb Tense/Formx                              
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Experts' Global Representative
Own Kudos [?]: 4683 [0]
Given Kudos: 38
GMAT Date: 11-01-2019
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 8 [0]
Given Kudos: 217
GMAT 1: 600 Q46 V27
Send PM
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 4653 [1]
Given Kudos: 629
GMAT Focus 1:
715 Q83 V90 DI83
GMAT 1: 780 Q50 V51
GRE 1: Q170 V169
Send PM
Manhattan Prep Instructor
Own Kudos [?]: 7775 [2]
Given Kudos: 55
GMAT 2: 780  Q50  V50
Send PM
Re: According to scientists who monitored its path, an expanding cloud [#permalink]
Kudos
Expert Reply
dcoolguy

I think AjiteshArun makes some excellent points above. I'll add that "it" in D and E is more than unnecessary; it makes the two options immediately wrong. I wouldn't bother to consider meaning in these choices because I'd already have knocked them out on an initial scan. The clause "it knocked . . . " can't be parallel to either "brightened" or "brightening."

I agree that some have been too quick to assume that the intended meaning is clear. Having said that, if the first 3 choices all convey the same meaning AND if that meaning is not clearly flawed, we're not likely to see a new meaning show up as correct. It's not quite as simple as majority rule or "stick with the meaning of A"--both of those can go wrong--but we are trying to use all 5 choices to see what the intended meaning is, and that's little reason to depart from the meaning in A-C. On examination, it makes more sense, and then when you notice that D-E lose the part about the Sun, you can be quite confident that the meaning is off.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 204 [0]
Given Kudos: 95
GMAT 1: 710 Q49 V38
GPA: 4
Send PM
Re: According to scientists who monitored its path, an expanding cloud [#permalink]
This is a case of cause and effect.

We need -ing modifiers and not -ed modifiers (past participles show intention but in this case, brightening and knocking are not intentional)

A. Brightened - wrong
B. Brightened - wrong
D. Brightened - wrong
E. Knocked - wrong
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 67 [0]
Given Kudos: 626
Send PM
Hi experts,

I read this question many times/the explanations on GMATCLUB. Unfortunately, I am still having a hard time wrapping my head around the subjecting being a large storm or an expanding cloud of energized particles... isolating this issue from the other flaws in the incorrect answer choices. I like Choice D except for the "it" at the end. Any further clarification on my conundrum would be greatly appreciated. Many thanks!
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 0 [0]
Given Kudos: 108
Send PM
Easiest way to solve this question is to look at the end. Only C is parallel
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 99 [0]
Given Kudos: 197
GPA: 4
Send PM
I wonder how GMAT treats information deleted from choices, for e.g. D and E, Completely remove "from the sun"? - The OG Explanation or D does say "The info. that the cloud particles were from the sun is lost", so it does seem they care about it.

But I would love it if experts can weigh in, and share how GMAT treats other similar sentences and if missing info is a red flag or if it can be acceptable under the right circumstances.

KarishmaB GMATNinja GMATNinjaTwo AndrewN, AjiteshArun MartyTargetTestPrep

Thanks
Volunteer Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 6856 [2]
Given Kudos: 500
Kudos