GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 18 Sep 2018, 06:44

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

According to the National Pasta Association, per-capita

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Re: According to the National Pasta Association, per-capita  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post Updated on: 08 Apr 2013, 19:46
mmagyar wrote:
Try this: "The student in biology who is being disruptive will be given detention."

According to your summary, "who" cannot modify student because there is a prepositional phrase starting with "in" in the way. However, the sentence is grammatically correct and "who" properly modifies "student." Why? Because "the student in biology" is an entire noun phrase - "in biology" is not modifying the verb and is instead modifying the noun "the student" by restricting which student we are talking about.

"Student in biology" is incorrect itself -- correct usage is "student of biology", and here biology is attributable to student. Hence, "who" is correctly modifying student.

I believe you misunderstood what I wrote earlier. I wrote "of" and "in" as example ... I wrote before that "something like" to indicate those as example. What I meant there is, if there is a modifier right before the modifier in question, then the modifier in question modifies the noun preceding previous modifier. I know this logic is true and in line with what e-GMAT wrote. However, you are welcome to stick to your own idea which may not help you.

Originally posted by doe007 on 08 Apr 2013, 18:41.
Last edited by doe007 on 08 Apr 2013, 19:46, edited 2 times in total.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Show Tags

New post 08 Apr 2013, 18:59
Option A has two mistakes:
1. Modifier issue: "which" is referring to "united States" here whereas "which" should modify "per-capita consumption (of pasta)".
2. Incorrect use of "achieve". Consumption cannot achieve but reach.

IMHO, obvious correct answer is option E and the OA is not debatable. I second with what nishtil wrote.
Retired Moderator
Premium Member

Show Tags

New post 20 Apr 2013, 15:59
E is correct. Here my 2 cents.

(A) According to the National Pasta Association, per-capita consumption of pasta in the United States, which has already been approaching 19 pounds a year, will achieve 30 pounds a year by the twenty-first century.
Wrong. Modifier problem.

(B) Already approaching 19 pounds a year in the United States, the National Pasta Association predicts that per-capita consumption of pasta will reach 30 pounds a year by the twenty-first century.
Wrong. Modifier problem.

(C) The National Pasta association predicts by the twenty-first century that per-capita consumption of pasta in the United States, which is already approaching 19 pounds a year, will reach 30 pounds a year.
Wrong. Modifier problem.

(D) By the twenty-first century, the National Pasta Association predicts that per-capita consumption of pasta in the United States, having already approached 19 pounds a year, will reach 30 pounds a year.
Wrong. Change meaning.

(E) According to the National Pasta Association, per-capita consumption of pasta in the United States is already approaching 19 pounds a year and will reach 30 pounds a year by the twenty-first century.
Correct.

Please +1 KUDO if my post helps. Thank you.

"Designing cars consumes you; it has a hold on your spirit which is incredibly powerful. It's not something you can do part time, you have do it with all your heart and soul or you're going to get it wrong."

Chris Bangle - Former BMW Chief of Design.

Intern
Intern
GMAT ToolKit User

Show Tags

New post 29 Dec 2013, 05:19
WinIT wrote:
53. According to the National Pasta Association, per-capita consumption of pasta in the United States, which has already been approaching 19 pounds a year, will achieve 30 pounds a year by the twenty-first century.
(A) According to the National Pasta Association, per-capita consumption of pasta in the United States, which has already been approaching 19 pounds a year, will achieve 30 pounds a year by the twenty-first century.
(B) Already approaching 19 pounds a year in the United States, the National Pasta Association predicts that per-capita consumption of pasta will reach 30 pounds a year by the twenty-fi(E) According to the National Pasta Association, per-capita consumption of pasta in the United States is already approaching 19 pounds a year and will reach 30 pounds a year by the twenty-first century.

rst century.
(C) The National Pasta association predicts by the twenty-first century that per-capita consumption of pasta in the United States, which is already approaching 19 pounds a year, will reach 30 pounds a year.
(D) By the twenty-first century, the National Pasta Association predicts that per-capita consumption of pasta in the United States, having already approached 19 pounds a year, will reach 30 pounds a year.

I thought for E but saw incorrect parallelism and selected A cause in "United States" seems as irreplaceable in clause.Please help!
E doesn't follow parallelism.
Manager
Manager

Show Tags

New post 29 Dec 2013, 05:42
According to the National Pasta Association, per-capita consumption of pasta in the United States, which has already been approaching 19 pounds a year, will achieve 30 pounds a year by the twenty-first century.
(A) According to the National Pasta Association, per-capita consumption of pasta in the United States, which has already been approaching 19 pounds a year, will achieve 30 pounds a year by the twenty-first century. - How can consumption "achieve" something?
(B) Already approaching 19 pounds a year in the United States, the National Pasta Association predicts that per-capita consumption of pasta will reach 30 pounds a year by the twenty-first century. -The national pasta association is approaching 19 pounds? Not the consumption?
Notes : "Approaching 19 pounds a year" is a participle phrase which must modify the next closest noun.

(C) The National Pasta association predicts by the twenty-first century that per-capita consumption of pasta in the United States, which is already approaching 19 pounds a year, will reach 30 pounds a year. - Why will the pasta association predict something by 21st century? Prediction is happening right now.
(D) By the twenty-first century, the National Pasta Association predicts that per-capita consumption of pasta in the United States, having already approached 19 pounds a year, will reach 30 pounds a year. Reach would be an appropriate word instead of approach.
(E) According to the National Pasta Association, per-capita consumption of pasta in the United States is already approaching 19 pounds a year and will reach 30 pounds a year by the twenty-first century. Proper structure. Present continuous complemented well by future tense. Something is approaching something and as a result of this, something will happen.

Read my posts...
What are modifiers ??

Manager
Manager
B
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member
According to the National Pasta Association, per-capita  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 12 Aug 2014, 00:49
According to the National Pasta Association, per-capita consumption of pasta in the United States, which has already been approaching 19 pounds a year, will achieve 30 pounds a year by the twenty-first century.

A. According to the National Pasta Association, per-capita consumption of pasta in the United States, which has already been approaching 19 pounds a year, will achieve 30 pounds a year by the twenty-first century.

B. Already approaching 19 pounds a year in the United States, the National Pasta Association predicts that per-capita consumption of pasta will reach 30 pounds a year by the twenty-first century.

C. The National Pasta association predicts by the twenty-first century that per-capita consumption of pasta in the United States, which is already approaching 19 pounds a year, will reach 30 pounds a year.

D. By the twenty-first century, the National Pasta Association predicts that per-capita consumption of pasta in the United States, having already approached 19 pounds a year, will reach 30 pounds a year.

E. According to the National Pasta Association, per-capita consumption of pasta in the United States is already approaching 19 pounds a year and will reach 30 pounds a year by the twenty-first century.

I chose E. However, I can't figure out whether the modifier "which has already been approaching 19 pounds a year" refers to "consumption" or "the U.S.". Normally, noun modifier can modify slightly far away noun as in this link " http://gmatclub.com/forum/noun-modifier ... 35868.html " if using that modifier will not create ambiguous. In this sentence, "19 pounds a year" cannot be used to describe "the U.S"; thus, I think that this modifier refersto "consumption". However, as I read, many folks mention that using this modifier can modify "the U.S", leaving me a huge confusion.

Experts, please help to explain this issue to me! Many thanks and kudos for you!

Start to fall in love with GMAT <3

Intern
Intern
Concentration: Marketing, Entrepreneurship
Schools: Molson '17 (M)
GMAT Date: 08-20-2014
GPA: 3.34

Show Tags

New post 12 Aug 2014, 01:12
LucyDang wrote:

A. According to the National Pasta Association, per-capita consumption of pasta in the United States, which has already been approaching 19 pounds a year, will achieve 30 pounds a year by the twenty-first century.

B. Already approaching 19 pounds a year in the United States, the National Pasta Association predicts that per-capita consumption of pasta will reach 30 pounds a year by the twenty-first century.

C. The National Pasta association predicts by the twenty-first century that per-capita consumption of pasta in the United States, which is already approaching 19 pounds a year, will reach 30 pounds a year.

D. By the twenty-first century, the National Pasta Association predicts that per-capita consumption of pasta in the United States, having already approached 19 pounds a year, will reach 30 pounds a year.

E. According to the National Pasta Association, per-capita consumption of pasta in the United States is already approaching 19 pounds a year and will reach 30 pounds a year by the twenty-first century.

I chose E. However, I can't figure out whether the modifier "which has already been approaching 19 pounds a year" refers to "consumption" or "the U.S.". Normally, noun modifier can modify slightly far away noun as in this link " noun-modifiers-can-modify-slightly-far-away-noun-135868.html " if using that modifier will not create ambiguous. In this sentence, "19 pounds a year" cannot be used to describe "the U.S"; thus, I think that this modifier refersto "consumption". However, as I read, many folks mention that using this modifier can modify "the U.S", leaving me a huge confusion.

Experts, please help to explain this issue to me! Many thanks and kudos for you!

Hey Maybe i can help here.
IMO E
"which has already been approaching 19 pounds a year"refers to "consumption"..Lets see meaning of each choice

A. According to the National Pasta Association, per-capita consumption of pasta in the United States, which has already been approaching 19 pounds a year, will achieve 30 pounds a year by the twenty-first century. - In this option, "which" incorrectly modifies United states.United states cannot approach 19 pounds/yr. It has to be some quantity which must reach the value of 19p/yr.[/color]

B. Already approaching 19 pounds a year in the United States, the National Pasta Association predicts that per-capita consumption of pasta will reach 30 pounds a year by the twenty-first century. -- Incorrectly worded sentence..Here the " National Pasta Association " seems to modify "approaching 19 pounds a year in the United States"

C. The National Pasta association predicts by the twenty-first century that per-capita consumption of pasta in the United States, which is already approaching 19 pounds a year, will reach 30 pounds a year. ---Meaning changes here "National Pasta association predicts" by the" twenty-first century" is not the intended meaning.

D. By the twenty-first century, the National Pasta Association predicts that per-capita consumption of pasta in the United States, having already approached 19 pounds a year, will reach 30 pounds a year. ---Same error as above

E. According to the National Pasta Association, per-capita consumption of pasta in the United States is already approaching 19 pounds a year and will reach 30 pounds a year by the twenty-first century. -- Perfectly worded
Manager
Manager
B
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member

Show Tags

New post 12 Aug 2014, 01:22
sachinwar wrote:

Hey Maybe i can help here.
IMO E
"which has already been approaching 19 pounds a year"refers to "consumption"..Lets see meaning of each choice

A. According to the National Pasta Association, per-capita consumption of pasta in the United States, which has already been approaching 19 pounds a year, will achieve 30 pounds a year by the twenty-first century. --- In this option, "which" incorrectly modifies United states[color=#ff0000].United states cannot approach 19 pounds/yr. It has to be some quantity which must reach the value of 19p/yr.
[/color]

B. Already approaching 19 pounds a year in the United States, the National Pasta Association predicts that per-capita consumption of pasta will reach 30 pounds a year by the twenty-first century. -- Incorrectly worded sentence..Here the " National Pasta Association " seems to modify "approaching 19 pounds a year in the United States"

C. The National Pasta association predicts by the twenty-first century that per-capita consumption of pasta in the United States, which is already approaching 19 pounds a year, will reach 30 pounds a year. ---Meaning changes here "National Pasta association predicts" by the" twenty-first century" is not the intended meaning.

D. By the twenty-first century, the National Pasta Association predicts that per-capita consumption of pasta in the United States, having already approached 19 pounds a year, will reach 30 pounds a year. ---Same error as above

E. According to the National Pasta Association, per-capita consumption of pasta in the United States is already approaching 19 pounds a year and will reach 30 pounds a year by the twenty-first century. -- Perfectly worded

Hey sachinwar,

Many thanks for your prompt response! Your explanation for choice A is exactly what I want to understand. My point is that since "19 pounds" cannot modify "the U.S", placing the modifier "which..." in this position will not create ambiguous and clearly refer to "consumption". Please read the similar situation and related theory in this link: noun-modifiers-can-modify-slightly-far-away-noun-135868.html

Lucy

Start to fall in love with GMAT <3

Board of Directors
V
Premium Member Reviews Badge CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 09 Mar 2017, 03:42
(A) According to the National Pasta Association, per-capita consumption of pasta in the United States, which has already been approaching 19 pounds a year, will achieve 30 pounds a year by the twenty-first century. --> WHICH is referring to US. Hence, incorrect
(B) Already approaching 19 pounds a year in the United States, the National Pasta Association predicts that per-capita consumption of pasta will reach 30 pounds a year by the twenty-first century. --> Illogically modifying NPA.
(C) The National Pasta association predicts by the twenty-first century that per-capita consumption of pasta in the United States, which is already approaching 19 pounds a year, will reach 30 pounds a year. --> Same as A.
(D) By the twenty-first century, the National Pasta Association predicts that per-capita consumption of pasta in the United States, having already approached 19 pounds a year, will reach 30 pounds a year. --> They will predict by 21st century. LOL.
(E) According to the National Pasta Association, per-capita consumption of pasta in the United States is already approaching 19 pounds a year and will reach 30 pounds a year by the twenty-first century.--> CORRECT

My GMAT Story: From V21 to V40
My MBA Journey: My 10 years long MBA Dream
My Secret Hacks: Best way to use GMATClub | Importance of an Error Log!
Verbal Resources: All SC Resources at one place | All CR Resources at one place
Blog: Subscribe to Question of the Day Blog

GMAT Club Inbuilt Error Log Functionality - View More.
New Visa Forum - Ask all your Visa Related Questions - here.

New! Best Reply Functionality on GMAT Club!

Find a bug in the new email templates and get rewarded with 2 weeks of GMATClub Tests for free

Intern
Intern
B
Concentration: Finance, Marketing
WE: Supply Chain Management (Energy and Utilities)

Show Tags

New post 19 Mar 2017, 01:22
53. According to the National Pasta Association, per-capita consumption of pasta in the United States, which has already been approaching 19 pounds a year, will achieve 30 pounds a year by the twenty-first century.

WHICH is modifying United States and not the per capita comsumption. - Wrong.

(B) Already approaching 19 pounds a year in the United States, the National Pasta Association predicts that per-capita consumption of pasta will reach 30 pounds a year by the twenty-first century.
The National Pasta Asso is not approaching 19 pounds but the per capita comsumption. - Misplaced modifier issues.

It says The National Pasta Asso predicts by the 21st Century, but the asso is predicting now about the future. Misplaced Modifier issues.

Similar to D.

(E) According to the National Pasta Association, per-capita consumption of pasta in the United States is already approaching 19 pounds a year and will reach 30 pounds a year by the twenty-first century.
Correct Choice.
Manager
Manager
G
GPA: 3.33
WE: Accounting (Accounting)
GMAT ToolKit User

Show Tags

New post 06 Mar 2018, 13:31
53. According to the National Pasta Association, per-capita consumption of pasta in the United States, which has already been approaching 19 pounds a year, will achieve 30 pounds a year by the twenty-first century. -> passive and run-on
(A) According to the National Pasta Association, per-capita consumption of pasta in the United States, which has already been approaching 19 pounds a year, will achieve 30 pounds a year by the twenty-first century. -> passive and wrong structure
(D) By the twenty-first century, the National Pasta Association predicts that per-capita consumption of pasta in the United States, having already approached 19 pounds a year, will reach 30 pounds a year. -> meaning changed
(E) According to the National Pasta Association, per-capita consumption of pasta in the United States is already approaching 19 pounds a year and will reach 30 pounds a year by the twenty-first century. -> correct
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
P
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member Reviews Badge CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 23 Jun 2018, 22:12
E is not parallel then still why E is correct.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
S

Show Tags

New post 25 Jun 2018, 07:53
in choice A, "which has been approaching..." is wrong tense. approaching can not begin in the past and continue until present.
"is approaching..." is logic tense.
Re: According to the National Pasta Association, per-capita &nbs [#permalink] 25 Jun 2018, 07:53

Go to page   Previous    1   2   3   [ 53 posts ] 

According to the National Pasta Association, per-capita

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Events & Promotions

PREV
NEXT

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap