Last visit was: 23 Apr 2024, 11:54 It is currently 23 Apr 2024, 11:54

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Math Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 618569 [87]
Given Kudos: 81562
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 326 [17]
Given Kudos: 334
Concentration: General Management, Strategy
WE:Information Technology (Other)
Send PM
General Discussion
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 265 [1]
Given Kudos: 144
GPA: 4
WE:Information Technology (Computer Software)
Send PM
Board of Directors
Own Kudos [?]: 4688 [1]
Given Kudos: 463
GPA: 3.5
WE:Business Development (Commercial Banking)
Send PM
Re: According to the professor's philosophy, the antidote to envy is one's [#permalink]
Bunuel wrote:
According to the professor's philosophy, the antidote to envy is one's own work, always one's own work: not thinking about it, not assessing it, but simply doing it.

(A) one's own work, always one's own work: not thinking about it, not assessing it, but simply doing it

(B) always work; because you don't think about it or assess it, you just do it

(C) always one's own work: not thinking about or assessing it, but simply to do it

(D) not to think or assess, but doing one's own work

(E) neither to think about one's own work nor to assess it, it is always simply doing it

IMHO (A)

According to the professor's philosophy, the antidote to envy is one's own work, always one's own work:
    not thinking about it,
    not assessing it,
    but simply doing it.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 326 [1]
Given Kudos: 334
WE:Information Technology (Other)
Send PM
Re: According to the professor's philosophy, the antidote to envy is one's [#permalink]
Kudos
DharLog wrote:
Bunuel wrote:
According to the professor's philosophy, the antidote to envy is one's own work, always one's own work: not thinking about it, not assessing it, but simply doing it.

(A) one's own work, always one's own work: not thinking about it, not assessing it, but simply doing it

(C) always one's own work: not thinking about or assessing it, but simply to do it

(E) neither to think about one's own work nor to assess it, it is always simply doing it

We understand that "think", "asses" and "do" have to be parellel to each other. But it is not the case in C, D, E, so these options are out.

Now between B and A.
In B we we have semicolon after "work", and then follows "because". It can not be. Because after semicolon must follow the independent clause, but "because" shows the continuation of the first caluse - some explanation. So B is out.

A - good.

Want to add something.

Such option of (E) might be right. (As I think)

neither to think about one's own work nor to assess it; it is always simply doing it

semicolon instead comma
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 213 [0]
Given Kudos: 3
Send PM
Akash720 wrote:
+1 for E

A - 'it' here is ambiguos.

B - 'always work', this changes the meaning as it removes own work from the sentence.

C - Not X, but Y. X and Y are kot parallel.

D - Changes the meaning as it doesn't tell us about what to think or assess about

E - 'It' clearly refers to work. This conveys the meaning correctly.

Please correct me if I'm wrong

Posted from my mobile device
E is wrong because 2 independent clause are joined by a comma

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3003 using GMAT Club Forum mobile app
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 213 [0]
Given Kudos: 3
Send PM
DharLog wrote:
DharLog wrote:
Bunuel wrote:

We understand that "think", "asses" and "do" have to be parellel to each other. But it is not the case in C, D, E, so these options are out.

Now between B and A.
In B we we have semicolon after "work", and then follows "because". It can not be. Because after semicolon must follow the independent clause, but "because" shows the continuation of the first caluse - some explanation. So B is out.

A - good.

Want to add something.

Such option of (E) might be right. (As I think)

neither to think about one's own work nor to assess it; it is always simply doing it

semicolon instead comma
But this adds another error
Using two *it* in the same sentence used in different sense ----> once as a placeholder and other as a substitute for *work*

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3003 using GMAT Club Forum mobile app
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 1988 [0]
Given Kudos: 751
GPA: 3.64
Send PM

(A) one's own work, always one's own work: not thinking about it, not assessing it, but simply doing it - Maintains parallelism. Correct

(B) always work; because you don't think about it or assess it, you just do it - Requires and independent clause after semicolon.

(C) always one's own work: not thinking about or assessing it, but simply to do it - Not parallel

(D) not to think or assess, but doing one's own work - Not parallel

(E) neither to think about one's own work nor to assess it, it is always simply doing it[/quote] - Not a sentence.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 20 [1]
Given Kudos: 405
Send PM
Kudos
Why doesn't A fall into the category of concision/redundancy?
My thinking was that the repetition of "one's own work, always one's own work" does not seem to adhere to the GMAT's standards of a concise and effective business communication.
Bunuel - please advice
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 31 [0]
Given Kudos: 36
Schools: IIMB EPGP'23
GMAT 1: 640 Q50 V25
Send PM
mba20202022 wrote:
Why doesn't A fall into the category of concision/redundancy?
My thinking was that the repetition of "one's own work, always one's own work" does not seem to adhere to the GMAT's standards of a concise and effective business communication.
Bunuel - please advice

I have the same issue. Can someone please address it? I could not understand why the author has repeated it? To me the repeat usage sounded redundant. Hence so as soon as I read the sentence stem, I presumed option "(A)" to be wrong !!!!
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 101 [0]
Given Kudos: 227
Send PM
Not very easy to get his intention here. D makes a lot of sense, meaningwise, even if the tenses are not parallel.

D sounds like a proper aphorism. "Dont think too much (in general), dont assess too much (in general), just take care of your own business."

A sounds a little alien. "Dont think about your own work, dont assess your own work, just do it."

Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 183 [0]
Given Kudos: 309
Send PM
According to the professor's philosophy, the antidote to envy is one's [#permalink]
Bunuel wrote:

because cannot be associated with independent clause it's attrivuted to dependent clauses

do verb isn't correct doing is the right one to use in addition there's a parallelism error between to do and always work

This sentence don't convey the right meaning but rather distorts it

Pretty tough one however since there is a parallelism error work and doing it

Even A seems wordy and long since it's better than wrong answer therefore IMO A
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 0 [0]
Given Kudos: 10
Send PM
Would option C be correct if it is reworded as :"always one's own work: not thinking about or assessing it, but simply doing it", as option A seemed redundant but I chose it because it did not have the parallelism error which is there in option C, but if C was written as mentioned above, would it not be a better choice?
Experts' Global Representative
Own Kudos [?]: 4683 [1]
Given Kudos: 38
GMAT Date: 11-01-2019
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
priyanshi1804 wrote:
Would option C be correct if it is reworded as :"always one's own work: not thinking about or assessing it, but simply doing it", as option A seemed redundant but I chose it because it did not have the parallelism error which is there in option C, but if C was written as mentioned above, would it not be a better choice?

Hello priyanshi1804,

We hope this finds you well.

To answer your query, the version of Option C you have put forward is grammatically correct and would be more concise than A, making it the superior choice.

We hope this helps.
All the best!
Experts' Global Team
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 13 [0]
Given Kudos: 22
Send PM
Bunuel wrote:

B, C, D, and E are ambiguous in what the phrases are trying to accomplish, or they violate parallelism

A is the most clear, even with the additional phrase "one's own work" with "always one's own work"
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 0 [0]
Given Kudos: 5
Send PM
According to the professor's philosophy, the antidote to envy is one's [#permalink]
Akash720 wrote:
+1 for E

A - 'it' here is ambiguos.

B - 'always work', this changes the meaning as it removes own work from the sentence.

C - Not X, but Y. X and Y are kot parallel.

D - Changes the meaning as it doesn't tell us about what to think or assess about

E - 'It' clearly refers to work. This conveys the meaning correctly.

Please correct me if I'm wrong

Here, In E option, we have two Independent Clause connected by comma, which is Incorrect
Non-Human User
Own Kudos [?]: 848 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Hello from the GMAT Club VerbalBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
GMAT Club Bot
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6917 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts